• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
genjiZERO said:
I can't figure out why NES Tetris hasn't been released yet. It'd make millions upon millions. I like the idea of VC, but think it's been really under serviced.

Too bad it will never happen, but Tengen Tetris beats the living fuck out of NES Tetris. Fuck, NES Tetris isn't even two player.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Capndrake said:
There's no need because it's basically the same for every game on the same system, NES games are completely unoptimized, SNES games have slow gameplay but normal music (Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are normal speed because they were originally), N64 games are all normal, Mega Drive and Neo Geo games are all slow, C64 and TG games are all normal. Imports are all normal speed except for Mega Drive ones, which for some reason have actually been slowed down.

They're not basically the same AT ALL.
Have a go with Sonic 1 and then Sonic 3 (and I'm sure you did, that's way I'm saying that).

And it's not just a matter of gameplay speed, music and especially screen optimization factors in too (big black borders, medium bb, minimal mm and no bb... we have them all on VC, especially with Megadrive titles) and unfortunately can be different on a per title basis.

If there was no need then we wouldn't have so many people interested in hearing that out would we?
Ah well, bad for them I guess (and for those of us having to ask around for each game).
And I care because VC-Reviews in a fantastic website which I visit regularly, it's not like I'm having a go at you guys just to bitch. :)

Ok you got me, It's just my revenge for having been booted off by you in the Mario Strikers' tourney! :p

DuMaurier

So I had 300 points in my account and decided to get World of Goo so I bought an additional 2000 points. That'll leave me with 800 points once I get World of Goo (didn't download it yet, must clean fridge first). Here's the thing, every time I buy a game and am left with a tiny amount of points I end of buy more points and spending more money. I need to stop. So I need to spend exactly 2300 points. That leaves me with enough for either one Genesis or SNES game. But I don't know what to get. I was leaning towards DKC or Secret of Mana with DKC taking a slight lead simply because I've played through SoM so many times. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Here's a somewhat complete list of SNES games I've already ponied up for:
Super Mario World
Street Fighter 2 (the crappy original version)
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I don't think I've bought and Genesis games yet.

So what say you GAF? What should I blow my last 800 points on?

Or if you think there's something better than World of Goo + SNES game, how would you spend the points (keeping in mind that I don't want any freaking points left at the end of this or I'll just keep buying more. Stupid freaking VC crack is killing me.)

tim1138

DuMaurier said:
So I had 300 points in my account and decided to get World of Goo so I bought an additional 2000 points. That'll leave me with 800 points once I get World of Goo (didn't download it yet, must clean fridge first). Here's the thing, every time I buy a game and am left with a tiny amount of points I end of buy more points and spending more money. I need to stop. So I need to spend exactly 2300 points. That leaves me with enough for either one Genesis or SNES game. But I don't know what to get. I was leaning towards DKC or Secret of Mana with DKC taking a slight lead simply because I've played through SoM so many times. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Here's a somewhat complete list of SNES games I've already ponied up for:
Super Mario World
Street Fighter 2 (the crappy original version)
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I don't think I've bought and Genesis games yet.

So what say you GAF? What should I blow my last 800 points on?

Or if you think there's something better than World of Goo + SNES game, how would you spend the points (keeping in mind that I don't want any freaking points left at the end of this or I'll just keep buying more. Stupid freaking VC crack is killing me.)

Get ActRaiser for SNES. It's a mix of god game simulation and hack n slash platforming with a fantastic musical score.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Got a Wii for christmas and was amazed at how few SNES/N64 games are available on the Virtual Console.

Is there any indication when something like Super Mario Kart might be available?

And what are the best Wiiware games (other than World of Goo) people have played? Some are a bit pricey but there must be a couple that are worth it.

I agree in the sense that you really have to get good at the games before they become fun, but once you get the physics down in the circle/stick games and you figure out some strategies for playing the square game it's a blast. I can see some people being turned off by the fact that you have to start each game over when you lose, but anyone who's a fan of arcade style gameplay shouldn't really be bothered by that.

DuMaurier said:
But I'm open to other suggestions.

Instead of downloading Secret of Mana which you say you've played many times, look into Beyond Oasis for Genesis. It's a colorful action RPG from the makers of the Streets of Rage series with a clever elemental magic system. Watch a video before you buy it though, as some find the music and sound effects annoying, and the style will be very different from SNES RPG music.

MrSardonic said:
Got a Wii for christmas and was amazed at how few SNES/N64 games are available on the Virtual Console.

Is there any indication when something like Super Mario Kart might be available?

And what are the best Wiiware games (other than World of Goo) people have played? Some are a bit pricey but there must be a couple that are worth it.

The Art Style(developed by Skip, published by Nintendo) are all cheap(600 points), compact(47-126 blocks), and great. They combine original game play with creative aesthetics. Orbient in particular is very meaty, with 50 levels, and is unlike any other game ever made, except for the GBA game of which it is an expanded remake. That's my top pick after Goo.

I also had a good time with Lost Winds and consider it a worthy purchase, but that game is a bit controversial here owing to its short length and low level of difficulty.

Of course, also Megaman 9. I only consider the DLC, and not the game itself, to be a ripoff.

Jiggy

DuMaurier said:
That leaves me with enough for either one Genesis or SNES game. But I don't know what to get. I was leaning towards DKC or Secret of Mana with DKC taking a slight lead simply because I've played through SoM so many times. But I'm open to other suggestions.
Run, don't walk, to Donkey Kong Country 2, the almost infinitely superior sequel which in every regard--character balance, music, level design, length, longevity, replayability--ranges from better to very much better.

TJ Spyke

I don't know why this game gets no love here, but I think Defend Your Castle is a great game. It also has a very cheap price (500 Points), the game is easily worth more than many of the more expensive WiiWare games.

MrSardonic said:
Mario Kart 64 is the closest you'll get. There's an extra chip on the Mario Kart cartridge, so I hear, that makes it harder to emulate.

Jiggy

TJ Spyke said:
I don't know why this game gets no love here, but I think Defend Your Castle is a great game. It also has a very cheap price (500 Points), the game is easily worth more than many of the more expensive WiiWare games.
It is indeed a good, entertaining game, but probably not mentioned often since 1) there are also better games around, 2) there's a free (albeit much slower and less enjoyable and less visceral) version on the Internet, and 3) for the better part of the eight months since it's been available, this thread was primarily about Virtual Console.

But yeah, it's pretty easily worth its asking price.

ampere

I read on Wikipedia that DK64 is coming in February :D
Now where's Majora's Mask?
And though it'll never ever happen, I want Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon!

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
It'll seem like an understatement to the regulars of this thread, but I feel like getting these words off my chest after years of keeping my fingers crossed: the VC is a colossal disappointment.

I bought the Wii on the assumption that, at the touch of a button, I could access a vast library of old gaming classics - some of which may not have even originally made it to European shores. It was also a golden opportunity for Nintendo (et al) to release certain titles in their original NTSC format, allowing us to play these games without the borders or 17% slowdown inherent in the lazy conversions at the time. They were all set to offer the world an Ultimate Nintendo Entertainment System (if you'll indulge me on that one...), with the most comprehensive backward compatibility support available on any console, up to and including the Gamecube. Not to mention Nintendo were no doubt poised to make some big profits off the old-school "hardcore" gaming crowd.

Two years since, and it's become apparent that Nintendo don't see that business model as nearly as lucrative as their recent endeavours in the "casual "market. As undeniably true as that may be, it's still worth arguing that they're missing out on some major additional profits; 2-3 releases per week isn't much of a commitment. As it stands, I'd say we now have around 10-20 bona-fide all-time favourites to play with, depending on where your tastes/nostalgic tendancies lay. By this point, I was at least expecting to see the following (even at extortionate prices):

FFI-VI
Dragon Quest I-VI
Chrono Trigger
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 1-3
Lufia 1&2
BoF
(and all the other classic SNES RPGs)

Super Mario Kart
Goldeneye
Earthbound
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
(etc etc...just to name a couple off the top of my head.)

I'm genuinely surprised at the near-stagnant third party support for this service, and wonder if their priorities have changed since the Wii's emergence as a clear leader market leader. Surely they recognise that there's easy money to be made?

Except for Galaxy disappointment has been Nintendo's MO since the beginning of the Gamecube. *shrug*

Oh and dude going over your list I can pull up quite a few reasons why none of those games are on the VC(though Seiken Densetsu 2 is available).

Not just VC but WiiWare is a colossal disaster. It's extremely boring and tepid compared to the original games that XBLA and PSN are getting. You know it blows chunks when everyone is anticipating a 2 year old PC port of a free game and Unannounced Game B from some guy who used to do his interviews over mIRC and shown a few art screens.

I modded my Wii because I bought a shitload of imports but i'm now semi slightly interested in injected VC games.

I mean christ nintendo. Way to drop the ball. With the backlog and dev teams Nintendo has I would have never expected such failure.

WHERE THE FUCK IS CV3

Seriously, who knows how much I'd actually play it but having 1, 2, and 4... I dunno, I admit I'm a completionist like that, it just drives me nuts and I don't care to admit it.

Twig

Banned
Cataferal said:
FFI-VI
Dragon Quest I-VI
Chrono Trigger
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 1-3
Lufia 1&2
BoF
To be honest, if you really expected to see Square jump on the VC bandwagon with full force, your hopes were far too ambitious. Hell, they've even gone on record saying they won't release any game on VC they feel they can rerelease or remake for DS or something else for (even more) exorbitant prices.

I'd love to see Lufia and BoF up there, though. ): I doubt SE has any intentions to ever remake Lufia! Right? RIGHT?!
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Except for Galaxy disappointment has been Nintendo's MO since the beginning of the Gamecube. *shrug*
You can blame Nintendo for a lot of things.

This is not one of them... There are certainly some first-party games that should be on VC, but for some reason are absent. But the majority of the games people want on VC are third party, not first.

Maybe NOA isn't trying hard enough to get third parties aboard. I'd believe that. But... in this case, at least, it's because SE knows it can make more money elsewhere.

Jiggy

Cataferal said:
By this point, I was at least expecting to see the following (even at extortionate prices):

FFI-VI
Dragon Quest I-VI
Chrono Trigger
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 1-3
Lufia 1&2
BoF
Even putting aside that most of these are Square-Enix, FFII, III, and V, DQ V and VI, FM, and SD 3 weren't even in English (and require it, unlike, say, Star Parodier) and Seiken Densetsu is a Game Boy game.

There are many things I would give for Lufia II, though. :( If that gem of an RPG ever shows up on VC, I'm buying it for at least three people.

I'm genuinely surprised at the near-stagnant third party support for this service[...]
I'm not. If I were them, I wouldn't bother getting games ready to go either given that Nintendo 1) continues to be so painfully slow about actually releasing them, and 2) refuses to advertise the Shop Channel. To say nothing of their occasional release date miscommunications (see Ys Book I & II, Star Parodier, Break In, Samurai Shodown II).

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
TheOneGuy said:
I'd love to see Lufia and BoF up there, though. ): I doubt SE has any intentions to ever remake Lufia! Right? RIGHT?!

Well exactly. They're proving just that with Chrono Trigger and the FF series - and I'd say that's fair enough - but what of those more obscure titles? Maybe they can guage the interest in remakes for those franchises by seeing how the direct ports fare on the VC?

I will say though that more people need to pick up Alien Soldier. Landstalker too...definitely Landstalker.

Actually there are a ton of games on the service that totally justify putting up with NoA's nonsense.

But eh I dunno. I'm still waiting for that ultimate legendary game to hit the VC. I doubt it'll ever show up though. =/

Slavik81

I'm still in awe at how people can be bitching about the Virtual Console. The list of games that I want to play, but don't have the time to is enormous. There must be 10 games that are out that I'll need to eventually download and play. And I've already bought 10.

That's more than both other platforms combined. And I absolutely love PSN and XBLA for giving me tonnes of awesome games. I probably own twice as many PSN games as disk-based PS3 games and twice as many XBLA games than disk-based 360 games.

In other news, I played and beat Megaman 1 for the first time over Christmas. I quite liked it, aside from the graphical glitches and the retarded random movement of the flying platforms.

Jiggy said:
Run, don't walk, to Donkey Kong Country 2, the almost infinitely superior sequel which in every regard--character balance, music, level design, length, longevity, replayability--ranges from better to very much better.
Most importantly, it has Dixie Kong, who's usefulness is unmatchable.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Slavik81 said:
I'm still in awe at how people can be bitching about the Virtual Console. The list of games that I want to play, but don't have the time to is enormous. There must be 10 games that are out that I'll need to eventually download and play. And I've already bought 10.

That's more than both other platforms combined. And I absolutely love PSN and XBLA for giving me tonnes of awesome games. I probably own twice as many PSN games as disk-based PS3 games and twice as many XBLA games than disk-based 360 games.

Taken in terms of pure numbers, the Virtual Console has provided me with more quality game purchases than any other gaming platform I've ever owned. What we're complaining about is the fact that the output of good games has slowed to a trickle compared to the rate we were receiving great games. I ask for no more of the VC than to match its performance of its best days.

Slavik81 said:
Most importantly, it has Dixie Kong, who's usefulness is unmatchable.

Well, Dixie is in DKC3 too, but that's arguably the worst of the trilogy. ;)

Still, I agree. DKC2 outclasses DKC1 and 3 by a massive margin in just about every respect.

Cataferal said:
FFI-VI
Dragon Quest I-VI
Chrono Trigger
Front Mission
Seiken Densetsu 1-3

Goldeneye

Overall I agree with your disappointment, but I have some comments on your list.

Seiken Densetsu 1 is a gameboy game. Seiken Densetsu 2 is on VC in every territory.

I don't think it was reasonable to expect any VC games to be newly translated, given the programming difficulties involved and non-existence of the original teams in most cases. That takes SD3, DQV-VI, FFV, and Front Mission off your list.

Nintendo doesn't have the Bond license anymore, so they can't release Goldeneye.

3rd parties in many cases do not support VC directly. They licensed their libraries to Nintendo(or Hudson or Sega) or chose not to, and then Nintendo(or Hudson or Sega) set the release schedule. Some of the 3rd party games we're not seeing are because Nintendo just hasn't gotten around to releasing it.

Square chose to give only limited support because they would rather sell a $40 DS remake of a game than a $8 VC download. I am quite happy that the west is getting DQV-VI in any form, and feel no disappointment that they're not on VC.

I agree with everyone else about Lufia 2 however. That is one of the games I have most wanted since the service was first announced. I hope it isn't stuck in limbo now that SE owns the rights to it.

jarrod

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I will say though that more people need to pick up Alien Soldier. Landstalker too...definitely Landstalker.
LandStalker's sadly nerfed due to the cross-dpad Nintendo uses. You get kinda used to it eventually, but it really does need an 8-way. Actually, even using the analog feels better, it's that bad. :/

Sega/Ascii need to do a SS pad for Wii asap!

leroy hacker said:
Square chose to give only limited support because they would rather sell a $40 DS remake of a game than a $8 VC download. I am quite happy that the west is getting DQV-VI in any form, and feel no disappointment that they're not on VC.

I agree with everyone else about Lufia 2 however. That is one of the games I have most wanted since the service was first announced. I hope it isn't stuck in limbo now that SE owns the rights to it.
SE is on the upswing with Ogre Battle and Secret of Mana coming out recently. Let's hope they follow that up quickly with EVO, the Lufia games and Quintet ARPGs... hell, if Nintendo ever opens up N64, I'd love Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle 64 too.

I've never had the opportunity to play Kirby's Dreamland 3, so I was delighted to see it show up on the Virtual Console. The game isn't as awesome as Kirby's Adventure, but I would rate it slightly ahead of Kirby 64. I like how each level has a unique "heart star" objective, and I was taken aback by a couple of the cameos. In particular,
finding R.O.B.'s parts for Professor Hector and defeating a bunch of Metroids for Samus was pretty cool. You even get to see Samus without her helmet!
Again, the game isn't exactly a timeless classic, but certainly worth $8.

TJ Spyke

Disney owns the Turok IP, I wonder if they would need Acclaim's permission to use their logo (the current Acclaim is a brand new company that makes some dance MMO, they have nothing to do with the previous company and only purchased the name).

After over 2 years I do think it's ridiculous that we haven't had any third party N64 games.

Cheerilee

TheOneGuy said:
You can blame Nintendo for a lot of things.

This is not one of them... There are certainly some first-party games that should be on VC, but for some reason are absent. But the majority of the games people want on VC are third party, not first.

Maybe NOA isn't trying hard enough to get third parties aboard. I'd believe that. But... in this case, at least, it's because SE knows it can make more money elsewhere.
Weren't there reports that Nintendo was simply handed literally thousands of third party titles on the day the VC was announced? And they said the list was growing. And whenever you ask a third party about a particular game, they say "Don't ask us. Ask Nintendo. We gave them that game ages ago. It's up to them to decide how and when they want to use it."

Nintendo doesn't want an extensive library of VC titles available. They want you to play their chosen game of the week and like it. Sure, there may be some holdouts like Square and Rare, but the rest is all Nintendo.

PBalfredo said:
What exactly is up with the N64 VC? Are third parties just not participating or is Nintendo barring them for some crazy reason?

Maybe Nintendo is too lazy or too stingy to implement Controller Pak support, just like any other peripheral. Notice the lack of Duck Hunt, et. al.

TJ Spyke

ruby_onix said:
Nintendo doesn't want an extensive library of VC titles available. They want you to play their chosen game of the week and like it. Sure, there may be some holdouts like Square and Rare, but the rest is all Nintendo.

When it comes to Rare, it's Microsoft's decision since they own the IP's. I don't think MS would want their games to be on a service that is a rival to their Xbox Live Arcade.

Cheese, not quite true. Operation Wolf is on the Virtual Console and it used the Zap Gun.

There are still a handful of 3D party games that should logically have made the jump to the N64 VC(The two Goemon US games for example)

Problem is without controller pak support there's no point. Then again maybe it does exist but at the rate it's going we'll never know(hell we have yet to see Donkey Kong 64 and/or Majora's Mask, and both of those games require the ram expansion)

sfog

Not only did DK64 have Jetpac, it was also mandatory to play it and achieve a certain score in order to beat the main game. Likewise, they'd probably want to get the most out of the NES Donkey Kong before letting us have the arcade version (which is also mandatory in DK64).

Cheerilee

TJ Spyke said:
When it comes to Rare, it's Microsoft's decision since they own the IP's. I don't think MS would want their games to be on a service that is a rival to their Xbox Live Arcade.
Rumor is that they did want Rare games on the VC (or at least, Rare wanted, and MS was fine with it), so long as Nintendo was cool with a Goldeneye remake on XBLA and possibly WiiWare, but Iwata would have none of that. Enemies are supposed to be enemies.

TJ Spyke

GoldenEye 007 is a sticky situation. They would also need the permission of Activision Blizzard (since they currently own the rights to the Bond license).

sfog said:
Not only did DK64 have Jetpac, it was also mandatory to play it and achieve a certain score in order to beat the main game. Likewise, they'd probably want to get the most out of the NES Donkey Kong before letting us have the arcade version (which is also mandatory in DK64).

Ooh damn. Well that just about throws DK64 VC right out on its ass. No way anyone is going to sit down and do that much work.

Jiggy

TJ Spyke said:
Cheese, not quite true. Operation Wolf is on the Virtual Console and it used the Zap Gun.
Pretty sure he was saying that they were too lazy to implement support for the peripheral itself, not games which used them but also allowed D-pad controls.

GhostSeed

Old? Ogre Battle is ESRB rated now.

256hagn.png

bwahhhhh

leroy hacker said:
Instead of downloading Secret of Mana which you say you've played many times, look into Beyond Oasis for Genesis. It's a colorful action RPG from the makers of the Streets of Rage series with a clever elemental magic system. Watch a video before you buy it though, as some find the music and sound effects annoying, and the style will be very different from SNES RPG music.

Seconded. i remember being so hyped for this game before it was released originally, Aladdin-like sprites and Treasure-like segmented bosses, fluid animation, etc, I shelled out $75 (IIRC, it was expensive) for it on release day at Babbages. Sadly, I beat it in around 6 hours. for a few bucks on VC, that is no problem for me, but for the $75 i couldn't believe it was over already. that, and i had extremely high hopes for the music given Yuzo "god" Koshiro's involvement, not sure what happened there. the music was ambient, and it worked for the game, (though i wouldn't call it "good") but i had really high hopes.

gameplay was awesome, though, so i still loved it. elemental puzzles were great, and i really got a sense of deja-vu when i first played Kameo on the 360. (wonder if those devs at Rare had played BO or LoO) for a few bucks on the VC it's an awesome purchase.

Shoot I've put over a hundred hours into Beyond Oasis and I'm continually disappointed by how little attention it gets(the speedrunning community won't even touch it, despite the fact the game can be beaten in just under an hour)

It's definitely IMO one of the three best Genesis titles available on the VC(the other two being Landstalker and Alien Soldier). It's a triumph in terms of mechanics and level design.

Top Bottom