• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

I am at about 800. Ok people lie when they say in real life i am handsome!

This just means the two or three people who rated you happened to not like you. I wouldn't really worry about it; it's profile views and messages, not ratings, that are going to be a gauge of your success on OKC. Also, most people don't get rated too often, so there's a huge bias in judging attractiveness through star rating. If you're A-List, just look at the 5-stars in your area and note that most of them aren't that cute :p

Bleepey

This just means the two or three people who rated you happened to not like you. I wouldn't really worry about it; it's profile views and messages, not ratings, that are going to be a gauge of your success on OKC. Also, most people don't get rated too often, so there's a huge bias in judging attractiveness through star rating. If you're A-List, just look at the 5-stars in your area and note that most of them aren't that cute :p

I don't think it matters too much, as a guy i doubt being rated 5000+ will mean i will get messaged everyday. When i was on hot or not i got an 8.8 or something, meh.

Shit I got a hot date on Wednesday at an arcade that mostly consists of fighting games and I'm afraid this chick might kick my ass. I haven't been into the fighting genre since UMK3. If we get to the SFIV arcade, I'm also afraid she'll scoff at me for picking Ken or Ryu. Oh gosh, I need to go out and rent these games for practice.

usea

Shit I got a hot date on Wednesday at an arcade that mostly consists of fighting games and I'm afraid this chick might kick my ass. I haven't been into the fighting genre since UMK3. If we get to the SFIV arcade, I'm also afraid she'll scoff at me for picking Ken or Ryu. Oh gosh, I need to go out and rent these games for practice.
Be yourself. Not the obsessive worrying self, but the one who is bad at fighting games. That's OK.

So over the past few weeks I have noticed a lot of women say they hate guys that take shirtless bathroom shots. So I decided I am going to post a bathroom shot of myself with a T-shirt on but no pants just my underwear.

mcrae

what i dont get is that i was rated at 5 stars even though i had received no notifications of people rating me as a 4 or 5. how does that possible?

My profile can't be found -- that's weird.
you cant find your own if you're signed into your account, and double check that you're searching for the right terms (anyone, not girls looking for guys, and anywhere, not within 25km, etc etc) - if you're talking about that website tool some guy named Alex made, it doesnt find some accounts when they overlap with other accounts (ex. mcrae and mcrae123 - im pretty sure one of the two wouldnt be found. not sure which. maybe both, lol)

mcrae

I can't understand this rating stuff. On one bit showing the graphs people seem to really like my picture but then on the pie graph, not so much. It's all over the place. :s

The orange/purple bar graphs are on a per-picture basis, the blue bar graphs and pie chart include all picture you submitted for the report, as far as I can tell

bad at fighting games. That's OK.

bad at fighting games. That's OK.

bad at fighting games

That's OK.

That's OK.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
133192731473.gif

Screw you dude! I still got it! And I'm going to prove it by beasting hardcore style. You'll see!

big_z

so when you read a profile and the girl says something like remember im only as boring as you are is that code for i have the personality of a lump of clay and will be reliant on you to keep things entertaining?

mcrae

so when you read a profile and the girl says something like remember im only as boring as you are is that code for i have the personality of a lump of clay and will be reliant on you to keep things entertaining?

thats the kind of thing i would send in a message to her. go find out

Gozan

How to get some entertainment out of OKC:

1. Have/make a profile.
2. Answer a bunch of questions. At least 100, the more the better.
3. Go to matches.
4. Pick what you want on the "Show me" boxes, though I recommend casting the net as wide as possible.
5. On the "Order by" box, choose "Enemy %". Click search.
6. Goddamn, look at all these douchebags!

Darklord

Banned
So I was chatting to two different girls. With one I sent some messages, got some back. It seemed to be going well, she seemed really nice. Then all of a sudden no reply. Huh, guess she had to go. No biggie I'll probably get one the next day. Next day comes and goes, still no reply. Went to get profile and she was on tonight. Seemed weird cause she seemed interested in chatting too then just an abrupt end. Well damn. Hope the other girl doesn't pull that shit.

So I was chatting to two different girls. With one I sent some messages, got some back. It seemed to be going well, she seemed really nice. Then all of a sudden no reply. Huh, guess she had to go. No biggie I'll probably get one the next day. Next day comes and goes, still no reply. Went to get profile and she was on tonight. Seemed weird cause she seemed interested in chatting too then just an abrupt end. Well damn. Hope the other girl doesn't pull that shit.

Happened to me too. The girl said she would text me. It's been two weeks

That happened to me too with a girl that I had alot in common with. We were into some deep discussion about her beliefs, then all of a sudden she switches it up and starts asking elementary questions and gets to "What do you like most about a woman's body?" I said soft, smooth shoulders and she signed off shortly after that. I think she got a little mad that I didn't start talking about her amazing boob job. :(

Darklord

Banned
So it's a common thing? Well that sucks. It ended mid-conversation with me. I hope she was just busy but if I get no reply today then it's probably it. I though we were hitting it off...

I also need a better fucking picture. I'm shit in photos and I suck at taking them. The only decent ones are pre-weight loss so I look way fatter. No way am I putting those up.

I'm thinking of joining this. Questions for people that have had success with this:

1. Is OK Cupid's research about photos correct? Do male pics without a smile and staring off camera get the most hits? What about action shots? Are eye contact and smiling a no-no?

2. What's the etiquette for posting pics with other people in them? Is that considered a faux pas? I don't have many pictures of just me in them, and if they're supposed to be something other than smiling into the camera, I'd have to fake something.

3. How long do you recommend a typical opening message to be? Hints?

4. How long is best to wait until asking to meet in person? 3 messages, back-and-forth?

mcrae

I'm thinking of joining this. Questions for people that have had success with this:

1. Is OK Cupid's research about photos correct? Do male pics without a smile and staring off camera get the most hits? What about action shots? Are eye contact and smiling a no-no?

2. What's the etiquette for posting pics with other people in them? Is that considered a faux pas? I don't have many pictures of just me in them, and if they're supposed to be something other than smiling into the camera, I'd have to fake something.

4. How long is best to wait until asking to meet in person? 3 messages, back-and-forth?

i'd trust anything they say. they're all about the stats.

post pics with other people in them as long as its like, 4 or less. they arent interested in how large your friendgroup is, they're interested in your physical appearance. ive got a picture with a sister, two pics with two friends, and one pic with 3 people from work. they work well enough to show what i look like from the knee up. (full body view is important in at least 1-2 pics, same as a face shot is nice too) im smiling and looking into the camera in all of them.

all my opening messages are 1 to 4 sentences long, and written in 20 seconds out of impulse. nothing invested = no disapointment if no answer. if you're really desperate and want to maximize your reply rate, maybe spend time crafting a nice message, but i'd still recomend keeping it on the shorter side, dont wanna come on too strong. really this is all just a matter of personal preference and style though.

4. is another simple matter of personal preference. for me its when i reach the point where im thinknig 'fuck, i dont want to type all this out, i'd much rather say it to her in person. so lets ask if she's up for that'

ianp622

1. Probably, although it's not going to be a deal-breaker, it might just give you a slight advantage.
2. I think it's fine, as long as you have other pictures so they can figure out which one you are.
3. My opening message to my only successful date so far (girl of my dreams, but life got in the way) was 500 words. She was extremely beautiful, so I figured I'd give it my all, not expecting anything. If you don't have anything good to say, don't go that long though. I spent quite a bit of time fine tuning that message.
4. Dunno, they always ask me :) One girl just recently asked me out as her first message.

ianp622

Thanks for the answers. More appreciated because...

I can use all the slight advantages I can get.

If you have a good camera, pay attention to the focal length of the lens you're using. If it's too short (<40 mm), your nose will be exaggerated. Generally longer focal lengths are better, but you can get too flat in some cases.

If you have a good camera, pay attention to the focal length of the lens you're using. If it's too short (<40 mm), your nose will be exaggerated. Generally longer focal lengths are better, but you can get too flat in some cases.

I have some friends with Canon 5Ds and 7Ds. A little embarrassed to ask for an Ok Cupid photoshoot, to be honest.

I have some friends with Canon 5Ds and 7Ds. A little embarrassed to ask for an Ok Cupid photoshoot, to be honest.

Just do it...like you said use whatever advantage. Who knows but good chances are that you will be back here like a lot of us wondering why we never hear back from the ladies.

I don't know but I have notice that a lot of women call themselves unique.

Most OKC girls around me are either chubby or punk/goth and skinny as hell. Wtf :/

CENTRAL VALLEY SON!

Don't be.

I'm paying a photographer $59 for a photo session. Be glad you have friends that know photography.

I have a female friend who does headshot photography. I'll ask for something a little less glossy and formal.

But I'll give it a shot. Then I'll be back in here wondering why nobody responds.

mcrae

I have a female friend who does headshot photography. I'll ask for something a little less glossy and formal.

But I'll give it a shot. Then I'll be back in here wondering why nobody responds.

browse the profiles of guys with over a 9000 rating in your area. note the general vibe you get when reading their profiles. then note why you get that feeling, and exactly what they're saying in each section that gives off a good impression. then choose a style that fits you and emulate it. you can copy my ballin ass profile for free

browse the profiles of guys with over a 9000 rating in your area. note the general vibe you get when reading their profiles. then note why you get that feeling, and exactly what they're saying in each section that gives off a good impression. then choose a style that fits you and emulate it. you can copy my ballin ass profile for free

Gimme your balling ass profile!

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm keeping a small hope up given this girl hasnt signed on for a week. But she has my number this whole time too

She is so cute :(

I know the feeling. A few years back I met this girl through Yahoo Personals. I thought she was total catch as she was super cute and seemed to have her stuff together. We went on several dates over a span of a month, talked on the phone, exchanged stupid little gifts for x-mas, all that jazz. After that she literally drops off the face of the Earth. No replies to texts or phone calls. A month later she writes me an incredibly vague e-mail about how life got incredibly busy for her and that she would catch up with me soon. At the time, I was still naive enough to take that kind of thing at face value haha. Never heard back from her after that. Coincidentally enough, she put up a Match.com profile soon there after. Maybe she was expecting an LV bag or something? LOL

I hope the girl you are interested in messages you back. And if she does, you'll probably want to ask her to meetup sooner rather than later. In the meantime you should be messaging other girls that catch your eye. After all, I am 100% certain that every moderately attractive girl is juggling multiple conversations on these sites.

cdyhybrid

Shit, I forgot this thread existed! Posted in the Dating-Age thread instead. Signed up tonight, will check back in when I get time to fill it out. Going to buzz my head tomorrow, anything I should keep in mind when taking a picture for my profile?

RiverBed

Banned
I used Okcupid and it is really free. I hate those sight that trick you with the 'ree' lie.
Oh, and Okcupid worked. It's cool and you can narrow down the search by city and then you can see the miles. very nifty.

mcrae

Gimme your balling ass profile!

ha im not that much of an egoist.. or whatever the word is. plus mines only low 8000s

read as much of this post as you need to

http://www.reddit.com/r/OkCupid/comments/qi8iw/understanding_okc_url_manipulation/

use this url:

http://www.okcupid.com/match?filter...lter5=1,1&filter6=35,2&&filter7=25,8000,10000

and change filter 1, 2, 3, etc, to get what you want. then either message those 5 star girls you looked up, or emulate the profiles of those 5 star guys you just looked up.

Me in my underwear with a shirt on in the rest room= fucking success. I even put "A lot of women say they hate the shirt off in the restroom pic here's a twist." or something along those lines.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Me in my underwear with a shirt on in the rest room= fucking success. I even put "A lot of women say they hate the shirt off in the restroom pic here's a twist." or something along those lines.

They say they don't like it but you know they really do. Shirtless mirror pics for everyone!

I know the feeling. A few years back I met this girl through Yahoo Personals. I thought she was total catch as she was super cute and seemed to have her stuff together. We went on several dates over a span of a month, talked on the phone, exchanged stupid little gifts for x-mas, all that jazz. After that she literally drops off the face of the Earth. No replies to texts or phone calls. A month later she writes me an incredibly vague e-mail about how life got incredibly busy for her and that she would catch up with me soon. At the time, I was still naive enough to take that kind of thing at face value haha. Never heard back from her after that. Coincidentally enough, she put up a Match.com profile soon there after. Maybe she was expecting an LV bag or something? LOL

I hope the girl you are interested in messages you back. And if she does, you'll probably want to ask her to meetup sooner rather than later. In the meantime you should be messaging other girls that catch your eye. After all, I am 100% certain that every moderately attractive girl is juggling multiple conversations on these sites.

Thanks for the feedback, and sucks about what happened to you :( LV bag? Most indeed

I have been messaging other girls, like you mentioned, just no response yet. Lol oh well...

And oh yea I did ask this girl to meet, that's how I ended up giving her my number

ha im not that much of an egoist.. or whatever the word is. plus mines only low 8000s

http://www.reddit.com/r/OkCupid/comments/qi8iw/understanding_okc_url_manipulation/

use this url:

http://www.okcupid.com/match?filter...lter5=1,1&filter6=35,2&&filter7=25,8000,10000

and change filter 1, 2, 3, etc, to get what you want. then either message those 5 star girls you looked up, or emulate the profiles of those 5 star guys you just looked up.

I had no idea this existed. It's like meeting the Others lol

Update: )=

We broke up. We were both too alike (we're far too similar now. She's the female version of me), and I'm not very attracted to her tbh. She rarely wore make up and just wore gaming t-shirts and stuff. She only dressed up nicely one time, and that was the first date. She was too confrontational, as in everything we did ended in arguing and her getting her feelings hurt. Ultimately, it was I who ended the relation. I knew it wasn't working out, and knew she knew. So I met up with her, and we decided to just be friends.

I like it best this way. She's not a bad person, and a good friend, but, not someone I can say I love. Besides, when I'm around her it never felt like we were b/f, g/f, but, more like good friends. She's the type of person you'd want to grab a beer with, or talk video games with. The only downside is, we never had sex. The first date was the only time she's made any suggestion. Despite my efforts. Unlikely she'll be a friends with benefits either, since she finds the concept disgusting.

edit 2: By acting like a guy, I meant it literally. She's confirmed a few times she's always struggled with being a female physically, but mentally being a guy. She dressed real nice that one time because she had low self esteem. She thought I would be disgusted if she told me she was a cross dresser and wanted to be a man. Anyways, as I was saying she doesn't want a sex change because it's expensive and she's afraid of what her family and friends would say.

Which is fine with me. I would support her if she had surgery.

Furio53

use this url:

So i narrowed mine down to 6000... seemingly on the dot. I'm not entirely sure what that means though. I think it's fairly decent?

Update: )=

We broke up. We were both too alike (we're far too similar now. She's the female version of me), and I'm not very attracted to her tbh. She rarely wore make up and just wore gaming t-shirts and stuff. She only dressed up nicely one time, and that was the first date. She was too confrontational, as in everything we did ended in arguing and her getting her feelings hurt. Ultimately, it was I who ended the relation. I knew it wasn't working out, and knew she knew. So I met up with her, and we decided to just be friends.

I like it best this way. She's not a bad person, and a good friend, but, not someone I can say I love. Besides, when I'm around her it never felt like we were b/f, g/f, but, more like good friends. She's the type of person you'd want to grab a beer with, or talk video games with. The only downside is, we never had sex. The first date was the only time she's made any suggestion. Despite my efforts. Unlikely she'll be a friends with benefits either, since she finds the concept disgusting.

edit 2: By acting like a guy, I meant it literally. She's confirmed a few times she's always struggled with being a female physically, but mentally being a guy. She dressed real nice that one time because she had low self esteem. She thought I would be disgusted if she told me she was a cross dresser and wanted to be a man. Anyways, as I was saying she doesn't want a sex change because it's expensive and she's afraid of what her family and friends would say.

Which is fine with me. I would support her if she had surgery.
Sounds like you took it pretty well, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom