• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Press Conference thread

Bebpo

Banned
Jammy said:
Yeah, some PS2 games looked REALLY nice, but SO3 wasn't one of them. :lol

For its time in what, 2003 or something? SO3 at 480p, 60fps and completely clean with no jaggies was AMAZING from a tech-perspective just like VP2 at 720p (through code, though seems upscaled), 60fps, and strong lighting recently was as well.

Innotech

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
You know, the least powerful system of the current gen is selling like hotcakes too. Why doesn't the same reason that worked for the last batch of consoles work for the new batch?
Square has a hardon for sony. Im serious thats pretty much the only reason.

Is tri-ace a bunch of graphics geeks or TECH geeks? If they're tech geeks it's not surprising they choose PS2 as it was probably the most off beat architecture of the three... and in general frankly.

StevieP

Banned
Bebpo said:
For its time in what, 2003 or something? SO3 at 480p, 60fps and completely clean with no jaggies was AMAZING from a tech-perspective just like VP2 at 720p (through code, though seems upscaled), 60fps, and strong lighting recently was as well.

There.Was.No.AA.On.The.PS2

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Jonnyram/DCharlie/etc...

It looks like LR will be CERO-fied in Japan.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/skyevn/img_27645_5682002_3.jpg

If you've seen the US pics, there is that same spray from the next when killing an enemy except it is RED instead of GREY. :\
WTf'nF... do Japanese gamers just prefer that or something? *sigh* Probably won't have much choice about which version to play either. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be in the options?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jamesfrom818 said:
You know, the least powerful system of the current gen is selling like hotcakes too. Why doesn't the same reason that worked for the last batch of consoles work for the new batch?
Because maybe MS got to them first and offered them tons of money to develop for them?

Mefisutoferesu said:
Is tri-ace a bunch of graphics geeks or TECH geeks? If they're tech geeks it's not surprising they choose PS2 as it was probably the most off beat architecture of the three... and in general frankly.
Yes, they are about pushing console technology to its limits... it's just so happens that an effect of pushing a console above and beyond is stunning visuals. :)

icecream said:
Yes, they are about pushing console technology to its limits... it's just so happens that an effect of pushing a console above and beyond is stunning visuals. :)
Unfortunately, no, that's not always the case. See, if you're a hardware geek, then potentially the PS2 is something very different and interesting to work on. Being a tech geek isn't about pushing hardware necsesarily, yeah they can go hand in hand, but more about having fun and an interest in playing around with new and different hardware, like PS2. There's been numerous devs that have gone on to say as much, as well. Take Crmack for example, Doom3's engine was basically born from his desire to make a unified lighting engine. He was tinkering in that geeky sort of way some devs do with hardware like the PS2. There's a difference from getting a pretty, high performance engine and geeky tinkering.

Datschge

phez said:
so, according to this thread, infinite undiscovery is going to be a feast for the eyes ?
1009_0001.jpg

StevieP

Banned
Bebpo said:
You can have a very clean image without AA at 480p depending on your visual style and how good of programmer you are.

Clean image is one thing, lack of jaggies is another. You said lack of jaggies.

Bebpo

Banned
StevieP said:
Clean image is one thing, lack of jaggies is another. You said lack of jaggies.

Step 1. Put SO3 into my PS3
Step 2. Look at it
Reaction. Wow, looks so clean and I don't see jaggies anywhere.

I think you're a little jumpy today =P

1009_0001.jpg

Still pretty much the best looking HD game pic at this point.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Mefisutoferesu said:
Unfortunately, no, that's not always the case. See, if you're a hardware geek, then potentially the PS2 is something very different and interesting to work on. Being a tech geek isn't about pushing hardware necsesarily, yeah they can go hand in hand, but more about having fun and an interest in playing around with new and different hardware, like PS2.
Well in this case, Tri-Ace is known for pushing consoles in terms of its capabilities. In order to do that, one would have to have an interest in pushing around the hardware in ways that others wouldn't. I'm not sure what the point of discering the term is when my original statement was to distinguish them as not developers who focus solely on producing the nicest picture possible but utilizing the best of what they have.

Bebpo said:
It really is nice.

Bebpo said:
Step 1. Put SO3 into my PS3
Step 2. Look at it
Reaction. Wow, looks so clean and I don't see jaggies anywhere.

I think you're a little jumpy today =P

neah he is a hater. He said motorstorm was "quite jaggy."

Have all the creative geniuses - the ones who developed FF4-7, for instance, or Secret of Mana or FF Tactics - left the company or something, because it sure seems like it.

FF4's design team (6 people) is all still there except for Sakaguchi. Secret of Mana's design team (5 people) is all there except for Goro Ohashi (battle system design, left for Sacnoth) although level designer Toshiyuki Inoue transferred to the PR department so he's not really working directly on games anymore.

StevieP

Banned
Bebpo said:

Find a non-bullshot. That has faked FSAA, so it's not going to look like that on your screen. Aside from that, the texture work and the lighting in that photo is great.

neah he is a hater. He said motorstorm was "quite jaggy."

928393_20070305_screen010.jpg

I'm a hater? Correct me if I'm blind, but I see jaggies in that photo. At the very best, there is 2xAA applied (which, on most LCD sets, renders it almost moot).

jrricky

Banned
two words: This Sucks...

...scratch that, gotta vent - where is the original wii IP square, everyones doing it, so stop lollygagging and jump on the train. thanx.:)

Red Scarlet

StevieP said:
Find a non-bullshot. That has faked FSAA, so it's not going to look like that on your screen. Aside from that, the texture work and the lighting in that photo is great.

928393_20070305_screen010.jpg

I'm a hater? Correct me if I'm blind, but I see jaggies in that photo. At the very best, there is 2xAA applied (which, on most LCD sets, renders it almost moot).

Um, who cares? Does a jaggy make a game unplayable or what?

StevieP

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Um, who cares? Does a jaggy make a game unplayable or what?

No. But people think the HD consoles are capable of all kinds of FSAA thanks to the bullshots, and it's just wrong. (Hell, some people even want it on the Wii, and that's just ridiculous). Thanks to the 10mb framebuffer, engines on the 360 have to use tiled AA instead of FSAA. And if devs want to do HDR on the PS3, they have to put more effort than it takes for 24-bit frames on Wii. Everytime I see a bullshot posted and people getting excited, I cringe. Then when REAL screens get released (case in point, the leaked Mass Effect screens, or the Beautiful Katamari screens) people bitch endlessly about "downgrade" etc etc. These are the same people who wander into Wii threads, where bullshots are the exception rather than the rule, and bitch endlessly how much better they could look with AA/AF etc etc (wherein those effects are extremely rare on the HD consoles as well).

That said, those whole discussion came to be because of the ridiculous discussions that took place in this thread (i.e. PS2 > GC/XBox visuals, clean image, Motorstorm hater, publishers don't control devs - processors do, apparently, etc etc). To be honest, this thread shouldn't be open anymore. It's so far off course that you're better off sticking to the summary thread for this same damn information without the trainwrecks.

Top Bottom