• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Khaz

Related question: I remember reading somewhere the controller pinout was fairly close to USB, and Xbox controllers would be detected as USB devices with the proper rewiring. If this is true: how easy would it be to adapt any USB HID controller to the Xbox?

Shaneus

Related question: I remember reading somewhere the controller pinout was fairly close to USB, and Xbox controllers would be detected as USB devices with the proper rewiring. If this is true: how easy would it be to adapt any USB HID controller to the Xbox?
Super easy. You can hack a controller cable (I just used a cheapo extension cable I had laying around) and colour-matched the wires with a USB cable. The trickier thing is getting drivers to work. It gets recognised, but there's no official driver support by MS for the OG Xbox controllers so you need to find a suitable community-developed one.

Can't remember any off the top of my head, sorry.

Subbed to thread (^____^)

Bought my first OG Xbox with one of my first paychecks during tech school when I first enlisted in the Air Force
....man, the memories

Borman

You cant just take any controller and put it on the Xbox, if that is what you mean. Unless you are running Linux on it or the developers happened to have supported a weird device. With no games written for other USB devices, you would be out of luck.

On the PC you have things like XBCD, which can work on Windows 7, but 8 is a bit trickier from what Ive read.

Borman

No, it is 100% USB with a different connector. But just like with Windows, it's useless without a driver. Sony included a basic driver to make controllers compatible with the PS3/4. Microsoft didnt. That was never a thing that came up back then.

Brigandier

I spent so many hours playing Ghost Recon, Island Thunder and Rainbow Six 3 on live.... absolutely 100% my best days of gaming spent playing these games back then on live.

OG Xbox was my first console I bought with my own money it was such a good feeling when I picked this behemoth up on launch day.

Borman

The video for the unreleased pitch called "Lenguins" is up next on ProtoMedia Episode #2!
Enz5DQr.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx_APiNPQoA

stn

I actually had the urge to play the OG the other day. But I've been worried about that time capacitator or whatever leaking. Are all the consoles potentially affected by this? I honestly don't trust myself to open the console and remove the component, I'll 100% screw something up.

HTupolev

I just fixed my oXbox disc tray by cooking the belt in some water on my stove. You know what's not easy? Sticking the belt back on through the tray opening with nothing but a couple of pieces of a paper clip bent into hooks. I wish I had a pair of tweezers.

My 360's tray is started to get iffy too...

This sort of thing makes me appreciate my PS3 Super Slim more. It's annoying to use when under a low shelf, but in open air it's the slickest tray mechanism ever.

eXistor

For the first time in maybe 10 years I've bought 2 new Xbox 1 games: Otogi 2 and Out Run 2. I'm still waiting on them, but I'm actually very excited to play Out Run 2, I've never played one and watching an episode of Game Sack that was all about it made me really excited to play it.

koopas

Congrats, great pickups. Outrun 2 is amazing. I hear Otogi 2 is great as well but I've only played the first one.
Nice. I just picked up a sealed Shenmue 2 for cheap I'm very happy. It's my new grail OG Xbox item. I'll post some photos in a bit.

So gaf, what are your most prized OG Xbox items in your collection?

Borman

Nice. I just picked up a sealed Shenmue 2 for cheap I'm very happy. It's my new grail OG Xbox item. I'll post some photos in a bit.

Do I get to play the prized item game? :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a copy of JSRF that includes other game. That's the one that is not backwards compatible, right? :(

Hardware: Dew Xbox
Software: the myriad of Sega games, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Phantom Dust

Camp Lo

Banned

Just picked up Gun Valkyrie today among 16 other games but really all the old EA BIG games and SEGA titles are my most prized... until I get my Buffy TVS again.

Teknoman

I'll be Xboxing it up sooner or later. I've still got KotoR 1, 2, Jade Empire, NG Black, among other things to go through. Spikeout and so for too. It just sucks since its the only system I dont have room to keep connected at all times / or even nearby.

That being said, is that Call of Cthulu game any good?

I'll be Xboxing it up sooner or later. I've still got KotoR 1, 2, Jade Empire, NG Black, among other things to go through. Spikeout and so for too. It just sucks since its the only system I dont have room to keep connected at all times / or even nearby.

That being said, is that Call of Cthulu game any good?

Call of Cthulu is a good game especially the beginning but I was a little disappointed that it introduced shooting into the gameplay.

koopas

e4X7bbKl.jpg
Here's my pickups from today. I expected munchs odyssey to be more like the first game. a little let down on the gameplay from what i played (20 mins in) but man some of those cinematics still hold up well.

REDSLATE

Hands-down, Steel Battalion: LoC with all VTs unlocked.

Just got an xbox for the first time today. It came with the standard av cables, what are some good options for upgrading? My tv supports component in. I saw a microsoft branded break out box, but also saw some 3rd party cables that were just cables... what is best?

REDSLATE

Just got an xbox for the first time today. It came with the standard av cables, what are some good options for upgrading? My tv supports component in. I saw a microsoft branded break out box, but also saw some 3rd party cables that were just cables... what is best?

OEM or bust

Just got my component cables today. Gonna try Double Steal - The Second Clash as my first 720p game. Any games in particular that are lookers in 720p? Additionally, any homebrews that run in 720p?

koopas

New titles I picked up this weekend. Condition on these are very nice, especially excited to finally have Call of Cthulu. Was pleasantly suprised by how much I enjoy this game (decent 360 bc as well)

Cday

Banned
Was looking through the demo section on the Voodoo Vince disc and saw a trailer for an mmo called True Fantasy Live Online and thought "this never came out did it?". Nope, no it didn't.

here's the trailer in horrible quality

Also I figured out a trick to get certain Xbox games to display in 480p on the later gen Xboxes. If they have a demo section you can navigate to it and it will then display properly and you can return to the game. For Panzer Dragoon Orta you can navigate to the original Panzer Dragoon (after you unlock it) and that will do the trick too.

koopas

Also I figured out a trick to get certain Xbox games to display in 480p on the later gen Xboxes. If they have a demo section you can navigate to it and it will then display properly and you can return to the game. For Panzer Dragoon Orta you can navigate to the original Panzer Dragoon (after you unlock it) and that will do the trick too.
Somewhat related, but Cold Fear doesn't seem to want to display in 720p even though its supported. Keeps going to 480p. Googled around and confirmed its a 720p supported title. Any tricks?

Top Bottom