• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh wow - the Amiga is 25! AMIGA APPRECIATION THREAD

Gorgon

Sapiens said:
Serious lack of screens in this thread.

Amiga fans ain't care.

My Photobucket account is almost at max.

Keep this thread alive until next month, folks! :lol

EDIT: OK, but just a few! :lol

EDIT: oh, you meant screeshots :lol . Jesus, I'm slow today. Anyway, GREAT BOXART TO REMINISCE! :lol

I'm off to bed now

Alcatraz.jpg

BAT.jpg

Bloodwych.jpg

Deuteros.jpg

DragonsBreath.jpg

HeartofChina.jpg

Heimdall.jpg

HiredGuns.jpg

LaserSquad.jpg

LeatherGodessesII.jpg

LostPatrol.jpg

Myth.jpg

NarcoPolice.jpg

Panza.jpg

Perihelion.jpg

Powermonger.jpg

RickDangerousII.jpg

RiseoftheDragon.jpg

SabreTeam.jpg

Rome3.jpg

ShadowoftheBeast.jpg

Speedball.jpg

Transartica.jpg

Unreal.jpg

Utopia.jpg

Storm.jpg

Enough!

Mar

Never had an Amiga, which makes me sad for a number of reasons. The main one being that I missed out on a special age of gaming. I could never afford one though. I was too busy spending all my money on C64 games and in the arcades.

i had a pimped out A500 with 2meg of ram, a 40meg HDD and OS 1.3/2.1 switching on reboot

i haven't loved a computer since like i loved that computer. like has been mentioned, not just the games, which were many and awesome, but when i was done playing games I'd be using DTP software to do my schoolwork, Sculpt4D, lightwave & deluxepaint to make (crappy) animations and pictures, and write my own games in AMOS. I went on to use it heaps for writing music (octamed!) when i was younger so i blame it for getting me into this techno business.

still have the amiga in a suitcase in the spare room. i've set it up a couple of times over the years for a reminisce but atm i'm lacking a functional mouse. i'll probably have to buy a new amiga to get a mouse.

oh yeah. BEST OS EVER. do you like fish disks?

edit: now that i think back, that 40mg hdd cost at least double, probably more, than what a terabyte external costs now. and had less storage than an SD card the size of my little fingernail. wowee

m3k

didnt own one, but was playing them a few times a week at friends houses when i was little

love the amiga, my friend in primary school had an amiga 500 with the switch to make it a thousand or whatever

i must purchase the amiga emulator/license i really want to play a few amiga games
such a good games machine

whats that top down shooter with aliens ... atmospheric aliens type game, had to preserve ammo? alien something 2 lol?

Curufinwe said:
Anyone else love Batman the Movie on the Amiga?

Batman:AA was a great game, but it was by no means the first great Batman game.

as much as i love the amiga i gota call you out on that....your talking about that ocean batman game? decent music but thats about it...

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Loved my Amiga, apart from the great original games like Battle Squadron, Shadow of the Beast, Batman the movie, Chaos engine, Speed ball 2, etc.

It also housed great Arcade ports, Bad dudes vs Dragon ninja, Midnight Resistance, UN squadron, New Zea land Story, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Toki etc etc.

And I played Monkey Island on it plus the other Lucas Arts point and click adventures.

This mix of great ports and great original titles made the Amiga time such an incredible joy

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can't believe noone posted a link to the amazing Nexus 7 scene demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFTW10Piyw

The scene with the little desk lamp, that was rendered entirely using realtime inverse kinematics simply killed me when I first saw it. Perfect visuals with perfect music.

9 Fingers was already posted, but I have to mention it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoYzwib7JQ

That thing is literally a miracle of compression. To see something like that fit on two 3.5" discs and played back on Amiga 500 was just unbelievable.

noquarter

Amiga was how I played my first videogame, Marble Madness. Loved it. Also got to play some Arctic Fox and a plane game were you shot down aliens. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time and these games really got me into videogames.

Another one we had was Battle Chess. Think we also had 1 on 1 Bird vs Jordan.

Wish my dad wouldn't have gotten rid of all his Amiga stuff :(. Also wish I remembered it better.

In those days I had an Atari ST but quite fast I realized that for me as a gamer it was suboptimal.
My cousin got an Amiga and from this point on I was full of envy but went full fanboy mode and defended the ST like my life was depending on it. :lol

I bought an Amiga 2000 some years ago to catch up to my childhood dreams. Such a wonderful machine.

missile

@Gorgon: I have to say the cover design back then are a lot more appealing to me
than today's one. Anyone?

Flying_Phoenix said:
... I'm seriously thinking of making a thread about close manufacturer computer systems (...okay people what's the correct terminology for this?). I'm just worried that it will turn into a shit storm. Plus I already did a thread kind of similar to it.
Don't know if there is a special name to it. But what about 'Entire Computer
Systems'? What ever you do in your supposed thread, define what you mean
within the first lines, otherwise the sh!t storm will rise on you.

MadmanUK

Ding said:
Did anyone use one of these joysticks? They were awesome. Click-tastic.

konix_speedking.jpg

Those indeed were the days....

No way, that stick will f you up. That sort of shit is what made Steven Hawking how he is today.

This is the real deal Holyfield-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Being a kid and having an Amiga 600, a NES AND a Gameboy was great. You got the best of European and Japanese games.

Gorgon

missile said:
@Gorgon: I have to say the cover design back then are a lot more appealing to me
than today's one. Anyone?

Maybe. I'm not sure if it's the cover design or looking back at them with the tinted glasses of nostalgy. However, when you have some big boxes instead of a small DVD-size box you end up with more space to do some crazy cool shit. On top of that in those days there was more reliance on traditional methods of illustration, while nowadays things are way more "photoshopy".

It´s fun to think about all these games again.

Powermonger - really never got the game. Was it any good?
Heart of China - it came on so many discs that I assume that it was great? :lol
Walker - great fun back then, but I don´t think that it offers that much today.
Utopia - one of my first games for the Amiga. Really loved it, and it´s a shame that I missed the expansion.

ckohler

My love for Amiga is forever. I still have my A1200. Also, I ran a BBS on this:

1_2560.jpg

It was awesome. Because of the Amiga's advanced, preemptive multi-tasking operating system you could run multiple BBS nodes in the background of your desktop! This was before any PC could have more than one node on a single computer, much less multiple nodes running in the background of a GUI.

Gorgon

CecilRousso said:
It´s fun to think about all these games again.

Powermonger - really never got the game. Was it any good?
Heart of China - it came on so many discs that I assume that it was great? :lol
Walker - great fun back then, but I don´t think that it offers that much today.
Utopia - one of my first games for the Amiga. Really loved it, and it´s a shame that I missed the expansion.

Pwermonger was ok, nothing special. But I have fond memories. Heart of China was superb, great story, fantastic atmosphere. No one makes games like that anymore.

ckohler said:
My love for Amiga is forever. I still have my A1200. Also, I ran a BBS on this:

It was awesome. Because of the Amiga's advanced, preemptive multi-tasking operating system you could run multiple BBS nodes in the background of your desktop! This was before any PC could have more than one node on a single computer, much less multiple nodes running in the background of a GUI.

i ran bbs's too on my 64 and amiga...dont remember all the software i used though since its been so long...

as for the controllers my fav was made by kraft

kraft.jpg

Gorgon

I keep imagining a moders version of Transartica. It woudn't even be very expensive. They could render the world in 3D, which amounts to little more than wide frozen spaces. The cities and towns for the most part are small and not very different from the Old West towns. Since you don't really navigate trough them you could just re-use a lot of assets and populate them with NPCs to give the illusion of activity. No need to render interiors at all or make something very detailed. Something comparable to the Silent Hunter games would suffice. Then they could render those trains in beautiful 3D models, with at least some of the wagons with 3D interiors. It woudn't be more expensive than a Silent Hunter game.

A man can dream.

PS: fuuuck, I didn't know they released the translation of the first book in english! Maybe I'll bite! :D

dose said:
(Hired Guns)

I loved this game back in the day, but there's so little written anywhere about it. It's one of those games that you'd imagine would have been obsessively picked apart on gamefaqs or fan websites, but its legions of secrets remain just that - secret. There's pretty much nothing in depth about it on the internet aside from the usual reviews, etc.

I completed it way back when but Jesus was it hard, and there was a huuge amount of stuff I'm sure I missed. I wonder how many people ever bothered to explore the water at the start of the first level, thus missing the massive amount of hidden stuff in there? Ditto also silly stuff like the deadly banana gun, or finding the mounted machinegun (is there even more than one in the entire game?). I barely even scratched the surface of all the psi-amps.

Something else that annoyed the hell out of me as a kid: In my copy the novella had blank middle pages, I wonder if all copies were like that? Then we've got the rumoured unreleased super Amiga 1200 version that apparently had (at least) better sound effects, and possibly better graphics. Did that ever surface? They clearly put a lot of thought and effort into the scenario and characters, even if amusingly little of that actually translated into the game, and it's doubly sad the sequel was a clumsy mess that probably deserved to be canned when it did. Oh well.

Sapiens

Elfish said:
The AI was frustratingly hard but the gameplay was good for it's time though.
It was a blast to play against friends.

Good for it's time in 1996?

Looks like an early 90s MK clone.

By 1996, the civilized world had moved onto SFA2 on Saturn and PSX.

Is it just me, or do most of these Amiga games look fooking terrible?

I get the impression that most of the worthwhile softs were ported to the SNES/MD.

Gorgon

Sapiens said:
Is it just me, or do most of these Amiga games look fooking terrible?

I get the impression that most of the worthwhile softs were ported to the SNES/MD.

>_>

<_<

At the time they didn't look fucking terrible. They looked AWSOME, specially compared with PCs of the time. That changed in the early 90's, though.

The SNES was released in 1990. The first Amiga came out in 1985. A full "gen", if you prefer. Hardly surprising the games looked better.

Amiga is the retro platform I am most fond of. It wasn't my first and doesn't have my favourite games but it just a great user base and mix of software with what seemed like the best of the console and PC world for a while.

I single out for remembrance the music in Dune by Stéphan Picq and to the Zeewolf games. Zeewolf probably isn't remembered by most but it is an arcade helicopter style game that went up against EA's multi platform *Strike series and compares very favourably. You could control it with a digital joystick but it really came alive with the unique and satisfyingly twitchy mouse controls.

Zeewolf_Coverart.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLd8g75NBY

And Ocean did two Batman games before the movie game. They are both considered to be better than it by many.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gorgon said:
>_>

<_<

At the time they didn't look fucking terrible. They looked AWSOME, specially compared with PCs of the time. That changed in the early 90's, though.

The SNES was released in 1990. The first Amiga came out in 1985. A full "gen", if you prefer. Hardly surprising the games looked better.

There's also plenty of worthwhile software not released on SNES or Megadrive. Like Moonstone and Ruff'n'Tumble (which graphically rivaled anything on the SNES or Megadrive easily). Not to mention many which were weren't as good on SNES or Megadrive. Like Sensible Soccer, Goal! or Lotus.

Fularu

Banned
nolookjones said:
i found them similar esp the command line (shell)
They had nothing in common.

Sure the Amiga had a "shell" (CLI for command line instructions) and an Amiga version of REXX (AREXX, obviously) but the internal structure, the memory management, the OS features, they weren't anything like before. Especially the memory management... Oh how much I loved using my available memory as a disk (RAM Disk anyone?)

Hell the multitasking abilities were unmatched till late in the Win9x cycle.

Fularu

Banned
Lord Error said:
Can't believe noone posted a link to the amazing Nexus 7 scene demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFTW10Piyw

The scene with the little desk lamp, that was rendered entirely using realtime inverse kinematics simply killed me when I first saw it. Perfect visuals with perfect music.

Won the first place at The Party 94 ;) I was preparing an AGA demo post, but have to do it again (stupid crash). Nexus 7 is far, far from the most amazing/artistic AGA demo though. The most artistic one goes to "Factory" by Virtual Dreams (Alien, if you read this, you were amazing).

9 Fingers was already posted, but I have to mention it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoYzwib7JQ

That thing is literally a miracle of compression. To see something like that fit on two 3.5" discs and played back on Amiga 500 was just unbelievable.
My best pal at the time complained about how ugly the girls were :lol

Acosta

Best system I never had, which I fully regreat but it couldn't be helped, I had no money for it. Happy birthday!

It may interest people in this thread, Tim Wright (Cold Storage) is making a disco to celebrate Psygnosis's 25 aniversay, and put most of it's music to be voted (including classics tracks from Agony, Shadow of the Beast or Lemmings). The voting is closed, but the music is still there for listening.

http://www.icecubes.org.uk/vote/

ambalek said:
Does anyone remember Liberation?

It was kind of like Deus Ex, but with a cross between Dungeon Master 3D and modern graphics.

With added Northern accents!

Embarrassingly I could never get very far into it, and never even solved the first case. Even back then it was a quite peculiar game, and the atmosphere created by the crude 3D and the laughable voice acting was more surreal than dystopian.

I remember I had both a CD32 but also a souped up A1200 with CDROM drive, and spent ages crafting an elaborate boot disk that would play Liberation with its intro etc, as the cd.device I used wasn't 100% compatible with the CD32 one causing the game to crash once the intro started. It would call the video player program and then a seperate command line cd audio player to play the sound (which was red book). Jesus fuck, bored teenagers will do anything to play videogames.

ambalek

Strummerjones said:
With added Northern accents!

Embarrassingly I could never get very far into it, and never even solved the first case. Even back then it was a quite peculiar game, and the atmosphere created by the crude 3D and the laughable voice acting was more surreal than dystopian.

It was difficult to actually know what you were meant to do, but the sci-fi setting and 3D character models got me hooked. It was strangely difficult to actually game over in that game.

Another interesting open 3D game was Hunter, I got seriously obsessed with that.

Top Bottom