• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Dai101

Banned
yeah, it could be something else then

edit: its not fucking plugged in LOL

T3yq9lr.gif

Celine

Xbox Crystal:
When the second track of Rallisport Challenge 2 loads I always get "There is a problem with the disc you are using. It may be dirty or damaged." .
But I don't think the CD is badly scratched.

Also the overall sound volume was also very low today, bad capacitors?

Etnos

Banned
Man... intel and nvidia tech for a home console, those were the times. Settling for AMD's apus these days I guess :(

So much Halo 2 and Morrowind was played by me on that console, not even proud about it.

kick51

Banned
Trying to get good at Panzer Dragoon Orta and starting to see some success. The game is hard as balls, but so much fun. Everything about the game is on point, sucks that it bombed. Might be the best rail shooter I've played.

Timu

Trying to get good at Panzer Dragoon Orta and starting to see some success. The game is hard as balls, but so much fun. Everything about the game is on point, sucks that it bombed. Might be the best rail shooter I've played.
One of the greatest Xbox exclusive ever!!!

VARIA

This game is weird. Easy is TOO easy and medium feels unbalanced. It's really fun but the difficulty could have been a bit more balanced.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I came across this today at the flea market.. $20 I guess isn't bad for it being sealed.

It's apparently rare. I was thinking of "Fist of the Lotus" but this is earlier in the X-box's life.

Remember the idiotic complaints about the system having a hard drive? People genuinely argued it was a bad idea because it made the system too similar to a PC and they preferred expensive memory cards.

spons

Gold Member
Nice thread!

Not long ago I collected the Xboxes I lent out to people, now have a good 1.6 one. Glanced over it and didn't see anything wrong with the capacitors but might have to take a good look.

Still looking for a magical 66 or 100 PATA cable to speed up drive access, the original Xbox came with a standard ATA cable resulting in lower speeds (PATA 33 as far as I know). Either they didn't have better ones back then or MS wanted to spare 2 cents a unit. This should speed up some loading times but it will be minimal. Unfortunately most have a cut wire, you need all 80 to get it to work with the OG Xbox, so literally all my old cables won't work.

Another stupid thing is the size of the case fan. It doesn't seem to be standard 80 mm. Have to work around it when replacing it with something less noisy.

Anyway, next step is to replace the 80 GB drive with a 250 GB one. Most of the dedicated game stores here still sell second-hand Xbox games, gotta have to take a look soon.

Shaneus

I didn't know that about the PATA cable. They just use standard ones from memory, yes? I know the power was a special cable, but I think they were just regular ATA cables for the data.

Shame, I think I might've chucked all my IDE cables. Whoops.

stn

Are launch XBox consoles affected by that time capacitator or whatever? I reallllllllllllly don't want to try removing it, I'll probably end up ruining the console beyond repair.

spons

Gold Member
I didn't know that about the PATA cable. They just use standard ones from memory, yes? I know the power was a special cable, but I think they were just regular ATA cables for the data.

Shame, I think I might've chucked all my IDE cables. Whoops.
It's one of the easiest mods there is, except you need a non-cut wire on the replacement ATA cable. I just checked most of my cables and they all have a sliced wire.

More here and here. Rough benchmark.

Shaneus

It's one of the easiest mods there is, except you need a non-cut wire on the replacement ATA cable. I just checked most of my cables and they all have a sliced wire.

More here and here. Rough benchmark.
I had absolutely no idea that was a thing. I may still have one or two cables kicking around, that's one of the coolest things I've read. 20-30% improvement? No worries!

Though most of the stuff I have now I run from the HDD anyway, but for any disc games I still stumble across, it'd be interesting to see.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I must say, reading this thread makes me want an Xbox emulator more than an emulator for any other console ever released. So many awesome games that I would love to tweak in the vein of DC emulation (resolution, obviously, filters, forced 60 fps, etc)

Why can't we just have one? :(

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

is it your first PD game? i didn't find it to be that difficult, although i remember having to look up how to handle the endboss.

that said, it took me a while til i could comfortably beat the first PD.

gelf

is it your first PD game? i didn't find it to be that difficult, although i remember having to look up how to handle the endboss.

that said, it took me a while til i could comfortably beat the first PD.

If you can beat the first game I'd say both rail shooter sequels will feel easy after that. PD1 is unforgiving with its lack of a save system. I'm not sure if I've beaten that game more then once legitimately, perhaps not even that. I cant remember now. When I replay it these days I do it via emulation and save state at the end of levels like the filthy casual I am.

Orta is certainly tough at points though and yes it took me a while to figure out the endboss too.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Orta is the best panzer if you ask me, Zwei gives it a run for its money but Orta just gives you more to play with.

PhineBuyM3

I bought Otogi 1 last night, I've only played the first level so far trying to get used to the controls. How are you supposed to defend against enemy attacks? I've seen nothing about evading or blocking.

Found and bought:

XGRA (extreme G) - I loved this series and this is the best version there is
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow - Best playable version, the PC version doesnt run on modern GPUs
Jet Set Radio Future - Always wanted to play it.

At around $3 each, :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I got my Japanese copy of Dead or Alive 3 yesterday.

Japanese Xbox imports are kewl.

Judging from the activity in this thread, though, the Xbox is not a particularly cool system :(

When will people realize what they've missed!?

Borman

I got my Japanese copy of Dead or Alive 3 yesterday.

Japanese Xbox imports are kewl.

Judging from the activity in this thread, though, the Xbox is not a particularly cool system :(

People will never realize by the look of things :(

Cheddahz

Banned

Well, it is a cool system

The only thing I've been playing on my OG Xbox is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X, though I did pick up this gem a month or so ago (I've never played it before and it's a resealed copy)

B3FNNlQCMAAq09z.jpg

Well, it is a cool system

The only thing I've been playing on my OG Xbox is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X, though I did pick up this gem a month or so ago (I've never played it before and it's a resealed copy)

B3FNNlQCMAAq09z.jpg

Amazing game.

Now try to track down Genma Onimusha. It's just as good. Also hit up Otogi 1 and 2 if you can.

Is it worth tracking down DOA Ultimate or DOA3 after playing DOA5? I see people say 5's the best fighter.
DOA1, 2 and 3 are all amazing titles. DOA1's the oldest, so it is a bit harder to chew. DOA2 is probably the majority favorite and DOA3's a solid sequel but doesn't bring much new to the table but it's my personal favorite. DOA5 has nothing on these games.

Arklite

DOA1, 2 and 3 are all amazing titles. DOA1's the oldest, so it is a bit harder to chew. DOA2 is probably the majority favorite and DOA3's a solid sequel but doesn't bring much new to the table but it's my personal favorite. DOA5 has nothing on these games.

Nice, I'll probably track down Ultimate and scope out the differences from the Itagaki age.

Khaz

Nice, I'll probably track down Ultimate and scope out the differences from the Itagaki age.

I only played those four but:
- 3 is the prettiest, and the extended stages are really good. It's the one I play with friends.
- Dimensions is my portable DoA, with a massive roster, online but on a tiny screen (best fighter on the 3DS imho.)
- 1 on Saturn is still my go to DoA when I'm home. I'm not a pro vs-player, but it just feels tighter, more straight to the point with it's three buttons mechanics. Using the VF2 engine probably helps a lot too.
- 1 on Playstation has higher res and polycount, and a better 3D overall but I find it more bland visually. It has more characters and costumes but I can't stand the Playstation controller.

I want to get Ultimate at some point, given how highly rated it is.

Also I keep hearing Xtreme hides a fairly competent Beach Volley game behind all the titillation? I know I'll have to get it too.

Borman

Better pictures to come when I have some time, probably this weekend? Unless I get creative tonight. Having guests tomorrow so that changed things a bit :p This is one of the earliest post-alpha controllers.

i7tuN1y.jpg

zQi7DLJ.jpg

TheYanger

That's slick, man I really loved the Duke back at the time, so comfy. I think the green jewel looks kind of bad just because it's so glaring but holy shit what a cool find.

I still need to get myself a new Duke controller. don't have my old one anymore and for some reason they're overpriced as hell at the retro game shops in Toronto.

Top Bottom