• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phil Harrison Keynote @ GDC Thread.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Just watched the whole keynote. It's really impressive to see what they have been capable of doing in Home. Physics and high res movies just playing without a single drop in framerate in a mmo environment. Very practical engine seemingly.
Yeah same here. I just watched the entire keynote as well. Simply genius stuff imo. I can't wait to see what people come up with in LBW and the possibilities in Home. Singstar was cool too, but not so much my type of game. I'm sure it will be a hit again in Europe. The applauses they gave to media molecule were so well deserved. I almost felt like literally clapping myself.

The fact that they showed so little (speaking generally, only 2 games, one being old, and a new online service) and still had everybody impressed is just awesome, especially when theres so much they could of shown. Bravo Sony, bravo.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
PlayStation Home is all right I guess, not sold on it. LittleBigWorld on the other hand: HOT HOT HOT. Totally unlike any keynote Sony has done before.

I just finished too. As charmed by LBP as I was based on just the trailer, I'm somehow even more charmed after seeing the keynote segment. There's such creative and social potential. It reminds me of Spore actually with how they want to really create a network of user shared and generated content.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The YouTube voting system will go a LONG way to helping out with the title's success. Of course it could be just as damaging with everyone voting on a "sea of oranges" level as a friend put it.

In any case this game has everything in order to be a massive casual hit. Maybe not in sales but at least within the hardcore sector.

Wollan

Spore is more ambitious but I also think it looks more complex, especially concerning the gameplay (thinking about the casuals here). LBP looks really easy and is fast as hell when it comes to get stuff that looks absolutely great up fast.

But then again, casuals don't have a single problem with the Sims.

Yeah I hestitated to use the comparison. But I think the last time I grinned so much at one game really was the last GDC Spore demonstration. Additionally and similarly enough, it was in large part because of the user generated content and its potential.

Very different specifics but still that core creative charm definitely is what brings a smile to my face for both titles.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think it would be absolutely necessary for sony to get the word out of what they have shown today. Not exactly tomorrow, since theres so long until we will see these at work, but I would hope that in a few months and in the later half of the year we would see trailers of these things in every kiosk and in tv commercials, at least.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
abacab driver said:
I dont think of a Spore comparison..
I think of LBP as Excitebike meets platforming with co-op.

But that doesn't capture the content/gameplay-creation aspects which are at the core of this game (nor the community/publishing/sharing aspect). A Spore comparison doesn't really cut it though, either, on that I agree. They're very different beyond the shared labels we're placing on these games.

spwolf

plagiarize said:
did you miss something? yeah you did. you've been able to talk and meet with your friends, listen to music, watch videos and play games in second life for years.

um, and PLAY games? Yeah, right - what games exactly?

gofreak said:
But that doesn't capture the content/gameplay-creation aspects which are at the core of this game (nor the community/publishing/sharing aspect). A Spore comparison doesn't really cut it though, either, on that I agree. They're very different beyond the shared labels we're placing on these games.

The content-creation is why I likened it to Excitebike..they give you a set of objects to use and you arrange it how you like.

(I didn't mention the community/sharing/publishing aspects because we have yet to see how that will actually function..it's nice to see their vision for it (and Home)..but the proof is in the pudding..not to sound cynical.)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Steroyd said:

Damn you. You've just made me hate LBP. :(

He reminded me of Mr Gosh from the Lenore comics...

Gothic_L_6.jpg

Top Bottom