• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Press Conference thread

Raytow

Hero said:
I'm sure like most other third party developers Square Enix expected the PS3 to continue its brand dominance with the Wii being the next Gamecube and was caught offguard when things turned out quite the opposite. This show has been in the making for a while so all these games must've been in development for a while. When DQX gets announced for Wii, I'd like to see how you all react. :p
Oh bitter tears, how sweet they taste... :lol

Branduil said:
What has Tri-Ace done?

It's confirmed that SO4 is build around "high specifications." the guys are total graphics whores.

BTW they have done:
Star Ocean 1, 2 ,3
Valkyrie Profile 1, 2 and the PSP game
now they are working on Infinite undiscorvery and SO4

"Star Ocean 4 is currently under development to meet the highest specifications, and is being developed by tri-Ace," said Yamagishi, and while they didn't state the platform or the release date, you can surmise that SO4 will be released on PS3, although a multiplatform release is not out of the question.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159370

Innotech

Banned
I actually want to see Square go back to making racing games. that was the most relevant they ever were to me. Like a new RC Pro Am game. that would ****ing rule. Or better yet a Rad Racer with actual licensed Supercars so I can play a decent racing arcade game since EA totally raped NFS. Of course, the problem is theyre all RPg whores now and that doesnt bode well for them ever making racing games again :( I still play RC Pro Am on occasion, such an addictive game despite its age.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Innotech said:
I actually want to see Square go back to making racing games. that was the most relevant they ever were to me. Like a new RC Pro Am game. that would ****ing rule. Or better yet a Rad Racer with actual licensed Supercars so I can play a decent racing arcade game since EA totally raped NFS. Of course, the problem is theyre all RPg whores now and that doesnt bode well for them ever making racing games again :( I still play RC Pro Am on occasion, such an addictive game despite its age.

hahah Driving Emotion Type-S.

Hero

Raytow said:

Bitter? Hardly. Last Remnant is the only worthwhile endeavor out of this conference. I'll most likely get it as long as it doesn't turn out to be a turd.

You know, believe it or not, some people can actually own more than one console.

Majmun

Branduil said:
All this crying will be even more silly if it turns out Star Ocean 4 is for the Wii.

I don't think so.

But it's weird why there aren't more Wii games announced. I guess a Ps360 version of a game always sells better than a Wii only version...

High budget games always seem to go to Ps360 anyway, it seems.

heeelo

I hope that we will see the trailer of dissidia soon.

The idea of a ff fighting game sounds cool...if they make it good.

Deadly Monk said:
So I guess we have to wait for more games to be revealed this weekend?

Or did they just mean more impressions of already announced games

Probably just already announced games. I doubt there'll be any more new announcements.

Krowley

Raytow said:

:lol It's not like the ps3/360 got a shitload of awesome announcements.. This was a very underwelming conference if you were looking for console games.

I was really hoping for new wii games, but I would have been happy to see more console games announced for any system.

Anything but handheld remakes...

Nobody should be claiming some kind of victory here or laughing at the "bitter tears" of Nfans. If the system keeps selling, eventually, the games will come. I thought it might be at this event, but I can wait. It seems that the games are starting to trickle in (soul calibur adventure game, Treasure Island Z, Spielberg game from EA, just to name a few,) and square will eventually join the party in a more substantial way.

Wii is getting a lot of exclusive games so far... Not all of them are substantial enough to get excited about, but exclusives are always appreciated because they focus on the hardware. Squeenix already has 2 wii exclusives and there will be more if it keeps selling.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Haven't read through the entire thread, but I thought information was being held back for the S/E party this weekend. If that's still true, then why the angst?

Krowley

GDGF said:
Haven't read through the entire thread, but I thought information was being held back for the S/E party this weekend. If that's still true, then why the angst?

Most people seem to think that only applies to games that we already know about... Having playable versions and stuff like that.

The general consensus is that all the new stuff was announced at this conference. I'm not sure were that consensus developed from. Respectable posters are backing it so i'm inclined to take their word for it until I hear otherwise.

Innotech

Banned
GDGF said:
well its true that a lot of the FF13 project has to be revealed but these pre-announcements havent been very promising. but still like you said, theres hope that the Wii will get SOMETHING of a decent budget merit.

and to whoever mentioned Treasure Island Z, God yes I want that game.

u_neek

The Last Remnant reminds me of Lost Odyssey which is good in my opinion. Great to finally see a completely new IP from Squenix and hopefully there'll be loads of next-gen releases from the company.

I'm really looking forward to see some Star Ocean 4 media as well.You guys think we'll be seeing some in the next few days?

Innotech said:
I doubt the case is nintendo fans not wanting anything on the other systems. Im pretty sure a lot of them dont care. but what they do care about is that the Wii seems to not have its own huge budget flagship main title. Not even an original IP yet. Thats why they are disappointed. I dont give a **** how many shit FF games go to any certain platform as long as the people who own a wii have something substantial to play on the system form Square. Its only fair considering how utterly dominant the Wii is in Japan. By all means enjoy the shitty FF games as you always have, and Ill hate them as I always have, but some people who own Nintendo systems would like some Square love too. And the Wii can DEFINITELY do cinematic large scale RPgs if the PSX and PS2 could do them. Its a joke to say otherwise.

But right now, all Im really concerned about is if Sega gets NiGHTS JOD right. None of the games in this thread have a snowballs chance in hell of mattering to me as much as a long-awaited sequel of one of my favorite obscure games ever.

So true, so true, SO TRUE !!!

Shouta

Error said:
looks A LOT like SO2 tho, the battle screen specially.

pity because the original was so good looking "/

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. The color pallette for the original SO is very drab (much like Tales of Phantasia) and the new sprites and recoloring probably works in its favor IMO. That and it looks like it'll get the combat system from SO2 which is vast improvement.

Red Scarlet

Wow, this topic like really sucks and stuff; Chris stinks at stealing ideas for threads and not doing anything with them. Way to go!

All I'm curious about is seeing FF4 DS in motion (and audio) and more info on the number of license boards in FF12i..

:lol @ Kev, the bug11 was weird anyway.

Red Scarlet said:
Wow, this topic like really sucks and stuff; Chris stinks at stealing ideas for threads and not doing anything with them. Way to go!

All I'm curious about is seeing FF4 DS in motion (and audio) and more info on the number of license boards in FF12i..

:lol @ Kev, the bug11 was weird anyway.
Buh? I posted all the news I could find. Hell, I had the first dibs on Last Remnant. I just never edited the first post. :p

Krowley said:
The general consensus is that all the new stuff was announced at this conference. I'm not sure were that consensus developed from. Respectable posters are backing it so i'm inclined to take their word for it until I hear otherwise.
The point of pre-show press conferences is usually to get all the information out there on what will be shown at the show itself. Why would they reveal some, but not all things at a press conference? What would they gain by holding off an additional several dozen hours so they can release it NOT at a press conference?

d+pad

I have to say, I would have been far more interested in an event like this if SE was anything like it was 10 or even 20 years ago. My god, the company is a creative waste land - why can't it use the same creative juices it uses to constantly remake old games to make new ones? Have all the creative geniuses - the ones who developed FF4-7, for instance, or Secret of Mana or FF Tactics - left the company or something, because it sure seems like it.

The only game that piqued my interest at all from this conference is the FF4 remake, which is kind of sad - especially considering I'm pretty sure even after I plunk down the required $35 to buy it, I'll still probably prefer the SNES version.

If you ask me, SE is living on borrowed time as far as its position among the gaming elite is concerned. I look to many other developers to produce worthy games for the Wii, 360 and PS3 nowadays, and I'm guessing many others feel the same...

JoshuaJSlone said:
The point of pre-show press conferences is usually to get all the information out there on what will be shown at the show itself. Why would they reveal some, but not all things at a press conference? What would they gain by holding off an additional several dozen hours so they can release it NOT at a press conference?

Well, if you're right, how can you explain then the trailer of Super Smash Bros. Brawl at E3 2006 ?

Red Scarlet

I simply mean SO1 and 2 being rereleased, maybe giving people that never played 1 a shot at it, and 4 being announced. That's quite more important than the artstyle.

Ponn

Banned
I couldn't stomach reading this entire thread. Dissidia is giving me bad flashbacks to Ergheiz, FFIV REmake sounds pretty cool and the new IP sounds pretty cool.

I love how this console war has made the games irrelevant just that one side is getting more then the other from certain companies regardless how good they are. If Square is making games for Wii then fine, great, whatever. Keep in mind these developers are looking at how much they can make and its yet to be established how well received Square games are going be on the Wii. Square will definitely be testing the waters with DQ Swords and Crystal Chronicles but keep in mind if they make anything for Wii its not going to be something easily ported to any other system. I've said it time and time again thats going to be the wall with developers and Wii.

Since I do own a 360 and PS3 this new IP sounds great to me and I could care less which one it goes to now but it will be easy for Square to recoup any costs by having the ability to deliver it to either console.

Oh, and Square is still relevant.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I was also underwhelmed until 1up compared Crystal Bearers to Skies of Arcadia, my fav jRPG of last gen. :) That shot my interest past everything except Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. :)

And Ponn01, if Nintendo tried a 360 level console for $400 like Microsoft did, they'd be faltering behind the PS3 already with far worse support on the horizon.

Innotech

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
I was also underwhelmed until 1up compared Crystal Bearers to Skies of Arcadia, my fav jRPG of last gen. :) That shot my interest past everything except Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. :)

And Ponn01, if Nintendo tried a 360 level console for $400 like Microsoft did, they'd be faltering behind the PS3 already with far worse support on the horizon.
the whole point of the wii is to NOT do what the other systems are doing. but that doesnt mean it cant still get the same types of games. I can think of ways the wiimote could be beneficial to a RPG, especially a turn based one.

Ponn

Banned
vanguardian1 said:

Did I say anything about Nintendo not doing the right thing for themselves???

I'm just pointing out the disconnect with peoples expectations that just because Wii is selling well compared to the other consoles that they should suddenly be getting all this support. Let Square release the two games they are working on and see how they do first.

Sean*O

I am also underwhelmed.

I am the biggest FF fan there is, but if they refuse to release the main series on aything other than the PS3 then that's pretty much where I get off the FF train.

No way in hell I am spending the cash on a PS3 just for that game.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jamesfrom818 said:
If Tri-Ace is filled with a bunch of graphic whores then why did SO3 come out on the PS2?
Because the PS2 actually sells in Japan and worldwide? Unlike this generation, where there are two equally powerful consoles and the leader hasn't been decided yet.

Jammy

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Did I say anything about Nintendo not doing the right thing for themselves???

I'm just pointing out the disconnect with peoples expectations that just because Wii is selling well compared to the other consoles that they should suddenly be getting all this support. Let Square release the two games they are working on and see how they do first.

It's looking like a Wii game will easily match if not exceed a 360/PS3 game from S-E in terms of sales. Hasn't S-E already released a 360 game that bombed?

Jammy

Banned
icecream said:
Because the PS2 actually sells in Japan and worldwide? Unlike this generation, where there are two equally powerful consoles and the leader hasn't been decided yet.

:lol (moreso for Japan)

icecream said:

You know, the least powerful system of the current gen is selling like hotcakes too. Why doesn't the same reason that worked for the last batch of consoles work for the new batch?

Eteric Rice

Innotech said:
I doubt the case is nintendo fans not wanting anything on the other systems. Im pretty sure a lot of them dont care. but what they do care about is that the Wii seems to not have its own huge budget flagship main title. Not even an original IP yet. Thats why they are disappointed. I dont give a **** how many shit FF games go to any certain platform as long as the people who own a wii have something substantial to play on the system form Square. Its only fair considering how utterly dominant the Wii is in Japan. By all means enjoy the shitty FF games as you always have, and Ill hate them as I always have, but some people who own Nintendo systems would like some Square love too. And the Wii can DEFINITELY do cinematic large scale RPgs if the PSX and PS2 could do them. Its a joke to say otherwise.

Exactly.

Bebpo

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
If Tri-Ace is filled with a bunch of graphic whores then why did SO3 come out on the PS2?

PS2 didn't look that different from the Xbox/GC. One could argue that the best PS2 games look better than the best GC/Xbox games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
PS2 didn't look that different from the Xbox/GC. One could argue that the best PS2 games look better than the best GC/Xbox games.
that'll be a really stupid argument tho.

Eteric Rice

Bebpo said:

And with that, this thread will now roll over and the arguement will start all over again.

jokerpopcorn.gif

Top Bottom