• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Comic/Manga Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
What is the general consensu on Frank Miller's Ronin ? I was thinking about getting the absolution edition but it is kinda pricy so I decided check out what GAF has to say about it.

Rorschach

CiSTM said:
What is the general consensu on Frank Miller's Ronin ? I was thinking about getting the absolution edition but it is kinda pricy so I decided check out what GAF has to say about it.
It's not worth the Absolute edition IMO. It's barely worth the paperback edition.

CiSTM

Banned
Rorschach said:
It's not worth the Absolute edition IMO. It's barely worth the paperback edition.

Alrighty then, I will buy the paperback edition if I can find it for cheap :lol

I'm about to (hopefully) finish 100 Bullets soon. (maybe today) Can someone recommend me anything similar?

I'm also interested in high school/teenager superhero comics. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man and I'm getting into Invincible. Thanks in advance.

Blader

gunswordfist said:
I'm about to (hopefully) finish 100 Bullets soon. (maybe today) Can someone recommend me anything similar?

Maybe try Filthy Rich? I haven't read it myself, but it's another crime noir book written by Azzarello, and it's only an OGN so it won't cost nearly as much as 100 Bullets.

Blackhead

Redarse
gunswordfist said:

I'm also interested in high school/teenager superhero comics. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man and I'm getting into Invincible. Thanks in advance.
How about Runaways?

Blader5489 said:
Maybe try Filthy Rich? I haven't read it myself, but it's another crime noir book written by Azzarello, and it's only an OGN so it won't cost nearly as much as 100 Bullets.
I do love Azzarello's comics. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Viewt

gunswordfist said:
Does anyone have any action movie style (from Die Hard to Commando) comic book recommendations?
How about Die Hard: Year One? I've heard good things, though I haven't read it myself.

diehard.jpg

Viewt said:
How about Die Hard: Year One? I've heard good things, though I haven't read it myself.

diehard.jpg
Whoa, I had no clue there was a Die Hard comic book.

Does anyone have any ultraviolent scifi (like Frank Miller's Robocop), zombie (I'm already reading The Walking Dead) or horror (I LOVE I Am Legend) comic book recommendations?

Bleepey

My work is giving us anybook we want up to £6 not including P and P at Amazon and the final day is tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Maybe I'm not doing the right thing by resurrecting this thread but it sounded more right than to start a new one.. It's been almost a year since last post - someone must have new recommendations for new great comics..

I'm looking to get back into collecting and reading comics after almost a decade long hiatus. At the time I quit my favorite comics were Betman (Kelly/Jones' batman with the loooong ears.. Mmm), Rising Stars, Steampunk and Midnight Nation.. So now that you know my tastes, I'm open to your recommendations :)

Fritz

Yo, comic readers. While browsing the web I came across these comics:
Lucha-Libre-Comics-1.jpg

Anyone read those? They look fucking awesome, but I am hesitant cause I'ld had to order them from overseas.

bjork

Hey, I remember this thread!

I seem to remember reading a preview of this Lucha comic (probably in one of the weekly threads) and thinking it was pretty cool, but maybe someone with more well-rounded taste can comment on it.

Riposte

Having the insanely heavy berserk spoilers in the description is silly. How are you going to suggest someone a comic and at the same time ruin the most emotional part/twist of the story?

(Not sure if this counts as a necrobump, but this was recently linked to, so the thread is still relevant.)

ReaperXL7

So I was not sure if I should post in this thread, or the thread for new manga stuff, but since my question pertains to some older stuff I figured I would just post here and hope for the best.

I wanted to get some opinions on two sets of manga, years ago I became a pretty big fan of both Bastard!!!, and Gants and I was wondering if anyone would recommend the Mangas for either, I keep wanting to pick up the Manga for Bastard!! especially as it's probably a pipe dream that they will ever finish anything in animation, and from what I understand they continued the story through the Manga.

With Gants I really enjoyed the anime, and i've heard various thoughts on the Manga ranging from decent, great. I would appreciate any opinions on either of these sets if anyone has read them and can give some thoughts. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

NEO0MJ

Considering this is the newest comic thread that apears in search I think this is the right place to ask.
Recently I've picked up the first two volumes of Sandman from a bookstore and think it's pretty darn good. I bought the recolored edition and want to know how to tell the difference between them and the old ones in online stores such as amazon.

Troll

Banned
Considering this is the newest comic thread that apears in search I think this is the right place to ask.
Recently I've picked up the first two volumes of Sandman from a bookstore and think it's pretty darn good. I bought the recolored edition and want to know how to tell the difference between them and the old ones in online stores such as amazon.

It will say that it's remastered in the description. Sandman is one of my absolute favorite reads. 10\10.

Does anyone else find the vertigo line incredibly superior to the main DC branding?

Over the years i have read and seen a lot about comic books without really reading any. After marathoning through the excellent "Comic Book Men" on AMC i got the itch to read some comics. like everyone these days i just read "Walking Dead" which was excellent, but now i want to get in to Superhero comics. i dig the Marvel movies so i'm eager to try some of that but i have no idea what to read and in which comics i need to know what about the heroes past. it's really overwhelming. can i just read any #1 issue without needing to know anything about heroes or characters? Are there billions of different timelines going on? do they reboot the character all 2-3 years with new origin stories?

SolKane

Might as well join the party myself. I haven't read any comics in 5 years or so, and for some reason have been interested in reading some of the newest stuff. I used to enjoy things like Fables, Y the Last Man, Vertigo, Alan Moore stuff, etc. Looking for things similar to those, interesting stories that span several arcs.

I went and bought the first volume of Chew yesterday, and based on the Hawkeye thread I think I'm going to order the first Hawkeye trade and the first Iron Fist trade. But I tend to shy away from superhero stuff unless it's well regarded. So, if anyone has any recommendations, please share.

DrSlek

Aw, no love for Lucifer. Again.

Lucifer is possibly my favourite series, with The Unwritten running a close second.

In fact, I quite enjoy most of Mike Carey's work.

Over the years i have read and seen a lot about comic books without really reading any. After marathoning through the excellent "Comic Book Men" on AMC i got the itch to read some comics. like everyone these days i just read "Walking Dead" which was excellent, but now i want to get in to Superhero comics. i dig the Marvel movies so i'm eager to try some of that but i have no idea what to read and in which comics i need to know what about the heroes past. it's really overwhelming. can i just read any #1 issue without needing to know anything about heroes or characters? Are there billions of different timelines going on? do they reboot the character all 2-3 years with new origin stories?

Start small. pick a book that looks good, and if you need to know something about the characters within, check wikipedia.
I highly recommend The Immortal Iron Fist, Iron Man: Extremis, Hawkeye, Patsy Walker: Hellcat, Planet Hulk, The Incredible Hercules, and Ares: God of War.

Start small. pick a book that looks good, and if you need to know something about the characters within, check wikipedia.
I highly recommend The Immortal Iron Fist, Iron Man: Extremis, Hawkeye, Patsy Walker: Hellcat, Planet Hulk, The Incredible Hercules, and Ares: God of War.

thanks man, really appreciate the reply. got myself some immortal iron fist, looked good and critics were good.
got myself Saga too.

Necrovex

I'm a little sad this thread died. I picked up Kingdom Come today because of this thread. And I plan to revisit this thread as I continue to delve into comics.

Also, do people not like Kick-Ass in Comic-Gaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom