• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, so I guess T-Mobile is pretty legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched my s/o's plan and I's to T-Mobile One (from Simple Choice unlimited). It's pretty much the exact same service as before except I added the international plan to my account which comes with unlimited tethering and... well...

n7qhjLO.jpg

I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out but it doesn't. At 30GB I got a text message saying that it's possible my connection speeds could be lowered during peak usage times on towers that are experiencing heavy traffic but so far I haven't noticed any significant slowdown whatsoever. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm in the middle of nowhere at times when I use it the most, which means there's probably no congestion on the tower at all. But yeah...

I'm on a metered connection where I live and I've been using this to update games in Steam (I just did a 7GB update to Dark Souls 3) in addition to the fact that I was using my phone non-stop while I was in the hospital. So this sort of usage won't be typical but good god.

So does anyone know at what point T-Mobile will put a stop to this? I mean, it's not like I'm looking to push my luck, but could it be that my tethering is truly a viable alternative to home internet?

Oh yeah, and it's good enough to play games on. Ping in CS is between 40-60ms.

T-Mobile is a good service. My experience in the city was always great in the country where I have most of my family wasn't that great. Their customer service is also great. But the price difference between them and Verizon wasn't enough to stick with them.

T-Mobiles service used to be questionable, but they have done a fucking amazing job building their service up and offering great competition

T-Mobile is a good service. My experience in the city was always great in the country where I have most of my family wasn't that great. Their customer service is also great. But the price difference between them and Verizon wasn't enough to stick with them.

What is the price difference for 2 lines anyway? Without the international plan ours costs $110 because we don't have auto pay set up. I don't think I would switch because I doubt Verizon's unlimited is quite as unlimited as what I have now.

Apt101

I switched to T-Mobile about four years ago and never looked back. The only downside is spotty coverage when I head up to northern Virginia, but even that is really rare these days.

After fucking with AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in that order, I have no idea what took me so long. All of the other carriers are complete ass compared to T.

wwm0nkey

I love t-mobile. I have auto pay on but going in and out of their stores if I have a problem is so pain free and fast too. When I switched over to Project Fi for awhile I just told them I was and there was no question, they just let me switch painlessly and that was one of the reasons I went back after my s/o wanted to change her phone plan off Verizon

Xero

Does their network still have shit coverage? Thats the only thing thats held me back from them because their pricing is great.

Lifeline

If anyone's looking to switch, switch soon because the 20% off your bill for life codes expire at the end of the month.

I switched from AT&T and I'm saving $60 per month, unlimited data instead of 10gb shared, and awesome freebies on Tuesday's like pizza and Dunkin donuts.

I love them. Never had any gripes as a long time customer.

I even travel through rural areas a lot and have had very few problems.

Prologue

I switched to T-Mobile about four years ago and never looked back. The only downside is spotty coverage when I head up to northern Virginia, but even that is really rare these days.

After fucking with AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in that order, I have no idea what took me so long. All of the other carriers are complete ass compared to T.

I like my cricket :(. But I'm not an unlimited user, just fine with 1g and paying $30 a month with fees included.

Skyr

You got to love how T-Mobile does everything for their US customers and we in Germany get completely fucked over with laughable data plans at ridiculous prices.

Consider yourself lucky guys.

If anyone's looking to switch, switch soon because the 20% off your bill for life codes expire at the end of the month.

I switched from AT&T and I'm saving $60 per month, unlimited data instead of 10gb shared, and awesome freebies on Tuesday's like pizza and Dunkin donuts.
What 20% code?

Zen Aku

T-Mobile is wonderful when you have a signal. Which should be most of the time unless you live in the middle of absolute nowhere.

The only gripe I have with them is that sometimes you will lose signal completely if you go into a tall building. Not sure if they fixed that yet. But when I used to attend this college, I would never get a signal until I leave campus.

You got to love how T-Mobile does everything for their US customers and we in Germany get completely fucked over with laughable data plans at ridiculous prices.

Consider yourself lucky guys.
Haha yes. In Germany T-Mobile is a the highest shit tier.

epmode

Switching from Sprint to T-Mobile was a great idea in north Jersey. I only get 1-3 dots in most areas but the service never drops and it's a thousand times faster. The plan has significantly better terms too.

What is the price difference for 2 lines anyway? Without the international plan ours costs $110 because we don't have auto pay set up. I don't think I would switch because I doubt Verizon's unlimited is quite as unlimited as what I have now.

4 lines with 16GB shared data (rollover when we don't use all our data) and two iPhone 7+ and two iPhone 7 is $207 a month after taxes.

I used to have unlimited T-Mobile and used upwards of 200GB a month before they started to throttle. Don't get me wrong T-Mobile has come a long way. But I had too many dead zones near family and grocery stores or hardware stores 0 signal.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Does their network still have shit coverage? Thats the only thing thats held me back from them because their pricing is great.

My partner had to drive halfway across the country to Texas for work a couple months ago and he said it was mostly fine. Right now he's working a lot near the U.S./Canada border but he's still inside the United States and he roams on Telus even though he can still get access to American towers.

We actually got charged for the calls he made while roaming. We didn't find out until we called T-Mobile to change our plan. They waived the fees for his roaming and made it so his line doesn't ping off international towers when he's near the border. Excellent customer service.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I switched from Verizon a couple years ago and don't regret it at all. When they rolled out 850Mhz spectrum it sealed the deal coverage-wise. The sweet deal you get on international roaming is so useful if you travel.

Hydrus

I've been really wanting to switch from Verizon to them. I live in Southern California. Does anyone know how the service is around these parts? Especially in the middle of nowhere Central Valley.

I would also like to know this
What 20% code?
T-Mobile Hookup deal that offers 20 percent off switchers’ plans ending on March 31
The T-Mobile Hookup offer ends on March 31. That means that if you’ve been thinking about switching to T-Mo or you did recently and you’d like 20 percent off your account, you’ll need to get a Hookup code and use it in the next week.

With the T-Mobile Hookup, you can score 20 percent off all T-Mobile One voice lines for the life of the account when you port your number to T-Mo. You get a Hookup code from a T-Mobile employee, and when you do, you enter on this site. The discount can be applied to up to 12 lines, and it does work with T-Mo’s two lines for $100 per month offer.
www.tmonews.com/2017/03/t-mobile-hookup-deal-offers-20-percent-off-switchers-plans-ending-march-31

GatorBait

Anyone looking to switch? I have permanent 20℅ billing discount for life. Act now, it expires in few days.

I was able to do this with another NeoGaf poster's code. It's awesome. I have unlimited data now and my bill is less than my prior AT&T bill. Can't beat that.

NeOak

Sadly, where I work T-Mobile has no dedicated antennas, they just roam off AT&T and Verizon. So no switch for me :(

BigDug13

What speeds do they throttle you down to? I'm really curious about this. What's the slowest throttle speed anyone has experienced (not counting when your connection strength sucks)?

I loved having T-Mobile but when I moved to Chicago I no longer got service inside of buildings so I had to switch. I would love to go back if they can get that sorted out. Having free data while traveling internationally almost makes me willing to deal with the reception issues locally.

Anyone looking to switch? I have permanent 20℅ billing discount for life. Act now, it expires in few days.

T-Mobile Hookup deal that offers 20 percent off switchers’ plans ending on March 31

www.tmonews.com/2017/03/t-mobile-hookup-deal-offers-20-percent-off-switchers-plans-ending-march-31
Is the code shareable among multiple people? Would appreciate the code is so. Been thinking of hopping off ATT's grandfathered unlimited plan since they keep bumping up the price.

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, how do you get unlimited tethering? My family's been using T-Mobile as our primary internet service provider and the only big downside is the 14GB data cap for tethering, otherwise having unlimited data for just our phones is great. Would love to be able to download game updates when I want to again lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I love T-mobile. After they adjusted their prices when verizon announced unlimited. i switch my plan and my 2 line bill went from 145 to 112. i remember paying about 112 from att with just one line. And to add that data and text are free for me to use in Japan is welcomed.

PSYGN

They are great. I had to switch to Verizon, though, because the reception was shitty where I worked. When traveling on the road I notice more pockets of little to no service with T-Mobile. But if you don't do much traveling outside of the city then you should be good.

Damn, how do you get unlimited tethering? My family's been using T-Mobile as our primary internet service provider and the only big downside is the 14GB data cap for tethering, otherwise having unlimited data for just our phones is great. Would love to be able to download game updates when I want to again lol

It was not easy finding someone who was honest about it being something they actually offer. You have to be on the T-Mobile plan and you need to be on the One Plus International plan. It's a per-line add on.

Snip

YcNkVNs.jpg

Natiko

Banned
I switched thanks in part to a kind gaffer giving me a discount code. Me and my family have had no complaints so far. Glad to be done with AT&T!

Kaizer

Banned
It was not easy finding someone who was honest about it being something they actually offer. You have to be on the T-Mobile plan and you need to be on the One Plus International plan. It's a per-line add on.

Snip

YcNkVNs.jpg

Cool, thanks for this, I'll have to look into it for future reference. We're currently on T-Mobile's Binge On Plan and have two additional lines for free (five lines in total). I need to see what the differences are between Binge On and One are.

CodeNfX

My family is looking to switch this week. Anyone have a spare code can kindly pm me? Would greatly appreciate it!

royalan

Switched to T-Mobile on a whim 3 years ago and have been insanely happy with them.

They've really been knocking it out of the park with giving people options that they care about. And T-Mobile Tuesdays...best perk program I've used on ANY service, period. And luckily I live in one of their hub cities, so my reception is usually great.

If I had one criticism...their choice in phones is a little skimpy. But hey, they're getting both the LG G6 and the Galaxy 8. And one of those phones will be my Next, so eh...

SheHateMe

Their phone selection is what's stopping me from going back.

I had them 7 years ago because they led the way with Android. But then the HTC Evo dropped and I left for Sprint.

I'll never get another iPhone as long as I live, so it's either Samsung, which I'm not a fan of, or LG, which is an unknown for me.

I'm tempted to switch, however. I got 3 lines and I'm paying ~$300 a month for them with Sprint.

I got the $30 a month plan a while ago, so fucking dope. 5GB of data, 100 minutes, unlimited texts. Almost everything is excluded from the data cap, so I never come close to hitting it. I don't talk on the phone much, and if I know it'll be a long convo I just use call through Google Hangouts for free.

Syriel

Their phone selection is what's stopping me from going back.

I had them 7 years ago because they led the way with Android. But then the HTC Evo dropped and I left for Sprint.

I'll never get another iPhone as long as I live, so it's either Samsung, which I'm not a fan of, or LG, which is an unknown for me.

I'm tempted to switch, however. I got 3 lines and I'm paying ~$300 a month for them with Sprint.

What are you talking about?

T-Mobile doesn't have a list of "approved" phones. You can buy whatever device you want and use it so long as it has the proper band support (which most unlocked phones do).

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
T-Mobile is one of the very very very few companies I have any fondness for. Been with them for a really really long time and consistently felt like I was getting a fairer shake than my friends.

TyrantII

Good service in the cities but it can get spotty the more rural you go. Almost all major highways are blanket service or on affiliated towers.

Can't really complain when I'm paying $35/m instead of $90+.

That said next phone I'm going to try GoogleFi, as I heard their network is similar or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom