• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ok GAF, sell fallout 4 to me

The New Vegas shit posts continue.

The story and dialogue system in Fallout 4 are bad, but the game does have some redeeming factors. The world is pretty interesting and fun to explore and survival mode introduces mechanics that make the game more worthwhile. So play for the exploration, and character progression.

Yeah say what you will about all the rest of the game, but the moment to moment stuff, those times I am sneaking through the husk of a building downtown as I hear super mutants searching for me, that is fun regardless of anything else.

It might not be enough to save the entire experience, all dependent on what you're looking for, but I can't say I never had fun in it. I mean, I can say I never got to roleplay and that utterly sucked, sure.

Kazooie

Banned
If you sort of liked Skyrim you might sort of like Fallout 4.

The good:
A nice big world
Settlements

The bad:
Combat
Your choices don't make a difference

The ugly:
Generic story
Bad dialogue

Despite the shortcomings I actually got 60+ hours out of it and the Platinum Trophy. But if you've played The Witcher 3 you will find Fallout average in comparison.

The New Vegas shit posts continue.

The story and dialogue system in Fallout 4 are bad, but the game does have some redeeming factors. The world is pretty interesting and fun to explore and survival mode introduces mechanics that make the game more worthwhile. So play for the exploration, and character progression.

Exploration for me falls flat because the context surrounding it is so bad. The environments can look really pretty but why would I want to explore that building on the horizon when I already know it won't feature any meaningful content?

My impression is that most of the locations are filled with some generic enemy type and are used in the radiant quests.

marzlapin

Play it if you like to explore and build things. It's got some cool set pieces and the gunplay is the best in the series.

I think other people have covered the many things they hate about it. I don't disagree on a lot of those points, but I had fun anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Platinumed the game. Ultimately didn't care for the world, which lacked any real engaging quests or uniquely interesting points of interest to stumble upon. The combat may incite responses that paint it as being improved over predecessors, yet it delivers very little positive reinforcement for its lackluster stat-driven RPG/action hybrid shell. Even less can be said of its dialogue trees and player interaction and world progression.

Compared to prior Beth games, I did at least appreciate how the myriad of indoor combat arenas(which is literally all you deal with) at least attempted to provide context for the monster spawns(zambies flooding in through vents crossing trigger points et al.) Overall a slight improvement over just just dealing with prescripted enemies recklessly placed about the corridors for you to murder(which still exist don't get me wrong).

But yea...I would say Fallout 4 is a big fat skip. Really nothing memorable here.

not a big fan of first person games but i enjoy some of them, DEUS EX HR is one example.
i did sort off semi enjoy skyrim.
im a big graphics critique person.
i play on PC.

come at me GAF, why should i play fallout 4?

Since you liked Deus Ex - have you played Dishonored?

Teepo671

It's good fun. I enjoy it more than I did Fallout 3 anyway. Can't speak for New Vegas because I never bothered to play it. Pretty long game, too. I've put 120+ hours into the game mainly doing sidequests. Still haven't completed the main questline yet. I haven't even really bothered with settlement building yet, either. If you're the creative sort I'm guessing the entire settlement building system can keep you busy for hours on end. I've seen some ridiculously impressive settlements built.

Anyhoo, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Bethesda sold me lies.

Mod support is laughable for PS4 from my understanding--hopefully they can push it out before Christmas.

Mr Git

It's a fun open world FPS with loose and badly implemented base building, but one of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

Rival

Gold Member
Do you want to play an open world garbage picking simulator? If so wait until you can get it for 1.99.

void666

Banned
It's a fun open world shooter. The settlement building is a time sink you may enjoy.
Just keep your expectations regarding RPG aspects low. And i mean really low.

I think it's a mediocre game. But i've been playing this mediocre game for over 400 hours.

Reshade and ENB presets can make the game look stunning.

Since you're on PC there are thousands of mods to choose. And it will only get better.

Patrick S.

Banned
Install dialogue mod, install weather mode, install nude mod, play game.

It's like Fallout 3 but bigger and prettier.

Takuan

Well... the graphics are pretty borderline for a current gen game, despite being the best Gamebryo has yet to offer; however, even without mods it can be pretty scenic. It also offers the best gunplay of the series, although that really isn't saying much.

Yeah, maybe just skip it. And ignore those recommending New Vegas. If you're as big on graphics as you claim, all the mods in the world aren't going to make it look pretty to you. The writing is the best the modern series has to offer, but I have my doubts it'll win you over.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I loved it though I never finished new Vegas. Started it now again that it's BC.

I forgot about NV getting BC! I'm going to start a new playthrough

TC, based on your stated tastes, I don't think you will like it

But come back and let us know how it goes

Listening to this is a better experience than playing Fallout 4 on PS4.

cFvA-w.gif

you want me to sell you fallout? fuck, you can have mine for free!

that was a joke and I don't have a free key :L

Exploration for me falls flat because the context surrounding it is so bad. The environments can look really pretty but why would I want to explore that building on the horizon when I already know it won't feature any meaningful content?

frankly that's my biggest problem with the game.

Ascenion

Inon Zur. His Fallout 4 score is fucking godly. He and Jeremy Soule are the epitome of video game composers as far as I'm concerned especially when it comes to ambiance.

Sober

1) Yes
2) Maybe, but ultimately yes
3) Yes (sarcastically)
4) No (but I'll wait for you to come back and say yes)

PowderedToast

I can't believe how disappointing this game was

and that's with appropriate bethesda expectations. they need a complete kick up the arse after this.

A lot of people give it shit (and for good reason). However, I enjoyed my time with it. It’s one of the few games I actually finished last year and kept playing it. It’s definitely a better game than FO3, however I’d say NV is still a better game if you count that. Definitely worth picking up.

Have you ever wanted to play a role playing game without any role playing? That's Fallout 4.

Yeeeeeeep

Frankly, if that's the kind of experience you want to have, then I guess Fallout 4 ain't so bad. Do you want Far Cry, after a 50's future apocalypse, with loot, crafting, and a little bit of choice? If so... I mean a lot of people swear by the game, but it sure as fuck ain't because it's a roleplaying tour-de-force.

You're better off playing New Vegas, but even then, you'd probably want to mod it first.

Kthulhu

Play New Vegas first. Then 3. Then if you're still hungry for more buy 4.

I was disappointed with it but I had a good time. Story was disappointing (except BoS), settlements were too forced, gunplay was a big improvement, power armor is awesome and dumb, RPG system was toned down (you may like that idk you), crafting was cool but getting parts was boring, dialogue system sucked, graphics and animations suck, buggy but that comes with most Bethesda games, and most companions are worthless pack mules.

UberLevi

Fallout 4 is great despite what GAF would have you believe. However, I wouldn't recommend it to you because of your post. If you're going to be particular about the graphics, while a decent looking game, Fallout 4 garnered a lot of negative reception about it's visuals. And if you only partially enjoyed Skyrim and you aren't a big FPS guy then I doubt Fallout 4 will be worth your time.

It's an amazing game that has a lot of content to sift through and the gameplay is solid. But if you're one of those rpg purists who needs wall of text dialogue and stat determinate combat then it's not for you.

The combat is great, some of the characters are really fun, and the world is full of cool shit to find, though. It's definitely something you can sink a lot of time into if you're wanting to shoot things, do side quests, level up, and just advance your character. I can't recommend the game enough to certain people and I can't recommend it at all to others. Just depends on what you're looking for in an RPG.

Top Bottom