• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Glowsquid

I got Silent Scope Complete yesterday, and man, it's a pretty awesome compilation. While all the games may be available indvidually for the ps2, but having 4 silent scope games + their home port extras on the same disc, 480p, and being the only home port of Silent Scope to support light guns (though granted, the quality of the gun seems to be YMMV) makes it one of the most underrated Xbox "exclusive", methink.

SKINNER!

Banned
I got Silent Scope Complete yesterday, and man, it's a pretty awesome compilation. While all the games may be available indvidually for the ps2, but having 4 silent scope games + their home port extras on the same disc, 480p, and being the only home port of Silent Scope to support light guns (though granted, the quality of the gun seems to be YMMV) makes it one of the most underrated Xbox "exclusive", methink.

I picked it up last month and loved it to death. I missed these arcade ports so much. Also picked up Outrun and that game is just sublime. Shout out to Sumo Digital!

Is 60-70 an ok price for Jurassic Park Operation Genesis? I'm trying to pick up some games off my list. Got Dino Crisis 3 today.

I'd say so in terms of online market price these days for sure. In terms of its actual worth (even as a huge JP fan) idk

I'd say pick it up.

REDSLATE

Is 60-70 an ok price for Jurassic Park Operation Genesis? I'm trying to pick up some games off my list. Got Dino Crisis 3 today.

I paid $50 for it about a decade ago, so $60 now (considering inflation) isn't bad. Picked it up on a whim; never expected it to be so rare.

I've played every version of it, and the Xbox version is the one to have. You can add some cool "movie" mods to the PC version (built a functioning, movie-accurate park), but it's a pain in the ass to get working on a modern PC.

SKINNER!

Banned
Spent the weekend upgrading my Xbox hdd to a 320GB IDE. Soooo ridiculously easy and painless. Only nuisance really was FTPing Chimp onto the Xbox as the application wasn't on Unleash X and I didn't have a crossover cable kicking around anywhere so I had to migrate my xbox/tv to the room where the router is and hook it up via ethernet cable. Aside from that, it took about 30 minutes for the cloning process.

T6Ml2Iz.jpg

televator

Spent the weekend upgrading my Xbox hdd to a 320GB IDE. Soooo ridiculously easy and painless. Only nuisance really was FTPing Chimp onto the Xbox as the application wasn't on Unleash X and I didn't have a crossover cable kicking around anywhere so I had to migrate my xbox/tv to the room where the router is and hook it up via ethernet cable. Aside from that, it took about 30 minutes for the cloning process.

Glad you got it working! Sorry I never got around to guide. That direct connection tampering messing up my registry was a big setback.

SKINNER!

Banned
Glad you got it working! Sorry I never got around to guide. That direct connection tampering messing up my registry was a big setback.

Nah, don't worry about it :) It all worked out in the end. Considering I only paid £6 for the console and £5 for the hdd, I wouldn't have been too bothered if this project was a complete failure .Thankfully, it went pretty well :)

Anyone familiar with hex-editing .XBE files?

I used OgXHD to modify PGR2 and set it to 720p. It works fine and is indeed 720p (but looks like it's zoomed in on the top quarter of the screen instead of the full thing) until I go to load a race. It loads for about 15 seconds then gives me the Dirty Disc error message. The game is installed on a hard drive and an unpatched .XBE loads everything just fine. I know there are no corrupt files but it must be some kind of checksum in the game that fails because of the 720p hack.

Anyone know how I can work around it and at least get ingame to see how it performs?

A big issue is going to be your RAM. In that you dont have enough.

It's an Xbox 360 so I have 512MB not counting OS/GPU reserves. Does the emulator have access to the whole 360's memory or just the typical 64MB it thinks it needs.

Is it easy to find a .xbe file from a game directly ripped to the HDD?

Definitely. As MikeHattsu said it's just in the root directory of the game. They're always titled "default.xbe" for reasons I've never heard.

Shaneus

It's an Xbox 360 so I have 512MB not counting OS/GPU reserves. Does the emulator have access to the whole 360's memory or just the typical 64MB it thinks it needs.
Ohhhh... you're running it in BC on a JTAG 360? That might be a completely different kettle of fish. I'd wager it most certainly is.

If you're getting a DDE and you're not using the hacked/patched backwards compatibility partition (that lets you play *any* Xbox game as BC, or at least try to) then I reckon you'd get a DDE.

Ohhhh... you're running it in BC on a JTAG 360? That might be a completely different kettle of fish. I'd wager it most certainly is.

If you're getting a DDE and you're not using the hacked/patched backwards compatibility partition (that lets you play *any* Xbox game as BC, or at least try to) then I reckon you'd get a DDE.

I already have the hacked version of the BC/emulator. I've played a few games that aren't officially supported so I know it's working fine too, just weird that PGR is behaving this way.

Havoc2049

I've heard the vanilla version of Outrun 2 has "advantages" over Coast 2 Coast. What are they?

It's been a while, but I think the anti-aliasing is better in Outrun 2 and the picture looks better. Outrun 2 also has a Mission Mode not found in 2006, where you unlock Ferrari Cards, which has pictures and facts about Ferrari cars and memorabilia and unlocks soundtrack remixes, extra cars and extra stages. You can also unlock the original Outrun arcade game and one track from Scud Racer and one track from Daytona USA 2.

Outrun 2006 has a drafting gameplay mechanic added. The Mission Mode is no longer there. As you gain miles in the various game modes, you can spend those miles on soundtrack remixes, extra cars and extra stages. Outrun 2006 has a few more cars than Outrun 2. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast also has all the new stages associated with the new Coast 2 Coast mode, where you drive across the United States.

Get both. :)

Vespa

I believe the best console version of Outrun 2 is the Japanese Xbox release (did Japan get a Ps2 version?), they tweaked it further with some small improvements. I believe the same goes for the Japanese release of C2C (called Outrun SP iirc and only out on Ps2) which was further improved compared to the western versions.

Prices for both are really high :/

I believe the best console version of Outrun 2 is the Japanese Xbox release (did Japan get a Ps2 version?), they tweaked it further with some small improvements. I believe the same goes for the Japanese release of C2C (called Outrun SP iirc and only out on Ps2) which was further improved compared to the western versions.

What are the improvements in the Japanese version?

Vespa

The Scud Race and Daytona 2 bonus tracks are more faithful to the arcade originals, details like planes flying overhead have been added back in plus a bunch of others, slowdown fixed in certain areas, driver's view bugs fixed.

The Japanese Ps2 release of Outrun SP has some extra animations, turbo out run music fix (loops instead of fades), frame rate improvement in certain areas? Force feedback steering wheel support.

-shadow-

Bought these two today, heard good things about the Indiana Jones game and for only €2,50 I couldn't leave it. Still haven't found myself a Component Cable for the system though. Should do that first actually.

Timu

Bought these two today, heard good things about the Indiana Jones game and for only €2,50 I couldn't leave it. Still haven't found myself a Component Cable for the system though. Should do that first actually.
Yes, every Xbox owner needs component cables!

Shaneus

Woah, I had no idea there were differences between the Jap and US/EU versions of Outrun 2. Have to track down a copy now (and hope you're not wrong, especially about the slowdown).

And I'm pretty sure the OG Outrun 2 (not SP/C2C) wasn't released on anything outside of the original Xbox.

Vespa

I had no idea they made a sequel to Wreckless: The Yakuza missions (Double Steal)!

@Shaneus MrThunderwing has a few comparisons on his channel here.

I've not seen an extensive list of changes but from bits of info I've read on various forums it's been mentioned that slowdown on Tulip garden and the Scud race track has been removed/improved for the Japanese Outrun 2 release.

I own EU copies copies of Outrun 2 and C2C and would love to get copies of the JP versions. Outrun 2 is the last amazing arcade racer I can recall playing and am so sad to see arcades left in the dust.

From ebay:
YU6mozt.jpg

Always thought the first was the best but going to give this another go. Check out the 15+! Hide ya kids

SKINNER!

Banned
From ebay:
YU6mozt.jpg

Always thought the first was the best but going to give this another go. Check out the 15+! Hide ya kids

Dat punk rawk cuss music pollutin' our kids ears! That was my first original Xbox game I bought when I picked up an Xbox 360 back around 2007/2008. Because it wasn't backwards compatible ( I thought it was) at the time, I never got round to actually playing it until I got my original Xbox couple of months ago. Interesting title. I recall reading the Hilary Goldstein IGN review when it dropped.

Vespa

Dat punk rawk cuss music pollutin' our kids ears! That was my first original Xbox game I bought when I picked up an Xbox 360 back around 2007/2008. Because it wasn't backwards compatible ( I thought it was) at the time, I never got round to actually playing it until I got my original Xbox couple of months ago. Interesting title. I recall reading the Hilary Goldstein IGN review when it dropped.

Ha that's probably what it is, the music must contain some profanities. It's not BC with the 360? That's a shame, Orta and JSR:F don't work either...clearly there's a conspiracy against SEGA!

Timu

Ha that's probably what it is, the music must contain some profanities. It's not BC with the 360? That's a shame, Orta and JSR:F don't work either...clearly there's a conspiracy against SEGA!
Panzer Dragoon Orta does work on 360.

Vespa

You're right but you have to have a ntsc copy and machine, I think that it still had some graphical issues and something about the Panzer dragoon 1 unlockable not working? I'm in pal land where it crashes after level 3 :(

Timu

You're right but you have to have a ntsc copy and machine, I think that it still had some graphical issues and something about the Panzer dragoon 1 unlockable not working? I'm in pal land where it crashes after level 3 :(
"PAL version crashes after the full-motion video at the end of the third level. However, there is a solution for this that includes unlocking the level select menu by accumulating 20 hours of gameplay. Occasional framerate hitches during full motion videos. Boss fight with Abadd in the Forbidden Memories stage shows heavy graphical glitches. Original Panzer Dragoon is reported to be unplayable, but is fully playable on at least some NTSC systems."

That's the info I got, but yeah sucks for Pal owners.

Borman

Here's a screenshot from a pitch project for a game in the Witchblade universe. Looks really nice (although thats about all it is, looks)

HQAurRl.jpg

NeOak

I just noticed today the mint copy I bought of Metal Wolf Chaos has circular scratches.

I remember it wasn't like that, so I checked my Shenmue II copy: Same circles.

Thanks Xbox for scratching my $220 game >.>

:'(

SKINNER!

Banned

Nah, Crazy Taxi 3 won't work on a X360 but yeah, the music does contain profanity. Interestingly, the Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi 1 is also uncensored and got a 3-10 rating from ELSPA. I wonder if Sega deliberately left the music untouched (or perhaps forgot to censor it) and ELSPA simply didn't notice it. Crazy Taxi 2 on DC was also uncensored but that got a 15+ rating. They eventually did censor the music for the Crazy Taxi 1 PS2 and GC ports. PAL versions anyway.

SKINNER!

Banned
By the way, did you guys know that there's a Shenmue II Undub for Xbox? I got the physical Dreamcast and Xbox versions at home and wondered if anyone managed to re-create the NTSC or PAL versions with Japanese audio instead of the English dub. Found out there was! Awesome!

Vespa

If it's any consolation, the arcade level from CT1 is in there.

I did not know that, what a cool bonus!

By the way, did you guys know that there's a Shenmue II Undub for Xbox? I got the physical Dreamcast and Xbox versions at home and wondered if anyone managed to re-create the NTSC or PAL versions with Japanese audio instead of the English dub. Found out there was! Awesome!

Nice! I actually like how bad the dub is for Shenmue, great that you can pick and chose which one you want to experience. I have yet to try the game in Japanese but plan to do a play through before Shenmue 3.

Nah, Crazy Taxi 3 won't work on a X360 but yeah, the music does contain profanity. Interestingly, the Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi 1 is also uncensored and got a 3-10 rating from ELSPA. I wonder if Sega deliberately left the music untouched (or perhaps forgot to censor it) and ELSPA simply didn't notice it. Crazy Taxi 2 on DC was also uncensored but that got a 15+ rating. They eventually did censor the music for the Crazy Taxi 1 PS2 and GC ports. PAL versions anyway.

You were only required to send a game to ELSPA for certification if it had adult content. Most of the time publishers self certified. So in the case of Crazy Taxi most likely the producer look at the game and did not consider the lyrics at all.

Glowsquid

omg, I 1cced the first Silent Scope today. Pulled off the final shot too.

I love this game.

SKINNER!

Banned
You were only required to send a game to ELSPA for certification if it had adult content. Most of the time publishers self certified. So in the case of Crazy Taxi most likely the producer look at the game and did not consider the lyrics at all.

aaah I seee. Makes sense :) Cheers

Found an old 500GB IDE Drive in my attic the other day. I only just upgraded my Xbox with a 320GB HD. Oh well, looks like I'm going through that process again :)

televator

I need some help on KotOR II. I can't get Bao Dur to crack open the atmospheric sensors on Dantooine. Is there some sort of prerequisite? Does his repair skill need to be higher? It's currently @ 10. I'm trying to avoid leveling him up so that I can give him more force powers when I begin training him.

Timu

I need some help on KotOR II. I can't get Bao Dur to crack open the atmospheric sensors on Dantooine. Is there some sort of prerequisite? Does his repair skill need to be higher? It's currently @ 10. I'm trying to avoid leveling him up so that I can give him more force powers when I begin training him.
I don't remember since the last I played it was when it was new and 1st came out.

REDSLATE

I just noticed today the mint copy I bought of Metal Wolf Chaos has circular scratches.

I remember it wasn't like that, so I checked my Shenmue II copy: Same circles.

Thanks Xbox for scratching my $220 game >.>

:'(

HDD is the only way to go (well, SSD once it's more affordable). Optical media is too fragile.

Sorry to hear about Metal Wolf.

By the way, did you guys know that there's a Shenmue II Undub for Xbox?

Yep, it was mentioned a ways back.

Top Bottom