• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Tsubaki

icecream said:
Well let me ask you this, which ones have you played? I hope that blanket of a statement isn't coming from playing just one game. And besides, the Tokimeki series is good because of its story and atmosphere, not it's ground breaking gameplay. (Although Tokimeki Memorial 2's speech function was pretty interesting)

I played (and own) TokiMemo 1 to completion, some TokiMemo 2, and watched a little of TokiMemo 3. I've also played one of the side stories, which is more story-driven, and I enjoyed it more than the real games. Haven't tried Girls Side, although I think it'd be interesting to :p

But nevertheless, I've played a few other adventure/ren'ai games like Sentimental Graffiti, Kita e White Illumination, and Kanon and although the genre isn't a stellar example of good gameplay, I got more out of the characterization & story than what I've played of TokiMemo.

You people, with your knowledge of that crazy Japanese moon language, suck. I have to avoid this thread so I don't get overly excited about a game I cannot buy and play until some time early next year. :^/

Here's the names of the songs from the soundtrack they've released so far

01.Burn My Dread
02.全ての人の魂の詩
03.はじまり
04.この不思議な感覚
05.Want To Be Close
06.Troubled
07.Crisis
08.シャドウ
09.ペルソナ発動
10.避けられぬ戦い
11.やすらぎ
12.When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars
13.巌戸台分寮
14.The Voice Someone Calls
15.tartarus_0d01
16.Mass Destruction
17.戦いのあと
18.p3ct004_01
19.Deep Breath Deep Breath
20.Master of Shadow
21.ポロニアンモール

http://www.aniplex.co.jp/persona3/

icecream

Public Health Threat
Tsubaki said:
I've played a few other adventure/ren'ai games like Sentimental Graffiti, Kita e White Illumination, and Kanon and although the genre isn't a stellar example of good gameplay, I got more out of the characterization & story than what I've played of TokiMemo.
Perhaps, to each his own. But having played all those, can't you see why the franchise as a whole is popular? And then we have to note this is all in the realm of console games. There are PC games that would rank much higher in people's eyes. But I take them as two separate genres, consoles we have games such as the Tokimemo and TLS series, while for PC we have examples such as Air or To Heart

Tsubaki

icecream said:
for PC we have examples such as Air or To Heart

... which are also on console. But back to the point, actually I don't see the appeal of TokiMemo. That was the entire purpose of my first post. As one of the few ren'ai games I've played, it has the poorest characterization, least story, yet isn't any fun to play. TokiMemo 3 did try to improve the gameplay though, with tons of different customization options, and for that I give it credit.

duckroll

Tsubaki said:
... which are also on console. But back to the point, actually I don't see the appeal of TokiMemo. That was the entire purpose of my first post. As one of the few ren'ai games I've played, it has the poorest characterization, least story, yet isn't any fun to play. TokiMemo 3 did try to improve the gameplay though, with tons of different customization options, and for that I give it credit.

You don't see the appeal of MGS either. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okay, so I started playing P3 today, after getting back LATE from work. It's 3:30 in the morning here, and I'm only writing my impressions now, because I've been really addicted to the game for the last few hours. I just opened up the Chariot and the Magician tarot cards, and I've been wandering about the first block of Tarutaros. My members are getting tired rather quickly, so I can't go very far up before I have to give up and turn back.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I like the way you only control your character. There's a feeling of really interacting with other real people. I split my guys up, and started wandering the dungeon, hoping to find some treasure. When I crossed paths with Junpei, he shouted to me "Bum baba bum! Junpei leveled up!"

The way the game breaks the fourth wall is quite hilarious, and a welcome addition for me.

Community wise, I've been hanging out with a classmate, I joined the swim club, and I've been trying to stay visible to rest of the SEES members. Over the weekend I decided to traverse Tarutaros by myself, and got myself killed because of a silly mistake. I didn't switch Pixie in to heal, and I paid the price.

So far, I think that P3 is an absolutely superb successor to Persona 2. I'm a big SMT fan, and in no way do I think Persona 3 is anything short of classic Persona. Persona has always been more about character development than straight up dungeon crawling, and its sort of the same way with P3. Dungeon crawling, while insanely fun (for me at least), is nothing more than a small part of a larger package: living the life of an asskicking teenager. I know a lot of people are apprehensive about the game because of its unconventional gameplay, and its random dungeons, but I absolutely love it. It's a welcome change of pace from all the derivative RPGs I've been subjected to in the past. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jj984jj said:
But I liked the big creative dungeons in Persona 2. :(

You mean the big meandering dungeons where everything looked the same, but WASN'T randomized? Believe me. This is a very cool change for the better. When you're going through levels of Tarutaros several times over a couple days, you'll be happy they're randomized.

Alt.S

Yeah, i was about to say. Many of the P2 dungeons were pretty bland. This problem was accentuated further by those damn map-making quests...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Tsubaki said:
... which are also on console.
Funny how Tokimemo 3 was the least liked one...

And there's a difference to a game being ported to a console and being exclusive to it. The Tokimemo series are console specific. Games like Kanon are only ported to consoles as an afterthought after the PC version has its run. When people laud about how great such games are, they're referring to the PC version, not the console version that was ported two years later.

Anyways, you made your point, you personally don't like the series, which is fine.

thetrin

Just got my third persona. I'm now able to use Orpheus and my new persona (Apsilis?) together, to heal my entire party by 50%. Extremely powerful spell. I want to get more personae, so I can start fusing them and making new ones...

Shouta

I think In eed to play Persona 2 to tide me over until I can get this.

Now the issue is which one to play, Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment. :lol

Tabris

I didn't read much of this thread but tell me if I'm wrong.

This game has an animal crossing like system where it's based off real time? and you go and dungeon crawl during the night time?

If so, that's pretty damn cool.

It's also sounding a lot like Azure Dreams. Dungeon Crawl in a tower than sim it up in town.

Tabris

Ohh. That's a shame. Would have been really cool... except I could only dungeon crawl on weekends cause of work... maybe it wouldn't have been that cool.

Anyways, my azure dreams point remains.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
real time night/day cycle like DQ would have suck big time here, since you were always in that mood to do things quickly which is the total opposite of this game. I'm glad they didn't go that route

duckroll

TheTrin said:
Just got my third persona. I'm now able to use Orpheus and my new persona (Apsilis?) together, to heal my entire party by 50%. Extremely powerful spell. I want to get more personae, so I can start fusing them and making new ones...

Yay you got your first mix raid! Have fun mixing and creating new Persona! Don't worry about losing ones that you only use for support since you can easily fight a few battles and get the tarot again. :D

duckroll

Himuro said:
In total agreement.

But the question remains: how do you progress time? If you're not in classes how do you continue the story? Just go to your room or something?

It's automatic. Don't think of it as "time" but think of every day as "1 day" and "1 night." In the day the various time cycles "morning, lunch, afternoon, etc" are skipped automatically unless there are special events that happen at those times on that day. Like a question in class, or someone talking to you during lunch break, or an announcement in the hall in the morning.

After school ends you get control of your character and can wander anywhere with no limit. But once you commit to an event for that day, be it hanging out with a friend, studying in the library or going to any of the various food or entertainment joints to spend the rest of the day there, the "day" ends and the next part is when you get home at night. Then you can either choose to study, sleep (rest), or tackle the Tartaros tower. After which the next day begins. Hope that helps! :D

Tabris

I hope the whole persona summoning method doesn't prevent this game from reaching NA shores. Has it been greenlighted by Atlus USA/SCEA yet?

WalkMan

Banned
Tabris said:
I hope the whole persona summoning method doesn't prevent this game from reaching NA shores. Has it been greenlighted by Atlus USA/SCEA yet?
Well all is known is that the release date is in 2007 from their announcement at E3, so its probably been greenlighted to come over, otherwise they wouldn't have started the localization process.

Oh and was it that Innocent Sin didn't make it over because of the Nazis summoning demons? I heard it was because the school staff got killed.

duckroll

I think the real reason Innocent Sin wasn't brought over was because realistically they could only localize one game of that kind of length at that time, so they obviously picked the one which concluded the series. Everything else is an excuse.

Error

actually Innocent Sin didn't came here because no one spread a rumour about it, bad bad bad.

Shouta

Brawr, I started Eternal Punishment again cause I felt like something in English. Woo.

I watched the bonus disc stuff again. Kazuma Kaneko and Cozy Okada look badass in it. :lol

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
actually Innocent Sin didn't came here because no one spread a rumour about it, bad bad bad.

Or maybe someone DID start a rumor.... about how it wasn't getting localized! :lol

Aaron

Tabris said:
I mentioned it to the Atlus rep at E3, and he said it's not going to be any problem, nor are they going to alter the summoning method at all. I didn't ask specificly, but from the sound of things it seemed they already had SCEA's approval.

thetrin

Haha, I miss the rumor system from P2. That was such a good system :)

Btw, duckroll, have you joined the internet community yet? It`s the Heamit tarot. I checked Famitsu, and it looks like it`s only available on saturdays. This next saturday, I`m going to try and join it.

So far, this is how I figure the communities are broken up:

Fool: SEES
Heamit: Internet
Chariot: School club (kendo/track/swimming. I think you can only choose one)
Magician: Classmates (so far, I`ve only hung out with one of them)
Emperor: This one looks like it`s supposed to be school politics, but I haven`t joined the club yet, and only saw it in Famitsu.
Hanging Man: Talking to a little girl in the playground at the Shrine? Haven`t gotten this one yet, so can`t tell from just the photos in Famitsu (will try it out when I get home).
Forgot the Tarot name: Part time job. You have a choice of working at the chicken fast food place, the book store, etc.

Tonight I`ll post a Famitsu chart of when each community is available.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
Haha, I miss the rumor system from P2. That was such a good system :)

Btw, duckroll, have you joined the internet community yet? It`s the Heamit tarot. I checked Famitsu, and it looks like it`s only available on saturdays. This next saturday, I`m going to try and join it.

Yeah I joined it some time ago,
it's DEVIL BUSTERS ONLINE, some MMORPG that Junpei introduces to you. If he hasn't introed the game, you can't play even on weekends. It's great stuff, since they make fun of how MMORPGs are all about talking to other people and not really playing, and there are some funny SMT references in the "game" too.

thetrin

duckroll said:
Yeah I joined it some time ago,
it's DEVIL BUSTERS ONLINE, some MMORPG that Junpei introduces to you. If he hasn't introed the game, you can't play even on weekends. It's great stuff, since they make fun of how MMORPGs are all about talking to other people and not really playing, and there are some funny SMT references in the "game" too.

I envy you, Duck. I have this thing called a job that I have to go to every day. I don`t have nearly as much time to play. :(

Btw, is Fool only advanced through story?

duckroll

TheTrin said:
I envy you, Duck. I have this thing called a job that I have to go to every day. I don`t have nearly as much time to play. :(

Btw, is Fool only advanced through story?

And yet Srider's further than both of us combined I bet! Life just isn't fair!!

I'm not sure if you can advance Fool through optional means, I've been trying but so far... not much luck. I bet it's possible to get Yukari on a date.... I bet it's ****ing hard too!

Oh and Hanged Man is totally goddamn jail bait. I hope Atlus has good sense to hide this as much as possible from people that wanna make a fuss because it's really disturbing that one of the activities of the day you can do is hang around and play with a 9 year old girl who's all along at the Shrine's playground. You get her food and stuff too and she'll DAISUKI you the more you spend time with her.... ^^;;;;

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dating sim, dungeon crawling and lolicon? There really is something for everyone in P3!

thetrin

duckroll said:
And yet Srider's further than both of us combined I bet! Life just isn't fair!!

I'm not sure if you can advance Fool through optional means, I've been trying but so far... not much luck. I bet it's possible to get Yukari on a date.... I bet it's ****ing hard too!

Oh and Hanged Man is totally goddamn jail bait. I hope Atlus has good sense to hide this as much as possible from people that wanna make a fuss because it's really disturbing that one of the activities of the day you can do is hang around and play with a 9 year old girl who's all along at the Shrine's playground. You get her food and stuff too and she'll DAISUKI you the more you spend time with her.... ^^;;;;

Maybe you're just being a nice teenage boy, spending time with a lonely kid? :p

INNOCENCE LOSS TOTAL.

thetrin

This should help people tryin to join communities, or up community rank. This is the schedule for every community. Unfortunately, it's in Japanese, but I can translate if someone has a problem.

commuschedule.jpg

There's no schedule for the Fool card, so I assume it can only be upped through story.

oh, man, I finally listened to the medley MP3 and this is a great soundtrack

is it pretty representative of what the music in the game sounds like?

Error

yeah the medley is a bunch of songs that can be found on the OST.

I can't wait for ost personally it sounds great.

Top Bottom