• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Agent Icebeezy said:
Can we buy marketplace cards at launch?
Looks like a 1600 point card will be $20. Of course, I'm sure that you can just charge all your marketplace purchases to the credit/debit card you have on file with XBL as well. The card is just a good alternative for people who want to limit themselves, or don't have a credit card on file.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Cool, cool. I see them on Gamestop.com as well. Since that is where I'm getting everything from. I'll get a couple of those

Prine

Banned
Great thread

Paid for Kameo, PDZ, Oblivion, DOA 4 and PGR3

:D

The only games im looking foward to like i was for M64 are Kameo and PDZ. Cannot wait!

Ahh the headset is bad for me since I'd only be able to listen on my (sometimes) deaf ear. D: Boooo. :(

Edit:
Xbox 360 Headset
Trash-talk opponents or discuss strategies with your Xbox Live teammates.

>:| How encouraging.

Mrbob

Matlock said:
xbox-360-faq-20050512085639199-000.jpg

Official--rounded bottom, start and select on either side of the guide button, genesis-esque D-Pad.

xbox360neosecontroller25ih.jpg

Joytech: boxier front (quasi-wavebird look), weird concave d-pad, Xbox 1 start/select placement.

802153b.jpg

MadCatz: Fat handles, tiger stripe grips, start/select above the guide button, nintend-style d-pad. Looks like an obese Joytech.

Ouch.

Mad Catz may want to go through a redesign again.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Here's a repost of my damage report from a previous X360 thread with a few alterations. I'm planning on only picking up two games unless the others manage to really impress me or if there's a draught after Christmas.

TekunoRobby said:
For Launch Day:
Xbox 360 Standard System- $399.99
Xbox 360 VGA HD/AV Cable - $39.99
Project Gotham Racing 3 - $49.99
Total (including tax): $524.27

Before Christmas:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Collector's Edition - $69.99
Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit - $19.99
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller - $49.99
Total (including tax): $149.77

Possible Purchases:
Perfect Dark Zero: Limited Collector's Edition - $59.99
Dead or Alive 4 - $59.99
Condemned: Criminal Origins - $59.99
Kameo: Elements of Power - $49.99
Ridge Racer 6 - $59.99
Total (including tax): $310.25

The 'For Launch Day' and 'Before Christmas' purchases are essential so the grand total for those two will be a grizzly $674.04. These aren't including the random Xbox Live Arcade titles and assorted Online Marketplace items that I will be purchasing since there aren't any solid pricing schemes available for them. The 'Possible Purchases' category are the games I wish to pickup but might not be able to due to the ridiculous amount of cash I'd be spending on the other systems as well.

Yusaku

DarknessTear said:
Ahh the headset is bad for me since I'd only be able to listen on my (sometimes) deaf ear. D: Boooo. :(

Edit:

>:| How encouraging.

I'm deaf in one ear as well, and pretty much every headset out there lets you swivel the mic to the other side you can wear it the other way.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SyNapSe said:
Great thread Ami, Mat, and TekunoRobby! Really, that's exceptionally well done.
I appreciate the thanks but I don't deserve it, the credit goes to Amir0x for setting it up and Matlock for doing almost all of the game previews. I only managed to do three sadly, didn't have enough time to do the rest.

Matlock

Banned
No thanks needed, just figured I'd do something with the press releases and screens lying around. Besides, I can't troll all the time.

KingJ2002

what would be a good addition to this thread (or another sticky)... is a sort of guide for HDTV's that will show members which tv's depending on size and type would be best for gamers looking to game in HD on launch day.

belgurdo

Banned
I tried this out in Walmart. Of the two playable demos, I liked Kameo moreso than Call of Duty. Unfortunately, every damn dork in the store were basically "lol guns" so I had to kill time browsing while they finished running around in circles and getting blown up. The graphics are very smooth, although in Call of Duty the animations really need work.

Is anyoen else impressed by how light the controller feels? Feels like you're holding a pillow or something. Commendations to MS for getting rid of the bulky middle piece memory card holder thing.

I'll probably start off with buying Kameo and Oblivion (if I don't get it for PC first)

Mrbob

belgurdo said:
I tried this out in Walmart. Of the two playable demos, I liked Kameo moreso than Call of Duty. Unfortunately, every damn dork in the store were basically "lol guns" so I had to kill time browsing while they finished running around in circles and getting blown up. The graphics are very smooth, although in Call of Duty the animations really need work.

Is anyoen else impressed by how light the controller feels? Feels like you're holding a pillow or something. Commendations to MS for getting rid of the bulky middle piece memory card holder thing.

I'll probably start off with buying Kameo and Oblivion (if I don't get it for PC first)

Yeah the controller feels great. The analog grips are tightened up and the stick sensitivity is as well. Plus the backside of the controller is contoured to make it comfortable to hold. Easily the new standard to which all controllers will be judged. So niccccccccccceeeeee.

Lo-Volt

Matlock said:
xbox-360-faq-20050512085639199-000.jpg

Official--rounded bottom, start and select on either side of the guide button, genesis-esque D-Pad.

xbox360neosecontroller25ih.jpg

Joytech: boxier front (quasi-wavebird look), weird concave d-pad, Xbox 1 start/select placement.

802153b.jpg

MadCatz: Fat handles, tiger stripe grips, start/select above the guide button, nintend-style d-pad. Looks like an obese Joytech.

God are those third-party units embarrassments, but it is MadCatz, after all (I have no experience with Joytech, but their controller certainly looks bad). A waste of precious global resources. It looks a lot like another generation where I'm sticking to first-party control devices and eschewing this questionable licensed stuff.

Shogun

At Launch
-----------
XBox 360 Premium Pack
Condemned
PD0

In the Year
-------------
Kameo
More Controller

On a side note, other than the bundles is there anyway to get live cheaper? I never had an XBox part of the reasoning for this is getting XBox Backwards Compatibility. Since I have the Premium Pack I don't need the headset, so the headset subsidized in the bundle seems pointless.

GhaleonEB

Shogun said:
At Launch
-----------
XBox 360 Premium Pack
Condemned
PD0

In the Year
-------------
Kameo
More Controller

On a side note, other than the bundles is there anyway to get live cheaper? I never had an XBox part of the reasoning for this is getting XBox Backwards Compatibility. Since I have the Premium Pack I don't need the headset, so the headset subsidized in the bundle seems pointless.

Just buy one of the subscription cards, ~$50.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KingJ2002 said:
what would be a good addition to this thread (or another sticky)... is a sort of guide for HDTV's that will show members which tv's depending on size and type would be best for gamers looking to game in HD on launch day.

Let me break it down for non-millionaire, non-AV snobs, once and for all.

The best possible set for gaming is a CRT. Conveniently, they are currently the cheapest, if jumbo and annoying. To buy one, simply make sure you can check ALL of the following points.

* Widescreen (vital, trust me)
* HDMI video in (because you will be pissed when PS3 comes out if you don't)
* 30+ inches
* Brand name (Samsung, Sony, LG and Philips are safest in terms of quality and mode support)
* Make sure it can DISPLAY a 720p image - even though it scales it to 1080i)
* Get a back brace because the motherfucker is HEAVY.
* Get AV furniture with wheels, or you aint never plugging nothin' in again.
* Get a component switchbox (Pelican and Joytech both make sweet ones)

If you are rich or an AV snob, this list is not for you.

EGM92

quick question, in the main post it shows the x360 MCE controller, is that the one we actually get with the Premium package? I thought it was some stubby remote with less buttons that Allard or someone was holding at E3

Yusaku

Stinkles said:
* Get AV furniture with wheels, or you aint never plugging nothin' in again.
* Get a component switchbox (Pelican and Joytech both make sweet ones)

If you are rich or an AV snob, this list is not for you.

I just use a TV-swivel so I can get to the back of my TV.

Also, Pelican switchboxes are junk. Hell, any game-branded switch box is pretty much gauranteed to fail on you within a year or two.

Yusaku

EGM92 said:
quick question, in the main post it shows the x360 MCE controller, is that the one we actually get with the Premium package? I thought it was some stubby remote with less buttons that Allard or someone was holding at E3

No, the pack-in remote is only in there for a limited time. It's smaller and lacks the numeric keypad. Too bad, because you can use that to type cell-phone style.

EGM92

Wait the one that is a limited time only is the big controller? and after 2005 they put in the small stubby one?

Acosta

Anyone have had a experience buying american Xbox and living in Europe? I would like to know if it´s possible to connect to Live! from Europe with an american Xbox 360 and that could be a good clue to know it.

Instead unsecure what I want to purchase, I have almost discarded a japanese Xbox 360 now, and I´m between the comfortability of purchasing a home version system and the security of a better lineup and better dates of an american system. It would depend about Live (I was not interested, but Arcade sounds fantastic...) and other factors.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

By the way, congratulations and thanks for the thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you route all game audio through a communicator headset? It'd be a nice option for when the wife wants some peace and quiet, especially with it being wireless.

Lo-Volt

Yusaku said:
No, after 2005 (or whenever the deal ends) there wont be a pack-in remote at all. When the two packages were first announce it was announced that the premium would only have a remote for a limited time.

This is what really worries me about Microsoft's approach. Depending on what happens, I want to support the Xbox 360 this generation, but not until next spring. Now that Microsoft has employed a dual SKU approach, what guarantee is there that Microsoft won't pull a remote-snatch with, say, the headset, wireless controller or the hard drive? Am I going to walk into a GameStop and see that the premium pack has changed into something I didn't expect or want? Microsoft could easily alter the proportions or the content of their SKUs, or even kill the good pack to force us to buy overpriced, slow spinning HDDs. >=|

hyp

according to joystiq

When Nick arrived at the kiosk he was shocked to find the output settings locked on 480i resolution (4:30 screen ratio)—on a 720p native LCD (it’s ugly, folks). Not exactly the way to attract consumers… Microsoft had better straighten out their reps—and give Wal-Mart employees a crash course while they’re at it!

this could explain why sp0rks thought kameo was fugly.

For those not having a chance to play yet - Best Buy is scheduled to get their demo until in today and setup by tomorrow.

And according to the latest Major Nelson Blogcast , the retail demo units are not final units and have not been optimized so call off the unit failure dogs.

It is however another dumbass MS public impression move having failing hardware on the floor.

EDIT - More from Major Nelson cast:

Privacy Settings will allow all gamer card info to be viewable/not viewable.
Only GamerTag - Picture - Zone - Rep - Gamer Score will not be able to be hidden by the user.

This will keep those from snooping into your game play (times/dates/games) so if you call off from work to play Halo 3, your boss won't be able to bust you. :D

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Pretty cool quote I saw on a Mac news site:

www.macnn.com said:
Microsoft vice president and XNA chief architect J Allard expressed in an interview with ign.com his hopes to be more cooperative with other companies, such as Apple, when speaking about the XBox 360, and the ability to plug an iPod into the device. Allen said: "I'm pro consumer on this one to the end. Anybody in my company who thought this was a bad idea to plug in Sony or Apple devices into this thing, I ended that conversation pretty quickly. This is the right thing to do for consumers. Once they invest $500 in their digital media library, you can't ask them to go buy a 360 music player and a 360 digital camera, and a 360... NO! They got their stuff. They're going to want to plug it in. We're going to be open here, guys. And if anything, I wish we could be more cooperative with the other companies that are doing those things. And if Sony or Apple were to call me up and say, "hey, we want to [do] some special things with the 360," i'm on it. I think it would not be in anybody's interest to say, we're not going to work with 360. It's good for them, it's good for us, and it's good for consumers."

123rl

Wow, something from Allard that I respect and agree with. Hopefully this is more than just PR speak and he's going to pursue this properly

Yusaku

Lo-Volt said:
This is what really worries me about Microsoft's approach. Depending on what happens, I want to support the Xbox 360 this generation, but not until next spring. Now that Microsoft has employed a dual SKU approach, what guarantee is there that Microsoft won't pull a remote-snatch with, say, the headset, wireless controller or the hard drive? Am I going to walk into a GameStop and see that the premium pack has changed into something I didn't expect or want? Microsoft could easily alter the proportions or the content of their SKUs, or even kill the good pack to force us to buy overpriced, slow spinning HDDs. >=|

The difference is that the headset and everything else don't have the "limited time" disclaimer, while the remote does. They're not going to change the contents of the package without an announcement.

Rorschach

If I'm currently a Live subscriber, will I be able to use it on the 360? Will I have to pay for an account for each console? I still have time on my Live account and I will still want to play Madden on Xbox.

I'll be getting Madden, PGR, Racing wheel, and the play and charge kit. That's 672 bucks not counting the games I want to get for the other systems.

Rorschach said:
If I'm currently a Live subscriber, will I be able to use it on the 360? Will I have to pay for an account for each console? I still have time on my Live account and I will still want to play Madden on Xbox.

I'll be getting Madden, PGR, Racing wheel, and the play and charge kit. That's 672 bucks not counting the games I want to get for the other systems.

Your current account will work for both the xbox and 360. You can only be logged in to one at a time however.

Just make an MSN Passport if you don't have one already. Then once xbox.com comes back up tomorrow, you can link it to your gamertag. Once you get your xbox 360, you log in once with your Passport and the account transfers.

MetalAlien

Banned
Hey I got to play an XB360 at walmart today.. Kameo.. was in..

Looks GREAT... every bit as good as the FMV we used to get in the intro of PS1/Saturn games and on the covers of the old game mags... except the edges... All the textures look incredible, the lighting, the effects, the models.... everything is wondeful... but the edge of everything still looks as rough as anything this gen... Maybe they will fix this later in the life of the new machines....

You know, back when the 3DO, PS1, Saturn, Jaguar, and Model3 were all new and we were dreaming of what games would look like 10 years from then. I don't think any of us had any idea that the edges of the objects in the game would be the hardest to perfect.

Still can't wait, the games otherwise look like old CGI... that's fantasic!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gears of War in Feb!

Methinks this list moight have some uh, guesswork in it.

And why is Ridge Racer on the 23rd?

Rorschach

krypt0nian said:
Your current account will work for both the xbox and 360. You can only be logged in to one at a time however.

Just make an MSN Passport if you don't have one already. Then once xbox.com comes back up tomorrow, you can link it to your gamertag. Once you get your xbox 360, you log in once with your Passport and the account transfers.
Cool. Thanks for the reply. I already have a passport (had to have one for Halo 2, anyway).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
System is paid in full.

At launch I'm going to get Ridge Racer 6, possibly an extra wireless controller, and either one or two of these:

Kameo: Elements of Power
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Madden 2006
Perfect Dark Zero LE

At the end of the month, when I get my bonus, I'll probably pick up another game or two (maybe Oblivion), and some a Play 'n Charge kit and an extra batter pack.

lexi

Banned
Doesn't release till next year in Australia and it can still be called a Worldwide Release? I call shenanigans.

Amir0x

Banned
lockii said:
Doesn't release till next year in Australia and it can still be called a Worldwide Release? I call shenanigans.

Long time no see, lockii. Australia is the dustbin of the world, batteries not included :(

Yusaku

Finally checked out my local Walmart. The first thing you should do when you check out the kiosk is go into the video settings and make sure it's set to 720p. Not suprisingly the kiosk was set to 480p at the one I was at.

Frankly the demos sucked. Kameo might be a cool game, but the demo just makes you jump through hoops, you don't really get to do anything interesting, unless it gets better later on. Graphically it looks just like you see in the videos. I swear to god it looks like 360 games still have anisotropic filtering turned off. I can take some jaggies, but there's no fucking chance I'm going through next gen with blurry ground textures.

COD2 was the most playable. Suprisingly the 360 controller seems quite a bit better for FPS games than the Controller S. Somehow they managed to make the analog thumb even better. The final game better be able to do a constant 60 fps though, the drops in framerate were disapointing.

I didn't know what the fuck was going on in King Kong because the game is ultra dark, which sucks to play in a retail setting.

I didn't actually play any of the demos all the way through, because HOLY FUCK my neck was hurting. Who the hell designed those inline kiosks? Imagine if you were a kid, you'd be staring STRAIGHT UP.

The most interesting thing is playing around the dashboard. Either those are special demo units, or there's some way to put the dashboard into kiosk mode. You can poke around through a lot, but going into stuff like the marketplace or XBLA will bring up a screen describing what you clicked on, instead of taking you to the actual part of the dashboard.

Burger

lockii said:

Totally. Considering Aus/Nz is a bigger market than Japan ever was.

Way to kick us in the nuts MS.

EGM92

Yusaku said:
Finally checked out my local Walmart. The first thing you should do when you check out the kiosk is go into the video settings and make sure it's set to 720p. Not suprisingly the kiosk was set to 480p at the one I was at.

Frankly the demos sucked. Kameo might be a cool game, but the demo just makes you jump through hoops, you don't really get to do anything interesting, unless it gets better later on. Graphically it looks just like you see in the videos. I swear to god it looks like 360 games still have anisotropic filtering turned off. I can take some jaggies, but there's no fucking chance I'm going through next gen with blurry ground textures.

COD2 was the most playable. Suprisingly the 360 controller seems quite a bit better for FPS games than the Controller S. Somehow they managed to make the analog thumb even better. The final game better be able to do a constant 60 fps though, the drops in framerate were disapointing.

I didn't know what the fuck was going on in King Kong because the game is ultra dark, which sucks to play in a retail setting.

I didn't actually play any of the demos all the way through, because HOLY FUCK my neck was hurting. Who the hell designed those inline kiosks? Imagine if you were a kid, you'd be staring STRAIGHT UP.

The most interesting thing is playing around the dashboard. Either those are special demo units, or there's some way to put the dashboard into kiosk mode. You can poke around through a lot, but going into stuff like the marketplace or XBLA will bring up a screen describing what you clicked on, instead of taking you to the actual part of the dashboard.

Well damn that doesn't sound promising for Kameo lol. As for the units themselves they're "pre production" models. So those units will probably be the only ones containing the Kiosk mode and the final retail units will be a bit different, did you get a chance to poke around the kiosk itself? did you see the external PSU anywhere?

Top Bottom