• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Just dl'd Secret of Mana! Fuck yeah. Still have 1200 points. I was considering a Phantasy Star game, but don't know if I'll like it. Which ones should I go for. Also never played Shining Force. Help!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Choke on the Magic said:
Just dl'd Secret of Mana! Fuck yeah. Still have 1200 points. I was considering a Phantasy Star game, but don't know if I'll like it. Which ones should I go for. Also never played Shining Force. Help!

2 and 4 are fuck-amazing and some of the finest games ever made. 3 isn't terrible, but it hardly compares to the others. I hope we get #1 for SMS on it soon, that's another fantastic game. 4 is better for a newbie to the series (it also has amazing production values for the time), since 2 is a really intense and challenging dungeon hack, but quite a number of the references in 4 will be missed if you haven't played the others.

levious said:
wiimotes won't work with SNES games
It's really too bad they don't tinker more with control possibilities on a case-by-case basis. Using homebrew SNES emulators it's not always so hard to get a game wiimote-friendly if there are only two or three major buttons; that's only one less than what so many SNES->GBA ports had to work with.

Volcynika

No one posted the PR yet?

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 29, 2008 - Champagne? Check. Confetti? Got it. But you're not fully prepared for New Year's revelry unless your Nintendo game library is stocked with games to please everyone under the sun. As always, the Wii™ Shop Channel is open 24 hours a day for your downloading pleasure. The final slate of new game offerings for 2008 includes a couple of wild multiplayer titles on WiiWare™, plus an enthralling sci-fi title for the Virtual Console™. Load up and enjoy!

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Maboshi's Arcade™ (Nintendo, 1-3 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Featuring three distinct modes and simultaneous play across three game windows, the constantly changing environment of Maboshi's Arcade creates an atmosphere unlike any other. Each of the modes is based on one of three familiar shapes (circle, stick and square) and offers the same goal: score a million points. Use the intuitive controls to bash enemies in Circle mode, weave your way through Stick mode or burn a path around obstacles in Square mode-all while dealing with power-up items and keeping watch on which effects the other game windows may have on your own. Also featuring Mii™ characters, action replays that you can send to your Wii™ Friends via WiiConnect24™, and the ability to download a version to a Nintendo DS™, you may never want to leave this arcade.

Cue Sports – Pool Revolution (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Grab your Wii Remote™ controller and take a shot at this virtual billiard game. Enjoy match-ups, playing classic favorites such as 9 Ball, 8 Ball, Rotation and Snooker, as well as walk-through trick shots in Puzzle mode. Connect to Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (Nintendo WFC) to go head-to-head with your friends, or even hustle opponents across the world in Nintendo WFC match-ups. This game offers two types of controls, allowing you to virtually strike the cue ball with your Wii Remote controller or use the buttons to adjust the strength of your shot and then strike. Hone your skills in Practice mode, learning all the cool techniques you need to be a true hustler. Use the edit feature to create your own challenge and nail the trick shot you've always dreamed of sinking. Pull off an amazing shot and show everyone who's the biggest shark in the pool.

Virtual Console

Zoda's Revenge™: StarTropics II™ (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Take on the role of Mike Jones, intrepid hero of the StarTropics universe, and once again battle the evil alien Zoda to control the fate of the Argonian people. In this journey, the island hopping of Mike's original adventure gives way to traveling through time and visiting locations around the world. And you never know what famous historical figures may appear along the way, giving Mike helpful advice or useful items. Luckily, Mike also has a wider range of weapons and improved play control on his side, so he may yet stand a chance against Zoda. Can you help Mike stand the test of time and save the world again?

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

JayDubya

Banned
Holy shit, I loved what little I played of PSIV but the emulator crashed and I couldn't move on with the plot... I've not done any of these Wiiware things, how much is 800 points or whatever, $10?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
WHO? MIKE JONESSSSSSS!!! I never really owned a copy of Zoda's Revenge, will be picking that up, although from what I hear it's no where near as good as StarTropics.

These 1 VC game weeks suck, and shouldn't we have gotten Dracula's Curse by now?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JayDubya said:
Holy shit, I loved what little I played of PSIV but the emulator crashed and I couldn't move on with the plot... I've not done any of these Wiiware things, how much is 800 points or whatever, $10?

1 point = 1 cent although i should warn you, wii points are a fiat currency

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How's the PAL Secret of Mana?

Fatty, slow and black borders or just slow? I don't even dare to dream fully optimized 50Hz (let alone 60Hz)...

I soooo want to play that game in 3-multiplayer (played alone as a kid) but I'm not going to waste my money if it's a shame of a conversion.

Baron

I am throwing my support behind this thread and will be spurning the newer VC thread, which is a dark thread, on a dark night, where a dark man waits...with a dark purpose.

HUELEN10

Baron said:
I am throwing my support behind this thread and will be spurning the newer VC thread, which is a dark thread, on a dark night, where a dark man waits...with a dark purpose.
o381y.jpg

what?

Zoda's Revenge isn't bad. The original game is better but I was lucky enough to find ZR in a bargain bin close to the system's death.

My strongest memory of the game is finding the "chicken nugget" in a random mine shaft in the western level :lol

We need a new StarTropics so badly.

Azure J

Night_Trekker said:
Zoda's Revenge isn't bad. The original game is better but I was lucky enough to find ZR in a bargain bin close to the system's death.

My strongest memory of the game is finding the "chicken nugget" in a random mine shaft in the western level :lol

We need a new StarTropics so badly.

My favorite moment in the game was finding out that
Cleopatra wouldn't move her ship because she was waiting a good week or two for a pizza delivery. Cheesy 90s humor at it's finest.
:lol

And fuck yes we need a StarTropics 3.

TJ Spyke

Oblivion said:
I thought Star Tropics 2 was an SNES game?

Nope. It was released for the NES in March 1994 and was the second last licensed game for it (the last one was the NES version of Wario's Woods, released in December 1994).

Oblivion said:
I thought Star Tropics 2 was an SNES game?

No, NES game, albeit a very late one. It was a sop to owners who had not upgraded to the SNES yet in 1994. The series was made by R&D3 (now IRD), whose primary focus is hardware rather than software. Back in the old days, they did games on the side though - they're responsible for the Punch-Out!! series, StarTropics series, and Pilotwings games. Don't think they've worked on a game though since Pilotwings 64 . . . I think any game development staff they had left was absorbed by EAD during the last organizational reshuffling.

dyls

So what's up with Maboshi? I like the look of it and Eurogamer gave it a 9/10. Any EU gaffers played it?

I'm surprised it has gotten so little attention considering it's one of the few Nintendo-published games on WiiWare.

Maboshi seems pretty fun so far, the circle and stick games are heavily physics-based while the square game is slower paced and requires more logical thinking. It's more fun if you can get three people playing at once, but if you can't the AI does a nice job filling in. The crossover effects between the three games is a neat idea, and being able to download a version to your DS is really cool, although you obviously can't save your high scores on the DS version. If I had to complain about something it would be that you don't seem to be able to accumulate extra lives (at least the manual doesn't mention anything about extra lives), and in the stick and square games your game could end abruptly with one false move, which can be really frustrating when you're breezing along and all of a sudden you have to start over.

If you all are desperate for Castlevania III, try getting this. The emulation probably isn't quite as good as VC would be and you have to keep the CD in, but it does have save states. Not to mention four other games.

dyls said:
So what's up with Maboshi? I like the look of it and Eurogamer gave it a 9/10. Any EU gaffers played it?

I'm surprised it has gotten so little attention considering it's one of the few Nintendo-published games on WiiWare.
It has quite a few positive reviews and I've been waiting to play it. I think it's thread title worthy even.

Glad to see it's out this week.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Volcynika said:
I didn't see the newer thread, sorry for those that already seen it. WE NEED ORGANIZATION.

The newer thread is seemingly focused on keeping things easy to follow, as far as having the first post updated each week with the new offerings, world wide.

This thread, therefore, is focused on North American discussions regarding the Virtual Console (and, to an extent, Wii Ware).

Long live the thread....

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Zoda's Revenge is totally out of left field, but I'm still happy to see it. StarTropics was fun and I've been looking forward to playing the sequel.

Radical!

donny2112

donny2112 said:
Cue Sports looks very interesting at 500 points. Does anyone know if it has a similar control style to the Wii Play game?

It does. The sensitivity for the manual hit seems to be lessened, and there isn't as much camera control. However, it has a lot more gameplay options. For 500 points, it's a great followup if you liked the pool simulation in Wii Play. :)

This is also the first Wii Shop Channel thing I've bought for myself since June. I'm out of space again and await the storage solution that beter not be just saving it to the SD card and still needing to "clean out the Wii fridge" to actually use it. :lol

While I never played very far into startropics, I played about half of Zoda's Revenge on a rental and thoroughly enjoyed it. The play control is far superior to the original, and that really makes a difference. I need to get them both and play through them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dash Kappei said:

I'd like to know this too, I do own the original cart but if it had Zero black borders and full speed I'd be willing to pay for that gem once more :D

genjiZERO

I can't figure out why NES Tetris hasn't been released yet. It'd make millions upon millions. I like the idea of VC, but think it's been really under serviced.

MadFuzzy

Easy_D said:
I'd like to know this too, I do own the original cart but if it had Zero black borders and full speed I'd be willing to pay for that gem once more :D

It's full screen (no borders) like the PAL VC version of ActRaiser but it's been so long since I played the SNES version I couldn't comment on the speed.

TJ Spyke

genjiZERO said:
I can't figure out why NES Tetris hasn't been released yet. It'd make millions upon millions. I like the idea of VC, but think it's been really under serviced.

Before the Wii launched, an exec at Nintendo said this is one of the titles less likely to appear on the VC because it would be too expensive to license. Nintendo would have to get a brand new license from The Tetris Company, and they may think they wouldn't make enough money to justify that.

Shiggy

TJ Spyke said:
Before the Wii launched, an exec at Nintendo said this is one of the titles less likely to appear on the VC because it would be too expensive to license. Nintendo would have to get a brand new license from The Tetris Company, and they may think they wouldn't make enough money to justify that.

And then we also have Tetris Party on WiiWare.
It's the same with Dr. Mario, released on WiiWare so no need for the original?

TJ Spyke

Shiggy said:
And then we also have Tetris Party on WiiWare.
It's the same with Dr. Mario, released on WiiWare so no need for the original?

Tetris Party is a third party title published by The Tetris Company themselves. Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

BikoBiko

genjiZERO said:
Maybe to get people to buy Hudson's Tetris Party on WiiWare?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
elostyle said:
Have any PAL version been made less sucky for VC before?

Yep, a lot of them on the SNES and I think every N64 game up on VC.
Always shit for the Megadrive/Master System and Neo-Geo (if I'm not mistaken) though.

Samurai Showdown II, Guardian Heroes and Sonic 1 made my skin itchy, money down the drain for those mother******! >_<

Also:

Yay, thanks MadFuzzy!
VC Reviews is really useless now for PAL gamers, it would be such a major addition and costing so low effort to them just to say how's the PAL optimization...

Volcynika

robut said:
Any clue what's going up today?

Well there's two threads, but:

WiiWare

Sandy Beach (Konami, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Enjoy a fun day at Sandy Beach as you build elaborate sand castles. You can work peacefully on your sand castle or enter into a battle with invading crabs in Crab Battle mode. Players will strategically build their sand castle and use cannons to defend it against an army of destructive crabs. After successfully defending your sand castle, discover beach treasures and additional cannons with your metal detector to customize your castle even more.

Virtual Console

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES™, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Kirby, Dream Land's resident hero (and everyone's favorite puffball), must once again save the day when the mischievous King Dedede starts causing trouble. Kirby must travel through an assortment of levels, battling an exotic array of enemies (both new and familiar) determined to stop him from completing his mission. Always armed with his trusty ability to swallow enemies and gain special attacks, Kirby can also unite with some of his animal friends and make use of their particular talents. Featuring detailed graphics, challenging boss battles and the distinct charm of a Kirby game, it's no wonder this title is considered a classic.

Capndrake

Dash Kappei said:
VC Reviews is really useless now for PAL gamers, it would be such a major addition and costing so low effort to them just to say how's the PAL optimization...
There's no need because it's basically the same for every game on the same system, NES games are completely unoptimized, SNES games have slow gameplay but normal music (Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are normal speed because they were originally), N64 games are all normal, Mega Drive and Neo Geo games are all slow, C64 and TG games are all normal. Imports are all normal speed except for Mega Drive ones, which for some reason have actually been slowed down.

Top Bottom