• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

PepsimanVsJoe said:
7th Saga next please.
Are you serious? That game is pract--

Just so I can laugh everytime somebody gets kicked in the crotch because of how brutally unfair it is.
Oh. True, there's some definite value in that. I always loved when enemy Esuna would do more damage with physical attacks than ally Wilme.

DuMaurier

leroy hacker said:
Instead of downloading Secret of Mana which you say you've played many times, look into Beyond Oasis for Genesis. It's a colorful action RPG from the makers of the Streets of Rage series with a clever elemental magic system. Watch a video before you buy it though, as some find the music and sound effects annoying, and the style will be very different from SNES RPG music.

I already got Beyond Oasis. I remember reading about in GamePro back in the day but I had an SNES so I never got to play. I grabbed it the second it was released on VC. Cool game but I still haven't finished it.

So it's between ActRaiser and DKC2 now. DKC2 is looking like the winner.

Jiggy said:
Are you serious? That game is pract--

Oh. True, there's some definite value in that. I always loved when enemy Esuna would do more damage with physical attacks than ally Wilme.

I actually sorta kinda almost like The 7th Saga. There's probably way too much grinding, the game is entirely too difficult, and I'm quite sure there are some scenarios that are technically impossible to complete depending on what character you select and what opponents your character randomly draws at the critical gameplay junctures. But, considering the fact that my father not only beat the game when I was a teenager, but didn't enlist an ally throughout the entire playthrough thus completing the game solo, there must be some scenarios where finishing the game is a possibilty. It's unfortunate that I never came across one when I played the game. :p Anyway, my father has also probably dumped 10,000+ hours into Op Europe, so he has threshold for pain that mere mortals can only marvel at.

Anyway, I second PepsimanVsJoe's recommendation. There's a new generation out there that deserves to be hazed and The 7th Saga is definitely the solution.

Jiggy

Well, the one good thing I'll say about The 7th Saga is that it's certainly my go-to game if I want an RPG guaranteed to stomp me into the floor. Nothing does it better.

Actually, I guess there's one other good thing: its enormous overworld. Whole towns were optional, and just in general the size of the thing was such that any journey to anywhere from anywhere else was amazingly dangerous no matter how good you were with using the radar to avoid battles.

Wilsongt

Nintendo Press Room

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 12, 2009

What's your weapon of choice? Is it a laser gun? Or maybe just a simple deck of cards? No matter what type of game gets you fired up, the latest additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel are sure to add something new and exciting to your arsenal. With fast-flying cards, tumbling pachinko balls and sinister vampires in your midst, you'll need every tool at your disposal.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Jungle Speed® (Playful Entertainment Inc., 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Jungle Speed is a lightning-fast card game for the entire family, where quick reflexes and a keen eye will put you on top. Flip your cards, watch your opponents and grab the totem at the right moment to win the game. Just when you think you've got it down, a new card can temporarily change the rules and keep you on the edge. Play starts when the first person flips a card. Moving around the table, symbols are revealed until two of the exposed cards match. Players with matching cards must then scramble to grasp the totem in the middle of the table; the loser gets the winner's cards and anything in the pot. With paws flying, be the first person to get rid of all your cards and win the game.

Planet Pachinko (Allied Kingdoms Inc., 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Can you survive the Pachinkeet Temples of Planet Pachinko? In the future of the future, an ancient civilization has sealed away its riches in elaborate temples dedicated to the game of pachinko. Now the Robot family must fight through these dangerous temples in search of their lost puppy. Using their rockets, lasers, grenades and slime launchers, will they be able to survive the challenges? They aren't the only ones adventuring through the temples. The pirate Vile Vill and his minions are looking to loot the temples and take on the Robot family. Play in single-player mode or with a friend in exciting two-player co-op.

Virtual Console™

Castlevania® III: Dracula's Curse (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This is the third game in the popular Castlevania series and the last of the franchise released on the original NES console. Take on the role of Trevor Belmont, forefather of Simon, and battle Dracula in a time long before the events of the first two Castlevania games. In addition to his trusty whip, Trevor has a previously unseen power—the ability to transform into one of three different companion spirits that he meets during his quest: Syfa, a young vampire hunter capable of powerful magic; Grant, a ferocious pirate who can climb on walls; and Alucard, forgotten son of Dracula, able to shoot fireballs and transform into a bat. Use an assortment of weapons (some specific to each character) as you choose which path to follow in your fight against Dracula and his army. Loaded with replay value and featuring some of the best platform action ever, this title is not to be missed.

Now quit the bitching.

Hobbun

Castlevania III I plan to pick up.

Does anyone know if the Soul Blazer series (not sure what the correct series name is, but has Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma) is approved for the ESRB? I would really love to see these for the VC.

Hobbun said:
Does anyone know if the Soul Blazer series (not sure what the correct series name is, but has Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma) is approved for the ESRB? I would really love to see these for the VC.

None have been rated, but Squeenix has released ActRaiser, Secret of Mana, and at some future point Ogre Battle on the North America VC. They've released Treasure Hunter G & Live a Live on the Japanese VC. So, they're are slowly but surely releasing their lesser known titles on the service. I would imagine some, if not all, of the three Soul Blazer trilogy will eventually be released, but the million dollar question is when - and it may very well be not any time soon. Almost picked up a Soul Blazer cartridge myself last year, but I held off.

I remember trying 7th Saga when I was younger. I remember picking a characters and dying. That's about all I can remember doing, but it looks like that might be normal. I think I picked the Cleric first. I think I died in a battle or two.

beelzebozo said:
why are there so many different threads? this is confusing.
Most people found this thread to be too bloated and confusing to be of much use if you weren't one of the regulars, so a different thread was created with the sole purpose being to make the news easier to get at.

In time, I expect the two threads will be the same.

I never bitched!

But I am happy to see CVIII!

Now I want some Konami Genesis games!

Give me some Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Rocket Knight.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ah, i gotcha. that's cool.

on topic, dracula's curse is a pretty damn rad game that is totally worth playing, presuming you can acclimate yourself to the very nes-ness of its mechanics. it's less frustrating than the first game, less confusing than the second game, it's certainly good looking, and the multiple playable characters give it a lot of variety. on a system where i contend that very few of the games hold up as truly enjoyable, it's one of the select few, really.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm still waiting on:

- blast corps
- duck tales 1&2
- quackshot

and, in fantasy-land, hoping they'll pick up dreamcast as a platform and put some stuff like toy commander up. but that's a pipe dream.

TJ Spyke

cvxfreak said:
Hey, the N64 got a pretty darn good version of RE2. :(

Agreed, they did a decent job porting it. Wasn't RE2 one of the few games to use the full 64MB of a N64 cartridge? I think it and Conker's Bad Fur Day were the only ones.

jarrod

Banned
N64 games are obviously a lot of work to get done comparably, and since Nintendo does their platform emulation, fixes and testing inhouse, it's probably not worth it from their perspective to court 3rd party games yet. I'm not sure we'll see any 3rd party N64 games ever honestly... but if we do, I think high profile stuff from JP pubs or close partners (Ogre Battle, Shiren 2, RE2, Gomeon, Shadows of the Empire, Bomberman, etc) is probably the only possibility. And probably nothing with microcode work (ie: Factor-5, RARE or Boss games).

We better get 64DD stuff though. I'd totally pay out the points for F-Zero X-pansion. :lol

beelzebozo said:
i'm still waiting on:

- blast corps
- duck tales 1&2
- quackshot

and, in fantasy-land, hoping they'll pick up dreamcast as a platform and put some stuff like toy commander up. but that's a pipe dream.
Sega and Capcom Disney games would do SO well on this service. I'm a little surprised Disney haven't pushed for it themselves honestly.

beelzebozo said:
i'm still waiting on:

- blast corps
- duck tales 1&2
- quackshot

I'll agree with that list, but you know, I'd also like to see Buster's Hidden Treasure. I used to love that game as a kid, and I've really been wanting to play it again lately.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh man, tiny toon adventures: buster busts loose would be great too.

have there ever been any really great looney tunes games? all the ones i remember liking as a kid haven't aged too well.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, that's pretty good, though its connection to the looney tunes universe is tenuous at best. i loved bugs bunny birthday blowout when i was younger but with adult eyes it sort of sucks.

cvxfreak said:
Hey, the N64 got a pretty darn good version of RE2. :(

It got the only version of RE2. Right? Right?
2rcn8yf.jpg

beelzebozo said:
yeah, that's pretty good, though its connection to the looney tunes universe is tenuous at best. i loved bugs bunny birthday blowout when i was younger but with adult eyes it sort of sucks.
That was a fun AVGN as I remember loving the game too when I was a kid, but the flaws are really obvious.

I have an idea that there was a good Looney Toons on the PS1, but I think I'm just thinking of Gex's toon worlds.

crowphoenix said:
That was a fun AVGN as I remember loving the game too when I was a kid, but the flaws are really obvious.

I have an idea that there was a good Looney Toons on the PS1, but I think I'm just thinking of Gex's toon worlds.

Sheep Raider ain't bad.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
have there ever been any really great looney tunes games? all the ones i remember liking as a kid haven't aged too well.

Death Valley Rally (SNES) was pretty damn good

Hobbun

FFantasyFX said:
None have been rated, but Squeenix has released ActRaiser, Secret of Mana, and at some future point Ogre Battle on the North America VC. They've released Treasure Hunter G & Live a Live on the Japanese VC. So, they're are slowly but surely releasing their lesser known titles on the service. I would imagine some, if not all, of the three Soul Blazer trilogy will eventually be released, but the million dollar question is when - and it may very well be not any time soon. Almost picked up a Soul Blazer cartridge myself last year, but I held off.

Thank you. I hope you are right in that we will see these games eventually. Especially since I have not played Terranigma (due to it never reached NA). However, I have heard it is great.

It's kind of a shame as far as the Looney Tunes go.

Here's a list of games they appeared in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Looney_Tunes_video_games

I doubt that's a complete list. But of the ones contained on there, the only standout is Crazy Castle. And even that was originally a Roger Rabbit game that was altered for licensing reasons.

There have been a lot of "just okay" LT games. I recall finding enjoyment from Death Valley Rally, Rabbit Rampage, Porky's Haunted Holiday, Taz-Mania(SNES), Duck Dodgers...actually, almost all of the Sunsoft library was ok.

I really did like both Taz games for the Genesis. There was some unique and fast-paced gameplay in those titles.

Stylvester & Tweety and the Wile E. Coyote games for the Genny were both good, from what I remember. But I think I was more impressed with the animation and graphics than the game itself.

I think the Tiny Toon Adventures games were generally better.

TJ Spyke

Wiki is not loading for me, but does that list include Tiny Toon Adventures? There was a Tiny Toons sports game that was pretty good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SonicMegaDrive said:
I think the Tiny Toon Adventures games were generally better.

definitely.

even though some people are bagging on him for "selling out," i'm excited to see warren spector working with the mickey mouse universe. i wish someone would show the looney tunes universe that same level of respect, though i'm not sure it has the same financial viability anymore.

TJ Spyke said:
Wiki is not loading for me, but does that list include Tiny Toon Adventures? There was a Tiny Toons sports game that was pretty good.

No, it doesn't.

But I think it's a fair fact that all of the Tiny Toons games across every system were great. Even the Game Boy and Genesis ones were gold.

Heck, there was even one for the Gameboy Advance that was developed by Treasure. Was it good? It was OK. It wasn't as much a platformer as it was a beat-em-up. So I was a little disappointed. But it's a cool game.

I actually watched a video on it this weekend. It was rather surprising to see that franchise as a beat-em up. It looked a tad dull, but that might have just been the narrator. I was impressed by the graphics and sheer number of secondary characters though.

"god, is gaf still complaining about castlevania 3?"

"yeah."

"ffs, just give it to them. there'll be a backlash thread in two hours anyway."

beelzebozo said:
hey emcee, when is cave story wiiware coming out? or has that been announced?
Pretty sure they haven't given a release date. They wanted to get it out before Christmas, but they're still working on it because they decided to add bonus content like DLC.

but this provides me an excuse to post my graphics comparison

16a8rwy.gif

andymcc

Banned
beelzebozo said:

interestingly, the first crazy castle was just a reskin of the famicom disk system ROGER RABBIT game (which makes even less sense considering the settings.) Still sucks just the same, though. :lol

epmode said:
You're joking but I agree completely. The Japanese release is SO MUCH BETTER.

it trounces the nes version, probably the best soundtrack on the system as well. i'll probably still pick the vc one for the sake of convenience, but i know i'll just stick to the famicom cart as i play this game on a monthly basis.

Top Bottom