• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PAL PLAYSTATION®3 Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

nelsonroyale said:
GT HD will be mine on launch day, but damn my 512k 'British Telecom spontaneously combust' wifi

Wow, people still have 512k broadband? I thought they'd unilaterally upgraded everyone to 2Mbps last year?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Gaffers in Helsinki metropolitan area, lot's of PS3s still up for grabs at launch - here's a tip:

I visited today Stockmann in Espoo. They have started the preorder campaign earlier this week. They are only getting 20 units for launch, but currently didn't have any preorders. So lots of PS3s still available.

manzo

Chittagong said:
Gaffers in Helsinki metropolitan area, lot's of PS3s still up for grabs at launch - here's a tip:

I visited today Stockmann in Espoo. They have started the preorder campaign earlier this week. They are only getting 20 units for launch, but currently didn't have any preorders. So lots of PS3s still available.

After seeing the price they're charging here (679.90€ at Verkkokauppa and 689.90€ at Tilt), I decided to get an US console.

Even after paying 70$ for shipping, getting stung 22% VAT and 3% customs tax, it's still cheaper to get an US console. Plus you get an EE/GS machine on top of it. Why get a PAL machine? Just because of Blu-Ray?

Midas

manzo said:
After seeing the price they're charging here (679.90€ at Verkkokauppa and 689.90€ at Tilt), I decided to get an US console.

Even after paying 70$ for shipping, getting stung 22% VAT and 3% customs tax, it's still cheaper to get an US console. Plus you get an EE/GS machine on top of it. Why get a PAL machine? Just because of Blu-Ray?

Hehe, I wonder many units they'll actually manage to sell at launch.

And is Verkkokauppa some big well known store? I see that name everyday at work and always wonder if it means something special. :D

manzo

Midas said:
Hehe, I wonder many units they'll actually manage to sell at launch.

And is Verkkokauppa some big well known store? I see that name everyday at work and always wonder if it means something special. :D

Finland... is somewhat a hit or miss with the PS3. The price itself could scare away lots of people... but hey, it's Finland. Consoles = Playstation. For Finns, there are no substitutes. I guess you could say that for the rest of Scandinavia too. Hell, for the rest of EUROPE.

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/

Verkkokauppa is a pretty big hardware/software store in the southern Finland.

Chittagong

Gold Member
manzo said:
Finland... is somewhat a hit or miss with the PS3. The price itself could scare away lots of people... but hey, it's Finland. Consoles = Playstation. For Finns, there are no substitutes. I guess you could say that for the rest of Scandinavia too. Hell, for the rest of EUROPE.

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/

Verkkokauppa is a pretty big hardware/software store in the southern Finland.

Verkkokauppa.com actually let's you see the ordered quantities and free quantities in stock (although they tell the quantity only up to 25.

Current PS3 Pre-Order pack status:

- Stock: "More than 25 units" (Warehouse), "16 units" (Helsinki), "10 units (Pirkkala) = total "41 units"
- Preordered: "11 units"

So they have 30 free units at minimum, likely to have more like 150-200 free units since usually their allocations are BIG. And only 11 units preordered. And Finland is a Sonyland like pointed out above. Wow.

Midas

How does the online functionality in games work? I think I read somewhere that if you buy a US copy of lets say Motorstorm, you can only play against people that has the US version? Is this true? Is it the same case with all games? I really don't want to buy my PS3 games here in Sweden. If I need to get a PAL version to play with my friends, where is the best place to buy UK editions? Play? Game? Any suggestions?

manzo

Midas said:
How does the online functionality in games work? I think I read somewhere that if you buy a US copy of lets say Motorstorm, you can only play against people that has the US version? Is this true? Is it the same case with all games? I really don't want to buy my PS3 games here in Sweden. If I need to get a PAL version to play with my friends, where is the best place to buy UK editions? Play? Game? Any suggestions?

If I remember correctly (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong), you play on US servers if you have an US system.

Not a problem for me, since most of my friends who actually have consoles, already have NTSC PS3's.

We just have to wait and see how the NTSC - PAL region system works, it would be nice if you could buy a PAL game and play on the PAL servers, even if you have an NTSC system.

manzo said:

I thought BC wasn't region free, am I wrong?

manzo

Aizu_Itsuko said:
I thought BC wasn't region free, am I wrong?

BC isn't region free. But PAL PS3 BC = no idea how good it will be. You could end up with as much BC with a PAL console as you would with an NTSC PS3, which doesn't even load your games. ;)

If you worry about BC, you should just wait for the PAL PS3 BC listing. If BC is good, buy a PAL console. If bad and most of your games won't work, buy an NTSC console.

[RANT] Thank god I went NTSC when I learned about 17% faster gameplay and no black borders in 1994. No PAL, NO PROBLEMS. :) [/RANT]

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to hook a PS2 Dualshock 2 to a PS3? The new trigger buttons are a real bitch to deal with on PS2 games that require quick taps of them, or holding them for a long duration.

Wollan

About three weeks from this moment I will prepare myself for standing in line for midnight launch. Australia ftw.

Midas

Don't know if this has been posted. More excuses...

Yet again, a seemingly innocent press release from Sony – detailing the specification of the PAL territory PlayStation 3 – has been met with the reception you’d expect if the sky started falling in. That, as we all know, is because it revealed that PAL (why is Sony still calling them PAL, since HDMI renders the whole concept of PAL, NTSC and Secam redundant?) PS3s will have had the Emotion Engine chips surgically removed from their motherboards, so backwards compatibility with PS2 games will be achieved via software emulation. Sony’s decision to point consumers towards a website (http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc) detailing which PS2 games will be playable on the PS3, but which won’t go live until March 23 also hardly made PlayStation enthusiasts feel any less unloved. But we have good news: we managed to snatch a quick interview with head of worldwide studios Phil Harrison, in between putting the finishing touches to his Game Developers’ Conference keynote, and what he said firmly puts the contentious issue of backwards compatibility into storm-in-a-teacup territory.

Harrison would not be drawn on specific PS2 titles which will be playable on PS3 on March 23, but it seems the only problem we will have is deciding which ones to play: “The situation is changing every day, but on March 23, we expect the list to include over 1,000 PS2 titles.” That enough for you? Even when you’ve played your way through MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3, Call of Duty 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Formula One Championship Edition and so on?

Harrison also dropped another bombshell which could lead to a drop in the price of the PS3 sooner than expected – although that’s not good news for those who have placed pre-orders, it’s good news for the prospects of the PS3 in general. Alex Kwiatkowski, an analyst at Datamonitor, responded to the release of the PS3’s PAL hardware specs with what initially seemed a specious argument: “The move is significant, as it will have a positive impact on the PS3’s long-term cost profile. By launching the PS3 in Europe with the new chassis, Sony has at a stroke removed one of the barriers to future price reductions.” Yes, we all scoffed, but Sony has manufactured over 100 million Emotion Engines, so economies of scale dictate it’s a chip that couldn’t possibly cost more than a few pence to manufacture. Not so, reveals Harrison: “The Emotion Engine that has previously gone into PS3s on sale elsewhere in the world is a custom component that we have now removed from the motherboard of PAL PS3s.” So it will make an impact on the PS3’s cost of manufacture, after all. Not that PS3 price-cuts are expected by any rational people at any foreseeable time in the future, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Harrison adds: “It’s very easy to over-react. We’re working to introduce a resource on the Web to detail which titles will have backwards compatibility. And as we make firmware upgrades, we will be able to add to that list.” Having upgraded the firmware of our PS3 several times, we can confirm that it is a very easy process – and one which will become something that happens automatically when you are hooked up to the PlayStation Network.

There are no issues regarding backwards compatibility of PlayStation titles, and Harrison points out that: “There will still be thousands of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles playable on the PS3 at launch.” And who can honestly say that they ever played a PlayStation game on their PS2s? I personally, have played one on mine: the awesome Vib-Ribbon. And surely the vast majority of PS3 purchasers already own PS2s? Not that Sony themselves would ever be so gauche as to point that out.

You might ask why Harrison didn’t surface earlier with the information that there will still be over 1,000 PS2 titles playable on the PS3 at launch, and that the chip removed from PAL PS3s was a pricey custom effort, but give the man a break – he’s about to deliver the keynote at GDC (which takes place between 5 and 9 March – we’ll be reporting on it assiduously), and is running a vast international network of studios developing the games will show the world what the PS3 is all about. Some of which, Sony hints, will be shown at GDC for the first time. Keep your eye on Three Speech for all the details.

Here is the bulk of our recent chat with Phil Harrison:

Q: What is Sony’s thinking behind leaving the Emotion Engine off the motherboards of PAL PS3s?

Phil Harrison: “Our thinking involves being able to bring the latest hardware specification of the PS3 to Europe, although that does mean an initial slight reduction in the number of PS2 components. But it’s important to put that into context: there will still be thousands of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles playable on the PS3 at launch. It’s very easy to over-react. We’re working to introduce a resource on the Web to detail which titles will have backwards compatibility. And as we make firmware upgrades, we will be able to add to that list.”

Q: Can you give us a ballpark figure for the number of PS2 titles which will be playable at launch on the PS3?

PH: “The situation is changing every day, but on March 23, we expect the list to include over 1,000 PS2 titles.”

Q: And presumably, you will be concentrating on the big titles?

PH: “We can’t give any information about specific titles but, clearly, that would be our policy.”

Q: It has been suggested that reducing the components on the PS3’s motherboard would pave the way for a reduction in its price to come about more quickly. Is that a fair analysis?

PH: “Price reductions are something that we wouldn’t comment on specifically. But you know the business model very well – we strive to get the cost of manufacturing down as soon as possible, and as soon as we can pass cost savings onto the consumers, we will.”

Q: Just how important is backwards-compatibility?

PH: “I think the reasons why people buy PS3s are the new games that it offers, and the HD content experiences provided by games and movies, the opportunity to access the PlayStation Network, and titles like MotorStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man – leading-edge examples of what next-generation games are all about.”

Q: The flaw in the argument that removing the Emotion Engine from PAL PS3s is that you’ve manufactured over 100 million Emotion Engines. So, surely the Emotion Engtine can’t possibly cost you more than a few pence to manufacture?

PH: “If only that was the case.”

Q: Are you shifting capacity in your wafer fabs from making PS2 components to PS3 ones, then?

PH: “It’s not as simple as that – we’re obviously continuing to make PS2s in huge volumes, so there’s no reduction in that. But the Emotion Engine that has previously gone into PS3s on sale elsewhere in the world is a custom component that we have now removed from the motherboard of PAL PS3s.”

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=301

Surfheart

Midas said:
Don't know if this has been posted. More excuses...

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=301

1000 titles of 8000 odd that's 1/8th or 12.5%.
Thats a goddamn long way off 98% that the PS3 models in the US and Japan enjoy currently.

No Sony, thats not enough unless it's targeted emulation.

I can't understand what they hope to offer with launch.. an expensive machine, a lineup of games consisting of few exclusives none of which would be considered AAA. The rest of the lineup consisting of games already out on the 360 and which in nearly every single case are superior on the 360. Poor online, controllers that drop out every hour, no rumble and finally the added kick in the nuts of gimped BC. Why do I want to get one at launch again?

*sigh*

It makes me angry reading the bullshit lines about how BC is no longer important, and that we should forget about PS2 stuff.. I find that insulting coming from Harrison after all his comments on the importance of BC in the past.

They treat us like idiots and children with their bullshit spin.

Wollan

Surfheart said:
I can't understand what they hope to offer with launch.. an expensive machine, a lineup of games consisting of few exclusives none of which would be considered AAA. The rest of the lineup consisting of games already out on the 360 and which in nearly every single case are superior on the 360. Poor online, controllers that drop out every hour, no rumble and finally the added kick in the nuts of gimped BC. Why do I want to get one at launch again?

You used all your energy on this didn't you?

Surfheart

Wollan said:
You used all your energy on this didn't you?

Shot my load in an orgy of built up frustration. :)
Am I wrong though?

I still have one pre-ordered at EB, I guess motorstorm is my incentive to get a system, it just doesn't seem enough some how.

Wollan

Surfheart said:
Am I wrong though?

In several respects. AAA games are present. Online is okay (EU release with the 1.6 update will enhance it further). Also, the one 'X360 port' that really matter is enhanced. Also, the controller dropout is extremely overrated for the majority of people.

Of course, I have no clue how 'targeted' the BC is.

Peace.

Surfheart

Wollan said:
In several respects. AAA games are present. Online is okay (EU release with the 1.6 update will enhance it further). Also, the one 'X360 port' that really matter is enhanced. Also, the controller dropout is extremely overrated for the majority of people.

Of course, I have no clue how 'targeted' the BC is.

Peace.

Which game is that?

Good to hear the controller dropout has been exaggerated.

Wollan

Oblivion. It has twice as fast loading. More stable framerate. Improved shaders (Improved shaders will come to the X360 version in a patch though).

Mmmkay

Surfheart said:
Thanks for that, not so bad then if you consider Harrison was talking about PAL titles, which I assume he was.
Considering no PS3 is region free for PS2 or PS1 titles, I'd slap him silly if he was adding in non PAL games to that total. He also implies that they were selective in what got approved, which is good news since there are over 1000 garbage titles in Europe. I still expect there to be some important titles to be incompatible but that being caused by the fickle nature of emulation. That and we might not see a few of the better niche titles on the list.

Surfheart

Wollan said:
Oblivion. It has twice as fast loading. More stable framerate. Improved shaders (Improved shaders will come to the X360 version in a patch though).

I forgot about that one. PS3 launch lineup would have to be the best ever? I can't remember a launch with so many amazing games.

Unfortunately for me, I've already played most of them on the 360 so that pretty much only leaves Motorstorm, Resistance and F1 (maybe Vf5 considering its not on the 360 till August)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Surfheart said:
Unfortunately for me, I've already played most of them on the 360 so that pretty much only leaves Motorstorm, Resistance and F1 (maybe Vf5 considering its not on the 360 till August)
only? thats 4 great games in one day. Launches are lucky to get more than 1 great title.

Mmmkay

In case anyone is wondering how ThreeSpeech got such an exclusive interview (I'm sure nobody cares ^_^), the article is verbatim from UK newspaper The Guardian. I had to double take for a second as I sat down to read the paper just now.

Lince

Banned
we strive to get the cost of manufacturing down as soon as possible, and as soon as we can pass cost savings onto the consumers, we will

bullshit, PAL PS3 is already much, much more expensive than the NTSC models (even if you take taxes ans shipping into account, don't even try, it's way more expensive), any cost-saving measure should be reflected on retail price immediately, specially those related to hardware features.

It’s very easy to over-react

It's not that easy to screw PAL consumer without them noticing anymore, now I feel even better about having cancelled my pre-order. I'll miss VF5 that's for sure but I'll stick to VF4Evo until they can be honest with PAL users.

Danj said:
Wow, people still have 512k broadband? I thought they'd unilaterally upgraded everyone to 2Mbps last year?

feck its that rubbish BT, Im back home right now in the North of Scotland, and they havent upgraded the wires...we have the worst deal imaginable though...a friend 1 mile down the road has at least twice the speed, for around half the price because they are closer to the exchange, and they are also on BT. let me recap, we play more from the same company for a slower speed...BT are shit

peace

WTF, some bird in my office says she's getting a PS3 because "it looks sexy", women get paid too much money these days, she'll only play singstar on it!

Might try and get in her pants, then I can play a PS3 for free!

travisbickle said:
WTF, some bird in my office says she's getting a PS3 because "it looks sexy", women get paid too much money these days, she'll only play singstar on it!

Might try and get in her pants, then I can play a PS3 for free!

Singstar is best played with lots of beer.

Zaptruder

Banned
Apart from enhanced BC.... the other thing that would make EE-less BC a pro... no region coding!

If emulation can bypass region coding... wouldn't that be just damn awesome?

You know it would be baby.

I've just had my first hands on with a PS3 in an electronics store in Northwest Spain. I don't know whether it was a Sony demo kiosk or a demo set by the store itself but i'd say it was the latter as it was pretty badly set up. I don't think it was an Euro unit but I can't tell for sure.

The game was NFS Carbon, which was an awful choice IMO. It looked really bland, like the PS2+ version (and maybe not even with the +... I even started thinking it could be the PS2 version being played on the PS3 but sadly I don't think so). I don't even think it was connected through component/hdmi (maybe that would explain it) and anyway I don't think a crappy EA game is the best title to showcase the system. The controller was light, unsurprisingly, as I've read that everywhere.

Overall, bad game choice. So bad nobody seemed to pay attention to the system and I didn't even have to wait and stand some brat playing to try it.

glaurung

The local stores around here are taking in pre-orders now and the price of the console is approximately $730 or £423 so it makes sense.

One of the stores that I frequent has even set up a huge shelf with the PS3 labels on it. Sadly, it is filled with crap PC games and just some mock PS3 game boxes, which actually look pretty nice.

I am considering placing a pre-order, but I think I will decide after GDC. Should some information that's been popping up in the last 24 hours turn out to be true, I'm seriously considering buying this thing straight away.

Wollan

Keep tissues ready at GDC keynote. I have a feeling that the PS Home function will be running smooth as silk.

manzo

Zaptruder said:
Apart from enhanced BC.... the other thing that would make EE-less BC a pro... no region coding!

If emulation can bypass region coding... wouldn't that be just damn awesome?

You know it would be baby.

Not going to happen. Regional copyrights and publishing stuff. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2TOTtd.jpg

Oh hell yes.

dalyr95

I don't know if any other GAFers got this, but I've been asked to RSVP to a ThreeSpeech event featuring Phil Harrison on the 13th March. Hopefully I'll be going, anyone else get an invite?

Wollan

I think it's open for people to sign up to (with a few selected guests like yourself I guess). I'm in Australia though so no go. Sounds great though.

dalyr95

Great thread BTW Wollan, can't wait for it to kick off on the 23rd. There's a Q&A with Harrison, if anyone has some good questions to ask I'm more than willing to field them, so shoot away

Surfheart said:
I forgot about that one. PS3 launch lineup would have to be the best ever? I can't remember a launch with so many amazing games.

Don't forget Tekken: DR via PSN.

Wollan

To correspond with the release of the console in PAL territories there will be a new patch released for Resistance. The last patch was released on December 21st so there's a good amount of work that has gone into this one.

Patch to correspond with European/Australia launch
-Team Conversion gametype added
-Assault gametype added
-Spectators can join custom games
-More efficient matchmaking
-Choice of different Radar type
-Fixes all known bugs

Also, the first map pack (which you have to pay money for) will become available in May as well as wordwide/international play on dedicated servers that will be activated around the globe.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769623p1.html

Samuray

Samuray said:
So....will Europe or specifically Germany get machines that censor games? (see: Japanese consoles)

I find it curious that no one really seems to care about this....but oh well, maybe just nobody knows yet.

On another note, is it true that there's no release date for Lemmings yet? And flOw will hit in April instead of March...? Gna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom