• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presence of Russian photographer in Oval Office raises alarms

Tovarisc

A photographer for a Russian state-owned news agency was allowed into the Oval Office on Wednesday during President Trump's meeting with Russian diplomats, a level of access that was criticized by former U.S. intelligence officials as a potential security breach.

The officials cited the danger that a listening device or other surveillance equipment could have been brought into the Oval Office while hidden in cameras or other electronics. Former U.S. intelligence officials raised questions after photos of Trump's meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov were posted online by the Tass news agency.

Among those commenting on the issue was former deputy CIA director David S. Cohen. Responding to a question posed online about whether it was a sound decision to allow the photographer into the Oval Office, Cohen replied on Twitter: ”No it was not." He declined to elaborate when reached by phone.

The White House played down the danger, saying that the photographer and his equipment were subjected to a security screening before he and it entered the White House grounds. The Russian ”had to go through the same screening as a member of the U.S. press going through the main gate to the [White House] briefing room," a senior administration official said.

Other former intelligence officials also described the access granted to the photographer as a potential security lapse, noting that standard screening for White House visitors would not necessarily detect a sophisticated espionage device.

The administration official also said the White House had been misled about the role of the Russian photographer. Russian officials had described the individual as Lavrov's official photographer without disclosing that he also worked for Tass.

”We were not informed by the Russians that their official photographer was dual-hatted and would be releasing the photographs on the state news agency," the administration official said.

As a result, White House officials said they were surprised to see photos posted online showing Trump not only with Lavrov but also smiling and shaking hands with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

Kislyak has figured prominently in a series of damaging stories for the administration. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn was forced to resign in February over his contacts with Kislyak last year and over misleading statements about the nature of those conversations to Vice President Pence.

The administration official said that ”it is standard practice for ambassadors to accompany their principals, and it is ridiculous to suggest there was anything improper." He added that White House rooms ”are swept routinely" for listening devices.

Source and more at https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2beef8121f7_story.html?utm_term=.6a8325594a8e

C_eXPgqXgAAlT2R.jpg:large

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236431635&postcount=13

Magwik

Banned
As a result, White House officials said they were surprised to see photos posted online showing Trump not only with Lavrov but also smiling and shaking hands with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.
Putin literally fucking with everyone

And Trump won't say a God damn thing about it. He'll blow up at people for looking at him the wrong way, but not Putin. Never Mother Russia.

And yet the administration pretends to act surprised that people won't let up about the Russia-Trump investigations.

How fucking stupid do you have to be?

I for one am glad that we finally got a picture of the President with all his buddies. I was starting to think he'd never smile again!

Amir0x

Banned
Putin must wake up every day skipping like a giddy school girl about going to his latest daily intelligence briefing, realizing that in Trump he has received the most comically inept American president in a hundred years. Every other sentence must be filled with delights, access that he would have previously had to make huge operations around achieving. Now he picks up the phone, pretends Trump is a great man and Trump bends over backwards to suckle his cock. And I'm not just talking a little lickity spit, I mean Trump is slobbing this knob with a ferocity usually reserved for a hate fuck after you find out your significant other is cheating on you.

linkboy

You've got to be fucking shitting me.

Man, I wish the GOP would grow a fucking pair of goddamn balls and do their fucking job instead of being the fucking useless pieces of shit that they are.

cr0w

Old Member
Putin must wake up every day skipping like a giddy school girl about going to his latest daily intelligence briefing, realizing that in Trump he has received the most comically inept American president in a hundred years. Every other sentence must be filled with delights, access that he would have previously had to make huge operations around achieving. Now he picks up the phone, pretends Trump is a great man and Trump bends over backwards to suckle his cock. And I'm not just talking a little lickity spit, I mean Trump is slobbing this knob with a ferocity usually reserved for a hate fuck after you find out your significant other is cheating on you.

Did you have your hand down your pants as you crafted this lovingly detailed work?

"what do you mean I stole the cookies from the cookie jar? Fake news, just because my hand is in the jar and theres crumbs on my face doesn't mean I did it! So what if I sent everyone looking into it out of the room amd invited other people with crumbs on their face instead. What we should be looking into is how this jar got in here in the first place. But lamestream media wont tell you that. After school snack witch hunt!"

Maximo

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

George-Costanza-Prancing-Through-Park.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
security team will do sweeps independent of the donald, but yeah what ever they talked about in private was probably being recorded by someone's camera flash.

But if Trump hired the guys doing security searches, that let these guys in, can you really trust them to have the competency to find well hidden bugs?

Ask yourself this.

akira28

You've got to be fucking shitting me.

Man, I wish the GOP would grow a fucking pair of goddamn balls and do their fucking job instead of being the fucking useless pieces of shit that they are.

the gop was broken and taken over by profiteering culture warriors decades ago. With one hand they preach religious conservatism, with the other they bleed the government dry and make their friends rich to gain later favors that make them rich. So right now they are doing what they have decided their jobs are, which is to occupy their seats and represent their interests.

Defending democracy and the constitution? that's completely optional, and they just don't take part in that bleeding heart stuff.

But if Trump hired the guys doing security searches, that let these guys in, can you really trust them to have the competency to find well hidden bugs?

Ask yourself this.

well Trump wanted his own guys but I think they forced him to stick with the Secret Service. plus the white house comms guys are pretty competent. honestly I'm not worried about anyone hearing what goes on in a Trump oval office. If it ends up on the news thanks to a little Russian bird, it would probably be more embarrassing than actually relevant to national security.

Keeping media out of this event is of the gravest concern. If Russian state media hadn't released these pics to gloat we'd simply have had no way to know that Kislyak was ever there, because his presence was not announced.

Also hilarious in context of reports of Trump wandering around the White House screaming at tvs and asking everyone why the Russia story won't just go away. Because you do stuff like this, you stupid piece of shit.

"remember, we own you"

The only good part here is that this amount of brazen 'look at us just walking in like we own the place, oh wait we do' is absurd enough to wake up Republicans from their induced alternate reality state. Maybe some of you can finally convince your family members to shut off Fox News now, and become sane again.

and btw, where is "nationalist" Steve Bannon when a foreign nation is clearly fucking with his? For a guy who keeps bitching about that stuff (to the EU), he sure bends over real quick when it actually matters. He's not even a good nazi, whom did not, as a matter of fact, bend over.

Top Bottom