• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Share Play thread | Share playable PS4 game streams to your friends

My router says it's synced to
Download: 4150 Kbps
Upload: 596 Kbps

So no chance for me to host sessions?
The next higher upload from my provider costs like 10-15&#8364; more per month. For some reason I can increase the download easily&cheaply to <16 Mbps but would still only get <1 Mbps for the upload... Never thought about how low those upload speeds are, and I'm living in a German city.
Prefer not to get new contracts anyway as I might move in a year and those contracts are for 24 months...
Kinda bummed out now about not being able to use the feature :(

Agent X

I tried this today, with a friend from Hawaii hosting. I'm in New Jersey, so we're about 5000 to 6000 miles away.

The streaming quality was very good, with not much artifacting. However, if I tried to play a game, then there was simply too much lag from the distance involved.

It's useful if he simply wants to show me a game from his collection. I could watch him play, and we could engage in voice chat at the same time.

After the session ended, I did notice one rather annoying thing...

Posted?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/ps4-sh...-downloading-a-patch-for-a-game-you-don-t-own

Seems quite odd it would do that. Impressions sound great so far cannot wait to try it out
in 2015.

This occurred for me, too. My system is now downloading "update files" for 5 of the 7 games that my friend owns with SharePlay. One of those is a game which I didn't even actually see--it was probably briefly selected on his menu screen during the SharePlay session.

I understand the reasoning--they figure this is handy in case the other user is interested in buying the game, so he'll already have the files on his hard drive. Regardless, it is still a waste of bandwidth and hard drive space to do this automatically by default. I'll have to check and see if this "feature" can be deactivated.

ckohler

While my friend was installing COD on his Xbox One, we tried Share Play for the first time tonight.

It worked perfectly. I was throughly impressed. We played some Mordor and Rezogun, passing the control back and fourth. It worked better than Remote Play using Vita. I hosted once and he hosted once. Pretty flawless both times.

Famassu

So... I can connect to a friend-hosted SharePlay but when we try to do it the other way around (I'm the host), it claims that the connection speed isn't fast enough. I have a 100/10mbps connection and my friend has a 50/10mbps connection and we both have a wired connection, so I don't think connection speeds should be the problem. My NAT type is 2, if that is of any consequence.

Any help, plz?

I gotta say, I love this feature so much! It's amazing.

I used to play single player games with my best friend growing up everyday, we played some split screen MP as well but the vast majority of the time it was single player, we would go "life for life" and hand off the controller when the other died. From NES up to the early days of PS3. We live over 4000 miles away from each other now but still play online together almost every day.

We decided to try out Share Play. Holy shit it was so much fun. He had just picked up The Evil Within and I hadn't planned on picking it up. We ended up staying up all night handing the controller back and forth each time the other died. It brought back some good memories, we went on and on how it was like back in the day lol.. awesome feature.

I will be buying TEW now. The game is fucking awesome.

FeiRR

Banned
So... I can connect to a friend-hosted SharePlay but when we try to do it the other way around (I'm the host), it claims that the connection speed isn't fast enough. I have a 100/10mbps connection and my friend has a 50/10mbps connection and we both have a wired connection, so I don't think connection speeds should be the problem. My NAT type is 2, if that is of any consequence.

Any help, plz?

Test your connection. What you're giving is theoretical speeds advertised by your provider. Are you really getting those speeds? My connection should be 180/30 and, as you can see, I'm not getting that much while testing.
3879559930.png

With half a megabit, no way. Even megabit is not enough. :-/

Thanks, I thought so. I will keep upload speed in mind the next time I move / get a new contract... I was never interested in streaming games etc. but the thought of virtual couch play with old friends like back in school/uni entices me.

Btw I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but can you use the camera to transfer a video feed along with the game like when you are streaming? At least from the host?
If not, they really should finally include video chat via party chat...

Bradach

i played some of my friends D3 last night. It was excellent, I quickly forgot I was streaming a game.

The only downside is that we were playing 2 player, and I created a character at the beginning. After 1 hour it kicked us off and when we went back in the character wasn't there anymore and I had to start from scratch. also I couldn't chose one of his other existing characters.
I wonder if this would happen if I was actually over at his house and we started a second co-op character or is this some Shareplay restriction.

@GermanGAF

Check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2kptf1/screenshot_share_play_region_locked_uk_buddy/

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9993/~/shareplay-on-ps4-and-its-limitations

Germany

• German PSN account holders can only use Share Play with other German PSN account holders.
• The visitor is required to input a German ID number before joining host’s Share Play session if the game is 16+.

Germany strikes again. Im just glad this time it isnt effecting the rest of Europe like with censorships. Sucks for you my advice switch to a UK acc for PS+

delSai

@GermanGAF

Check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2kptf1/screenshot_share_play_region_locked_uk_buddy/

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9993/~/shareplay-on-ps4-and-its-limitations

Germany

• German PSN account holders can only use Share Play with other German PSN account holders.
• The visitor is required to input a German ID number before joining host’s Share Play session if the game is 16+.

But i share played with someone from Florida. This must be new then i guess?
Man that's so stupid, what next? Cames that don't come out here (like Mortal Kombat last Gen) wont be playable at all? -_-

DieH@rd

Banned
But i share played with someone from Florida. This must be new then i guess?
Man that's so stupid, what next? Cames that don't come out here (like Mortal Kombat last Gen) wont be playable at all? -_-

Actually yes. :-/ That linked article mentions that guest can only play games that are present on the PS4 PSN store that account is linked to.

Germany strikes again. Im just glad this time it isnt effecting the rest of Europe like with censorships. Sucks for you my advice switch to a UK acc for PS+
Actually, there's a better workaround: just primary activate your German PS+ account and make a non-German one to SharePlay games.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dude being a Gamer in Germany can really suck sometimes lol.

Its often a lot of hyperbole from german gamers ;) In the last 8 years, its getten better by far but its still pretty common to act like its like in the early 2000s.

Doesnt change the fact that I think that these ID-checks are stupid.

Me and my friends are using this a lot more than I ever expected us to. Everytime somebody buys a new game the first thing we do now is go to share play.

Any explanation as to why some games can't be shared?

Both Minecraft and apparently Advanced Warfare are blocked

I thought Sony said that pubs couldn't opt out? Does this have to do with Microsoft?

LAM09

I thought Sony said that pubs couldn't opt out? Does this have to do with Microsoft?

Are you sure the games aren't just blocked on certain PSN regions?

Source?

I think you're talking about Remote Play (which is kinda limited already). SharePlay is a bit different.

Jas

Call fo Duty is definitely blocked, I tried playing with someone that lives 5 minutes away from me.

Just used Share Play to play an hour Divekick against my buddy that's about 150 miles away from me. Both of us have fine, but not amazing connections (about 30 down, 10 up) and it worked pretty much flawlessly. There were definitely a few frames of lag, but it was better than 90% of online matches.

Overall I'm really impressed. Wasn't excepting this to work so well with fighting games.

sn00zer

Is there plans to share to Vita? I dont plan on getting a PS4 any time soon, so is thee a way I can play my friends PS4 games on my Vita?

Is there plans to share to Vita? I dont plan on getting a PS4 any time soon, so is thee a way I can play my friends PS4 games on my Vita?
Good question. It should be technically possible, since Remote Play over the internet is basically the same thing.

Sony misses often, but man, they hit this one right...Just reading the thread gave me a smile. Very cool feature...

Why is COD blocked though?

sappyday

So does the host need to have a good connection or both? My speed is 16mb down and 1mb up. My friends was 5 down. He was able play with me when I was host but after ten minutes he would lose connection. When he's host I can't play any game for more than 30 seconds and it's very blurry and laggy.

Traffcore

I tried the Share Play feature with Shadow of Morday yesterday with a friend.
It is pretty awesome feature! It had a little delay though, but was fully playable.

Dragun619

So is it confirmed that you can't share play Call of duty: AW? Hoping they we're just blocking it during it's day zero release.

ksdixon

Is SharePlay limited to 2 players (host and 1 guest)? Party of 4 trying to get some SharePlay Spelunky going, and we can't seem to figure it out.

Dragon

Banned
So is it confirmed that you can't share play Call of duty: AW? Hoping they we're just blocking it during it's day zero release.

From what I've read they have been blocking it the same way you can't stream certain parts of a game. Except they blocked the entire game.

My friend and I were testing Share Play - it works very well - but something weird happened. His PS4 - the one without the game (Alien Isolation) in the drive - started downloading a patch for it. Obviously, it can't patch a game that's not present.

I see there's been a post or two on this...has Sony said anything? Hopefully it's a mistake and will be fixed.

Top Bottom