• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh wow - the Amiga is 25! AMIGA APPRECIATION THREAD

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm somewhat glad I grew up as a kid having experienced both the C64 and Amiga. Yeah, I missed out on the NES, but for me the stuff I was playing was king.

Spasm

DennisK4 said:
I loved that game so much...

My first real flight sim. Bought it with my A500 from Software Etc. Played it till my fingers bled. Was the summer of '89.

My brother then upgraded to an A1000, then we both got A1200s. I still have mine, but no monitor to hook it up to. Wish I could hook it up to something. Edit: Seriously, anyone have any suggestions? Good 1084s are impossible to find.

Also, best Batman game ever! I especially loved the driving sequences.

The Amiga was incredible.

My Amiga 1200 actually replaced my Megadrive (Genesis) in late '92 and I loved every minute I spent with that machine. Sooo many awesome games, tons of innovation.

But, my love for the Amiga didn't stop there. There was AMOS - which I was obsessed with. Perfect replacement to my C64 programming days.

Then there was the MOD scene. I'm a music producer, do remixes for various labels - I'd never become what I am today if it hadn't been for the AMIGA and the MOD scene. That's when I very first started creating dance music.

Kuran

Banned
I love the Amiga.

I love my PSP for allowing me to play Amiga games on the go...

I hope that PSP2 will allow homebrew peeps to do full speed Amiga emulation.. right now I usually settle for the Atari ST version of certain games, since that emulates much easier.

After all these years, a game called Return to Genesis is one of my favorite underdog Amiga games. Amazing music and speed!

oracrest

RamzaIsCool said:
Amiga brotherhood assemble!!!!!:lol

such good times back then... well besides the whole floppy changing thing. That was in hindsight pretty weird that I had THE patience for that. These days I get annoyed when loadscreens are longer then 30 secs.

Does anyone else remember the really clever 4th wall breaking joke the first Monkey Island game had with the stump in the woods?

You could open it up, and guybrush would exclaim with excitement how a sprawling network of labyrinthine tunnels was hidden under the stump, and then the prompt to insert disk #126 or whatever would come up. It would actually check your C: drive and produce an error. It did it like 3 or 4 times before Guybrush said something like "Oh well, an adventure for another time.."

I loved that shit, it was the first 4th wall breaking thing I had ever seen a game do. :D

And it was completely lost when CD format came around.... :/

TurricanII_001.png

<3

ChryZ

I too grew up on C64 and then Amiga. Such brilliant times: Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Virus (aka Zarch), Beach Volley, Xenon 2 Megablast, Starglider 2 (fucking GTA on a solar system scale), Speedball 2 (ICE CREAM!), Neuromancer, Bomberman (DIY soldered multi tap via parallel port ftw), Rainbow Island (ported by Andrew Braybrook, amazing port).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
While I never quite owned a "proper" Amiga, despite using enough of them (<3 the A1200) I did own a CD32, and it was a lovely console, marred by a lack of support from a dying Commodore and the worst controller in the history of ever.

Still, I enjoyed gaming on it, in particular Whales Voyage, microcosm and a pinball game that was really really good, but I can't remember its name right now. Still, playing with the dashboard was worth the asking price alone, while not completely working it still worked for most basic stuff.

Kuran

Banned
I also got FA18 Interceptor with my Amiga500.. that intro music was incredibly atmospheric. I loved flying under that golden gate bridge.

Playing Lotus Esprit Turbo 2 with my brother... trashing him at Speedball, or just about any other game haha...

I wish I had the luxury to own a HD enabled Amiga back then, disk-swapping was about the only negative point in my book.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Amiga is basically my youth. I didn't get anything else until '97, so the Amiga was my sole source of gaming. And to be honest, I can't say I missed anything. Despite what everyone is saying, the Amiga had great platformers that I love more than anything Mario or Sonic. Like Superfrog. There's some strange ideas going on that if it's not on a SEGA or a Nintendo platform, it's not worth playing.

The good thing about the Amiga games, was the diversity. We had fantastic football games like Sensible World of Soccer, GOAL! and Kick Off 2 - and to be honest, after trying out basically every football game released on NES/SNES/Megadrive, none of them comes close to the fun and playability of those Amiga games. Then we had adventure games, like Monkey Island 1 and 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3 and 5 plus many many more - too numerous to mention really. The time of the Amiga was the golden age of adventure gaming.

Racers? Lotus 1, 2, 3, Formula One Grand Prix, Stunt Car Racer, Nitro, Super Cars 1 and 2, Jaguar XJ220, Overdrive, All Terrain Racing

Strategy - Civilization, The Settlers, K240, Utopia, Sim City

Puzzles - Push Over, Lemmings, Troddlers, The Humans, The Lost Vikings

Run and Gun: Turrican, Ruff'n'Tumble

Space sim: Elite 1, 2, Epic

Oddities: Viz, Weird Dreams, (Silly) Putty

Golf: Nick Faldo's Championship Golf, PGA European Tour, Sensible Golf

Shoot'em ups: Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Warzone, Disposable Hero, Project X

Arcade: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars, Qwak, Fuzzball

Just to mention a tiny portion of it...

The_Dude

Great memories of the Amiga, I still kick myself for selling mine. Too many great games to mention.

DennisK4 said:
I loved that game so much...

First game I played on the Amiga. Got tons of hours out of that one.

AlexMogil said:
First... there was MENACE... now Psygnosis presents... a DMA designed game....

BLOOD MONEY.
This blew my mind when I first saw it. I remember raving about it to my friends at school the next day, describing the asteroids that came towards the screen as looking "really...real!" :lol

I've collected most of the games I used to have copies of, and it's awesome to see the boxes lined up. In my defense though, I bought as many games as I could back then, even if that wasn't much for a 10-year-old.

My absolute favourites: Flashback, Another World, Pinball Fantasies, Frontier, Lemmings 2 and Turrican 2.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
SiegfriedFM said:
I've collected most of the games I used to have copies of, and it's awesome to see the boxes lined up. In my defense though, I bought as many games as I could back then, even if that wasn't much for a 10-year-old.

Me too! Although I'm collecting just about everything, not only those I used to play and love. I have a wall of Amiga games now. I only had two or three originals at the most back then. I didn't get a lot of weekly allowence, so I very rarely had the money to buy anything. I spent them on Maxell DD Disks instead, a 10 pack a week or so, to copy the games from friends.

yurinka

StarEye said:
The Amiga is basically my youth. I didn't get anything else until '97, so the Amiga was my sole source of gaming. And to be honest, I can't say I missed anything. Despite what everyone is saying, the Amiga had great platformers that I love more than anything Mario or Sonic. Like Superfrog. There's some strange ideas going on that if it's not on a SEGA or a Nintendo platform, it's not worth playing.

The good thing about the Amiga games, was the diversity. We had fantastic football games like Sensible World of Soccer, GOAL! and Kick Off 2 - and to be honest, after trying out basically every football game released on NES/SNES/Megadrive, none of them comes close to the fun and playability of those Amiga games. Then we had adventure games, like Monkey Island 1 and 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3 and 5 plus many many more - too numerous to mention really. The time of the Amiga was the golden age of adventure gaming.

Racers? Lotus 1, 2, 3, Formula One Grand Prix, Stunt Car Racer, Nitro, Super Cars 1 and 2, Jaguar XJ220, Overdrive, All Terrain Racing

Strategy - Civilization, The Settlers, K240, Utopia, Sim City

Puzzles - Push Over, Lemmings, Troddlers, The Humans, The Lost Vikings

Run and Gun: Turrican, Ruff'n'Tumble

Space sim: Elite 1, 2, Epic

Oddities: Viz, Weird Dreams, (Silly) Putty

Golf: Nick Faldo's Championship Golf, PGA European Tour, Sensible Golf

Shoot'em ups: Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Warzone, Disposable Hero, Project X

Arcade: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars, Qwak, Fuzzball

Just to mention a tiny portion of it...
You forgot a shit ton of games, obviously. I'll mention one not so popular:

Logical - A puzzle where you had to move 4 balls of the same color in a circle to break them. You had to break balls in all the circles to clear the level before the time runs out.

Awesome music and gameplay, really fun and innovative. And after some levels, it just got crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tpj7qZcgQ8

Back in the day you were posh if you had an amiga, i had to make do with a amstrad cpc 464 with a green screen moniter im sure its the reason im now colour blind with my worst colour being green. Dman you you posh buggers. My mate had an amiga and we use to play the football management on it for hours and hours.:lol

Gowans

Ahh Moonstone, I remeber that wouldn't work on my plus and was gutted, tryed for ages to get a boot disk to fix it.

Lord Error said:
Warhead was just so amazing. I can't even quantify what is it about that game, but it was just unbelievably fascinating. Every other space combat game after it, to this day, felt like crap in comparison.

29eis9g.png

Played it on the Atari ST but yes, also my favorite of all time. Extremely realistic physics too though not necessarily realistic - it's hard to imagine now that we wouldn't have autopilots for basically everything. ;) Oh, and 0001001011101110100 bitches! :lol

I had both the Atari ST and then later the Amiga 600HD to play everything that I'd missed, and boy I loved both of them. Gods, Blood Money, Xenon 2, Populous 2, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, SuperFrog, Alien Breed, Virus, Body Blows, Barbarian, Sierra adventures (great on Atari ST with the MIDI out, I had a Roland MT-32 at some point, though that was even better supported on PC), Gauntlet 2, Stunt Car Racer, F1 GP, I could go on forever. Amiga was better at most stuff (2D and most notably sound). Only for 3D the Atari ST typically had slightly better framerates. I think the ST had like a 8Mhz vs the Amiga 7.1Mhz Motorola 68000 processor or something?

Anyway, just great times. And not unimportantly, both platforms typically had both the Mouse and Keyboard AND a joystick available. So they had the best of both worlds. I'm actually hoping that Move on PS3 will bring some of that magic and breadth to 'consoles'. Shame that Linux wasn't more fully supported, as it could have made the PS3 a real spiritual successor to the Amiga.

Nobody mentioned Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. For shame, one of the few games my parents played. Always fun

My mother also loved to play Shanghai(not me) and Boulderdash(fuck yeah) or variations of it.

I still have mine, it should still work. I remember the day I got mine 1MB upgrade for it. Holy shit, what a world of difference for the games I had.:lol

The Lotus racing games were among my favorite games, played them to death.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fabulous computer.

My dad bought me an A500 for christmas 1986. £499 + VAT, so £576 (I still have the receipt as a memento as it was such a large amount of money for us). Also bought a philips monitor to go with it.

Stunt car racer, Wings of fury, the sentinel, vroom, skidmarks, cannon fodder, sensible soccer, FA-18 interceptor, starglider 2, carrier command, gravity force, . So many great games. I think there was only ever one Atari ST exclusive I wanted badly - Oids.

anyone remember that program that made mountain scenes from fractal things? Vista or something? that was great fun.

Fond memories of drooling over 68040 coprocessors. Good times

edit: oh god warhead. Amazing game. BERSERKER! No idea how they created such an atmosphere, but even routine patrols were tense, even when nothing happened.

Superfrog

I jumped in lately in 1990 with an A500 (1MB RAM, second disk drive) and eventually replaced it with an A1200 (210MB HDD, extra 4MB Fast RAM, turbo card accelerated). Great memories, Amigas are the greatest home computers ever made. I still have a CD32 with a library of games to bring back the memories any time I want. :)

missile

The Amiga was my second computer, but my first love so to speak. Great games and
programs to play with. The Amiga really got me started esp. in terms of graphics and
later on in math and programming.

reflection2amiga.jpg

Reflection 2.0, a raytracer I've spent hundreds of hours with.

Some great memories ...

3274_box1.jpg

2984_box1.jpg

2754_box1.jpg

2909_box1.jpg

... ad infinitum.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looking back at it, without hindsight, it is pretty shocking that with the sole exception of the Macintosh none of these closed computers lived on. What would a modern day Amiga be like?

open source linux....amiga was basically a unix box

Porkepik

AAaahhhh so many great memories, my most loved machine of all times, still have it working back in belgium, My parents should bring it back to me problem is finding a monitor. All my teens years memories just got brought back (yeah I'm old I know) :)

ShapeGSX

I had the rare Amiga 3000T with a 68060, 88MB of RAM, and a Piccolo SD64 graphics card. It was about the most powerful Amiga you could assemble. I sold it in 2000 for around $1000 to support my car habit. It bought me a front mount intercooler for my 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.

missile

Flying_Phoenix said:
Looking back at it, without hindsight, it is pretty shocking that with the sole exception of the Macintosh none of these closed computers lived on. What would a modern day Amiga be like?
Personally, in a given way, the PS3 + OtherOS + fully addressable RSX was the
Amiga 5000 I ever wanted (a very powerful embedded system). Unfortunately the
RSX was locked out and the OtherOS was killed. lol Anyway, I still have the
OtherOS running. So I still have this feeling of my Amiga 5000 even if I can't
use the RSX. You know what? Fuck the RSX. Software rendering for the win! :D
It's quite interesting to write a parallel 3-d rasterizer on Cell, lots of
old-school techniques can be applied nobody knows anymore. The situation has
changed since 1997 (Monster 3D). Just ask a cg student right next to you to
raster a line or scan convert a polygon. Impossible!

Graduated from the family C64 to my own Amiga 500 then 1200 back in the day. So many great games.

We used to have Amiga lan parties playing stuff like Stunt Car Racer and Falcon over the serial link. We'd set the two machines up in different rooms and then use a crappy intercom system to hurl insults at one another.

Also - split-screen RPG awesomeness from stuff like Bloodwych and Hired Guns. Hired Guns with (I think) one player on mouse, one on joystick and two on either end of the keyboard was stupid but fun.

Amiga, I salute you old friend.

Curufinwe

Anyone else love Batman the Movie on the Amiga?

Batman:AA was a great game, but it was by no means the first great Batman game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
also. amiga is so awesome that it helped me fix my dualshock 3 r2 trigger.

a spring from a disk fit in there and it works better than ever

nolookjones said:
open source linux....amiga was basically a unix box

Isn't OS X as well?

I'm referring to computers where the operating system and hardware is solely tied to one manufacturer.

How would their computer be designed? What hardware would they have used? What would their operating system be like? Etc.

missile said:
Personally, in a given way, the PS3 + OtherOS + fully addressable RSX was the
Amiga 5000 I ever wanted (a very powerful embedded system). Unfortunately the
RSX was locked out and the OtherOS was killed. lol Anyway, I still have the
OtherOS running. So I still have this feeling of my Amiga 5000 even if I can't
use the RSX. You know what? Fuck the RSX. Software rendering for the win! :D
It's quite interesting to write a parallel 3-d rasterizer on Cell, lots of
old-school techniques can be applied nobody knows anymore. The situation has
changed since 1997 (Monster 3D). Just ask a cg student right next to you to
raster a line or scan convert a polygon. Impossible!

I'm seriously thinking of making a thread about close manufacturer computer systems (...okay people what's the correct terminology for this?). I'm just worried that it will turn into a shit storm. Plus I already did a thread kind of similar to it.

I very rarely bought originals to be honest, my grandad used to bring me copies of games home on fridays that one of his employees would do for me. Was always a great surprise seeing what was going to come next.

Also all copied games seemed to be hacked and have options before loading to enable infinite lives etc

I remember he once took me to a local game shop and thy would let you try anything before buying it, i settle for a game called Premiere cause the graphics amazed me.

Anyone remember American Gladiators? It was awesome but tended to crash on me

Top Bottom