• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Capndrake said:
Hudson told me that they have no more plans to release any TG16 games in the US and Europe now :(

Hudson's last few Wii Ware titles haven't exactly struck me with confidence. (Then again, I never was much of a Bomberman fan.)

Lakupo

I've heard (but haven't been able to confirm) that getting a VC game rated by the ESRB costs a ridiculous amount of money, so perhaps the cost-benefit ratio has made Hudson pull back? Of course, nothing would get released on VC if the cost was so ridiculous, but I'm still starting to wonder if there's some part of the process behind the scenes that's impeding the release of good games.

Somnid

Lakupo said:
I've heard (but haven't been able to confirm) that getting a VC game rated by the ESRB costs a ridiculous amount of money, so perhaps the cost-benefit ratio has made Hudson pull back? Of course, nothing would get released on VC if the cost was so ridiculous, but I'm still starting to wonder if there's some part of the process behind the scenes that's impeding the release of good games.

I can't imagine they lost money but I could see them just breaking even or not making very much. I'm sure they thought that people working on those could be used for more profitable ventures.

Lakupo said:

There sure is, it's called Nintendo of America.

TJ Spyke

Lakupo said:

It's actually not that much. It costs $800 if the development costs less than $250K (which would include most WiiWare/PSN/XBLA games), or $4K if the development costs more than $250K.

joedick

TJ Spyke said:
It's a Konami game (yes I know that Hudson Soft is owned by Konami), so Konami just has to do it themselves.

Yeah, but I think Hudson controls the flow of TG games on VC, much like Nintendo does for NES, SNES, etc.

Also, for those who were just asking about Nintendo's cut, I think I remember hearing that Nintendo pays the publisher for the rights to put the game on VC, and then they give a small cut to the publisher for each sale. Hudson does the same with TG games.

I remember hearing this, but I'm not certain this is how it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

joedick

TJ Spyke said:
If Konami wanted to they could just do the VC releases themselves, technically the games belong to them.

But it's not getting on until Nintendo puts it on. And I think Hudson has a say in all the TG releases. I can't back that though, I just remember reading it somewhere. If anybody has more concrete info, please post!

Any predictions for tomorrow? Since it`s Christmas week I predict at least two virtual console games: Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium and Earthbound.

TJ Spyke

I think we will get Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. It has been out in PAL regions since Halloween and was just rated by the ESRB. For the record, here's how the first two Christmas weeks went:

December 25, 2006
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
ToeJam & Earl (Genesis)
R-Type (TG16)

December 24, 2007
Blades of Steel (NES)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)
Rolling Thunder 2 (Genesis)

Also, both ClayFighter for the Genesis and Earthworm Jim 2 for the Genesis should be coming out this week or the 29th. Both were confirmed for 2008 releases by Sega back in April.

HUELEN10

Mockingbird said:
Any predictions for tomorrow? Since it`s Christmas week I predict at least two virtual console games: Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium and Earthbound.
My predictions are Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, or Mario's Super Picross.

MAKE IT HAPPEN ALREADY NINTY!

Jiggy

jaundicejuice said:
There sure is, it's called Nintendo of America.
Yep.

If I were Hudson, I don't see why I'd want to continue putting phenomenal efforts into Virtual Console releases--exceeding those of Nintendo's own SNES and N64 output combined, despite being a company so much smaller--only to have them miscommunicate with me on release dates more than a couple times. And if the slow releases are a result of Nintendo's own staggered and sluggish release schedule (which I believe but don't know for certain--whereas Hudson would know) rather than, say, lack of third-party participation, that would merely add a second reason I'd hesitate to bother with VC as a company. No reason to have something ready to go and then need to wait months before NOA could "fit it in."

On the bright side, Hudson's not short of IPs that I'd like to see original entries for. Neutopia III, a new full-fledged Star Soldier or Star Parodier, a Bomberman in the vein of Bomberman 64 (most unique of the series)... They already brought back Alien Crush and they're supposedly working on Adventure Island, so hey, keep on delivering the goods, guys.

Not bad, but I'm hoping there'll be more than just those two - recent VC weeks have had more titles and it would be a pity if our Christmas update was so scant, even if it did bring us SoM.

Luigison

I'm curious about what we will get in NA today since it's Christmas week and they are doing Club Nintendo now. I wonder how/when/if Club Nintendo will list the new titles.

Also, any word on when the Fridge SD is coming. I'm really hurting for space now. I've deleted all the channels I can except the Check Mii Out channel or whatever it's called and that only leaves me with enough room for five VC/WW titles. I've even went in and deleted a lot of saves, but still can't keep my most often played titles in the menu.

DDayton

Hmm.

Nintendo Channel is currently listing Tiki Towers for release today, and that's ALL it's listing. Last week both WiiWare games were visible after midnight, this week only one game is there... I wonder if we'll be getting 2-3 VC games and just 1 WW game this time?

DDayton

I think I finally ran out of the $10 Wal-Mart 2000 Points / Classic Controller skin combos I've had sitting in my closet since February.

I may have to start buying full priced points again.

Bleh.

Anyone know of a source for discount Wii points these days?

Edit:

Tiki Towers, Fun! Fun! Minigolf, and Phantasy Star IV.

tim1138

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 22, 2008 - Did you think Grandma's house was the only travel destination on your itinerary this holiday season? Think again. Thanks to the Wii™ Shop Channel, you've got some extraordinary places to see, from tropical islands and exotic golf courses to a faraway planet in need of triumphant heroes. Whether you play solo or with family and friends, these awesome new offerings are sure to deliver an extra dose of holiday cheer.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Tiki Towers™ (RealArcade, 1 -2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Tiki Towers is a game of construction, destruction, problem-solving and monkeys. Reclaim the islands of your tribe by defeating a series of evil enemy chiefs. Work with your monkey friends to build towers out of bamboo poles, coconuts and vines. Match wits against the enemy chiefs bent on destroying your towers and driving you from the islands. Navigate levels filled with crazy building challenges, and deal with unfriendly wildlife and other environmental obstacles. Get your monkeys to chant for the BananaMana necessary to counter enemy attacks. Play in either single-player or two-player cooperative mode in this game where monkeys rule.

Fun! Fun! Minigolf (Shin'en Multimedia, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 900 Wii Points): Play minigolf with your friends in beautiful environments. Choose a character and turn your Wii Remote™ controller into a golf club. With its easy-to-use controls, all you need to do is aim, swing and see who's the best putter. Play 27 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Go for gold in single-player mode, or invite your friends. Fun! Fun! Minigolf supports up to four players. You can use one to four Wii Remote controllers. Fun! Fun! Minigolf is the ultimate party game for everyone.

Virtual Console™

Phantasy Star™ IV (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Fantasy Violence, Mild Sexual Themes, 800 Wii Points): Phantasy Star IV is the fourth released game from SEGA's epic Phantasy Star series, one of SEGA's biggest RPGs on the SEGA GENESIS. In the year AW 2284, planet Motavia is once again plagued by strange biocreatures, and it's up to the brave men and women of the Hunters Guild to exterminate them. You are Chaz Ashley, a rookie Hunter straight out of training who is supported by Alys Brangwin-a crafty veteran whose good looks and prowess with the blade have earned her an awesome reputation. These two Hunters, along with a cast of supporting characters, will go beyond Motavia to unwittingly save their entire solar system.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

any chance of a Wii Internet Channel Update? I want a damn update my laptop is dead and I cannot afford a new one

Please update the damn Internet Channel with a better flash player at least

DDayton

Smiles and Cries said:
any chance of a Wii Internet Channel Update? I want a damn update my laptop is dead and I cannot afford a new one

Please update the damn Internet Channel with a better flash player at least

That's right... there WAS some crazy rumor about that, wasn't there?

Somnid

Woah, that golf game actually looks good. We'll need some impressions.

I also figured Phatasy Star IV would hit this week, it's one of the last big titles hanging out in North American release limbo with Castlevania 3. We can finally cross it off the check list now.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Tiki Towers looks kind of like World of Goo but with monkeys and pretty bleh graphics.

That Golf game looks really nice though. When that comes out here in Europe I might have to nab a copy.

Neo Samus

Ooh, PSIV. Is it ok to get if I've never played PSII. Will that be a problem?

That mini golf game looks good too. Waiting on impressions.

Ranger X

At least this week the failure update of the VC is at least a good game.

Still, since there is never 2 games updated at the time, it will probably take forever until I ever buy something else.

Top Bottom