• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings Import Impressions Thread

teiresias

Glad to see my skepticism was justified even though alot of people in the other RW threads were saying, "this game will be awesome, you know nothing!!"

Well, being "glad" isn't really the right sentiment I suppose, since a good game would have been better than this, but oh well.

manzo

iifu said:
Most. Depressing. Thread. Ever. :(

Things that bother you,
never bother me!

Things that bother you,
never bother me
I feel happy and fine!
AHA!
Living in the sunlight,
loving in the moonlight
Having a wonderful time!

hand-on-chin.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ya know, considering a lot of this is control issues...

It's not like it can't all be tweaked before the US release.
They do that often, ya know.

If they do that, I'll laugh up a lung.

And then buy the game.

(Not to mention a fundamental problem - the camera - can't be tweaked.)

duckroll

John Harker said:
Ya know, considering a lot of this is control issues...

It's not like it can't all be tweaked before the US release.
They do that often, ya know.

The problems can't be "tweaked" because they're core design issues. Some issues can be tweaked, like not deselecting units after issueing a command. Unforuntately unless they remake the entire game, there are still some very serious problems in the design.

CloudV

tebiro boy said:
GAF Tokyoites: where/what day of the week can I get a DS Lite? I stupidly gave mine to my little sister thinking they couldn't possibly still be hard to get hold of in Japan... but I can't find one! I've heard rumours at work that you have to queue up early on Saturday morning...

I've found some rip-off places in Akihabara selling them at a mark-up, but I don't buy from such places as a matter of principle.

...but I really want to play Revenant Wings. :(

In general, restock is from Friday to Sunday, random hours. Most places will not tell you they've got them in stock or when they'll sell them, but will sometimes put a sign out front saying they're in stock (Bic Camera does this). However, your best bet is to just pick an area on Friday night and hit all the stores then try again during the day on Saturday or Sunday. I've managed to snag a couple of DS Lites with friends just by going in after work or on the weekend. I would recommend Ikebukuro, and not just because I live there, but because they have three different Bic Camera's you can check as well as a Sakuraya, all within about 5 minutes walking distance from each other.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
duckroll said:
The problems can't be "tweaked" because they're core design issues. Some issues can be tweaked, like not deselecting units after issueing a command. Unforuntately unless they remake the entire game, there are still some very serious problems in the design.

Gotcha. Yea, I just meant stuff like AI and path-following, unit selection, etc... just minor stuff.

Hows the story holdin' up?

Does the game have a US release date yet?

Bebpo

Banned
Gave it a shot tonight and.... I like it!

I only played a few missions so I have no idea about the depth or challenge or AI problems yet. But what I like is that straight from the start the game feels very polished. The graphics are the best I've seen on DS and scrolling the 3d map is smoooooth. The music is excellent thanks to the FFXII score, the dialogue is fun and since it's the cast I know it's more enjoyable, and the controls are simple and easy as is the game early on.

It's just nice to sit back and enjoy a game without having to think once and a while. Follow the cutscenes, point at the enemies, enjoy the ride. It's a nice alternative to P3FES, which makes your head explode :D

I think I'll be sticking with it after I finish up FES this weekend.

SOLDIER

This sounds like an absolute travesty. Instead of attempting to fill in the parts FFXII didn't get to say, they took what was arguably the most mature setting in the series' history and kiddied it up?

Do the characters at least talk to each other this time? Or does this follow FFTA's method of 99% soulless missions, followed by maybe one or two story-related missions?

You know what, you can keep your Ivalice.

duckroll

John Harker said:
Gotcha. Yea, I just meant stuff like AI and path-following, unit selection, etc... just minor stuff.

Hows the story holdin' up?

Does the game have a US release date yet?

Story's pretty good. It does seem they're using a lot of left over background material from FFXII. Poor Matsuno's getting his grave trampled on all over, but at least it's Toriyama doing the trampling so it's okay. I like the guy's directing.

Gameplay's still braindead though. For the past few missions the objectives have been "destroy the enemy's crystal" or "kill <insert boss enemy>", and to win all i did was literally select all my troops at the stary and select the main target. I ignored every other enemy on the map and just won. Boo.

SOLDIER said:
This sounds like an absolute travesty. Instead of attempting to fill in the parts FFXII didn't get to say, they took what was arguably the most mature setting in the series' history and kiddied it up?

Do the characters at least talk to each other this time? Or does this follow FFTA's method of 99% soulless missions, followed by maybe one or two story-related missions?

You know what, you can keep your Ivalice.

That's not true at all. The story does fill gaps in FFXII's scenario. It's a continuation of the story even though the director and writer claimed in interviews it's not. (Clearly to not frighten away the newbie crowd)

The story just isn't that serious, but it still has dramatic moments. It's more lighthearted and there's tons of filler stuff at the beginning, but it builds up. There's tons of conversations and cutscenes all the time. It's the gameplay that I feel is just really, really weak.

The game seems kinda short too, I'm at 62% completion for total missions (including optional ones) and I'm only 10 hours in. :/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ananaz said:
I'm starting to get the feeling he left Square in the first place because he didn't share the companys ideals of turning Ivalice into a fantastic world of shitty sequels and spin-offs. :/

That is pretty much what I thought. Basically they wanted to make more games set in Ivalice without necessarily having him working on all of them (basically they would not give him oversight of the games). He probably didn't like the direction they were planning to take or how they were in a way taking away from him the world he made maybe?

Oh well, I really hope he and Sakimoto manage to make another game togheter, maybe he will go to work at Mistwalker?

SOLDIER

That's not true at all. The story does fill gaps in FFXII's scenario. It's a continuation of the story even though the director and writer claimed in interviews it's not. (Clearly to not frighten away the newbie crowd)

The story just isn't that serious, but it still has dramatic moments. It's more lighthearted and there's tons of filler stuff at the beginning, but it builds up. There's tons of conversations and cutscenes all the time. It's the gameplay that I feel is just really, really weak.

Well, I suppose that's a relief. I don't mind them making things more fun or lighthearted, as long as it means not turning characters like Basch into comic relief or pretty much parodying the events of the first game.

But overall, I'm just not happy with the way the FFXII world was handled. There was a fantastic setting and story present, but real world conflicts ended up nixing more than half of it, and tossing the leftover bits in this DS sequel doesn't help one bit. I just can't stand it when a game fails to reach its full potential.

duckroll

SOLDIER said:
Well, I suppose that's a relief. I don't mind them making things more fun or lighthearted, as long as it means not turning characters like Basch into comic relief or pretty much parodying the events of the first game.

The characters are pretty much the same characters that were in FFXII. Vaan and Penelo are much more fleshed out and have personality this time round. The only thing that's been kiddified is the horrible character art, and the fact that your pirate party is mostly made up of Vaan's kiddy friends Tomaji, Katsu and Fio.

But overall, I'm just not happy with the way the FFXII world was handled. There was a fantastic setting and story present, but real world conflicts ended up nixing more than half of it, and tossing the leftover bits in this DS sequel doesn't help one bit. I just can't stand it when a game fails to reach its full potential.

Yeah, as I said, the Matsuno-grave-stomping sucks, but oh well. I guess we'll never get the full story on what really went down during the developed of FFXII... It would make a good book though!

Aeana

I haven't read anybody else's impressions yet, since I didn't want to 'ruin' anything for myself; but after a few hours with the game, here's some of my own. I don't know how useful they will be since it seems several people have already posted their impressions.

- Everything is real-time, which was expected (and dreaded, as I'm not a fan of RTS games at all). The difference here is that the pace is a little slower than most RTS games, and in my experience, things don't rush you - giving you time to think about what you're doing next. Enemies generally wander around on the map until you walk near them, similar to FF12.

- So far, you don't have that many options, but I find that to be in my favor. You have four unit types (flying, direct, indirect, support) and it's kind of like rock/paper/scissors in the way you'd expect: flying units do well against direct units, indrect units do well against flying units, and so on. As someone who does not like RTS games and finds herself overwhelmed when too many things are going on at once, I'm finding this to be a pretty good balance.

- Whenever you perform an action, the game de-selects your units, which can be a pain in the butt. You can select all units on the screen with X, or you can cycle through party members with Y to select them and their summons, which is useful. It is a bit hard to select the exact unit you want sometimes, especially if you're trying to manually heal somebody. The camera is moved with the dpad, which is nice.

- You can summon monsters (of course). Each of your party members can summon monsters to be in their little group, which costs capacity, but the capacity limit is global. I actually like this a lot better than having one gargantuan force - even if you do usually travel together as a group - because it makes it very easy to split off when necessary, provided you've constructed your 'deck' of summons well (more on that later).

- It started out pretty easy. The first few missions were pathetically easy. Starting in chapter 2, some of the fights got really hard for me, especially the first real boss. The optional missions (which opened up in chapter 3) have proven to be a challenge, as well. I very nearly died in the first one I tried to do (which had me fighting monsters that were a higher rank than my own).

- The gambit system is very disappointing. I was hoping for gambits like in FF12, but really all you do is select one move to be used automatically. On the upside, it doesn't seem like moves cost anything to use, and instead just have recharge times. I find myself switching my active gambit fairly often, just because it can be so annoying to target the units you want. For example: I usually have Penelo's gambit set to Curaga, but if a few units in the group get a negative status effect, I'll switch her gambit over to Esunaga because it's not always easy to select the units you need to cure. :(

- The License Ring is very simple, but it works well enough. You obtain &#32854;&#30707; (called Auracite in English in one of the mission titles), and use it to make contracts with new summon monsters. You start in the center and move outwards in many different directions, moving along the paths as you would the sphere grid in FFX. The only annoying part is that you can only see one quarter of the ring at a time -- it has to be rotated with the shoulder buttons before you can see more of it.

- Before battle, you're asked to put together 'decks' of summons. The deck is just which summons will be available to you in battle, either immediately or through the summoning circle (a location available on the field, which is sometimes in control of the enemy -- you can take it over). There are five slots in a deck, and each slot has a rank number, which limits the rank of summon you can place into it.

- A little ways into the game, something called 'astral power' is introduced, which allows you to increase the power of your units mid-battle (it only lasts for the duration of the battle, however). The astral power (AP) is accrued over time during the fight, and you can use it to level your units at any summon circle that you control. It's been pretty useful for me so far!

- The story has had me chuckling a few times. There's definitely some satire here, similar to FFX-2. Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you. There have been a number of serious parts, too, though and they have been pretty interesting. I'm eager to see what's going to happen next.

- There are some nice videos here and there, and they look pretty nice.

- The music, all in all, sounds really nice. A lot of it is from FF12, but there is actually more original stuff here than I expected. Some of the original stuff has motifs of FF12 music, too. There are even battle themes, now, which play when you encounter enemies on the field. After the last enemy dies, the music returns to the field music.

As someone who was really afraid of how this game would turn out - having LOVED FF12 but loathing RTS games - I am pleased with this game, so far. There are less of the RTS elements I really dislike than I expected, and under most circumstances, I'm allowed to go at my own pace without being rushed by the opposition. It kind of feels like a mixture of FFT and FF12 in some ways, just completely in real time. The game could get worse, but as of now (chapter 4) my opinion is a favorable one.

ethelred

Really nice impressions, Aeana -- thanks.

I liked this part:

I'm allowed to go at my own pace without being rushed by the opposition. It kind of feels like a mixture of FFT and FF12 in some ways, just completely in real time. The game could get worse, but as of now (chapter 4) my opinion is a favorable one.

Sounds good to me. :)

hoqhuuep

Quick question. Not having played FF12 (yeah I know), would I still be able to enjoy this game? I guess what I'm asking is this - is this more of a spin-off or a sequel of sorts?

Thanks guys.

FoxSpirit

manzo said:
Things that bother you,
never bother me!

Things that bother you,
never bother me
I feel happy and fine!
AHA!
Living in the sunlight,
loving in the moonlight
Having a wonderful time!

hand-on-chin.jpg

*is curious*
*youtubes song*

Oh my god :lol :lol :lol

duckroll

I'm almost at the end. I'm on the final mission of Chapter 8, which is pretty hard because another boss shows up after you beat the primary objective. The game's actually quite fun, but the control issues and various design flaws really bring down the experience.

There's no question that the gameplay is a half-assed RTS attempt and honestly that's something that no one really wants. RTS fans don't get anything out of shitty RTS gameplay, and fans looking for a good RPG aren't going to find it here. It's a good thing that the scenario is actually pretty good, and the graphics and production values are really high. If not for those, the game probably wouldn't be worth playing at all.

Oh well, I guess for 4800yen, a 15 hour FF fanservice game which kinda fills in the gaps of FFXII's worldview stuff is acceptable..... maybe. :p

duckroll

Damnit, made a stupid double post. The server's dying I swear... I guess I'll use this double post to say that Basch has some really cool sprite animations! :lol

:(

I wish SE put more effort into their DS games.

I know they're coming out with a lot, but when all you do is shit out shit, it ain't worth it.

duckroll

Chris Michael said:

I know they're coming out with a lot, but when all you do is shit out shit, it ain't worth it.

It's not quite shit. I'm pretty sure that the worst decision in FFXIIRW's development process was to hand it to Think and Feel Inc. If they had some other more capable developer it would probably be much more polished.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Chris Michael said:

Sell it ASAP.

Aeana

I just want to say that FF12RW is not a bad game. It has some weird design decisions, but I'm enjoying it. I've noticed all over GAF that everybody is convinced that it's a bad game, now, but I just don't see it that way and... not having played it, you probably shouldn't either.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aeana said:
I just want to say that FF12RW is not a bad game. It has some weird design decisions, but I'm enjoying it. I've noticed all over GAF that everybody is convinced that it's a bad game, now, but I just don't see it that way and... not having played it, you probably shouldn't either.
you see the problem here is that a game cant be decent or good. it's either great or shit, no middle ground.

duckroll said:
It's not quite shit. I'm pretty sure that the worst decision in FFXIIRW's development process was to hand it to Think and Feel Inc. If they had some other more capable developer it would probably be much more polished.

Chris Michael said:

Exactly.

jj984jj said:
Sell it ASAP.

Then gimme some do', cuz I'm po' fo sho.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Yeah, the game isn't bad... it's got some flaws, but it's far from the worst game I played. Then again, I've had to play some absolute stinkers before, so my view is skewed, compared to other people who usually stick to their brand names/developers/publishers/etc.

duckroll

Man, I'm probably the furthest into the game right now, and the art direction in the near-end parts of the game really rocks. The last mission on chapter 8 was REALLY challenging too. I finally managed to beat it and the scenes after that were totally worth it. Great cutscenes and great use of the crystal theme track. :D

Also, I think someone should count how many times the phrase "this is not a bad game" has been repeated in this thread. Seriously guys, I feel it's important to highlight the glaring flaws the game does have, but man this isn't Tales of the Tempest here or anything. :lol

Edit: Also, Jonny needs to go get his eyes checked. I dislike a lot of things about the gameplay but seriously, the font is fine. :p

Hmmm, I guess I might have jumped the gun too quickly, people seem to be enjoying it. :lol

It's still disappointing about the controls though. I hate when games are such a hassle to control and it seems short :/

duckroll said:
Man, I'm probably the furthest into the game right now, and the art direction in the near-end parts of the game really rocks. The last mission on chapter 8 was REALLY challenging too. I finally managed to beat it and the scenes after that were totally worth it. Great cutscenes and great use of the crystal theme track. :D

Also, I think someone should count how many times the phrase "this is not a bad game" has been repeated in this thread. Seriously guys, I feel it's important to highlight the glaring flaws the game does have, but man this isn't Tales of the Tempest here or anything. :lol

Edit: Also, Jonny needs to go get his eyes checked. I dislike a lot of things about the gameplay but seriously, the font is fine. :p

Then that's not bad at all for me considering I actually enjoyed Tales of the Tempest. :lol

Jonnyram

I'm near the end of the first chapter, and I have to say the 3D is really awesome... that area indoors in the first chapter really blew me away. I mean relatively speaking, of course.

vareon

Thanks for all the impressions. I'll get this game, then, though not on day one. If there's going to be a US release, of course. Which I believe will be announced next month *hopes*.

I'll busy myself with Pokemon and Etrian Odyssey until then :D

Cedille

Matsuno said:
FFXII RW was born like a good game, but where is the real team of FFXII? Are true the news that Product division 4 has been divides?

All development divisions officially disappeared on March 31th, 2005.

duckroll

Okay, I beat the game. It took me about maybe 16 hours, not a long game. I had about 90% complete on the missions, so if I did everything I guess the game would be about 20 hours or so. Didn't really feel like clearing all the optional quests at the end since I wanted to finish the story.

Final Verdict

FFXIIRW is a pretty good game overall. For a simple dumbed down RPGish RTS on a portable system it's pretty entertaining and the production values are really good. The game has a ton of control and balance issues and it would be pretty bad to expect a console level experience here. The game has a few challenging missions, but on a whole many of the missions are just really simple and easy.

The sprite work and music is excellent though, and really helps the experience. The story is well written and fun. There are ties to FFXII, but it's largely a stand alone story that takes place after the original game. There are good new characters and some great scenes. It's very similar to FFX-2 though, so not everyone might enjoy it. I sure did.

Overall I feel the game was well worth playing, but it just falls short of the high expectations. It lacks real depth even though there's strategy in parts of the game, and some of the interface flaws can get aggravating at times.

There're definitely many, many ways S-E could have made the game much better, and I think handing the game to Think and Feel was a serious misstep. But once you get pass the fact that it's not a real FF game, and it's going to be a short diversion with nice graphics and music, it's pretty enjoyable.

It helps to be a fan of FFXII and FF monsters too, since most of the appeal in the game comes from seeing what happens to the FFXII characters, and messing around with tons of FF creatures in your army. :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
Okay, I beat the game. It took me about maybe 16 hours, not a long game. I had about 90% complete on the missions, so if I did everything I guess the game would be about 20 hours or so. Didn't really feel like clearing all the optional quests at the end since I wanted to finish the story.

Final Verdict

FFXIIRW is a pretty good game overall. For a simple dumbed down RPGish RTS on a portable system it's pretty entertaining and the production values are really good. The game has a ton of control and balance issues and it would be pretty bad to expect a console level experience here. The game has a few challenging missions, but on a whole many of the missions are just really simple and easy.

The sprite work and music is excellent though, and really helps the experience. The story is well written and fun. There are ties to FFXII, but it's largely a stand alone story that takes place after the original game. There are good new characters and some great scenes. It's very similar to FFX-2 though, so not everyone might enjoy it. I sure did.

Overall I feel the game was well worth playing, but it just falls short of the high expectations. It lacks real depth even though there's strategy in parts of the game, and some of the interface flaws can get aggravating at times.

There're definitely many, many ways S-E could have made the game much better, and I think handing the game to Think and Feel was a serious misstep. But once you get pass the fact that it's not a real FF game, and it's going to be a short diversion with nice graphics and music, it's pretty enjoyable.

It helps to be a fan of FFXII and FF monsters too, since most of the appeal in the game comes from seeing what happens to the FFXII characters, and messing around with tons of FF creatures in your army. :D

So its good but no where near GOTY quality?

Acosta

After beating Lost Magic and reading this, I think Japanese devs need to iron their RTS development skills. They seem to have some pretty cool ideas for the genre, but they don´t get the basics right.

duckroll

Acosta said:
After beating Lost Magic and reading this, I think Japanese devs need to iron their RTS development skills, They seem to have some pretty cool ideas for the genre, but they don´t get the basics right.

Well I would think that, except I'm also playing gRiMgRiMoiRe at the moment, and it's a really well balanced and polished RTS! :D

Aeana

I'm on chapter 6, now, and the first mission, as well as three of the optional missions have given me a lot of trouble. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard, but one of the major flaws of the game is that it doesn't emphasize good strategy early on, so I'm left not knowing exactly what works and what doesn't through experience, and so I'm learning it now through lots of game overs. :( I'm still enjoying the game, though, and the story has gotten very interesting.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I'm in ch.3 currently doing side missinons.

Game rocks! Best DS game that's not Ouendan IMO, but I'm a huge FF-fanboy who loved the FFXII world/art/music/characters/monsters :)

Only complaint is what duck said about not being able to see your units or touch them when something in the environment is covering them.

jae

I have to agree with the others. After getting through the initial awkwardness and used to the controls it's really very fun and addicting. Dropped pretty much everything else I am playing to beat it now. Like Bebpo I really loved everything about XII, so that may skew it a bit.

ThomPayne

Just got this in, and as a person who can read a little japanese, I'm hoping my opinions can be of use once I actually start playing it within the next couple of days.

PantherLotus said:
All I want to know is if it is better or worse than Ogre Tactics.

First of all it's Tactics Ogre and second, it isn't a proper comparison. TO is an isometric SRPG.

The closer comparison (but still ludicrous) would be Ogre Battle.

And its nothing like that.

Top Bottom