• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Comic/Manga Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

bjork said:
I forgot to update this last week, but I'm gonna do it for sure this Wednesday or Thursday, just in case I lose my ban bet on Friday. Any last minute recommendations?

Miracleman by Alan Moore

It's similar to Watchmen, in that the main theme is the deconstruction of the superhero, but instead of dealing with more down-to-earth characters (nearly everyone in Watchmen was a normal person in a costume), the heroes and villains are based on the Superman/Captain Marvel archetype. And unlike most of Moore's work, Miracleman isn't rooted in cultural history or Moore's own personal beliefs, so the story feels a lot more natural and organic.

FnordChan

I can throw out a few additions and updates. In particular, the list I originally posted had some rather terse descriptions that could use a bit of updating. Here are some expanded blurbs:

The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller's satire inspired an entire industry towards grim and gritty, proving that they didn't get the joke. Which is a pity, as TDKR is one helluva adventure, mixing grim futurism with the perfect expression of Bruce Wayne as an old, tough as nails bastard who refuses to quit. The one Batman trade everyone should read.

Batman: Year One - Showing that Miller can write Batman as something other than vicious satire, this is a perfect example of how to take a classic origin story and expand it for a modern audience. Miller takes us from the tragic death of Bruce Wayne's parents to the finished incarnation of his crime fighting persona.

DC Universe - A collection of miscellaneous stories Moore did for DC, all of which are gems. Here's the rest of your essential Superman reading (including Moore's love letter to pre-Crisis Superman, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"), as well as the acclaimed Batman story The Killing Joke.

(You may want to add a note at the end of the separate "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" description explaining that it's available as a stand alone or as part of DC Universe.)

Watchmen - Alan Moore's definitive deconstruction of the superhero comic. Dense, literate, powerful, this is the graphic novel that launched dozens of graduate theses and is cited, rightly, as a shining example of the idea that comics aren't just for kids. An excellent starting point for the new comics reader looking for something a bit more challenging.

Sandman - Neil Gaiman's acclaimed crossover modern fantasy about Morpheus, the lord of dreams, is filled with mythology, wonder, wit, and pathos. Reading this at the local coffeehouse will help you pick up hot hipsters. No, seriously.

V for Vendetta - A dystopian SF broadside against the horrors of Thatcherism, whose protagonist dons a Guy Fawkes mask and wages a campaign of terror against near-future totalitarian Britain. As good as the movie was, the comic is much better.

Y: The Last Man - Current critical and mainstream darling Brian K. Vaughn's thorough exploration of a single concept: What if there was a single male mammal left alive? Well, two mammals, namely a boy and his monkey questing through a post-apocalyptic, all-female society. A recent classic and very highly recommended.

Grant Morrison's X-Men - A recent take on old favorites, running wild with ideas and shifting away from the established soap opera formula. Our merry mutants, now a significant portion of the global population, begin to band together as an established minority, with Morrison looking at the impact this has on society and how the X-Men adapt to their new role. Don't worry, super-powered bad guys still get beat up. Inconsistent art, yet consistently awesome.

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men - On the other hand, here you have the soap opera formula perfected, showing the X-Men fighting foes and interacting amongst themselves according to the classic format, but told with modern flair and plenty of wit by Whedon, with gorgeous art by John Cassaday. Between this and the Morrison run, you've got most of your X-Men needs covered.

Bone - Delightful all-ages adventure about a trio of odd creatures and their quest through a fantasy world, full of terrific characters, humor, and vast crossover audience potential. Self contained in one big honkin' volume, this is both the perfect gift for any younger family member you want to introduce to comics and a story you'll want to have on your own bookshelf.

Cerebus - Dave Sim's lifework started out as a Conan parody about a barbarian aardvark, became a epic, brilliant satire on politics, religion, and more, and then broke down completely around the same time Sim himself did. The second half of Cerebus is a very mixed bag, but that first half is some kind of brilliant and one of the finest examples of self-publishing in comics. The first volume shows the promise of the series to come, but is still rather rough around the edges; start with High Society and, when you're hooked, go back to the first volume.

Love and Rockets - Representative of indie comics at their finest, this collaboration by Los Bros Hernandez started in the early 80s as a series of off-beat stories with each brother going in a different direction. Jaime provided fantastic adventures about fringe LA punk culture as seen through the filter of pulp SF, with loveable locas working as mechanics in odd settings and taking inspiration from female wrestlers, with the occasional monster rampage thrown in. Meanwhile, Gilbert's storyline about the daily lives of the inhabitants of Palomar, a small Central American town, told warm, humanistic stories with a touch of magical realism thrown in. From this starting point, Love and Rockets evolved throughout the 80s into a masterful anthology series.

Maus - Art Spiegelman's Pulitzer winning biographical account of his father's survival of the holocaust (famous for it's depiction of Jews as mice and the Nazis as cats) and his autobiographical depiction of the effect learning his family history had on Spiegelman.

There, hopefully that'll help polish recommendations for some of the best comics on the list. I'll be back later with more descriptions and new recommendations.

Also, the list is a good resource, but it may be a bit difficult for a new reader to know where to start. Can we generally agree on a few core titles that should be recommended? Say a dozen at most, with bjork making the final call as to what should or shouldn't be included. I'm talking titles like:

Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Maus
Sandman
Cerebus
Akira
Nausicaa
Monster
V for Vendetta
Y the Last Man
Astonishing X-Men
All Star Superman

Basically, a short list in the first post that says, "Hi, if you're completely new to comics and don't know where to start, here are titles that are consistently recommended and are considered classics. Read the descriptions, see what interests you, head down to the bookstore or library, and jump in!" The rest of the recommendations work well for folks who are already somewhat familiar with comics, but I think we need a starting point.

FnordChan

bjork

Ha, I'd say you guys could make the final say on that. I've read like 1% of what's been mentioned here, I was just tired of the weekly "I'm getting into comics..." threads. :lol

FnordChan

bjork said:
Ha, I'd say you guys could make the final say on that. I've read like 1% of what's been mentioned here, I was just tired of the weekly "I'm getting into comics..." threads. :lol

Heh. Well, I figured since it was your thread you'd be the person to say "Okay, I'm going to just declare these titles the core recommendations in order to stop page after page of bickering over details." However, if you want to rely on us, I'd like to nominate my list as a brilliant example of the sort of recommendations the new comic reader should be given and suggest that it be used as-is with no discussion necessary. Others in the thread who may possibly disagree are obviously misguided and their comments should be disregarded. There, that was easy!

FnordChan, willing to set up formal voting for NeoGAF's favorite graphic novels if need be

Am I too late? Can the Invisibles by Grant Morrisson get added to the list for Vertigo stuff? Per Wikipedia:

The Invisibles is a mature readers comic book series that was published by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics from 1994 to 2000. It was created and scripted by Scottish writer Grant Morrison, and drawn by various artists throughout its publication.
The plot follows (more or less) a single cell of The Invisible College, a secret organization battling against physical and psychic oppression using time travel, magic, meditation, and physical violence.

Although the third volume is kind of a mess, the first two volumes are fantastic. The issue Best Man Fall is one of the best single issues of a comic I've ever read and the way it ties into the series years down the road is quite cool.

Kipe

FnordChan said:
FnordChan, willing to set up formal voting for NeoGAF's favorite graphic novels if need be

This needs to be done. The list is already too big and I'd feel sick if someone read Frank Miller's Ronin before his Daredevil run or Batman comics.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Smiles and Cries said:
I need more comedies in manga these days too depressed for those darker themes
great list though
Eyeshield 21 is pretty much the most fun I've ever had with a comic. I make it a point to feverishly go out and hunt down each volume immediately upon release, which isn't something I'm normally predisposed to do for comics nowadays. It's a manga about (American) football, but if you're not a fan of the sport don't let that stop you, I'm only a passive fan at best and it doesn't deter my enjoyment of the comic any. The art's amazing and the quality and variety of characterization throughout the cast is second to none.

Eyeshield-21.jpg

I'd also like to cast a recommendation for Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Very enjoyable tale of a relatively garden variety criminal getting thrown into the melting pot with Batman's adversaries. Also doubles as an excellent Etrigan story!

bjork

I'm all for a list of top graphic novels. I can only comment on a couple of them, so if we wanna get a top 15 list going or something, that's cool. Just need to get it edited into one of the first posts if I do get banned friday. :)

Blader

FnordChan said:
The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller's satire inspired an entire industry towards grim and gritty, proving that they didn't get the joke.

Are you sure about that? Because if DKR was supposed to be a joke, then Miller is still telling it.

FnordChan

Blader5489 said:
Are you sure about that? Because if DKR was supposed to be a joke, then Miller is still telling it.

Later, Miller had a run in with the brain eater. It happens.

Kipe, I'm loathe to do full voting on a top comics list, as both the canon (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, etc.) and the most popular current titles (Y, Astonishing X-Men) are fairly well established. Hyperbole aside, I think the list I posted is as good as any and isn't likely to be polished much by excessive voting discussion or what have you. That said, if that's what it takes I'm willing to set it up.

Shig, the best way to pimp titles you like is to post a short blurb about what the comic is about and why it's good.

FnordChan

tokkun

Thanks for the work on this thread.

However, I would like to suggest sorting the recommendations into categories, either by genre or target age group. I love Berserk, but I wouldn't recommend it to my Nana-reading friend. Likewise, there are probably not too many big Yotsubato fans who are going to want to read Dragon Head or Homunculus.

bjork

tokkun said:
Thanks for the work on this thread.

However, I would like to suggest sorting the recommendations into categories, either by genre or target age group. I love Berserk, but I wouldn't recommend it to my Nana-reading friend. Likewise, there are probably not too many big Yotsubato fans who are going to want to read Dragon Head or Homunculus.

I thought about that, but some are hard to label, or people would argue about whether it was a "this" or a "that." So I figure if there's a description and a link to something with the series art (even a cover), that's not too much wasted time for someone if they look at the synopsis of a series they wouldn't like.

Costanza

Banned
I finished reading Watchmen a couple nights ago, I was slightly disappointed but eh, it was still pretty enjoyable.

Anyway, I went to B&N today and the only volume 1 of anything they had was Ex Machina, so I grabbed that. Looks pretty cool.

FnordChan said:
Would story arcs be the ones we vote on or would it be the whole time a writer/artist is on a book?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
0375714545.jpg

I finished Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth just now. What a great read, should be in the OP. I loved how the awkward nature of the estranged father-son talks was done perfectly in the novel. My personal favorite section was the long tale of Jimmy's grandfather as a kid and the relationship with his father. god i felt sorry for that kid

I've been reading through a lot of stuff lately but this one really grabbed me, surprised it was only mentioned once in the thread.

Darunia said:
0375714545.jpg

I finished Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth just now. What a great read, should be in the OP. I loved how the awkward nature of the estranged father-son talks was done perfectly in the novel. My personal favorite section was the long tale of Jimmy's grandfather as a kid and the relationship with his father. god i felt sorry for that kid

I've been reading through a lot of stuff lately but this one really grabbed me, surprised it was only mentioned once in the thread.

One of my absolute favorites, enough that my wife bought me a page of original artwork from it, that hangs in my living room.

It's the page where he finds that his dad has set out bacon for him, and shrunk his shirt (split into two pages in the book version).

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
so having trouble on deciding a manga to read that I might like. I loved Berserk. Thats what got me interested in manga. Then I read chobits and loved it. It was so good. Now what next? I don't know what to read because those two are so vastly different from each other. any suggestions?

Blame! is a decent manga by Tsutomu Nihei. Great cyberpunk artwork. The first volume doesn't have any dialogue but that changes.

Wolverine: Snikt! is also by him as well.

Can anyone tell me what the essential DEADPOOL comics to read are? I'm craving something that isn't incredibly serious after reading all of these depressing ass comics.

FnordChan

Greatness Gone said:
Can anyone tell me what the essential DEADPOOL comics to read are? I'm craving something that isn't incredibly serious after reading all of these depressing ass comics.

What you want is the ongoing Deadpool series written by Joe Kelly from about a decade ago. After a couple of overly serious miniseries, this is where the Merc with the Mouth really came into his own, breaking the third wall, discussing his yellow thought balloons, and generally being goofy in a tremendously entertaining way that still allowed him to kill people. These comics were never collected so you'll need to hit eBay or your local comic shop, but it's worth the effort. After Kelly's run, 'Pool was written by Christopher Priest (amusing, but not quite as focused) and then Gail Simone (hysterical) briefly until the title merged into Agent X for seven issues. Beyond that, there was the recent Cable and Deadpool series written by Fabian Nicieza which I hear was actually pretty darned good, with our boy Wade using Cable as a straight man for his gags. I haven't read these myself, but if you want something that's a bit more readily available it may be worth giving a shot, with the caveat that the book's more about Cable than Deadpool. Volume one is cheap from Amazon either way.

FnordChan

Phthisis

Greatness Gone said:

Uh, all of them? Seriously, Deadpool is my favorite Marvel character. The Joe Kelly run from 97 is really good, but they're hard to find (though it looks like Marvel might collect them into trades here at some point as evidenced by Deadpool Classic Vol. 1). Speaking of Deadpool Classic, definitely pick up that trade. It's 10 issues (New Mutants #98, Circle Chase 1-4, Deadpool 1-4 from 1994, and Deadpool #1 from 1997). It's basically the perfect primer for the character.

I also recommend the entire Cable & Deadpool series as well. It's a bit of a roller coaster in terms of quality, but when it's good, it's really really good. The last trade (called Deadpool vs. The Marvel universe) doesn't even have Cable in it, and it's basically just Deadpool in wacky hijinx (even introducing the greatest sidekick ever: Bob, Agent of Hydra). Deadpool also appears in a recent 3 or 4 issue arc of Wolverine Origins. And Deadpool will also be getting his own brand new series in September.

Are comic books more expensive than manga? I can't remember, but I think that's the main reason I haven't bought any.

After watching The Dark Knight I feel like reading some comic books--more specifically on The Joker. Apparently The Killing Joke is a good place to start--that right?

Oh, and I know nothing about comic books. So, um, are there any out there with good art and engaging story? As in, the story relies heavily on morality/human psyche, etc.

dragonlife29 said:
Are comic books more expensive than manga? I can't remember, but I think that's the main reason I haven't bought any.

Short answer: yes. Average single issue is around $3 USD for around 32 pages (color), while the average single manga volume is $10 USD for 192 pages (black and white.)

Long answer: It's still apples and oranges if you compare trade paperbacks (collected single issues) vs. manga. An entire run of Sandman is expensive, but it's hard to proclaim it "more expensive" when you have, say, 30 volumes of Naruto sitting beside it.

PacoDG

Thank you bjork for making this thread (wherever you are), I have finally put it to use.

In my amazon basket right now is:

Deadpool Classics vol 1

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

and..

Watchmen

I wanted more.. and im thinking about go ahead and getting myself into $50 territory because there is a "Bill me Later" option that knocks ten bucks off...

I want Maus, Jellyfist, and Death Time of Your Life (I already own all the Sandman trades so I just want anything related now)... so hard to hold back and save money when things are just a click away :(

dragonlife29 said:
After watching The Dark Knight I feel like reading some comic books--more specifically on The Joker. Apparently The Killing Joke is a good place to start--that right?

I have had the Killing Joke trade since when it came out, I rate it 7 out of 10, but I'm sure other people like it more.

Phthisis

PacoDG said:
Thank you bjork for making this thread (wherever you are), I have finally put it to use.

In my amazon basket right now is:

Deadpool Classics vol 1

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

and..

Watchmen

I wanted more.. and im thinking about go ahead and getting myself into $50 territory because there is a "Bill me Later" option that knocks ten bucks off...

That's a good haul. If you end up liking Dark Knight Returns, I also recommend Batman Year One (it's better than DKR in my opinion).

Momar

aka Ryder
Just ordered Watchmen, The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, and The Killing Joke off Amazon. Can't wait :)

dragonlife29 said:
I think it's really great, even some people don't feel as passionate for TKJ as I do. TKJ is without a doubt, my most favorite comic book ever. Really. It is.

@ Phthisis - Thanks! Deadpool Classics Vol. 1 sounds awesome.

qcf x2

Already listed, but:

Claymore FTW. Last few issues were so awesome, shame it releases monthly. :cries:

Seriously, anyone at all interested in it, read it.

dragonlife29 said:

Oh, and I know nothing about comic books. So, um, are there any out there with good art and engaging story? As in, the story relies heavily on morality/human psyche, etc.

If you enjoyed TDK then Killing Joke is a great as this is basically the same kind of joker and it really explores the notion that Batman and The Joker have a intertwined fate. It gives The Joker an origin though and I think that is what turns some people off the book. They just prefer that the Joker just exists much like he does in TDK. I liked the origin Moore gave him though, it follows the idea of the book very well. The book is also good if you are getting into current Batman continuity as some of it is established here.

My recommendation though would be The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Predominantly focussed on Two Face but for me Tim Sale draws Batmans rogues gallery better than anyone. When Tim and Jeph work together its usually fantastic. On that note has anyone checked out Captain America: White yet?

gdt

I just finished reading Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, and The Dark Knight Strikes Back.

The first two are awesome, really really good.

The third is horrible. Aweful, shameful. Total change of tone, artwork, color, disjointed, barely any Batman, weird sex and dialogue between Superman and Wonderwoman.

Ugh...

Edit: Im reading Y-The Last Man next...

Vyer

I'm upset that Robinson's Starman is not included here (or that I missed it).

Starman: A beautifully written superhero story that reads almost like it's for people who don't really like superhero stories. It's the tale of Jack Knight, son of JSA hero Starman Ted Knight, and brother of David Knight, who enthusiastically takes up the Starman name only to be brutally taken down on his first night out - just a few pages into the first issue. No, that's not a spoiler; it is the jumping off point for the whole series. What follows is a true testament to what superheroes are really all about; all through the eyes of a reluctant, non-spandex wearing, cliche-hating novice in Jack. This is why I think the series is really great; even with a considerable lack of all the staples of a superhero comic, Starman is still a celebration of them. Robinson uses Jack's journey to highlight all the things that make superhero comics what they are; yet he presents them all in a slightly different way that is poignant and fresh.

There are trades and also a collected 'omnibus' out now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401216994/?tag=neogaf0e-20

zhenming

Hey guys, anyone know any graphic on batmans origins and his battles with joker? I mean the "must have" ones I just got Year One tonight.

Shig said:
Eyeshield 21 is pretty much the most fun I've ever had with a comic. I make it a point to feverishly go out and hunt down each volume immediately upon release, which isn't something I'm normally predisposed to do for comics nowadays. It's a manga about (American) football, but if you're not a fan of the sport don't let that stop you, I'm only a passive fan at best and it doesn't deter my enjoyment of the comic any. The art's amazing and the quality and variety of characterization throughout the cast is second to none.

Eyeshield-21.jpg

I'd also like to cast a recommendation for Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Very enjoyable tale of a relatively garden variety criminal getting thrown into the melting pot with Batman's adversaries. Also doubles as an excellent Etrigan story!

just finding this post. I knew about Eyeshield 21 a few years back Nintendo owned the license so I watched the anime and read the manga for about 30 chapters or so. I will start over later in the week

This week I read a lot of stuff even learned a new word Manhwa (Korean Manga) at first I avoid these books since the Korean words and culture confused my Japanese Otaku brain but I started reading Unbalance X2 I guess I like it so far

Phthisis

zhenming said:
Hey guys, anyone know any graphic on batmans origins and his battles with joker? I mean the "must have" ones I just got Year One tonight.

The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs

Also, when you're done with those, the third chapter of Dark Knight Returns (and probably the best chapter) is the conclusion of the Batman/Joker rivalry (and it's fucking amazing).

randomwab

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to bjorn and FnordChan for making a nice guide for people looking for recommendations. After reading Preacher, I went for a few things mentioned in here and some have turned out really great. Although I wasn't impressed too much by Watchmen and The Ultimates 1, I was more or less blown away by Batman: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns, as well as Superman For All Seasons. There's something fascinating for me to see people attempting to ground Super Heroes in reality, a huge difference (for the better) from when I used to read Spiderman, X-Men and such when I was a kid.

I'll probably grab Batman: Year One next. And It's a pity to hear that Deadpool's own series has yet to be collected, I stopped reading comics around the time that the series was canned (think that was around '02) and wouldn't mind reading through it again.

PacoDG

Finished reading Watchmen last week, it was really good. I hope none of the side stuff that had the kid reading the guy at sea comic make it into the movie (not that it was terrible, but obviously things are going to be cut from the movie, and that would be my first pick.

Finished reading Deadpool Classics just yesterday. Fucking good.... not as good as the full issues I have read.. but it gave a good intro to the character (I have his first issues when they made his debut, but it didn't flesh out his character like his own comic does). Either way, im now officially pissed they don't have trades of his comics yet, the Cable/Deadpool books don't interest me that much based on .. Cable.. but if anyone says they are good here, speak up please.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
PacoDG said:
Finished reading Deadpool Classics just yesterday. Fucking good.... not as good as the full issues I have read.. but it gave a good intro to the character (I have his first issues when they made his debut, but it didn't flesh out his character like his own comic does). Either way, im now officially pissed they don't have trades of his comics yet, the Cable/Deadpool books don't interest me that much based on .. Cable.. but if anyone says they are good here, speak up please.

Cable & Deadpool was good. Not Kelly-run Deadpool (original series #1-33) good, but up there with the rest, at least until Zircher (the artist for CDP #1-25) left the series. He must've gelled really well with Fabian Nicieza, because after Zircher left it went pretty far downhill, getting bogged down by bullshit Marvel continuity without being major enough to bring anything of its own to the table. A big chunk of that 26-50 section didn't even have any humor outside of the recap page, seriously damning what was such great fun in the first half. And Zircher's art was leagues better than the stuff from the guys who took over for him.

As for Cable being in there, he and Deadpool compliment each other well in the first half, and I wouldn't really go by other Cable shit when deciding whether or not to try CDP out. Try the first TPB; you like it, grab 2-4.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished Preacher. Wow. Yeah, that about sums it up. Shit reads like it was tailor made for me after labored dissection of my brain.

You know, I respect western comics more and more with each one of these amazing stories I read. I had dabbled here and there over the years...Watchmen, DKR, Age of Apocalypse, Deadpool, etc....but now that I've *really* dived head first into the medium I find that I don't want to surface. Totally hooked. This thread is a great resource, too.

FnordChan

MidiSurf said:
Can anyone recommend good CyberPunk comics ? Noire CyberPunk would be best but I'll take other recommends too.

It's not noir, but you should absolutely read Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson. It's about a sort of near-future Hunter S. Thompson who alternates between profane, street level antics and writing scathing political columns. It's very darkly humorous and has some absolutely wonderful moments. Ten trade paperbacks wrap up the entire series.

If you haven't read Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira, you should really go read Akira. If you've seen the movie and liked it at all, you'll probably enjoy the comic a lot more, as it has time to flesh things out and, you know, have a coherent ending. In any case, it's masterfully drawn and has biker gangs and psychic powers, so what more could you ask for? Six volumes, some of which are unfortunately out of print at the moment, though I believe they're going to be reissued in the not too distant future.

Finally, Hiroki Endo's Eden: It's An Endless World! is Akira taken to the next level. Clearly inspired by Otomo's clean, detailed style, Endo writes about a post-apocalyptic environment where a young man with powerful parents tries to find his own way in the world while also coping with the politics surrounding his family. The results are very, very grim, with cybernetic mercenaries and soldiers waging incredibly violent street fights, with later detours into the sex trade and political assassinations. Ten volumes are currently available from Dark Horse and they're all amazing.

FnordChan, repeating recommendations from earlier in the thread, but what the heck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom