• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oil Prices may be dropping, but Ike may change the price of Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i5TtajgUpSm7KY5jf-lCJGHBB-tAD934J1QO1

NEW YORK (AP) — Gasoline prices jumped to unprecedented levels in the wholesale markets Thursday as Hurricane Ike tore across the Gulf of Mexico, threatening to strike Texas and its refineries.

The wholesale price of gasoline ranged from $4 to nearly $5 a gallon at the U.S. Gulf Coast on Thursday, said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst of the Oil Price Information Service in Wall, N.J. That is up significantly from about $3 to $3.30 a gallon on Wednesday, Kloza said.

"We're looking at the highest wholesale prices ever for a huge swath of the country," he said. "People understand that regardless what happens with Ike, it's going to shut down the biggest refining cluster for a period of five, six, seven days."

The wholesale price of gasoline is what refineries charge retailers. Retailers then mark up those prices for the customer so they can make a profit — so if these wholesale prices hold, it could mean that pump prices for U.S. drivers easily break through the July 17 record of $4.114 a gallon.

The average U.S. retail price for gasoline was at $3.671 on Thursday, according to the Oil Price Information Service, auto club AAA and Wright Express.

The market's renewed storm worries arrive a day after the U.S. Energy Department reported a larger-than-expected drop in crude and gasoline inventories, and OPEC decided to cut excess production by about half a million barrels a day.

October gasoline futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange rose 11.74 cents to $2.779 a gallon in morning trading.

But despite the growing worries about Ike, funds continued to liquidate their investments in crude, anticipating a slower global economy and a stronger U.S. dollar.

Light, sweet crude for October delivery fell $1.62 cents to $100.96 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, after dropping as low as $100.85 a barrel in electronic trading. The contract fell 68 cents on Wednesday to settle at $102.58 — the lowest close since April 1.

"It's a strange, strange world here," Kloza said. "You might see an extraordinary thing — you may see crude oil less than $100 and retail gasoline more than $4 a gallon."

Ike, arriving on the heels of last week's Hurricane Gustav, was expected to blow ashore early Saturday somewhere between Corpus Christi and Houston, with some forecasts saying it could become a Category 4 storm.

On Thursday, Ike was a Category 2 storm with winds near 100 mph (161 kph). It was churning about 645 miles (1,038 kilometers) east of Brownsville, Texas, and moving west-northwest at near 9 mph (14.5 kph), after tearing through Cuba and killing at least 80 people in the Caribbean.

Texas is home to 26 refineries that account for one-fourth of U.S. refining capacity, and most are clustered along the Gulf Coast in such places as Houston, Port Arthur and Corpus Christi. Exxon Mobil Corp.'s plant in Baytown, outside Houston, is the nation's largest refinery.

Refineries are built to withstand high winds, but flooding can disrupt operations and — as happened in Louisiana after Gustav — power outages can shut down equipment for days or weeks.

Interesting, good thing this would be temporary, but could still suck.

From my post in the hurricane thread:

Oh hey guys, fill up your tank before the weekend.

Your gas is probably refined in League City, Texas City, Pasadena, Baytown, or Deer Park. Now, go ahead and look where they are located, and compare that to the surge maps.

Even if those places actually do escape most damage, oil speculators are probably going to make the prices go crazy again.

By the by, all of those towns smell like ass and I highly suggest never driving through them unless its absolutely necessary.

Demand is dropping. Good
OPEC is cutting production. (Who cares)
Gas prices will still go down and hurricanes or not, gas prices won't fluctuate as much as they have due to Americans cutting back on their consumption.

I expect oil per barrel to be back around $50-60 bucks this Christmas.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
ConfusingJazz said:
From my post in the hurricane thread:

Oh hey guys, fill up your tank before the weekend.

Your gas is probably refined in League City, Texas City, Pasadena, Baytown, or Deer Park. Now, go ahead and look where they are located, and compare that to the surge maps.

Even if those places actually do escape most damage, oil speculators are probably going to make the prices go crazy again.

By the by, all of those towns smell like ass and I highly suggest never driving through them unless its absolutely necessary.
I'm road tripping this weekend. : (

Gotta use a tank and a half MINIMUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom