• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Youtube Channel Encourages Fans To Keep Making Sonic Fan Games

Honestly though, I wish Sega would go a little beyond just cool social media posts and actually... do something. Aside from these 2 new Sonic games (after 3 years) all we ever see from them is Yakuza at best (and Puyo Puyo if you're in Japan). One does have to wonder if they're not using this type of thing in their favor to compensate the lack os titles

We've already got enough Sonic games, both fan-made and official. Let's bring back Space Channel 5, Golden Axe, Ristar, and all the other forgotten Sega properties.

vjP6RM2.jpg

I mean can the Sonic youttube channel convince some chucklefucks to make a Skies of Arcadia fangame they can officiate too? Cause I'm still fucking waiting.

Fans do what Sega don't

Honestly though, I wish Sega would go a little beyond just cool social media posts and actually... do something. Aside from these 2 new Sonic games (after 3 years) all we ever see from them is Yakuza at best (and Puyo Puyo if you're in Japan). One does have to wonder if they're not using this type of thing in the favor to compensate the lack os titles

Done and done. This is why Sega's social media antics where they take jabs at the competitors always fall flat to me. Lots of posturing, very little actually doing.

21XX

Banned
Ha, that "SuperSonic68" comment is something.

It's cool, I guess. Although all the folks who cry about companies taking down stuff because "gosh! they don't like the fandom!" (bleh) are also a little clueless.

Sciz

Honestly though, I wish Sega would go a little beyond just cool social media posts and actually... do something. Aside from these 2 new Sonic games (after 3 years) all we ever see from them is Yakuza at best (and Puyo Puyo if you're in Japan). One does have to wonder if they're not using this type of thing in their favor to compensate the lack os titles

They're specifically the Sonic social media guys. They've only got so much influence when it comes to getting actual product made, and I imagine Mania is going to be what makes or breaks their ability to get anything else accomplished.

TimmiT

It's a game partly made by ascended Sonic modders/fangame makers.

Not just partly, mostly. Aside from Christian Whitehead and Headcannon, who worked on some great Sonic fangames/romhacks, PagodaWest has people who worked on the Sonic 2 HD fangame before moving on to making mobile games and now Mania.

AdanVC

That comment from Sonic's officiall account probably made the guy's life. He even was surprised and thankful when the video started to get tons of views, now just imagine when he received that comment from the real thing! Massive props to SEGA :')

Maybe he will get secretely hired as part of the dev team doing the new 3D Sonic game for next year!

They're specifically the Sonic social media guys. They've only got so much influence when it comes to getting actual product made, and I imagine Mania is going to be what makes or breaks their ability to get anything else accomplished.

I know, I just mean I wish the company's recent popularity was more because of their games and not because they're snarky on social media. I'm not against it, but I really love Sega, Space Channel 5 Part II is one of my favorite games ever, but nowadays it's just silence with them

Considering what's happening with Sonic Mania, maybe Sega is trying to encourage this as they could be the next generation of developers.

This makes the most sense to me. With the success and quality of the mobile ports, if Sonic Mania proves to be a hit both commercially and critically - especially if compared to whatever the new 'main' game is - then its almost certain that Sega would be incentivised to encourage the growth of fan talent, to then make use of it in future. More broadly, I think a positive effect if this works is that it provides a clear example for anyone with an interest in video games that might dream of making them for the companies that inspired them. Yes yes I know that's fairly widespread throughout the industry, but this would be one of the easiest examples to hold up to encourage someone to follow their dreams. These guys have done it, and so can others.

The Streets of Rage Remake got shut down in 2011.

AM2R got shut down this month.

I'll continue to reiterate that AM2R was a direct DCMA sent to the dev's email and he chose to shut down further development of the game, which effectively makes it a C&D in effect and that's complete shit, but I just want to clear that bit up.

Toxi

Banned
I'll continue to reiterate that AM2R was a direct DCMA sent to the dev's email and he chose to shut down further development of the game, which effectively makes it a C&D in effect and that's complete shit, but I just want to clear that bit up.
I didn't specify C&D, I just said AM2R got shut down. As you pointed out, there's no effective difference.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some people get so salty at SEGA news and try to spin anything they do in a negative light. It's amusing to see.

I think this approach is a much better business decision and better for growing a fan community than striking down fan game projects. I also think it's smart of them to hire the talented enthusiasts out there like they did with Taxman and the people from Headcannon.

Opa-Pa

Sega is constantly screwing up but they can be pretty cool at times, good for them. I remember when they announced Sonic Boom was going to be on Hulu too and politely explained to fans that they needed them to remove episodes from their channels because they didn't want to have to get them closed just for that, and everything worked out nicely. THAT'S how you form a good relationship with fans, even when your output is constantly being criticized.

I do wonder what was the deal with SoRR tho, I wish that could work out if they tried it again (and yes I realize the game is readily available either way).

Mannnnn I wish Nintendo would remove the stick from their ass and have an attitude more like this.

If that ever happens, it will only be after many years of losing and they are a shell of their former greatness. Sort've like current-day Sega.

Nintendo is a proud old company with old ideals. It's understandable to hope they change, but they won't anytime soon, so your only options are to buy their products or not. Whining about Nintendo policy is a waste of everyone's time. They won't bow to Internet pressure like more hip companies will.

Dunkley

Not just partly, mostly. Aside from Christian Whitehead and Headcannon, who worked on some great Sonic fangames/romhacks, PagodaWest has people who worked on the Sonic 2 HD fangame before moving on to making mobile games and now Mania.

I just said partly since I didn't exactly know the precise buildup of the team and I didn't want to make any definitive statements besides saying that fans are working on it. :p

LordRaptor

I guess that JSRF game using directly ripped assets would have been fine after all.

Sonics twitter account said so.

Some people get so salty at SEGA news and try to spin anything they do in a negative light. It's amusing to see.

I think this approach is a much better business decision and better for growing a fan community than striking down fan game projects. I also think it's smart of them to hire the talented enthusiasts out there like they did with Taxman and the people from Headcannon.

"BUT MAH PS02! SEGA NO RELEASE GAEMS!"

also, wasn't the case with the Street of Rage Remake shut down was because they were taking donations for the project?

Top Bottom