• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC GAF NFL Head Coach Season I Thread: Jump Passing.. dead?(sign up inside!)

It's that time... again! The time after madden has worn out its welcome, but before NCAA comes along with its yearly disappointment (after being hyped all summer!). Anyways, this time we actually have a game in-between, NFL Head Coach! Of course we are going to run a league daddy official league, which i will again fit the bill for. If you are not familiar with league daddy, or if you are interested in joining the league, please observe the following:

1. www.leaguedaddy.com is a custom league site that is for hardcore players. it allows us to keep detailed stats of our online "seasons". the downside is that we must enter our stats after each game. if you aren't cool with entering detailed stats (takes 5-15 mins after each game), see yourself out of this thread now!

2. hopefully we can get a pretty big league since everyone has a PC. i would love to have a full league, so if you are at all interested in this game please buy it!

3. keep in mind this is a thinking mans game. this isn't madden where you can rely on your awesome reflexes and jukes to get wins. this may lead to some possible frustation because the game is technically not always in YOUR hands! You call the plays, but who knows if your guys execute! however, that is what is exciting about the game as well.

Anyhow, if you are interested please post here now and post the top 3 teams you would like. Keep in mind some teams are automatically taken :( if it's a huge issue, talk to the person who has the team, perhaps you can work something out. but a GAF sports vet gets the benefit of the doubt in every situation.

And remember: THIS IS FOR A PC LEAGUE! not xbox, xbox 360, ps2 or anything else.

----------

Lineup!

1. FMT - 49ers
2. DMczaf - Buccaneers
3. CK - giants
4. MrBob - Bears
5. Miguel - Texans
6. AZ Greg - Packers
7. archaix - steelers
8. xia - cardinals
9. sportzhead - redskins
10. bluemax - chargers
11. matlock - browns*
12. coldblooded - eagles*
13. guileless - saints*
14. dsal - titans*
15. hitokage - seahawks*
16. icedragon - panthers
17. malleymal - chiefs*
18. GCQ - Patriots
19. DJ Demon - ? (if he can get the skins)*
20. methodman - broncos
21. truelize - falcons
22. nme - cowboys
23. sickboy - rams
24. lonestar - seahawks*
25. karakand - raiders
-----------

* "MAYBE i'll play!"

Miguel

TEXANS_KUBIAK_FOOTBALL.jpg

DMczaf

Get ready to see a whole lot of this, FMT!!!!

a_gruden_jon_vt.jpg

Bucs are winning this whole damn thing, no more choking since I wont be controlling the players!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
When's this game coming out? I'll be interested, but don't know when it will be available.

Oh, right. The team I want. Steelers.

methodman

Banned
Is this going to be fun? I finally got xbox live so i could play with you guys (but madden sucked on 360 lol), but this for PC would be cool too.

bluemax

Banned
I know this game is about being the head coach but how do the actual games play out? Do you control the action or simply call plays?

Anywho for teams um, Seahawks or Chargers please.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm probably getting this but I will wait a little while for yall's impressions to make sure the stat engine isn't screwy. Hopefully the game simulates you being harrased by angry fans after a catastrophic natural disaster forces your team to play in front of 10,000 people with bags on their heads at Tiger Stadium. The Saints: they're fantastic!

you are only the coach. you are responsible for the following:

1. calling plays
2. making adjustments
3. "coaching up" your players during the game.

the game takes place in real time. so if your QB has just thrown an int, your defense goes on the field. you call the defensive play and while you are talking to your QB the game is going on behind you. you have no direct control over the players

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I am intrigued... but I'm not 100% on whether the game is worth buyin or not. I guess I'll reevaluate things closer to the release date from what word-of-mouth is.

I'd be down for the Seahawks or Titans I guess, since the bestest team is taken by FMT :p.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bluemax said:
I know this game is about being the head coach but how do the actual games play out? Do you control the action or simply call plays?

Anywho for teams um, Seahawks or Chargers please.

This link may give you the info you need. It has some in-depth info on what you'll be doing in the season, player attributes, player drills and practice, and what you'll actually be doing on gameday.

So if you want your #1 WR to keep the DB on the inside arm on a fly pattern, have your QB focus on him, stay in the pocket, pump fake to hold the safeties then use a quick release and throw a high ball, and have your WR cut off the route and go up for it...you can do that and the players will try to do as you ask. And if they or someone else) screws up executing the play, you can then yell at then afterwards. ;)

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
you are only the coach. you are responsible for the following:

1. calling plays
2. making adjustments
3. "coaching up" your players during the game.

the game takes place in real time. so if your QB has just thrown an int, your defense goes on the field. you call the defensive play and while you are talking to your QB the game is going on behind you. you have no direct control over the players

Thanks that's what I figured it was. Sounds like fun, maybe a throw back to the old FPS Football games only with new features.

Any word on price? I'm guessing $29.99? My team picks still stand.

NME

I'll be out of town from July 3-10 and again from August 5-12. If that's not too big of a scheduling problem, I'm in.

If it's ok, I'll take Dallas (since the Steelers are off the table).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Actually it's $39.99. Having the computer actually decide the success of the plays you call should make for some interesting reading when league games get heated and people start getting pissed off. I think this will either be the best game ever or complete horseshit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The problem with this game is, as FMT mentioned, it's less reliant on your twitch ability, and moreso on your planning and strategy. But at the same time, I can tell you right now that the Niners in Head Coach with FMT won't be as good as the Niners in Madden with him. Mid-play and on-field adjustments are what make the good players good in Madden, and what negates bad teams. How this is going to work will be interesting.

The game ships June 20th. I, for one, cannot wait to get my mitts on it for the offline play. How online play will work will be interesting. I know offline I can plan all week to stop, say, DM's passing game, but what can you do online?

And as a clarification, you do not call plays. Your coordinator does. You can influence the play call. If you want to start calling plays, you can, but you will piss your coordinator off. I imagine this doesn't matter online.

Boy am I glad the Giants finally got good last season. :lol

yeah i wonder how i will do with the niners, who are probably the lowest rated team in the game again :(

oh well, have to stay true to alex through thick and thin! madden '08, alex rated 90+!

XiaNaphryz

Wellington said:
The problem with this game is, as FMT mentioned, it's less reliant on your twitch ability, and moreso on your planning and strategy. But at the same time, I can tell you right now that the Niners in Head Coach with FMT won't be as good as the Niners in Madden with him. Mid-play and on-field adjustments are what make the good players good in Madden, and what negates bad teams. How this is going to work will be interesting.

I thought adjusting your play to negate matchup problems and other issues is the whole point of Head Coach? Like the elaborate play setup I mentioned in my previous post.

And as a clarification, you do not call plays. Your coordinator does. You can influence the play call. If you want to start calling plays, you can, but you will piss your coordinator off. I imagine this doesn't matter online.
Are you sure about the pissing your coordinator off bit? Because in the real NFL certain head coaches will call the plays for one side of the ball. Maybe it depends on the background you choose when setting up your head coach (i.e. if you were a former offensive coordinator, then your own OC won't mind as much if you want to call the offensive plays).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
XiaNaphryz said:
I thought adjusting your play to negate matchup problems and other issues is the whole point of Head Coach? Like the elaborate play setup I mentioned in my previous post.

Er... you still don't control the players is my point. You can't do a quick hop-step to get through the line, you can't wait for a blocker, you can't dump it off in the flats, all things I did with great success in Madden. That's my point, you can only watch from the sideline which will negatively impact players like MrBob and Fifty, who were great at on-field stuff.

Are you sure about the pissing your coordinator off bit? Because in the real NFL certain head coaches will call the plays for one side of the ball. Maybe it depends on the background you choose when setting up your head coach (i.e. if you were a former offensive coordinator, then your own OC won't mind as much if you want to call the offensive plays).

The rep specifically mentioned it at the show. I don't know how else it will work other than he makes the calls and you can override.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I really have no clue how this game will play at all. But I'm in.

FALCONS All bow down to Vick!!!! :)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Truelize said:
I really have no clue how this game will play at all. But I'm in.

FALCONS All bow down to Vick!!!! :)

Um, I don't know if you realize, but you can't Vick Cheese in NFL Head Coach.

SickBoy

Who the hell is bluemax? :)

Anyhow, I'll play, pending:

1) Game running on my PC
2) My ability to get the game
3) I presume we'll start in July at the earliest?
4) I'm sure there's something else.

So count me in, I guess. Only something out of my control will ruin it for me (or EA not allowing leagues of this scale). I imagine the game might have some sort of league tracking function built in.

My team choices:

1) Chargers
2) Cardinals (hey, I like a challenge, but if we're just playing games and not managing a league, I reserve the right to revisit this :)
3) Rams

Also, I have no problem *not* being the Chargers, if it makes picking teams easier, although I am rather disgusted that bluemax's alternate selection was the Seahawks.

XiaNaphryz

SickBoy said:
So count me in, I guess. Only something out of my control will ruin it for me (or EA not allowing leagues of this scale). I imagine the game might have some sort of league tracking function built in.
From what I've heard of the online modes, I doubt we'll see full-blown online league functionality.

Which brings up the question, how will the league be run? I know a lot of the single player game is going to involve the practices in the week leading up to gameday, so if online games are just basic "choose teams, choose your playbook (custom or not), and play online," will there be any chance for seeing players improve over the course of a "season"?

Which brings up the question, how will the league be run? I know a lot of the single player game is going to involve the practices in the week leading up to gameday, so if online games are just basic "choose teams, choose your playbook (custom or not), and play online," will there be any chance for seeing players improve over the course of a "season"?

unless EA provides it then no. check the first post and check out www.leaguedaddy.com. that is what i had planned anyhow. yes it does take progression away, but i see no other way we could run a season

Fifty

Does anyone know the specs for this? I've just got a standard laptop video card (nothing meant to really play games) so I doubt my PC can run it...but it's worth figuring out. It'd be a shame if I couldn't run it, because it's a game that could very well exist as a text-only product, and to have my laptop stand in the way of a Ravens victory is sad.

DMczaf

Fifty said:
Does anyone know the specs for this? I've just got a standard laptop video card (nothing meant to really play games) so I doubt my PC can run it...but it's worth figuring out.

We dont have Head Coach specs yet, but since the game uses the same engine as other Madden games, here are the specs for Madden 06

System: PIII or AMD Athlon 800MHz or equivalent
RAM: 256 MB
Video Memory: 64 MB
Hard Drive Space: 2000 MB

this is just an educated guess fifty (going off madden 2006 requirements):

System: PC
Requirements:
Windows XP or 2000
1.0 GHz or faster Processor
256 MB RAM or more
8x or faster CD/DVD drive
1.7 GB or more free hard drive space
DirectX 9.0c compatible video
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound
Keyboard, mouse, or dual-analog gamepad
Video card with 32 MB or more memory and one of these chipsets is required: ATI Radeon 7500 (64MB), Radeon 8500 or greater; NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS or greater.
Multiplayer requires 1 set of discs per PC and a 56 Kbps or faster connection.
Internet play requires Internet Explorer 6.0.

Top Bottom