• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

B.K.

Jr.'s out of it.

And Bayne. I wish he could get with a better team than the Wood Brothers.

It's starting to look bad. There's no way they run the whole race.

thefro

Hinchcliffe just made a soon-to-be legendary pass to barely edge out Sato at the IndyCar race in Brazil.

Just insane

Mastah

Fantastic stuff during these last laps. It's the thing I miss so, so much in F1, with introduction of DRS, real and hard racing :(

moojito

Quite a few cars that could have won just got taken out at Talladega.

Amazingly, none of them were Danica Patrick.

Oh wait, you said cars that could have won. Carry on!

Seriously though, good thing Hamlin got out before his car was totalled.

Tekniqs

I have to retract my statement about Marq not winning again this year...that Honda has a pretty nice advantage over the Yams this year...they're so dialed in. Even in the twisty bits, the Hondas were closing in on the yamahas.

Yam needs to step up their updates, starting with the seamless shift gearbox.

Marq was lucky Lorenzo pulled up at the end of the back straight instead of trying to turn in where he usually does as Marq would have surely Tboned him and they both would have went down.

Rain's here. It's over. Carl Edwards is going to win.
I believe in NASCAR's fancy AirNimbus 2000, or whatever their new jet dryer is called.

I also believe that Montoya can take it out in a massive fireball if he tries hard enough! So I guess I'm agreeing with you here...

It's raining again. This race is over. They really need to put up lights at Talladega.
Looking at the radar, the rain's done for the day. Depends on whether they want to restart in 45 minutes or whether that's too late.

Still a few hours until sunset. tbh, I think they'll run the full distance.

Seanspeed

Banned
That is a bit naughty but Lorenzo shouldn't have given him the chance to do it.
You cant ride around with the intent to stop people from ramming into you. This isn't car racing.

Lorenzo did exactly what he needed to, which was brake as late as humanly possible to make it impossible for Marquez to outbrake him. But Marquez went over the limit and braked way too late, ramming into Lorenzo. IN NO WAY is that acceptable in bike racing. Just because its happened before doesn't mean its acceptable stuff. Lorenzo has every reason to be upset. Marquez could have easily dropped the both of them to the ground right there, in which case Marquez would unanimously be considered an idiot.

And welcome to Marc Marquez guys. He's done this all throughout his career, riding overly aggressive and pissing off other riders. I'm sure there's some people who will like him for it, but it wont be so entertaining when he puts himself or somebody else in a hospital. If he wasn't as talented as he was, his behavior would never be accepted.

JJ Yeley, Kurt Busch, Danica, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Clint Bowyer, Bobby Labonte all involved. Stenhouse's fault.

David Stremme somehow survived without getting wrecked. So did Junior and Michael Waltrip.

Arcticfox

Landing on top of another car was probably the best thing that could have happened for Kurt Busch or he would have been rolling for awhile.

Holy shit! Front Row Racing 1-2!!!
Step aside, Hendrick and Penske. There's a new sheriff in town.
lvEyC.gif

TylerD

Congrats to the little guys getting a moment in the sun. Good stuff.

Maybe ill go to the store and buy some FarmRich mozzarella bites.

Chris R

Just saw the finish now, nice to see that there wasn't a wreck in the GWC, and that the usually suspects didn't win yet again.

stewy

Brad Keselowski is calling bullshit on that win. Says the 34 started on the outside of the entire pack on that last restart. Martin Truex backed it up, too. But it seems like there was some general confusion. Ragan thought he was starting 9th until NASCAR told him he was 10th. Keselowski and Truex both thought the 2 car should have been running 10th. NASCAR has come out now and said that the 2 was actually out of position on that restart.

Made for some fun times on twitter, at the very least. Either way I love that Front Row managed a 1-2 finish after being surrounded by the big teams at the front of the pack. I just wish Josh Wise had been up there somehow as well.

Loved that last-corner pass by Hinch. Great to see some good, hard racing in IndyCar.

Upcoming special on UK TV station ITV4 (8th of May at 21:00) called 'The Unridables' - a retrospective on the two stroke 500cc GP bikes from the mid 80's onwards (based on the YT footage). Hopefully the NSR500 gets a special mention, specifically the 1989 version which Eddie Lawson won the world title on as it's described by Matt Oxley in Mick Doohan's autobiography as being the 'nastiest, scariest race bike ever built - 310 kph and it didn't steer or stop'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYIS7fL3Wc

I recorded this and had a quick skim through:

untitled-1vox9f.gif

LOL

Live UK coverage of the MotoGP World Championship will switch to BT Sport from the start of next season.

An exclusive five-year deal for BT's soon-to-launch sports channels was confirmed during a presentation in London on Thursday morning.

"We're proud that MotoGP will be part of such a huge and exciting project as BT Sport," said Manel Arroyo, managing director of MotoGP's commercial rights holder Dorna Sports.

"I'm sure that BT Sport will provide the in-depth coverage that MotoGP deserves and in turn MotoGP will provide the sporting drama and excitement to help launch BT Sport as a major player in the TV market."

While the exclusive nature of the deal spells the end of the BBC (free to air) and British Eurosport (subscription) live coverage, it was soothed by the surprise news that all three BT Sport channels - BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN - will be available free of charge to BT Broadband customers.

"UK Sports fans have had a rough deal for too long," said BT chief executive Ian Livingston. "Many have been priced out of the market but we will change this by giving away BT Sport for free with our broadband. Sports fans are the winners today."

BT Sport will be available via BT's own TV service, on Sky's digital satellite platform and online, including through a mobile App.

The cheapest Broadband deal currently advertised by BT is £10 per month, rising to £16 for unlimited data usage. Non-BT Broadband customers will need to pay £15 a month for the BT Sport channels, which compares with £85 for a season of live video coverage on the official MotoGP website.

'MotoGP fans won't miss a minute of the action as race weekends will be covered in full starting from the free practices on the Friday and including full coverage of Moto2 and Moto3 as well as the elite category MotoGP,' read a BT Sport statement.

'Coverage will be hosted on-site with additional studio coverage from BT Sport's state of the art facilities at the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London.

BBC:

"We believe that we have brought the sport to a new, wider audience,"

"We would like to thank our production teams for the contribution they have made in raising the profile of the sport in the UK."

All parties involved are pure scum.

Dead Man

BBC:

"UK Sports fans have had a rough deal for too long," said BT chief executive Ian Livingston. "Many have been priced out of the market but we will change this by giving away BT Sport for free with our broadband. Sports fans are the winners today."

How the fuck can he say that with a straight face? Motherfuckers. I know it is spiteful, but I hope every series that embraces this exclusive style of coverage fails miserably. The good drivers/riders/teams, will always find a series that is worth their time.

B.K.

Gibbs had a pretty big victory yesterday at the appeals board.

Kenseth's points loss was reduced from 50 to 12.

Gibbs's owner points penalty was reduced from 50 to 12 and he's allowed to get owner's points now.

Kenseth's win will count for the bonus points at the beginning of the Chase and will count for the wildcard, if needed.

Crew chief suspension reduced from six races to one.

Toyota fined seven manufacturer's points.

I still think suspending the crew chief is going too far for one piece on the engine being too light. Especially since it didn't give them any kind of advantage and Gibbs's people never even laid a finger on the engine until they were getting ready to put it in the car. They should have fined Toyota more than they did. It was their fault.

Shaneus

How the fuck can he say that with a straight face? Motherfuckers. I know it is spiteful, but I hope every series that embraces this exclusive style of coverage fails miserably. The good drivers/riders/teams, will always find a series that is worth their time.
F1 :/

Burai

shitonmychest57
BBC:

A new wider audience than every single person with a TV? It's the same bullshit Bernie cited when he took F1 to Sky.

Just say "We were offered a massive sack of cash" and be done with it.

I'm not sure MotoGP has the following to justify the move to pay TV. Lest we forget how WRC was passed around from high bidding TV company to TV company, shedding viewers each time, failing to justify the outlay and eventually disappearing from TV screens completely because they couldn't give the rights away.

caramac

Our only hope for MotoGP is that Eurosport get an eleventh hour stay of execution similar to what happened a few years ago.

Even then there won't be any chance of seeing the MotoGP race live.

Shaneus

Yeah, even F1. It's been going to shit for years, coasting on the built up legacy of the great years. Something else would come along.
I remember when it happened a year or two (or whatever) ago, when I think a bunch of teams were considering not signing something (the Concorde Agreement?) and potentially starting their own series. I remember kind of hoping that would happen, almost completely do now... the Sky thing is by far the worst thing to happen to the sport in the last 20 years.

Take the sport away from the people. Brilliant idea.

Top Bottom