• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.
Have y'all played in this?

18620055_10156170374313989_2649272493296482121_n.jpg

Because I have and my answer is Fzero

Qwark

It's close, but I'm gonna say Wipeout because of Zone Mode. I love zone mode, could play that for hours.

It would be incredibly weird to see anyone who has played both say Wipeout with a straight face.

All the Wipeout games have horrible floaty driving controls.

It loses by default for anyone that values, you know, good gameplay in their video games.

Geez dude, you must be fun at parties.

Leatherface

FZERO.

Wipeout has always been fantastic but I am a HUGE Fzero fan. I like the piloting mechanics/weight/tracks much better in FZERO. Wipeout is quality though. I will be picking up my PS4 copy when it drops. If I had to choose though, I wouldn't even look twice at Wipeout.

I mean... F-Zero GX is the best game, but... Unfortunately Nintendo mic-dropped after GX and still hasn't come back out for an encore.

In the meantime we're all left jamming to Wipeout.

correojon

I have only played F-Zero (SNES one), F-Zero X and one WipeOut (don´t know which one it was) and even though I enjoyed WipeOut, F-Zero X was like drug. I played that game for years, the course randomizer provided content forever. Also, F-Zero has the Big Blue theme so it automatically wins. The music from the rest of the series is amazing as well, I still listen to the F-Zero X arranged soundtrack regularly. The WipeOut music was pretty generic electronic themes in comparison.

F-Zero hands down.

EvB

Wipeout has the super cool graphics design and music, but F-Zero has a raw aggression from its lack of weapons (which I never really liked on wipeout) and of course the insane speed and helter skelter tracks and 4 player vs .

F-Zero X is still the best game in the series for me. GX was fantastic , but I always liked X better

mokeyjoe

I've definitely played more F-Zero between X and GX. But Wipeout HD was really incredible...

I don't really know the answer as to which is better, but Wipeout is definitely way cooler.

One is about combat-based barrel roll electronica pumping mind-tripping and the other is F-Zero.

I love both, but WIpeOut HD on PS3 with the Fury DLC and zone mode wins out, just barely. Can't wait for the Omega collection.

Also REALLY want a new friggin' F-Zero.

Tain

Wipeout is more stylish and has some satisfying handling but F-Zero is better.

I think I like Wipeout more without weapons.

SigSig

Extreme-G > Wipeout > F-Zero
Granted, GX gets close, but never really reaches Wipeout.
The best F-Zero has brought to the table is Cpt. Falcon in Smash Bros.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's close, but I'm gonna say Wipeout because of Zone Mode. I love zone mode, could play that for hours.

Geez dude, you must be fun at parties.

I'm no fun because I value tight gameplay in my video games over flashy style?

A decent chunk of those choosing Wipeout are talking about everything they love about Wipeout EXCEPT the gameplay. Which I'd argue is the most important part of a videogame. Especially a racing one.

nampad

Wipeout was the coolest shit ever. It practically distilled every great aspect of a whole generation. The awesome music and the superb graphical design paired with timeless gameplay.

Meanwhile F-zero is a franchise that even Nintendo doesn't care about.

Razgreez

I'm bemused by the "wipeout has floaty/bad" controls comments. Mainly because the vehicles are effectively zero gravity formula racers i.e. they are literally floating and, the controls have always been consistent such that, much like any sim racer, you could improve your times/speed by memorising tracks and improving your racing lines, braking and acceleration points.

I still remember the F1 97 game, also developed by psygnosis, which had a wipeout mode/cheat code which literally turned the formula 1 cars into zero gravity formula racers

tzare

A decent chunk of those choosing Wipeout are talking about everything they love about Wipeout EXCEPT the gameplay. Which I'd argue is the most important part of a videogame. Especially a racing one.
WO has great gameplay. Deal with it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Pretty much. People are saying "wipeout introduced me to [insert band here], so I like it better." By that logic, Spotify is the greatest video game of all time

tzare

I'm bemused by the "wipeout has floaty/bad" controls comments. Mainly because the vehicles are effectively zero gravity formula racers i.e. they are literally floating and, the controls have always been consistent such that, much like any sim racer, you could improve your times/speed by memorising tracks and improving your racing lines, braking and acceleration points.

I still remember the F1 97 game, also developed by psygnosis, which had a wipeout mode/cheat code which literally turned the formula 1 cars into zero gravity formula racers
So true. Probably just are bad at it and need too point somewhere else.

F-Zero, if only because of GX. Wipeout is fun for what it is but like a lot (not all) of Sony properties, it's more style than substance. That can get you pretty far, if executed exceptionally well, but only so far.

FinalAres

Pretty much. People are saying "wipeout introduced me to [insert band here], so I like it better." By that logic, Spotify is the greatest video game of all time
Wipeout has great gameplay, it's nuanced, difficult to master and deep. F zero is just an arcadey, anti grav racer with bland tracks and no art style.

Moofers

In this thread: rabid Nintendo fans who never played Wipeout claim that F-Zero is the better game as if it had even half the impact the Wipeout series had.

Let me ask this question in another way: Which series had you detonating quake bombs while The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy played in the background during the height of the electronica invasion of the late 90s?

Wipeout Forever.

Soltype

I like wipeout and all, but none of the games hold a candle to GX.To be honest, I can't think of any racing game better than GX,the game is a tour de force.

Wipeout has great gameplay, it's nuanced, difficult to master and deep. F zero is just an arcadey, anti grav racer with bland tracks and no art style.

How is F-Zero not nuanced and difficult to master? I don't even know why I'm responding to you after your shitpost anyways.

Well, yes.
Silent Hill introduced me to Lynch ,Francis Bacon, and Jacob's Ladder. Was it a much better game than RE1?

I don't know. Probably not.

But I value it much more.

In this thread: rabid Nintendo fans who never played Wipeout claim that F-Zero is the better game as if it had even half the impact the Wipeout series had.

Let me ask this question in another way: Which series had you detonating quake bombs while The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy played in the background during the height of the electronica invasion of the late 90s?

Wipeout Forever.

Another post from a Wipeout fan that seems to prefer style over substance.

yurinka

Wipeout > F-Zero

F-Zero X was a masterpiece but difficulty curve in games like F-Zero GX and other titles is broken. Wipeout has a way better difficulty curve in most games, a more appealing -to me- art-style (thanks to people like Designers Republic) and sountrack, even considering that the F-Zero music is super awesome.

Like many others, I discovered the good electronic music thanks to Wipeout. Many people started to make electronic music or music for games thanks to Wipeout.

The music, the art style, the controls, track design, game modes, the setting and everything all have a unique personality and mood that made me think that like with some of other PlayStation hits, games like Wipeout started to focus adults too, and not mostly kids and teenagers.

F-Zero was really fun in SNES and back then had impactul visuals, F-Zero X was a masterpiece an my favorite in the series, and F-Zero GX had great visuals but broken gameplay due to difficulty in some areas. It's better to forget the portable F-Zeros.

The overall quality of Wipeout games instead is higher and steady, even considering the portable ones (the PSP titles are some of the best in the series). Only Wipeout Fusion was a weak game.

Another post from a Wipeout fan that seems to prefer style over substance.
Please, stop shitposting.

F-Zero, if only because of GX. Wipeout is fun for what it is but like a lot (not all) of Sony properties, it's more style than substance. That can get you pretty far, if executed exceptionally well, but only so far.
Play Wipeout Pure, Wipeout Pulse or the upcoming Wipeout Omega (that bundles Wipeout HD, Fury and 2048) and you'll notice that you are totally wrong. All these these game excel on substance, game feel and content.

Not only because of all of them -unlike F-Zero- have online multiplayer, their single player modes and local multiplayer are amazing and keep you playing there for years.

Top Bottom