• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

swordsman

Banned
(Holland)
Well after my work, I went to my local game store.
Some games are already for sale: Kingkong, Call of duty 2, Amped 3 ...
No PGR 3 or PDZ.

Some hardwares:
Wired joypad, play and charge kit , wireless network, Live kit for3 moths or 12.
1600 micropoints.

My order status is still unknown>have to wait for dec 2nd >crap, because they still haven't received the xbox360s yet or the clerk just lied.

----
Wow a good deal: 10 old xbox games + 110 E for a xbox360.
--
Most of the xbxo360 games will cost E 64.99

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK, need some help to choose a possible extra game for my 360. GAME are doing a condemned + 4 games bundle. My 4 would be PGR3, PDZ, COD2 and Kong (sounds fun)

But it might be possible to switch it for a Kong + 4 bundle (condemned and Kong are switchable with other bundles). If that happens, what do you recommend for the 4th game?

I don't want condemned, RR isn't out yet, and Kameo leaves me cold.

newsguy

mrklaw said:
I don't want condemned

I recommend you quit gaming altogether. Seriously though, Condemned is a very cool game and first person view doesn't seem to bother you considering CoD2 and PDZ are on your list. Give it a try... at night... with the lights off.

I've been an Xbox live subscriber for almost 3 years this Feb.

It has had it's ups and downs; there is too much hate over it.

I played live on the 360, and there has been major improvements. I made a new gamer profile with a new live account, i'm 17btw. Since i'm under 18, my "parents" had to finish registering. When that was done, i started playing, but i couldn't hear anyone talking. I was like wtf? I went into the parental settings, and since i was under 18 i had to have parent approved friends, i couldn't talk, send pics to anyone that wasn't on my friends list. Thats a huge step for all those 13yr old trash talkers. I loved it.

I played madden, and as soon as the game was over, i had 2 options; Leave game or Leave feedback. I left feedback, and it gave me the option to refer the player or not. I looked at the guys gamercard and it actually shows a percentage of the people that leave him negative feedback for certain things, i.e. cheating, bad language. That is really really cool.

PGR 3 was the same thing. Before the race i had the option to view gamercards, and after, leave feedback. It's not only more convienent, but more effective. If nobody likes to play with you and leave you bad feedback, you wont be matched with anyone.

I also noticed a section that said Formal complaint, or something simular. I didn't look into it, but hopefully i wont have to.

The Live experience just got impossibly better.

I loved live on my xbox, and i think i'm going to fall in love all over again.

Prine

Banned
Good and bad news.

Good, guaranteed X360 on Friday (UK)

Bad, 2 week wait for X360 (US)

Final decision: Buy both

I cant wait any longer to play PDZ and Kameo

Kameo was an amazing experience on the first run through. Now its trying to figure out the rankings/ratings that have me perplexed.

And Neptunes, it might help if you played more of it. I noticed a distinct lack of playtime on your gamercard. ;)

Joe

ive microtransacted and ive faceplated...im MS's bitch.

oh and the woody is awesome, it blends in perfectly with my wood tv stand.

Joe

did anyone watch ign's hardware video on the xbox360 around launch time with fran doing the entire thing? what a dork. the weight of the 360 is nowhere near as heavy as he suggested, the faceplate is nowhere near as hard and complicated as he made it out to be (actually pretty easy), and actually took a dig at MS for putting instructions on how to remove the hard drive on the bottom of the hard drive...meanwhile the instructions are how to put the hard drive back on. YOU LOSE FRAN. YOU LOSE.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The only faceplate that looks awsome to me so far was the pgr3 one, its the only one that looks worth my money

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
iceDragon7 said:
I want to see what my Zero Hour faceplate looks like first. Otherwise I'd buy the first one on that page.

24_1.JPG

Not that hot imo.

swordsman

Banned
Yesterday after I have visited my local game store where I have reserved my Xbox360.
My question was still unanswered if I will have my box or not. I couldn't sleep well. Woke up all night.

Today I wanted to play it safe so I called to 4 local game stores in my town, to inform if they have any premium pack left. 3 of the 4 stores came up with (already sold out) and 1 is not certain.

Final call was to my main game store, and the clerk from yesterday told me that he just received the message that they have received at least 23 Premium packs. So I can smile now.

I get a day off from my work this Friday: main reason I have told my boss>>Campen for the Xbox360 :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
12.99 = Considerably more reasonable for a faceplate. I'd consider purchase at this price.

Anyway, what's this about IGN content over XB Marketplace?

Well, add me to the list of defective 360s.

It played fine for a week, and I've used it a lot. I was almost done with the second to last mission in Call of Duty 2 last night when the screen went white and my controller started vibrating. I turned it off and then back on again to find myself looking into three blinking red lights of death.

I've tried wiping down the power supply contacts, removing and replacing the Hard Drive... nothing. Sometimes it will boot to the menu and sometimes not. If I can get the menu, it will crash shortly after I try loading a game. Hard Drive problem? But then, it can find my profile, so I don't know.

Like everyone else, they're overnighting a box to me, and said it will take 3 business days to fix. I'm happy that they have such a quick turnaround, but I probably won't get it back until next week.. and I took all of this week off from work so I could check out all the games! :( Oh, well. It's better than the 3-6 week turnaround I was expecting.

One thing I'm kind of worried about: I hope that all of my saved games and Live Arcade purchases are intact when I get it back. I really don't feel like repurchasing anything or playing through my games again just to get to where I was. I'm considering buying a memory unit to try to back it up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to, but it might be worth it just for the peace of mind.

EGM92

heavy liquid said:

It played fine for a week, and I've used it a lot. I was almost done with the second to last mission in Call of Duty 2 last night when the screen went white and my controller started vibrating. I turned it off and then back on again to find myself looking into three blinking red lights of death.

I've tried wiping down the power supply contacts, removing and replacing the Hard Drive... nothing. Sometimes it will boot to the menu and sometimes not. If I can get the menu, it will crash shortly after I try loading a game. Hard Drive problem? But then, it can find my profile, so I don't know.

Like everyone else, they're overnighting a box to me, and said it will take 3 business days to fix. I'm happy that they have such a quick turnaround, but I probably won't get it back until next week.. and I took all of this week off from work so I could check out all the games! :( Oh, well. It's better than the 3-6 week turnaround I was expecting.

One thing I'm kind of worried about: I hope that all of my saved games and Live Arcade purchases are intact when I get it back. I really don't feel like repurchasing anything or playing through my games again just to get to where I was. I'm considering buying a memory unit to try to back it up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to, but it might be worth it just for the peace of mind.

Join the club. If your console isn't completely DEAD like mine was. try this. Bring the PSU/X360 Out into the open, straighten the PSU wire, the part that goes from PSU to the X360. Make sure there's no bends in the cable. My girlfriends X360 had the same problem as mine :( but we fixed it like that and it works problem is you have to keep that wire straight or it will keep crashing or you'll get the 3 red lights. It's the PSU that's giving everyone problems, they seem to be poorly made. Try it, if it works with the wire straightened call MS and tell them you want a new PSU ASAP.

****** DO NOT***** Don't play around with the PSU head that connects into the X360. You may fry the Xbox like I did to mine :(

Jeff-DSA

heavy liquid said:

I'm starting to fear for mine. I've seen most games start to chug after playing for a while and the drive is clicking REALLY loud when it's spinning. I'm going to buy the extended warranty on this thing because it just doesn't seem like it's going to make it over the long haul.

EGM92 said:
Join the club. If your console isn't completely DEAD like mine was. try this. Bring the PSU/X360 Out into the open, straighten the PSU wire, the part that goes from PSU to the X360. Make sure there's no bends in the cable. My girlfriends X360 had the same problem as mine :( but we fixed it like that and it works problem is you have to keep that wire straight or it will keep crashing or you'll get the 3 red lights. It's the PSU that's giving everyone problems, they seem to be poorly made. Try it, if it works with the wire straightened call MS and tell them you want a new PSU ASAP.

****** DO NOT***** Don't play around with the PSU head that connects into the X360. You may fry the Xbox like I did to mine :(

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but no dice. Some people have been talking about cleaning the contacts, setting the PSU on glass, giving it more ventilation, etc. Doesn't seem to help.

From what I understand:

4 red = check your av cable

2 red = over heating

3 red = internal problem (contact 1-800-4-my xbox)

Argyle

heavy liquid said:
Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but no dice. Some people have been talking about cleaning the contacts, setting the PSU on glass, giving it more ventilation, etc. Doesn't seem to help.

From what I understand:

4 red = check your av cable

2 red = over heating

3 red = internal problem (contact 1-800-4-my xbox)

From what I've been reading, it looks to me like the three red lights is a voltage problem - could be caused by a defective power supply, dirty contacts on the power supply, power supply not fully plugged in, dirty power/low voltage from the wall into the power supply, etc...

I have some common problems and how to fix them in my thread here:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=72695

Edit: You know, now that I think about it...I remember that I saw a bunch of machines flashing this error after a power outage (they worked fine after being rebooted) so I'm sure a power glitch would cause this.

At minimum try unplugging the power brick for a few minutes and plugging it back in, I'm sure you've tried it already, but I just thought I'd suggest it anyway...

DJ Sl4m

Any solid news on when the next shipments begin for the 360 ?

I'm not online much anymore, and last I heard it would be March, but somehow I figure they'll trickle in a few every few weeks to certain suppliers.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
EB Games just called me to confirm I'm coming to the midnight launch event on thurday, and they proceeded to give me 12 months of live service for the price of 3 (which was in the bundle i ordered) aswell. :lol :D

nubbe

My webstore has shipped my Euro box so I might get it tomorrow if I am lucky.
But they didn't ship any of the accessories or games I ordered. :/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1742&Itemid=2

GameStop says game tie-ratio and add-on peripheral sales for Xbox 360 are "higher than any release in our history". But overall, the company's store sales are down, year-on-year.
ImageReleasing Q3 figures today, the U.S.'s leading game retailer's chairman and CEO R. Richard Fontaine, said, "GameStop sold through every [Xbox360] we had and did so in record time. There is no question that both the core gamer and gift giver are very enthusiastic about this great product. In fact, our attach ratio of games and accessories to date has never been higher for any release in GameStop's history." No hard figures game sales have yet been released by Microsoft or its retail partners.

As expected, there are concerns about supplies. "The total hardware released to date in the U.S., and to GameStop, are far less than we had anticipated. While we expect to be supplied throughout the holiday season, the exact quantities to be shipped are not yet clear," said Fontaine.

Used games

GameStop's Q3 comparable store sales have decreased by 12% and the company has posted a loss of $2.5 million. The bad news for publishers? GameStop points to high used game sales as a positive.

The company blames a lack of killer titles during the last quarter, dragging down store sales. Losses are being blamed, partially, on the expenses involved in the merger with EB.

"We made significant progress during the third quarter to position ourselves for the fourth quarter and the long term," stated Fontaine. "We successfully completed our merger with Electronics Boutique, integration milestones are being met, and a number of best practices have already been cross-applied to the combined company."

Fontaine added, "Third quarter gross margins were positively effected by strong used videogames sales as value-driven customers became a larger factor in the face of rising gas prices and general economic uncertainty. During November we experienced weaker than expected new video game software sales mainly due to core customers waiting for the launch of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and to value consumers continuing to gravitate to used video games. We anticipate this trend to continue to a degree throughout the holiday season, with gross sales levels declining, but strong margin contributions supporting forecasted earnings.

In its updated guidance, GameStop said it expects comparable store sales in the fourth quarter to range between flat and +2.0%, following supply limitations of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and slower than anticipated new video game software sales in the first three weeks of November.

DJ Sl4m

Thanks, I found the info:

www.xbox-scene.com

Over at Major Nelson's blog there's some news about the availability of the machine in the US:
(...) One thing I noticed was there is a large amount of incorrect information floating around regarding shipments of units. (One store (incorrectly) told me that ‘Microsoft won't' send us anymore until March.')
I double checked with the retail team, and while I can't speak to each retail outlets specific distribution strategy, I can tell you that we (Xbox) have a weekly replenishment strategy. That means that we have new shipments of Xbox 360's being sent out each week.

Agent Icebeezy said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1742&Itemid=2

GameStop says game tie-ratio and add-on peripheral sales for Xbox 360 are "higher than any release in our history". But overall, the company's store sales are down, year-on-year.
ImageReleasing Q3 figures today, the U.S.'s leading game retailer's chairman and CEO R. Richard Fontaine, said, "GameStop sold through every [Xbox360] we had and did so in record time. There is no question that both the core gamer and gift giver are very enthusiastic about this great product. In fact, our attach ratio of games and accessories to date has never been higher for any release in GameStop's history." No hard figures game sales have yet been released by Microsoft or its retail partners.

MOMENTUM?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Would it be wiser to buy a PRP from microsoft, or from a 3rd party?

I'm thinking of keeping my system, so I figured i'd investigate

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So...if I buy a year's worth of Live, is it automatically tacked on to the free month of Gold all new purchasers get? 13 months instead of 12?

this might seem like a strange question, but i figured i'd ask anyway:

for those with defective systems, what state do you live in? i havent heard of any defective units around here, but i would be lying if i said i wasnt concerned for the xbox360 i get for christmas...

Raiden

Banned
I have some Xbox Live related Questions as well, i still have my Xbox live account running till februari. But how exactly do i connect to Xbox Live with that account on my 360? I have to create a gamerscard, and choose a name?...Will that name become my new Gamertag? And do people have to type that name, or the old one to add me?

Also when i wanted to create my gamerscard i had to write down my old gamertag and the last 4 digits of my CC, the thing is i dont have that exact CC anymore, but did pay till feb...what do i do?

"GameStop says game tie-ratio and add-on peripheral sales for Xbox 360 are "higher than any release in our history"

That is really good to hear

rs7k

Aika'svyse said:
"GameStop says game tie-ratio and add-on peripheral sales for Xbox 360 are "higher than any release in our history"

That is really good to hear

Yeah, seems like people have lots of money to burn these days.

Top Bottom