• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

televator

Bah! Fuck you then Bao Dur! I'm tryinna help your stupid ass but you won't work with me. I was thinking I had to restart the game anyway since the HK quest is bugging out on me.

Vespa

Some stuff that's arrived this week:
8a1UkmF.jpg

Z1QD3pz.jpg

Finally get to play Phantom Dust! Also picked up BO2 since I hear it's the best version and is by far my fav in the series.

Does anybody know if it's possible to de-yellow the crystal xbox? the pad's in worse shape than the console. I'll be swapping the case with the other xbox I have as I'm not a fan of the original black xbox look.

televator

I assume it is possible to deyellow it like all other white consoles. In your case, I would test it out on the back casing of the controller and observe the results.

enewtabie

Found a game store in a small town(pop 428) up the road from my parents. He had a pretty good selection. Picked up Shenmue 2 complete with dvd/manual for 25 bucks. Not bad.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
been playing x-men legends on my Xbox. mostly like it but the missions are much too long, I'll probably do a lttp write up once I'm done.
Found a game store in a small town(pop 428) up the road from my parents. He had a pretty good selection. Picked up Shenmue 2 complete with dvd/manual for 25 bucks. Not bad.
great find! enjoy the best shenmue.

Havoc2049

Some stuff that's arrived this week:
8a1UkmF.jpg

Z1QD3pz.jpg

Finally get to play Phantom Dust! Also picked up BO2 since I hear it's the best version and is by far my fav in the series.

Does anybody know if it's possible to de-yellow the crystal xbox? the pad's in worse shape than the console. I'll be swapping the case with the other xbox I have as I'm not a fan of the original black xbox look.

Nice pick-ups. Since it is clear plastic, try either paste based toothpaste or a car headlight cleaning solution used to clean cloudy headlights. Try on the backside of the console first and keep it away from logos on the console.

I've used toothpaste to clean cloudy headlights and it works like a champ.

Vespa

Nice pick-ups. Since it is clear plastic, try either paste based toothpaste or a car headlight cleaning solution used to clean cloudy headlights. Try on the backside of the console first and keep it away from logos on the console.

I've used toothpaste to clean cloudy headlights and it works like a champ.

Since I have yet to get around to cleaning it I will try the toothpaste! Thanks, Havoc. I was looking at making some of that retrobright solution but didn't have all the ingredients yet.

Burnout 1 is surprisingly good. I like how going for near misses to fill the bar are a lot more dangerous than other burnouts!

Glowsquid

I got Auto Modellista today. The game has a bad reputation, but I'm enjoying a lot more than I expected so far. I especially enjoyed the "easy tune up" feature that asks you a bunch of questions about how you want the car to be like and does the turning for you (are there other racing sim that do something like that?)

The Xbox version looks amazing. imo, with a resolution bump, it could look acceptable as a x360/ps3 game without much changes.

Timu

I got Auto Modellista today. The game has a bad reputation, but I'm enjoying a lot more than I expected so far. I especially enjoyed the "easy tune up" feature that asks you a bunch of questions about how you want the car to be like and does the turning for you (are there other racing sim that do something like that?)

The Xbox version looks amazing. imo, with a resolution bump, it could look acceptable as a x360/ps3 game without much changes.
I wish that game had better controls.

Shaneus

It came out on Xbox?!?

dubc35

It came out on Xbox?!?

I didn't know either. I bought the ps2 version a year ago or so (I think bc someone in the ps2 thread was posting screens and I never played it back in the day). I also have a wheel for ps3(2) so that played into my purchase as well.

Timu

It's been a long time since I played it dubc35, but I remember not liking the controls which reviews pointed out.

I just ordered this component cable!!!

216ljGCImDL.jpg

MikeMyers

So I saw an OG Xbox at a goodwill for $20 today and I'm thinking of getting it for the Sega and Tecmo games, but the size kinda bothers me. It's a really big console and I dunno where I'd make room for it.

dubc35

It's been a long time since I played it dubc35, but I remember not liking the controls which reviews pointed out.
Got it, thanks. I didn't know if there was one nagging issue. I'll check out my ps2 version with a controller this weekend. I have only played it (briefly) with a wheel so far.

So I saw an OG Xbox at a goodwill for $20 today and I'm thinking of getting it for the Sega and Tecmo games, but the size kinda bothers me. It's a really big console and I dunno where I'd make room for it.
$20?! Buy it! You can make room.

televator

Hmm, perhaps. I mostly like platformers and arcade-style games, if that helps.

Voodoo Vince, Beyond Good & Evil, Blinx, Sphynx, Rayman 3, the Odd World games, Project Gotham Racing 1&2, Crimsom Skies, Spy Hunter 1&2, the Burnout games...

Not all these games are my cup o' tea, but they're worth checking out for anyone else.

Glowsquid

The first Spy Hunter is crap on xbox. More slowdowns, washed-out, darkened view, controls they didn't bother to adapt for the xbox's controller layout... etc. It does have 480p and an emulation of the original game (which is crap), but the problems I mentioned are severe enough to cancel any advantages it has.

SpyHunter 2's port is great, though.

----

Anyway, um, arcade-ey, approachable games on the xbox you say...

MechAssault and MechAssault 2 Lone Wolf

Phantom Crash

Airforce Delta Storm

Gun Metal (also on Steam)

Silent Scope Complete

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

XGRA: Extreme G Racing Association

Timu

Voodoo Vince, Beyond Good & Evil, Blinx, Sphynx, Rayman 3, the Odd World games, Project Gotham Racing 1&2, Crimsom Skies, Spy Hunter 1&2, the Burnout games...

Not all these games are my cup o' tea, but they're worth checking out for anyone else.
Every Xbox owner should have the Burnout games, it's mandatory!

The first Spy Hunter is crap on xbox. More slowdowns, washed-out, darkened view, controls they didn't bother to adapt for the xbox's controller layout... etc. It does have 480p and an emulation of the original game (which is crap), but the problems I mentioned are severe enough to cancel any advantages it has.

SpyHunter 2's port is great, though.
I wonder about how the Gamecube version of Spy Hunter compares.

Glowsquid

I wonder about how the Gamecube version of Spy Hunter compares.

ign didn't like it

On the absolutely miserable end of the scale lies the GameCube, which are just plain horrible. The large number of functions in the game coupled with the limited number of buttons on the GameCube controller means you'll have to use button combos to toggle your defensive and offensive weapons, and playing finger Twister while you're in the middle of a high-intensity car battle is an unwelcome chore. You also can't change the camera view on the fly like in the PS2 and Xbox versions, meaning you're stuck in the behind-the-car view for the entire game. If you don't like it, too bad.

Again, the GameCube is dragging its tail between its legs in the graphics comparison, and comes in dead last. It doesn't look like Point of View utilized any of the GameCube's built-in filters as the GameCube version is the most jagged of them all, and extremely pixelated as well. The GameCube version also suffers from the darkening effect that we saw in the Xbox version, and the bright colors are much more gray and washed out in this version. But the in-game graphics aren't the worst of it. The compressed 320x240 cutscenes are pixelated and blurry, and look the worst out of the three versions by far. The GameCube version also has the most annoying framerate fluctuation of the three versions as the game drops from smooth to chunky anytime something explodes, which is quite often.

Timu

Looks like I have yet another dead Xbox, it won't turn on at all, and it had to happen on the day I get new gold plated component cables!!!

televator

Looks like I have yet another dead Xbox, it won't turn on at all, and it had to happen on the day I get new gold plated component cables!!!

You might try swapping in a compatible power supply from another spare Xbox. You make it seem like you have several dead boxes.

televator

I know, but I can't keep useless consoles around. Hell, 2 of them had disc drive issues as well, 1 of them wouldn't even open anymore.XD

Duuude! You can fix that stuff easy. Drives that don't open just need the band either boiled or replaced. C'mon...

shanafan

I keep a spare OG Xbox for the parts ;)

Timu, the issue is that it just won't turn on? Have you tried swapping power cables? Good thing the power cable for the Xbox is universal.

Just a thought

Timu

I keep a spare OG Xbox for the parts ;)

Timu, the issue is that it just won't turn on? Have you tried swapping power cables? Good thing the power cable for the Xbox is universal.

Just a thought
2 different power cables couldn't turn it on, yet the same power cable I used worked perfectly for my Dreamcast, so it's the console that's dead.

shanafan

2 different power cables couldn't turn it on, yet the same power cable I used worked perfectly for my Dreamcast, so it's the console that's dead.

Hmm, gotca.

I know you said you don't fix consoles, but when I got my OG Xbox back in 2001, the following year the fan just got insanely loud. I opened it up, and was able to remove it. There was information for the manufacturer so I contacted them and they shipped me a new fan and told me to trash the defective one. Cost to me, $0.

Microsoft wanted at least $100 to fix it.

Could be a fun project to find out how to replace the power supply inside the unit. Good thing about the OG Xbox is that it is pretty easy to take it apart, and the guts inside are large enough to easily know where the things go.

Sorry about the troubles!

Went to Gameover Videogames this afternoon and bought another controller for my Xbox, because I'm not going to ever use the Duke unless I have an opportunity for local multiplayer and the left stick on my S controller has been driving me crazy with it getting loose and triggering inputs when I don't want it to. And what I got turned out to be an interesting find: a Japanese S Controller.

I knew about how the S controller was the default one when the Xbox launched in Japan, and I remember the major difference with that was the Xbox logo in the center of the controller. But I did not realize the minor design differences compared to what we got, like the analog sticks and how they look and feel just about the same as the ones on the 360 gamepad, rather than just having the smooth concave layer of rubber that the NA and EU versions of the S controller had. Plus the letters on the face buttons are just an outline and not solid. Other than that and the logo, everything else is exactly the same, and it's nice having a controller with no issues (trying to play Ninja Gaiden Black with that old S was infuriating).

Thought it was cool to share. Interesting to see the slight variations in design across regions for the same hardware.

Vespa

Ahh I have the same, stick drift on my current S controller which is a pain, I have some spare analog pots that I want to swap these current ones out with. I actually have the same issue on my xbox one controller a a month into getting the thing! Those buttons on the JP version look really slick.

B6beFiN.jpg

Some pick ups...

Burnout 3 has a clean disc but gives me a dirty disc error after the intro and silent scope disc looks like it's been in a fight with a very angry cat but it sort of works, had to wipe the disc a couple of times. Finally got Tony Hawks 2x and I'm so bad at it, falling on my face after every trick lol

FyreWulff

Wipe the BO3 disc even though it looks clean.

You may also want to force the Xbox to clear the cache (put in like 4 different games and wait for them to finish installing their precache) and then try BO3 again. That game has issues with corrupting it's data.

Vespa

Wipe the BO3 disc even though it looks clean.

You may also want to force the Xbox to clear the cache (put in like 4 different games and wait for them to finish installing their precache) and then try BO3 again. That game has issues with corrupting it's data.

Oh did not know about the 4 different games thing, I'll give it a shot, thanks, FyreWulff.

FyreWulff

Oh did not know about the 4 different games thing, I'll give it a shot, thanks, FyreWulff.

It's easiest to notice with OXbox Doom 3, but you can catch Halo 2 installing it sometimes. In Doom 3 though, if it hasn't installed it's data you can't skip the attract/intro FMV for about 2 whole minutes. Get to the main menu, eject the disc and start again, and you'll be able to skip the attract instantly.

It keeps about the 2 or 3 latest data installs (somewhere around there), then dumps the oldest one. As far as I know there's no fast way to reset the cache. You just have to push out old ones by putting in games.

It's a long shot, but like I said, BO3 has data corruption issues that even carry over to playing it on 360. I've lost my profile 3 times now on there : p

Top Bottom