• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

So I had the itch to play a bit of my original Xbox but was saddened to find the old Thomson drive completely shot. I decided to go ahead and bite on another console with a Samsung drive, but now I'm wondering if the Samsung ones are good as is, or would I be better off modding it and running games directly off the hard drive for the sake of longevity?

I've only ever had Thomson drives unfortunately, and anyone who is in this situation too should make HDD loading a priority. Games run so much more reliably and load so much more quicker. Every disc drive is going to fail eventually, so might as well softmod while you still can.

JLynn

Oh man, I have some Xbox to USB cables. I can use a random SD card reader and make space that way? With UnleashX can I execute XBEs off of an SD card?

That'd be great.

The trick is to use an older non SDHC SD card 2 GB and under. I tried using a Transcend 4GB SDHC card I used with my old digital camera and the Xbox couldn't recognize it.

televator

It appears almost like an afterimage when turning the camera, especially in darker scenes--like in a house in Morrowind. And yes, I'm using component cables. Generic ones, from Amazon. But component cables nonetheless.

Let's try to rule out the cheap cable. Do you have a regular composite cable on hand? It going to look like dog shit, but let's see if the ghosting is still there. If it's gone, it's likely the cable. If it's still there, then it's probably your TV.

My money is on the cable. If that's the case, I can personally vouch for more reasonably priced Monster cables. Only problem with those specific ones is that they are stereo only. The digital surround version is more expensive like the MS official box/cable.

Edit: Just realized that the cables I linked were for the 360, lol.

Edit 2: I found an Xbox Monster cable. not badly priced.

I'm not a person who cares to much about DVD drives dying out. It's probably a real concern if you play a ton of games. I would softmod and use HDD's. personally if I were you guys. If you have multiple xbox's system linked for LAN gameplay and want to change games its soooo much quicker to be able to boot into a game off an HDD vs having to swap the disc of all the consoles.

Tain

The trick is to use an older non SDHC SD card 2 GB and under. I tried using a Transcend 4GB SDHC card I used with my old digital camera and the Xbox couldn't recognize it.
Timu said:
My 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade works perfectly.
This is exciting! Wonder if I could use a straight-up USB hard drive.

Timu

aaaah, there's the buzzkill. Still, very good to know.
I actually hooked up a 16GB Sandisk usb drive and it didn't work, so I had to go out and get the 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade because people said it worked and well, it worked perfectly as I'm able to get save files imported and exported and such.

JLynn

My 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade works perfectly.

Well, yeah. It recognizes SOME, but not ALL. Also, I'm talking about SDHC cards while your Cruzer is a standalone flash drive.

Let's try to rule out the cheap cable. Do you have a regular composite cable on hand? It going to look like dog shit, but let's see if the ghosting is still there. If it's gone, it's likely the cable. If it's still there, then it's probably your TV.

My money is on the cable. If that's the case, I can personally vouch for more reasonably priced Monster cables. only problem with those specific ones is that they are stereo only. The digital surround version is more expensive like the MS official box/cable.

I would also suggest to hunt around flea markets or thrift stores for cables and the HD AV Pack. I got one at a retro game store for $3.15.

And speaking of HD AV pack, I found a third party version on eBay for $12.95. I couldn't find much information about this so try at your own risk.

i own all of the original Splinter Cell games on the OG Xbox, and i've been thinking of playing through them again. how is the PS3 HD trilogy collection? kinda wanna grab it for the trophies, but if the ports are terrible then i'll just pop in the OG Xbox discs

REDSLATE

i own all of the original Splinter Cell games on the OG Xbox, and i've been thinking of playing through them again. how is the PS3 HD trilogy collection? kinda wanna grab it for the trophies, but if the ports are terrible then i'll just pop in the OG Xbox discs

From what I've read, the "HD" collection doesn't run all that well. It's also worth mentioning that apparently the Xbox version of Double Agent varies significantly from the Xbox 360 version. Both are supposed to be good in their own right.

Timu

Chaos Theory runs well but the 1st 2 have issues.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
From what I've read, the "HD" collection doesn't run all that well. It's also worth mentioning that apparently the Xbox version of Double Agent varies significantly from the Xbox 360 version. Both are supposed to be good in their own right.

Yeah, two completely different games. The Xbox-version is great as the three first games, the 360-game is only decent (but looked great at the time) imo.

defghik

So my Xbox finally crapped out on me last week. It wouldn't turn on (the power buttons did nothing) so I looked up guides on solutions, but nothing fixed it. So I bought one online (manufactured November 2001), but the DVD drive wouldn't read any discs, so I opened it up and replaced the drive with the one from my broken Xbox (and removed the clock capacitor), and thankfully I now have a working Xbox.

I also bought these component cables with it, and I'm amazed out how good it looks in 480p on my modern 1080p screen. Just a console ahead of its time. I'm probably going to get a 720p title too, just to see how it looks.

Still, it feels like my Xbox is a ticking time bomb, so I'm really hoping we get BC support for it at some point on the Xbone or maybe the Scorpio. I'm not a programmer, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to do, right?

Cday

Banned
Crazy to see how clear Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks on a 1080p monitor. Look on the back and see it runs at 720p. That would explain it.

I have a softmodded XBOX, I want to change the HDD in it for something larger. What specifications should I go for? IDE, I guess, but which standard? Is there a max. size? How hard would it be to clone my current hard drive onto the new?

I'll look into that.

I normally don't do this, but Xbox needs it a lot, definitely to extend it's life.

I'm glad it looks easy to do as well.

Neither do I, but I've been thinking about it, considering I have about 80 games for the system. I've already decapped it.

Removing the caps was real easy, so I'm hoping, modding and changing the hard drive is also easy. Not tech really tech savvy anymore.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question for you guys (may be answered in this thread and I just didn't search) - how do I fix the scaling and graphics from looking like a blurry mess of garbage?

Timu

Neither do I, but I've been thinking about it, considering I have about 80 games for the system. I've already decapped it.

Removing the caps was real easy, so I'm hoping, modding and changing the hard drive is also easy. Not tech really tech savvy anymore.
I'm never tech savy with insides of consoles to begin with, which is funny because I'm a master at building PCs.=p

I think I have more than 80 games at this point!!!

SKINNER!

Banned
Just realised my hdtv doesn't have component cable ports. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? Is there an OG Xbox hdmi cable?

televator

Just realised my hdtv doesn't have component cable ports. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? Is there an OG Xbox hdmi cable?

None that I'm aware of. Could try for a good general component to HDMI converter. Just make sure it's not a scaler. A cheap converter can be decent, but a cheap scaler can be horrible.

REDSLATE

I'll look into that.

I normally don't do this, but Xbox needs it a lot, definitely to extend it's life.

I'm glad it looks easy to do as well.

I'm never tech savy with insides of consoles to begin with, which is funny because I'm a master at building PCs.=p

I think I have more than 80 games at this point!!!

You'll be fine then. The inside of an Xbox is nearly identical to a PC (it basically is a PC). It's very easy to work on. HDD and Clock Cap mods are two of the best things you can do to extend the longevity of your console.

I second Televator's 80 wire recommendation. Loading times are incredibly fast.

I used an HDMI converter with a monitor for a short duration and keep it on hand for LAN parties. It worked fairly well, but displayed a darker image than was intended. And, no, there aren't any OEM HDMI cables for the Xbox as HDMI wasn't a thing then (looking back, launch 360s didn't even have HDMI). Component HD was cutting edge.

Depending on your intent and budget, I'd recommend simply buying a new display (the higher-end TVs still have at least one component port) or buying a good reciever.

I have a softmodded XBOX, I want to change the HDD in it for something larger. What specifications should I go for? IDE, I guess, but which standard? Is there a max. size? How hard would it be to clone my current hard drive onto the new?

Western Digital 7200 rotations/min 2TB IDE, PATA adapter (make sure it has a jumper), and an 80 wire cable.

(2TB is the max)

Cloning isn't difficult, it just involves some "play" to get the correct order of events down. If your current drive is stock, it doesn't take too long to actually clone everything over. Make sure to use an OEM controller, and you'll likely want a second console on hand for power (Y adapters may not work).

televator

Is there a "best place" to pick these up?

Also, how easy/hard is it to softmod an Xbox to run games off the HDD?

I strongly recommend the official or Monster cables. You can find them on eBay, but they can also show up rather cheap on craigslist. If that's not practical for you, a poster up above seemed happy with these. Though reading the reviews indicates that the cable is rather greasy and smelly. Strange...

Timu

I strongly recommend the official or Monster cables. You can find them on eBay, but they can also show up rather cheap on craigslist. If that's not practical for you, a poster up above seemed happy with these. Though reading the reviews indicates that the cable is rather greasy and smelly. Strange...
I have those, there isn't a smell unless you sniff it. They are worth getting. The smell won't affect your room or anything like that.

-shadow-

Framerate just dipping, or is it bad overall? I can also get the PS2 version, but as far as I know that one is only unoptimised 50hz...

Tain

From what I remember, the main issue is the Tanker chapter. The rain effects kill performance, and MGS2 runs slower when it can't maintain full speed (game logic tied to framerate).

I think there were slowdown spots here and there after that, but it wasn't unplayable or anything.

-shadow-

Yeah the intro was really rough considering the frame rate. But I'll manage. The controls on the other hand. They need some getting used to. It just feels off...

Coda

Is the xbox 360 the best way to play OG xbox games?

Def the best way to play Xbox games is on original hardware and the fact that there are way too many incredible games that weren't backwards compatible on the 360.

Some of my favorites you can only play on an OG Xbox would be:
Gunvalkyrie, Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi 1/2 and Double S.T.E.A.L: The Second Clash.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but ive been looking for doax on OG Xbox. Preferably a US copy. Did all versions of it come with a hologram or just USA copies? Thanks

Top Bottom