• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF3 DS JPN/US thread

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Zyid said:
Prove it!

Detailed impressions, now!
The details are that the game is somewhere between Hong Kong and Rochester NY. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barf_the_Mog said:
I'm frightened at the lethargic response by GAFers on the launch day of FINAL FANTASY III!!!! Why hasn't this thread topped 10,000 posts yet? Where are the pics of Japanese lining up to get their copy of the game? Where are the people who live in Japan who usually give first-day impressions?

It has been a busy day here on the GAF.

Aurora

Barf_the_Mog said:
I'm frightened at the lethargic response by GAFers on the launch day of FINAL FANTASY III!!!! Why hasn't this thread topped 10,000 posts yet? Where are the pics of Japanese lining up to get their copy of the game? Where are the people who live in Japan who usually give first-day impressions?
Amen brother!
I demand all of the above!

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Some quotes from the IGN article:

...but the loading times in between battles are really annoying. The transition from a dungeon to a battle - as well as going from the overworld to a town - takes up to 3 seconds

When you zoom in on some areas, it gets really pixilated and ugly, but you're rarely forced to do this.

I don't know why, but I definitely got a serious FFVII vibe from the game for a second or two, just because of the how the remade visuals are set up.

there's a long FMV sequence, and I have to admit, although I usually loathe such videos, the opening of the game is so well done that I don't mind watching it before I actually play the game.

Fortunately the game has the pedigree to stand up to some of the heavy hitters that are going to be released at the same time, including its console brother, Final Fantasy XII.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
It's annoying when you want to get from a town to a dungeon and you don't want to go through random battles. If it's a long journey then prepare to add time to your game. Think Skies of Arcadia and how long it took to finish a battle.

thefro

God, that IGN impressions story is terrible
- NA release date listed wrong
- "More story in 2 hours" than the new FF games give in 10 hours (yeah right)
- "All Old RPGS have excellent pacing" :lol
- "Loading Time between battles is annoying" (as fast or faster than the SNES RPGs... I timed it, and it smokes say, FFVII)
- "You're forced to level grind" (nope, you just suck at the game)
- "You need to have a balanced team of characters to be potent" (Not necessarily, and in fact some areas of the game are easiest with an unbalanced team of all Mages or all Dragoons, for instance)
- "You can't change jobs on the fly and have to stick with them the whole game" (flat-out wrong)
- Rips the battle animation because your party members don't physically run out and hit enemies, even though it's an obvious throwback to the SNES titles that he acts like he's played before, and anyone with a working brain would have noted it was a design choice at least.
- Says Mognet Message System is in FFXI (wasn't it in IX?)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Actually from impressions I think there are places where you might have to grind a bit, but leveling up is much faster than it was in the original game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
thefro said:
God, that IGN impressions story is terrible
- NA release date listed wrong
- "More story in 2 hours" than the new FF games give in 10 hours (yeah right)
- "All Old RPGS have excellent pacing" :lol
- "Loading Time between battles is annoying" (as fast or faster than the SNES RPGs... I timed it, and it smokes say, FFVII)
- "You're forced to level grind" (nope, you just suck at the game)
- "You need to have a balanced team of characters to be potent" (Not necessarily, and in fact some areas of the game are easiest with an unbalanced team of all Mages or all Dragoons, for instance)
- "You can't change jobs on the fly and have to stick with them the whole game" (flat-out wrong)
- Rips the battle animation because your party members don't physically run out and hit enemies, even though it's an obvious throwback to the SNES titles that he acts like he's played before, and anyone with a working brain would have noted it was a design choice at least.
- Says Mognet Message System is in FFXI (wasn't it in IX?)
is this for real? some of his complaints are actually good things for me (like having a balanced team) while other of his complaints are pretty ****ing retarded.

Deku

Banned
IGN continues to lose credibility. Who do they have writing these impressions? Teenages whose first FF game was FF VII?

apujanata

Shard said:
Well, if anybody is interested, IGN DS has some detailed first impressions of Final Fantasy III DS up at their site.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/727/727506p1.html

by Andrew Alfonso

It must be a new guy at IGN (new as in less than 1 year working for IGN).

Anyone who has ever played FF series on PS1 and PS2, has no right to complain about 3 second load time. This Andrew must be someone who hate RPG (IMO).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Error2k4 said:
is this for real? some of his complaints are actually good things for me (like having a balanced team) while other of his complaints are pretty ****ing retarded.
Worry not! There will be a fair and balanced RK Review coming for FFIIIDS. :D
I'm starting to write again, woo!

Deku

Banned
Of course, there are classes that are much stronger than others, but that only adds to the challenge of the game. Unlike the current generation of FF titles, it's really important to have a balanced team of characters if you want to be potent. You can't create any sort of "tank" mage that can deal out tons of damage with spells and absorb everything like it's nothing. If you want access to those high-level spells, be prepared to take a serious hit in terms of pure attacking power and defense. Also, unlike FFX-2, you can't change jobs on the fly, so once you've chosen a job for your character, you have to stick with it in order to maximize the full potential of your character.

Cringe worthy. Apparently this kid also hasn't played a minute of FFXI.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Did I just read this right? Did he just complain that mages don't get awesome attack and defense stats? :lol

"WHY CAN'T MY MAGE BE A BROKEN CHARACTER WITH 500 ATTACK, DEFENSE, MAGIC ATTACK, AND MAGIC DEFENSE?!"

MrDaravon

Holy shit, that IGN preview is absolutely horrible. I mean he's entitled to his opinion and all, but half the time he's just factually wrong and the other half he's just retarded. Even from IGN that's just really, really poor.

GaimeGuy said:
Did I just read this right? Did he just complain that mages don't get awesome attack and defense stats? :lol

"WHY CAN'T MY MAGE BE A BROKEN CHARACTER WITH 500 ATTACK, DEFENSE, MAGIC ATTACK, AND MAGIC DEFENSE?!"

Well, honestly, I just took it as a factual statement (that is correct) and not a complaint ... I didn't see any evidence that he was criticizing the system.

Some other parts of the preview are a little goofy or inaccurate, though, as pointed out.

RevenantKioku

Well, ever since FFVI you can pretty much customize every single character to be anyway you want, so his point is kinda there.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The female thief is hot. Like, I'd hit it.

Also, btw, this game is the shit.

Best FF ever.

Red Scarlet

thefro said:
Holy @#% (one of the new hidden bosses added to this game)

Google translation gives the name as "THE IRON GIANT", and even maxed out Fully Equipped Onion Knights fall to his might.

http://ranobe.sakuratan.com/up/src/up131901.jpg

2ch's FFIII DS wiki

http://www12.atwiki.jp/ff3ds/

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja|en&u=http://www12.atwiki.jp/ff3ds/

Looking at that url, yep, it's an Iron Giant (from FF2,5,7,8,9).
てつきょじん

Red Scarlet

Awesome spoiler picz. Could you simply link those?
They do answer a question I was wondering
there's a bestiary/monster picture book!

I work at IGN!

And I've SS-ranked DMC3SE DMD mode with a scratch Dante, not to mention beat Ozma at lvl 1, and completed Ninja Gaiden on my first playthrough

elostyle said:
Contemplating whether or not to go buy it dispite really limited knowledge of the japanese language.

Would it be a more enjoyable expercience for you to trudge through it, figuring it out along the way or to have it easily accessible and expedient?

thefro

S-E just dropped 2 new commericals on the Official Site (which are the 5th and 6th TV spots already).

And we should have most of the Weapons/Armor/Items/Monsters translated on the Wiki in a week or so (Menus are already done), but doubt we get through much of the story.
http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/

CloudV

Ahh, I want to go get this but I'm low on cash till payday next week, unfortunately I spent all my bic camera points on persona 3.

In the mean time though, I made a couple of chaku-uta's for my phone (yes I'm bored) using the music from the promotion video. Hopefully this will tide me over till I can go pick it up next week.

If anyone wants them, just pm me and I'll send you the url to point your phone at to dl them, or if you tell me your keitai mail I can mail them to you. These are 3gp files, made for NTT DoCoMo FOMA phones, not sure if Au or Voda/Softbank users can use them. Anyways, you too can now pimp your ff nerdiness in Japan with these ring tones.

Link1110

thefro said:
S-E just dropped 2 new commericals on the Official Site (which are the 5th and 6th TV spots already).

And we should have most of the Weapons/Armor/Items/Monsters translated on the Wiki in a week or so (Menus are already done), but doubt we get through much of the story.
http://ff3trans.pbwiki.com/

I've been checking the wiki every so often. Just transcribe it, I'll be happy to translate (I did the Altar Cave translation.)

Fireblend

Banned
Yes awesome images! I know I'm getting spoiled as much as I can but damn, I just can't resist it. I can't wait for this game, seriously. Keep the images/impressions comming!

thefro

Link1110 said:
I've been checking the wiki every so often. Just transcribe it, I'll be happy to translate (I did the Altar Cave translation.)

Actually xcomp did a full translation of the main story text in the game for his site (I'd link to it but it's the one that this forum censors out), so that's not going to be necessary. Already starting to plug that in now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just started playing FF3 today. Picked it up on my way to work, and played a bit between teaching classes. Played a bit more tonight. Just got to Tozas.

I've posted my initial impressions, and some screens, on my blog: http://hdr-lying.blogspot.com

I'd post my thoughts again, but I'm lazy. :p

EDIT: Any of you idiots lambasting IGN for the grind comment, it's not entirely untrue. I was lucky enough to find that in the first hour, I can just arm all my freelancers with dual wield long swords, and they cut through almost everything.

There is a bit of grinding, but it's so transparent, that I hesitate to call it grinding. Hell, I lost my way, and I ended up grinding to my desired level as I searched the dungeon. It's not hours of grinding. Not at all.

RevenantKioku

charlequin said:
You're dead to me now!
I'm dead to most of GAF, I think.
I'm just a man waiting for his FF3DS and looking for love. Seriously though, I've never had such a problem just finding single women like I have in this city! It's kind of bizarre really. But Rochester ain't all that bad. Wait, so you're actually out in the ol' Ro-cha-cha?

Link1110

Got the game, some thoughts and observations.

Its fun. It's basically the same game you remember with better graphics and an actual STORY.

I want an extra DS now. Has anyone rewired one to reverse the 2 screens? Having the action on the bottom screen is AWKWARD (No, I didn't like that in Castlevania either.)

Some things I noticed:

There aren't any werewolves in Ur, I thought they took the Werewolves and Berserkers out even and went to Jin's cave as soon as i got all 4 characters, and got 0wned. I wound up having one character case bilzzard on the Jin's Cave monsters while 3 of my characters defended and grind from lvel 3 to 7 that way to have a shot in there.

The Werevolves and berserkers are now on the world map near Kazusu, and its a good idea to grind there for a bit.

The atk bonus from the original if you equip 2 of the same weapon is gone (In the original, if you equipped 2 of the same weapon one in each hand, you'd get like 3-5 extra atk.)

Bows and Arrows actually do more than 5 damage in this game, unlike most FFs.

Top Bottom