• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Officer Shoots Newspaper Photographer w/o Warning

Syriel

Andy Grimm, a photographer for the New Carlisle News, left the office at about 10 p.m. to take pictures of lightning when he came across a traffic stop and decided to take photos, according to the paper’s publisher, Dale Grimm.

“He said he got out, parked under a light in plain view of the deputy, with a press pass around his neck,” Grimm told The Washington Post. “He was setting up his camera, and he heard pops.”

Clark County Sheriff’s Deputy Jake Shaw did not give any warnings before he fired, striking Andy Grimm on the side, according to the paper.

A spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office was not immediately available for comment Tuesday morning. It also remains unclear if Shaw has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in officer-involved shootings, or if he will face disciplinary actions.

Andy Grimm, who knows Shaw, said he does not want the officer to be fired, the paper reported.

“I know Jake,” he said. “I like Jake.”

Source:
The photographer wanting to forgive the officer is fine, and not uncommon in a small town where most people know each other, but stuff like this is over-the-line.

There is no reason for an officer to simply start firing w/o warning, especially at a member of the press. That's not a "accident." It is reckless negligence at best.

entremet

What a bizarre story. Shooting a photographer setting up his shot? I really don't understand the confusion here.

Andy Grimm, who knows Shaw, said he does not want the officer to be fired, the paper reported.

“I know Jake,” he said. “I like Jake.”

Babe, that's nice n all, but he shot you for no reason

HE

FUCKING

SHOT

YOU

I guess the officer thought the photographer was setting up a gattling gun or some anti tank missile, it happens...lol!

So he got shot for taking pictures of lightning?

What?

I'm confused.

Why the hell did the cop shoot him?

EDIT:

Officer shoots Ohio newspaper photographer after confusing his tripod and camera for a gun.

Might want to put that in the OP.

Oppo

HE

FUCKING

SHOT

YOY

guys. it's a piece of a quote. he probably had more nuance to offer here.

i know the militarization of US cops is out of control but i guess i want to believe that this was an accidental discharge. probably silly but what can i say.

Wads

Banned
A guy that mistakes a tripod and camera for a weapon and fires without warning is exactly the type of officer that should be fired.

I understand it's a small town, but come on...

I'm so sorry, Andy! I confused this:

0ea3f1b0-7695-4d0d-8dac-46e5d28208a8_1.a0f2a2329072df34f658e20e9314a499.jpeg

For this:

TheYanger

A guy that mistakes a tripod and camera for a weapon and fires without warning is exactly the type of officer that should be fired.

I understand it's a small town, but come on...

This. I totally buy that it's a 'good guy' that thought they saw someone setting up to go on an assault rifle rampage or whatever, Buuuuut the fact that that's what they saw from a photographer setting up a camera means they shouldn't be a cop no matter how well intentioned it was.

____

Police once again offer a fine display of a measured response to an actual threat, as usual. SMFH.

Cipherr

How do you mistake a tripod for a gun? Did he think this guy was fresh off the choppa from hunting predators and decided to mount a gatling gun and shoot him down while he was on a traffic stop?

That makes no sense and indicates a ridiculous level of paranoia.

entremet

What makes this crazier is that this seems like a small town, which generally have lower violent crime rates. Why the paranoia?

MechaX

How do you mistake a tripod for a gun? Did he think this guy was fresh off the choppa from hunting predators and decided to mount a gatling gun and shoot him down while he was on a traffic stop?

That makes no sense and indicates a ridiculous level of paranoia.

That's definitely what was going through that Cop's mind.

Of course, the cop would have to think he's patrolling Mega fucking City One to even think someone is going to mount a Gatling gun in broad fucking daylight to take him out.

daveo42

Banned
What a bizarre story. Shooting a photographer setting up his shot? I really don't understand the confusion here.

I heard this on the news this morning. Supposedly what happened is that the photographer was taking nighttime photos and then saw a traffic incident. He went over to take a photos of the incident and the officer fired, thinking it was a weapon. Why the officer didn't say something first and just fire? That I don't really know. Was the officer white and the photographer non-white?

That's definitely what was going through that Cop's mind.

Of course, the cop would have to think he's patrolling Mega fucking City One to even think someone is going to mount a Gatling gun in broad fucking daylight to take him out.

Because 10pm is "broad fucking daylight" now

So cop of the year here thinks he sees a gun but why doesn't he shout at the person he thinks has a gun to stand down first?

I heard this on the news this morning. Supposedly what happened is that the photographer was taking nighttime photos and then saw a traffic incident. He went over to take a photos of the incident and the officer fired, thinking it was a weapon. Why the officer didn't say something first and just fire? That I don't really know. Was the officer white and the photographer non-white?

The photographer in question is white. Not sure about the officer.

Meier

HE

FUCKING

SHOT

YOU

I imagine that if this is a small town that the photographer also probably has to at least consider people turning on him if he's publicly speaking out against a sheriff's deputy. :\

I guess the officer thought the photographer was setting up a gattling gun or some anti tank missile, it happens...lol!

This is the only thing I can think of. Even so, surely some kind of warning "get down on the ground" or "step away from the weapon" should have been in order before opening fire?!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That's nice and all Andy, but Jake is an incompetent idiot who is clearly a danger to society, and your willingness to be easy on him will lead to him continuing his stunning incompetence until someone ends up dead. So fuck both Andy and Jake, fucking idiots.

Top Bottom