• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

New capture card is really sharp, even for forcing 480p to the widescreen, and compressing for imgur.

zZUDC1y.jpg

IpdTI3V.jpg
What card u got?

kick51

Banned
Finished PSO ep.1 on normal and played through the Forest missions on hard, plus some of the cave. I will keep playing the shit out of it, but need a break, so I'm going to play through Riddick, a game I've always liked but haven't beat.

and I haven't had a Ninja Gaiden Black playthrough in a couple years and need a Master Ninja save file on this xbox, so I'm gonna do that too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey guys, question about XBox component cables:

So, my HD AV Pack got stolen a couple months back. Long story. So I got a new one, and this is what it looks like:

cdfUNXU.jpg

Fuckin' weird. It doesn't look like there's a break-out box in there. It says on the back that it supports optical audio, but I dunno. Should I keep these or send 'em back? I don't know if there's a quality difference between this set and the one with the box, but I want whatever's better.

Hey guys, question about XBox component cables:

So, my HD AV Pack got stolen a couple months back. Long story. So I got a new one, and this is what it looks like:

cdfUNXU.jpg

Fuckin' weird. It doesn't look like there's a break-out box in there. It says on the back that it supports optical audio, but I dunno. Should I keep these or send 'em back? I don't know if there's a quality difference between this set and the one with the box, but I want whatever's better.

Looks like it does have a optical port but I don't know if it is a official Microsoft product.

Danny Dudekisser

Looks like it does have a optical port but I don't know if it is a official Microsoft product.

I looked it up, and apparently, MS released a revised HD AV Pack in like 2004 or something, and it got rid of the break-out box and grafted the optical port onto the thing you plug into the Xbox.

No idea if there's any quality difference between the two variants, though...

Borman

You get a kick ass card similar to mine(though yours is better overall) and use imgur?=O Minus, abload, heck even flickr are preferable.=p

It's laziness. Good shots will be going on my site as needed, if the development kit doesnt work for a particular game ;) I did a VGA test too for my alpha kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__K7FvVpc68

I looked it up, and apparently, MS released a revised HD AV Pack in like 2004 or something, and it got rid of the break-out box and grafted the optical port onto the thing you plug into the Xbox.

No idea if there's any quality difference between the two variants, though...

Both official, both identical quality really.

Danny Dudekisser

Both official, both identical quality really.

Cool -- if you're giving it the okay, I'll go ahead and open 'em.

I also found an old GAF thread from like 2005 about em. A couple people who tried them said the picture quality was slightly better on this newer one... so in any case, it sounds like I'm covered.

Borman

Cool -- if you're giving it the okay, I'll go ahead and open 'em.

I also found an old GAF thread from like 2005 about em. A couple people who tried them said the picture quality was slightly better on this newer one... so in any case, it sounds like I'm covered.

I use that cable when I capture video so no complaints. If anything, the only thing to watch out for is the fact that the RCA jacks can be really tight. The cable is really, really high quality.

I use the breakout box when I play on my projector, and again no complaints, but some people replaced the decent cable that came with it with poorer cable when they broke or lost the original cables that came with it, which could harm quality. But with the cables it came with, I see no difference.

kick51

Banned
huh, didn't know about the variant. That newer one came with my xbox when I bought it and it was on the fritz. I just assumed it was 3rd party/bootleg. Probably why the guy who sold it to me looked all nervous...he prob thought it was the console itself.

Borman

DOA2U really feels like it is a generation away from some games coming out at the time. Really beautiful. No bullshots here either

1s1kxh.png

26wj59.png

3qlkxb.png

4xnj13.png

6pojm2.png

7djkdu.png

Look at the flame embers in the last two. Crazy.

kick51

Banned
I used to love the series, though I was shit at it and didn't really understand fighters at the time. That boss fight with Tengu where the seasons change when he stomps his feet...still amazing! DoA2:U was probably the most hype I've been for a game before release, which meant putting up with a million delays, even an extra early review in GMR. When I finally got it, I binged on it for weeks in XBL matches and unlocking costumes. Those were simpler times, probably the most fun I had gaming.

edit: holy shit, the game is 10 years old this october

KQlnzos.jpg

Timu

DOA2U really feels like it is a generation away from some games coming out at the time. Really beautiful. No bullshots here either

1s1kxh.png

26wj59.png

3qlkxb.png

4xnj13.png

6pojm2.png

7djkdu.png

Look at the flame embers in the last two. Crazy.
I honestly think it's in the top 5 best looking games on Xbox Original, such a pretty and clean game that's great to take screenshots on. I also have a few shots of my own:
iA3to5npyM3Li.png

ibb8gXIZrFCBto.png

Danny Dudekisser

DOA2U is definitely my favorite in the series. I've played way more DOA4 (as kick51 can attest to), but that game never resonated with me quite the way Ultimate did.

18-20 costumes per character in doa2u

6 costumes for doa5 = that'll be 5 bucks please
To be fair, actually DoA2U has 3-20 costumes per character. Tengu has 3 costumes, the other male characters have 6-8 costumes each, and the female characters 13-20. (Ayane, Kasumi, and Leifang are the ones with 20 each.) The game does have a lot of costumes, though, that's true.

It used to be that the first version of DoA on a new console would have only a few costumes, but then they'd add a lot more in later versions. So, DoA1 for Saturn has 5-6 costumes per character, while the later PS1 version has 5-14 costumes per character.

The US version of DoA2 (DC) has 3 costumes per character, while the later Japanese version has 3-8 each, and the PS2 version (DoA Hardcore) has several more per character.

DoA3 has 2-3 costumes per character (many color variants, though), with two more per character available later via the free addon download. Then came DoA2U with up to 20 per character.

But now? Now that they can charge money for costumes, forget about all that! DoA5U doesn't give you many of the new costumes free, you've got to buy them anyway, even though you just had to buy a revision of the game. Quite annoying stuff for sure.

As for which my favorite DoA game is... hmm, that's tough. Maybe it is DoA2U; it's definitely a fantastic game. 2U and 4 are probably the top two. I do like 5U, but it's not quite as great as 2U or 4...

MarkusRJR

So I'm looking to buy an OG Xbox. What's the best way to purchase one? I'm preferably looking to get one that's been cleaned/refurbished. I went looking at EB Games and local used game stores but they all looked disgusting.

kick51

Banned
DOA2U is definitely my favorite in the series. I've played way more DOA4 (as kick51 can attest to), but that game never resonated with me quite the way Ultimate did.

still trying to drink away the memory of all those kasumi beatdowns ;_;

I tried really hard to get into 4 as much as Ultimate but it just didn't happen, mostly thanks to going back to school and not just being an early 20 something working a job, spending my free time collecting and playing games. Then getting into FGC stuff really let me know how little I knew about fighting games and pretty much killed the spark.

To be fair, actually DoA2U has 3-20 costumes per character. Tengu has 3 costumes, the other male characters have 6-8 costumes each, and the female characters 13-20. (Ayane, Kasumi, and Leifang are the ones with 20 each.) The game does have a lot of costumes, though, that's true.

It used to be that the first version of DoA on a new console would have only a few costume, but then they'd add a lot more in alter versions. So, DoA1 for Saturn has 3-6 costumes per character, while the later PS1 version has 3-14 costumes per character.

The US version of DoA2 (DC) has 3 costumes per character, while the later Japanese version has 3-8 each, and the PS2 version (DoA Hardcore) has several more per character.

DoA3 has 2-3 costumes per character (many color variants, though), with two more per character available later via the free addon download. Then came DoA2U with up to 20 per character.

But now? Now that they can charge money for costumes, forget about all that! DoA5U doesn't give you many of the new costumes free, you've got to buy them anyway, even though you just had to buy a revision of the game. Quite annoying stuff for sure.

As for which my favorite DoA game is... hmm, that's tough. Maybe it is DoA2U; it's definitely a fantastic game. 2U and 4 are probably the top two. I do like 5U, but it's not quite as great as 2U or 4...

true, it's not as monumental of offering of costumes as i made it out to be, though they offer less unlockable ones and make you pay for more these days (and looking at DOA threads here and on /v/...can't fault them for that business decision.)

when I got my first modded xbox back in the day, I got into downloading hex edit costumes for DOA3. That shit was awesome, until the cease and desist shut it down. pretty sure the gaf user grap3fruitman was in on that and made some of those.
and randomly springing DOA:XBV nude skins on unsuspecting friends was hilarious.

kick51

Banned
So I'm looking to buy an OG Xbox. What's the best way to purchase one? I'm preferably looking to get one that's been cleaned/refurbished. I went looking at EB Games and local used game stores but they all looked disgusting.

I rolled the dice and bought a modded one on craigslist for $50. I'm assuming later models had better internals, so maybe look for one of those.

Khaz

Finding anything regarding the Xbox online is virtually impossible, thanks to Microsoft idiotic naming scheme.

What can you tell me about video cables? I'm considering changing the Scart cable that came with mine (I bought it used, I don't know if it's an original cable sold with the console or what) because it's plagued with the common Scart disease: the audio is buzzing on bright screens because of lack of wire shielding. What cable would you recommend?

I saw cables with digital audio out at the console end, but they are grey which makes me think they are 360 cables, not Xbox. Are the cables compatibles, can the Xbox output digital audio? I won't get such cable immediately but once I have a proper amplifier it would be nice to have digital audio out, if such thing is possible.

Borman

I rolled the dice and bought a modded one on craigslist for $50. I'm assuming later models had better internals, so maybe look for one of those.

The last models have some compatibility issues, specifically with SEGA games.

Finding anything regarding the Xbox online is virtually impossible, thanks to Microsoft idiotic naming scheme.

What can you tell me about video cables? I'm considering changing the Scart cable that came with mine (I bought it used, I don't know if it's an original cable sold with the console or what) because it's plagued with the common Scart disease: the audio is buzzing on bright screens because of lack of wire shielding. What cable would you recommend?

I saw cables with digital audio out at the console end, but they are grey which makes me think they are 360 cables, not Xbox. Are the cables compatibles, can the Xbox output digital audio? I won't get such cable immediately but once I have a proper amplifier it would be nice to have digital audio out, if such thing is possible.

You want component cables. Official ones, either the cable or the first with the breakout box, have optical out. If you then modify your console for NTSC support, youll start getting some 480p support, even out of your PAL games, plus there are HD titles out there. RGB isnt the best for the original Xbox.

Danny Dudekisser

I started Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 last night. It's really good, but it's not Tony Hawk :(

I dunno. It's weird how it feels like such a completely different game from THPS3. I imagine that at the time, it was refreshing, but I was hoping it'd give me the same sort of eurphoria that THPS2x and 3 did. Having said that, though, it's still a lot of fun, and I'm really enjoying the game. And the soundtrack is great. I'm also blown the fuck away by the fact that the game runs in 720p on the original Xbox. Like... what? This game came out in 2002. How is that even possible?

So, I'll finish my playthrough with Tony Hawk, and then I'll probably move on to something else. I don't see THPS4 having the same staying power as THPS2x or 3 at all. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Doa2u also was 60fps which makes it look even better in motion. Miss playing that online, but there is a PC port with online play floating out there with patched servers

benzy

New capture card is really sharp, even for forcing 480p to the widescreen, and compressing for imgur.

zZUDC1y.jpg

IpdTI3V.jpg

Really great sharp captures, along with the DOA2U ones.

I'm not sure how far you are in Rallisport 2, but if you could would you capture some shots of Rally Track Great Britain / SS5 - Millington 2, preferably in bumper cam or cockpit view?

The twilight lighting on this stage is really beautiful. :p

ral2lyhg.gif

Celine

The last models have some compatibility issues, specifically with SEGA games.
What? can you go in more detail?

I'm not sure how far you are in Rallisport 2, but if you could would you capture some shots of Rally Track Great Britain / SS5 - Millington 2, preferably in bumper cam or cockpit view?

Beautiful, the main reason I bought a Xbox OG.

Khaz

You want component cables. Official ones, either the cable or the first with the breakout box, have optical out. If you then modify your console for NTSC support, youll start getting some 480p support, even out of your PAL games, plus there are HD titles out there. RGB isnt the best for the original Xbox.

I don't have component on my CRT, just Scart.

The PAL console has a PAL60 option, which means 480i and 60Hz. I'll region mod it at some point, but it's not as essential as other consoles.

Borman

Really great sharp captures, along with the DOA2U ones.

ral2lyhg.gif

Those shots are from the cancelled Lamborghini. Ill check where my save is though for Rallisport, I have a decently complete one somewhere I just swap Xboxes too often sometimes hah.

What? can you go in more detail?

Beautiful, the main reason I bought a Xbox OG.

480p doesnt work on some games on 1.6 boxes.

I don't have component on my CRT, just Scart.

The PAL console has a PAL60 option, which means 480i and 60Hz. I'll region mod it at some point, but it's not as essential as other consoles.

So not as big of a benefit really.

kick51

Banned
ok, i think 70 hours is enough PSO offline (probably more like 60-ish if you count AFK time.) I beat hard mode, but I'm conflicted on whether to keep going or just set up the PC version already.

Instead of starting more new games, I'll finish Genma Onimusha since it's a mean son-of-a-bitch and I'm almost done. i'm going for 100% or close to it...all the dark realm and ogre tower stuff.

Arklite

Always been curious of a few Japanese titles on this console. Got Otogi and Gunvalkyrie in, waiting for the Xbox and Phantom Dust to arrive. Despite Gunvalkyrie apparently being mediocre it's the one I'm most excited to play.

Danny Dudekisser

Always been curious of a few Japanese titles on this console. Got Otogi and Gunvalkyrie in, waiting for the Xbox and Phantom Dust to arrive. Despite Gunvalkyrie apparently being mediocre it's the one I'm most excited to play.

Gunvalkyrie is definitely not mediocre.

Valkyria

Banned
I reconnected mine a few days ago, I do it from them to time. I never thought that I would enjoy so much a console as the Xbox but there so many gems in the catalogue (though most of them thanks to Sega's swam song).
Right now I'm playing Dino crisis 3. The game reviewed horribly back in the day, but despite various certain real issues, the game is enjoyable nevertheless.

My favorite game of all time is on it Phantom Dust.

My favorite shooter is on it Halo Series.

Everything else was just icing on the cake.

Chaos Theory
Voodoo Vince
KOTOR
Mech Assault
Crimson skies
Jade Empire
Morrowind
Escape from butcher bay

So many classics and 2 of my top 5 for sure with phantom dust at the top.

I'm never gonna stop preaching about this game because I know many people never had a who to play it.

It was unbelievably good.

kick51

Banned
*tries out GunValkyrie for a couple hours*

*watches vids on how the game is supposed to be played*

QKbckM8.gif

I am way too baka gaijin to get my hands to work that way.

Arklite

*tries out GunValkyrie for a couple hours*

*watches vids on how the game is supposed to be played*

QKbckM8.gif

I am way too baka gaijin to get my hands to work that way.

You and I both. These inverted controls on Gunvalkyrie are murder. I can barely aim.

Arklite

You're not really supposed to aim... dat lock-on, son.

I can barely keep on target of a general direction for moving at the moment. Oh well, square zero, learn to move.

edit: on another note, this is the first time I've ever used the S-controller. Nice pad, kind of bulbous, but comfortable. I see now that the 360s D-pad has unfortunately existed since the original, but I'm liking it overall.

kick51

Banned
I think I understand the idea of GunValk's controls, but it seems like it would require a lot of well timed clicks on the left thumb stick to keep boost going and keeping steady so you don't hover and lose your combo. As it is, I just end up stuck on the ground a lot.

So I switched to Otogi...hey From Software...hey, a resurrected warrior, a land that's all fucked up, demons, darkness, souls, a soft spoken spirit lady, high difficulty. This is all very familiar!

edit: now that i've read up, there's a lot more to this game than I ever knew. I always thought it was a brainless hack n' slash.

Arklite

I think I understand the idea of GunValk's controls, but it seems like it would require a lot of well timed clicks on the left thumb stick to keep boost going and keeping steady so you don't hover and lose your combo. As it is, I just end up stuck on the ground a lot.

So I switched to Otogi...hey From Software...hey, a resurrected warrior, a land that's all fucked up, demons, darkness, souls, a soft spoken spirit lady, high difficulty. This is all very familiar!

edit: now that i've read up, there's a lot more to this game than I ever knew. I always thought it was a brainless hack n' slash.

I fared a bit better with Valkyrie's boost combo thing. Felt manageable on this old, well worn and easy to click in controller. But yeah, I also switched to Otogi and turned on the Japanese voice track. I'm liking FromSoft's push to make things simultaneously tranquil and harrowing. A calm and distant voice tells me light history while fireballs are dropping on my face in a mob.

kick51

Banned
I fared a bit better with Valkyrie's boost combo thing. Felt manageable on this old, well worn and easy to click in controller. But yeah, I also switched to Otogi and turned on the Japanese voice track. I'm liking FromSoft's push to make things simultaneously tranquil and harrowing. A calm and distant voice tells me light history while fireballs are dropping on my face in a mob.

not sure how it is on the japanese track, but on english, the boss says "None shall pass!" every 5 seconds throughout the level. kinda pissed me off lol

Top Bottom