• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread of PS3 Trophy Whoring & gamer leveling (also FAQ)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
shidoshi said:
So, I hit level 2 yesterday (god damn you Sony for figuring out a way for me to actually care about achievement points), and noticed that I'm already a decent way to level 3.

What I'm wondering is if Sony has built any kind of scaling at all into the level system. If it's going to take the exact same amount of points to get to each next level, that's going to kind of take some of the fun out of the whole system.

No, there's a certain number of points needed that differ from level to level. All of which happens, as Sony says, "behind the scenes" so that we'll never know exactly how many.

slider

Dammit. Was in my US account (incoveniently named in an uber-cutesy-way after my cat) and DLing the Siren demo. Whilst waiting I jumped onto SSHD and a) set the highest score I've ever had (43 million!) and won some trohpies I don't have on my main account.

Do people normally name their other region accounts similarly to their main account? I know there's no way to transfer the trophies but I'll ask anyway... can I transfer the trophies? :(

Durante

chubigans said:
All of which happens, as Sony says, "behind the scenes" so that we'll never know exactly how many.
I actually doubt that claim. I wouldn't put it past people to reverse engineer the point value of every single trophy and the points required for each level by measuring the progress bar.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Q. When an older game has trophies patched in, will they retroactively be awarded for things you accomplished?

A. Supposedly yes. In practice, so far, no. Trophies patched into older title can be awarded automatically, according to Sony. I can confirm that this is NOT the case with SSHD, though. I loaded the game up and installed the trophy patch, but NO trophies were given to me, despite having met the requirements of several of them.
I thought they said that trophies wouldnt retroactively be rewarded. Was that just a false rumour?

Wollan

psycho_snake said:
I thought they said that trophies wouldnt retroactively be rewarded. Was that just a false rumour?
A few select games have user-locked save files. Those can be retroactively rewarded (Burnout Paradise is getting a patch for that).

psycho_snake said:
Depends on the game. If the game locked your Save game to your account then there's no problem in doing that. Burnout is doing it for example. But if the saves game doesn't lock to your account then Sony doesn't allow it so people can't cheat.

*Edit* Damn you Wollan!! :p

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Wollan said:
A few select games have user-locked save files. Those can be retroactively rewarded (Burnout Paradise is getting a patch for that).
So will games like MGS4 and DMC4 not have retroactively awarded trophies because they dont have user-locked save files (atleast I think they dont)?

I dont really know how all this works, but when a dev releases a trophy patch for a certain game, couldnt they also include a mode that allows you to lock save files?

Wollan

Probably but nothing you had earned prior to the lock will be rewarded. It's the way to go though to make old games trophy compatible.

In any case, I doubt you will see many old games getting patched for this. At the end of the year I expect there to be just 6-7 games released prior to 2.40 fw upgrade that get's patched. It's all about what's coming out really.

What we know for now (old games) is Uncharted, Warhawk, SSHD & Burnout.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so, platinum trophies... are they just going to be completion awards, or will they be insane stuff like BB emblem in MGS4 for instance?

robochimp

Brobzoid said:
so, platinum trophies... are they just going to be completion awards, or will they be insane stuff like BB emblem in MGS4 for instance?

I'm sure that would be a gold trophy which you would need for the platinum

Brobzoid

ahhh, so that's how it works. I hope they are a little creative with it though. making you do stuff that's not integral to the progression through the game. for instance I'm playing skate now, and one thing that would be a cool trophy is managing to jump over the hood of car. or other things that are challenges in themselves but are totally whimsical or unrelated to the progression of the game.

kinda sad that the platinum trophy isn't some insane task though, because then it would be few people who had them and they would carry more weight, so to speak... for example if the platinum trophy in megaman 9 (which is a psn game, but assuming it had a platinum) was beat the entire game with just the buster and no Es or something.... by having gold as the highest reward for a single trophy they are kinda setting the bar for how difficult they can be.

Remy

Brobzoid said:
kinda sad that the platinum trophy isn't some insane task though, because then it would be few people who had them and they would carry more weight, so to speak... for example if the platinum trophy in megaman 9 (which is a psn game, but assuming it had a platinum) was beat the entire game with just the buster and no Es or something.... by having gold as the highest reward for a single trophy they are kinda setting the bar for how difficult they can be.

I'm not sure I follow.

Let's say you're a developer, and you want to have some crazy stupid trophy requirements, like the one you described. So you make all of those Gold trophies.

Then anyone who has the platinum trophy is insane enough to have earned all the gold trophies, by definition.

Also remember that the "level" of the trophy (bronze/silver/gold) doesn't necessarily reflect on their point value. All Gold trophies are not necessarily worth the same.

Wollan

Brobzoid said:
This doesn't make sense. They could put the most insane challenge to a gold trophy if they want to. If you had a specific challenge for the platinum it would be just like any other trophy. Now it works as a 'Critical hit' (to the XP) and a reason to get every trophy.

Brobzoid

I struggled writing my previous post. mostly because I haven't slept in some time and there is a certain level of alcohol still in me. But what I'm trying to get at is the basis of what makes trophies cool is comparing yourself to others. and when you are looking over what a person has of trophies, if you only see he has 3 gold trophies for mgs, that could be anything, could be some simple shit that isn't difficult at all, or it could be some balls to the wall hard shit. but it doesn't immediately jump at at you because you gold for just completing a game, which is most likely quite doable.

Wollan

You could just read the trophy description. In any case, you will always have varying difficulties earning whatever trophy/achievement depending on the dev.
An extra trophy wouldn't fix that.

XonoX

Is it just my connection or does it take ages to see a friend's trophies ?

I get spinning icons for about 20 seconds some times before it shows up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
XonoX said:

yeah, it's pretty slow. Hope they fix this like they did with PS Store icons.

h3ro

XonoX said:

I think its the connection. I was using my wireless connection and it would take forever for the PSN Profile cards and trophy lists to show up, but after switching to wired, loads up pretty much right away.

nofi

Wollan said:
What we know for now (old games) is Uncharted, Warhawk, SSHD & Burnout.

And Buzz!, Novastrike and Pain. And possibly Heavenly Sword, Monsters, Ferrari Challenge.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Quick question about friends list and their status. Didn't think this needed it's own thread.

Does the game being played under your name also include demos? Or is it just full games?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Teetris said:
Quick question about friends list and their status. Didn't think this needed it's own thread.

Does the game being played under your name also include demos? Or is it just full games?

Demos as well.

nofi said:
And Buzz!, Novastrike and Pain. And possibly Heavenly Sword, Monsters, Ferrari Challenge.

Heavenly Sword ? I've read confirmation or at least rumours/statements about the others but this is the 1st I've read about HS. Since Ninja Theory has moved on I figured the chances of this are zero.

Then again they patched Lair months later with analog controls ...

nofi

Top Bottom