• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF 2010 Pro Starcraft Thread

neogafstarcraft.jpg

Since our last pro Starcraft thread was back from November and keeps getting bumped totally out of context for current matches, I volunteered to set up a new thread we could bump all year for current professional and semiprofessional Starcraft.

Now wait, you're saying, what's this-professional Starcraft? Yes, that's right, in South Korea Starcraft is very much a full blown sport in every imaginative way:

- big salaries for the best players,
- high drama between both professional teams and players
- televised coverage of games with color commentary on two television networks
- An official , overbearing and player-unfriendly regulating body
- crowded venues to watch important games, empty arenas when the weaker/less popular teams play
- grueling practice schedules
- amateur, major and minor league play
and most importantly
- Lots of ill tempered and bad mannered fans on the Internet.

See? Everything you'd expect in a sport!

Would you like to know more?

All these acronyms and terms for this stuff are confusing-I'm not much of an RTS fan and I'm bewildered by everything that is going on!

Learning the rules only comes with time and exposure to watching the game. Thankfully, there is a very vibrant set of English-speaking commentators who cover the matches and take the time to explain the things that are going on. I'm going to link two in particular, since they are covering the current set of Starleagues (the individual, not team tournaments):

http://www.youtube.com/user/RanshinDA (NATE MSL, you can start with the round of 32 and go from there)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nukethestars (EVER OSL, again start back and watch some games with good English commentary)

The recent games are good because you get to watch the current players play with the current strategies on the current maps. You can watch older leagues and matches but it's not 100% representative of the current state of the game due to metagame shifts (when new innovations and new maps significantly change the way the game plays) and older players not playing as much as the new stars.

Now, while you are watching, you're going to want to look up the following:

*) Glossary like lookups-things like what units do, what buildings do, what terms mean, what is the difference between two hatch and three hatch, what is a timing push,etc. For this, I would recommend the Liquipedia, a wiki set up by Team Liquid contributors (TL is the biggest non-Korean, aka "foreign" SC site) . You can generally search and find the answers to all sorts of questions you'd have, then unpause the youtube.

*) What kind of record a player has. For this, use the Team Liquid Progamer Database. You can search, and note that players who have won leagues or have high win percentages, high ELO (a comparative scale used to rank players) or KeSPA ranking are the current powerhouses.

The TLPD has all sorts of other great info as well.

Would you like to know more?

OK, this is really pretty neat. I never dreamed I could expand my nerdiness this far. I like having the English commentaries, but I really , really want to watch the games live so that I can root for my player/team as it happens. How can I do that?

Good news is that the marvel of the internet allows us to get streaming feeds of live televised matches worldwide and not just Korea. The bad news? If you're in the US, usually the matches are anywhere from 11PM EST to 4:30 AM EST. But on the weekend I like to stay up anyway.

Here is the current calendar of games for January. It has times in KST (Korea), EST, PST, and GMT. When one of these games is airing, in the upper right hand corner of TeamLiquid's site there will be links to the streams and you can join there. You can also go into the forums for the Live Report where they keep a summary of the match in progress and they have stream links there as well.

Note that the streams are in Korean, but after a while you won't mind at all. The commentators really get into the game and it's pretty easy to follow once you've watched for a few months. If you have any questions of course, that's what this thread is for.

I will bump this thread when interesting matches come up when I am around watching games and the most recent bump will have links to streams and information. Others, feel free to contribute as well.

Here are two more links for you, especially if you're "new" to the game:

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=Day[9] - This is a former pro-am US player who now does, in his spare time, match analysis and discussion of both current and past games. He has an engaging style and you'll probably get a lot of his commentary, whether you are new or veteran to the game.

http://www.gomtv.net/videos/

- The GOM TV series has English commentary. I would suggest the Star Invitationals, which while somewhat old, feature a lot of still star players and some great matches (Stork vs. Flash, Bisu vs. Flash, etc.)

- Information for live English commentary streams for the OSL finals and MSL semifinal matches this weekend:

http://www.sc2gg.com/index.php?do=archives&t=10652

- Saturday and Sunday feature some commentary from some well-known English commentators covering some great series featuring non-Koreans. You can get the links when the games go live at teamliquid. Information is on the TL calendar.

This match tonight looks like it will be fun:

Shinhan Bank Proleague 09-10 Round 2 Week 7 (OGN)

▶ Samsung KHAN vs Hwaseung OZ
Game 1: firebathero vs ggaemo on New Tornado
Game 2: JangBi vs HiyA on Neo Moon Glaive
Game 3: oDin vs Killer on New Heartbreak Ridge
Game 4: Stork vs PerfectMan on Fighting Spirit
Closer on Outsider SE

Event Time: 13:00 KST
05:00 CET
Fri 23:00 EST
Fri 20:00 PST

It's only at 11:00PM EST, which is nice for us east coasters, though I plan on staying up for the MSL semis later that night between Kal and Jaedong (two VERY good players).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I will keep tabs on this thread, i have never played starcraft and until about a year ago never watched an online game, but since being introduced to competitive cs/tf2 and l4d ive a grown appreciation for the skill. I havent watched much pro starcraft but i have some, i find the enthusiasm of the commentators is sort of contagious.

Just dont ask me to tell you what the hell is going on (im still learning)

Syril said:
Do they ever do team battles of this over there?

There is the Shinhan Bank Proleague, which offers about 8-10 or so matches per week in a format that sets one team against another in a best of five. They are all televised and while not as huge as the Starleagues in terms of per-match interest, are a lot of fun to watch.

There used to be 2v2 in this league but it was removed a couple of years ago.

Tonight has a game between Samsung Khan and Hwaseung Oz-I mentioned it in post #2.

The PL game mentioned above is starting:

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=Roffles

For the Korean flash relay stream.

Game 1 was neat-FBH was using an aggressive Flash-style MnM control that, while lacking the precision and near preternatural game sense of Flash, was extremely effective at delaying ggameo's third base and allowed a nice big timing window for the 3 tank/vessel hanbang attack (which initially failed due to FBH's small MnM complement, but he reinforced with an additional group and two tanks and finished the natural expansion off).

ah. fuck awesome

good links. I never know where to look for this stuff

edit: didn't know there was a previous thread even. must have disappeared fairly quickly from the front page on each bump heh

MSL Semis spoiler:

Jaedong was just too much for Kal, his ZvP is simply too strong-his game sense+crisp tech switches just had Kal on his back foot almost every moment of the three games. JD vs. Flash is going to be interesting, as the map pool in the MSL is decidedly T > Z, and both players are just about playing at their peak.

Textbook application of the TvP Flash build by the creator of it himself.

Movie's window closed when Flash hit 3-2 upgrades-after that point attacking the Terran ball was extremely hard given the turrets/vessels/depots/ridges which make siege tanks extra ridiculous. Movie needed to be more aggressive earlier and attack the army with mass stasis instead of trying recalls, which Flash was well positioned to defend with minimal losses even without the mines, given the map.

Movie's game plan was good, but it looks to me that he wasn't able to practice with a top-caliber player like Flash that would crisply respond to his mass expanding with fast upgrades and enough map control to keep pumping out units even in the face of being down a base or two (which Terran can succeed with because of the huge damage tanks do).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Intense start to the second match, awesome.

Good play and control by both until the end.
Also the awesome commentary continues.

That was a really fun match. Movie sort of had to go in for the kill there, he had no arbiter tech, was on equal bases with Terran (bad if you are P), and if Flash got set up at that bridge it would have been an effective contain to three bases and Movie would have been doomed.

That was a fun tech build though. Movie's reaver play is what got him this far against Zerg, so I'm not surprised to see him try it each game (on the 1st set he couldn't because the proxy robo got scouted).

Carrier switch against a Terran who's going to have 3-2 up by the time you get critical mass? Dunno if this is a good tech switch for Movie.

Well it would have been a bad idea if, you know, Flash had scanned it. Mistake.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Carriers and flash hasn't scouted them.

I don't know what i just said but i kinda understand it! :lol

WOW flash lost. First time i have seen that in my random viewings of these tournaments. I still have the need to sing queen - flash though.

I'm not sure if it was so much the carriers as it was Flash's inability to put pressure the unchecked P expansion. Movie wouldn't have been able to tech switch that hard without that huge economy.

Zzoram

evlcookie said:
What's with the cute yet creepy girls standing right behind them? Never seen them before.

They are supposed to make sure they aren't cheating I believe.

GO FLASH!!! BOO YAA!!! Now he just needs to beat Jaedong and be the first guy to win OSL/MSL in the same season in years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
^ Oh awesome.

Grats to flash. Love the emotion he showed and the team mates throwing him in the air, This win clearly means a lot to him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Fragamemnon said:
Flash's been through a whole lot to win another title. Really, really happy for him.

Well he better be ready for Jaedong next weekend. Shit's gonna be epic.
And hopefully not another smackdown by Flash...

Johann

That's a final anyone could call. Nevertheless, I think Movie did very well. You could see him get much more calm and confident in the last half of the series. I've a feeling he's going to go places in Starleagues after an experience in a BoX match. Plus, he's on a first-name basis with Much. That guy is one hell of a Protoss sage.

Zzoram said:
They are supposed to make sure they aren't cheating I believe.

GO FLASH!!! BOO YAA!!! Now he just needs to beat Jaedong and be the first guy to win OSL/MSL in the same season in years.

I heard it is because the network loses some ratings before and after the matches. Viewers need... someone to stare at during downtime.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
End / Ceremony spoilers below -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqIx1RJJmw#t=10m00s
When it hits 10:34. Good stuff.

Really happy about the level of play and determination from both players.
Even saw emotions from Flash as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFqXqHrS1g#t=12m50s

The $36,000 and $18,000 for 1st and 2nd sure is a nice bonus too.

You can watch the Jaedong vs Kal and Fkash vs Movie games with excellent english commentary on the Violetak channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/violetak#p/u

I'll be scoping around for an English commentary of the E-Stro vs. WeMade Fox match in the proleague that just finished-all very, very entertaining games and one of the best proleague matches I've seen in some time.

Vexidus

I would LOVE to watch this stuff with English commentary! I adore the Starcraft 2 Battle Reports and I honestly can't get into these matches very much without commentary that I can understand. Yes I can see what's happening and what tech evolutions are inevitable but the commentary makes it so much more exciting and engrossing!

Edit: Just saw the Violetak stuff posted above. Amazing!! Keep the English coming, this stuff is so damn entertaining.

Top Bottom