• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like she isn't terribly interested, but if she calls you first you should definitely listen to what she has to say. And of course if she flakes again, it's completely a lost cause.

Bah, ended up not working out with the girl I was going out with recently. We went on a few dates and had an excellent time but there was little in the way of romantic chemistry or sparks... I might seriously pursue the friend route with her though since she was actually really fun and easy to talk to. That doesn't usually work out in my experience with failed dates on OKC but it's always worth a shot to make new long term friendships IMO.

Anyways, I just redownloaded the new OKCupid app on Android (probably updated on iPhone to). For the longest time I couldn't login with the app but it seems to work now and they're pushing what seems to be this really cool new "Location" feature that I'm hoping works out. On the main page of the App you can set see people in your immediate vicinity and set a "broadcast message" like, "I'm hanging out at so-and-so bar, come join me!" and then you can choose to immediately respond and chat with them.

I might mess around with that feature more the next time I'm hanging out around Lower East Side, East Village, or bar hopping in Hell's Kitchen (NYC).

Following on from my post just above, I sent her a text earlier asking if she could meet up on Wednesday or Thursday. She just replied back saying she's not sure at the moment, as her pregnant friend is 2 days late (she told me that her friend was due March 6th back at the beginning of February, so I don't doubt her there). I replied back saying that since she's often busy, I'd leave it to her to let me know when/if she wants to arrange something, and contact me.

I won't contact her again for a fair while, and see what happens.

Look, either she's interested or she isn't. We can't know that.

I can assure you that worrying about it doesn't help your cause at all. Just forget her and move on, that way if she does contact you again it will be a pleasant surprise and she won't have all of the power anymore.

Look, either she's interested or she isn't. We can't know that.

I can assure you that worrying about it doesn't help your cause at all. Just forget her and move on, that way if she does contact you again it will be a pleasant surprise and she won't have all of the power anymore.
Stop being so reasonable.

.GqueB.

Banned
FeBbn.jpg

from my twitter feed

is it really like that?

Why would she post that with his face and everything? What a bitch. This is why my main photo doesn't show my face. Avoids instances like this a LITTLE better.

Why would she post that with his face and everything? What a bitch. This is why my main photo doesn't show my face. Avoids instances like this a LITTLE better.
First of all, I don't care what anyone says -- that message is awesome and that guy should feel awesome(after taking some basic English lessons). Second of all, if you're genuinely concerned that girls might be spreading your messages around like that, then maybe it's time to rethink your messages.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, if you're so fortunate as to have that happen, you should be thankful. Most dudes will just keep sending bad messages without anyone telling them that they suck, so they'll never improve. Candid criticism is a precious commodity.

.GqueB.

Banned
This site requires too much work.

It does. I got tired of it within a week. I still go on from time time. Got three dates in that week. The first was terrible but the next two were fine. Gonna see where those go before I go back and try again.

it feels like applying for a job! I've tried to set up a profile, but I get lazy at the "answer a 1000 questions so we can approximate your personality" part. but I'm not cynical about it and would consider using it if I have a bad streak in the future.

.GqueB.

Banned
First of all, I don't care what anyone says -- that message is awesome and that guy should feel awesome(after taking some basic English lessons). Second of all, if you're genuinely concerned that girls might be spreading your messages around like that, then maybe it's time to rethink your messages.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, if you're so fortunate as to have that happen, you should be thankful. Most dudes will just keep sending bad messages without anyone telling them that they suck, so they'll never improve. Candid criticism is a precious commodity.

My messages are fine. I do the typical thing. Point out something in their profile I find interesting and speak on it. I dont send "weird" messages but you never now what a girl will find weird so the thought that she would be so willing to post that with his face in the forefront doesn't sit well with me.

And why would I be fortunate of something like that? A criticism would be her responding explaining why he shouldn't be sending messages like that. This was just her being a bitch and making fun of the dude for sending what he thought was a genuinely decent message.

Bleepey

I could literally go to central London which can be as little as half an hour away depending on time and transport, hit on random girls in the street for an hour and in that time i could get more numbers than on okcupid. I did just that for an hour last Friday and got two numbers, but on OKcupid getting a response from an hour of messaging is damn near impossible. The site is worst than pof! However, the questions are addictive.

Way too much work. I can't be bothered will all of the surveys and questionnaires. Not to mention that the area I live in has a massive shortage of single attractive women. I'd go as far to say that the site is counterproductive because most people would be better off jogging through a local college campus and picking from the women there.

The Lamp

I just signed up for okcupid. I don't think I'd ever tell my friends because they'd judge me, but I think it might be fun to try. For one, since I'm looking for a long-lasting relationship and I'm picky, it's gotta be time consuming to meet and date girls and find out quickly they're not your type and then move on; this seems to streamline that process. On the other hand, I fear only weird/creepy people online date so I'm hesitant to actually take this beyond lighthearted fun. I dunno we'll see lol

Some asshole just had a go at me because I told him I wasn't interested in someone who had kids (he has a daughter). I don't know why this has got me so riled up, but fuck you man!

Kabouter

Some asshole just had a go at me because I told him I wasn't interested in someone who had kids (he has a daughter). I don't know why this has got me so riled up, but fuck you man!

He's probably been rejected quite a few times because he has children, I would imagine that to be the source of the frustration. Still, you don't have a go at someone over that sort of stuff, that's just not cool :/. It's a totally valid objection for someone. I wouldn't be interested in a mother tbh.

Bleepey

Lol i always found it surprising when people who have kids are surprised when people want nothing to do with people with kids

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Sounds like he's probably just frustrated. Not saying you shouldn't feel riled up, but I can't imagine getting a date while having a kid is an easy thing. If he's being a dick, he's being a dick.

Prologue

It's pretty fucking scary how many people put yes to the question about preferring their own race. I mean it's mostly white chicks and I'm white, but still a huge turn off and I'd rather not be around people like that.

Edit: What is a good score on that website, Pilgor?

I remember a few months ago girl answered "yes" in regards to not telling her bf in the case she were to have a one night stand with someone else. I loled. I mean, answering "no" means nothing but still lol.

Bleepey

I just signed up for okcupid. I don't think I'd ever tell my friends because they'd judge me, but I think it might be fun to try. For one, since I'm looking for a long-lasting relationship and I'm picky, it's gotta be time consuming to meet and date girls and find out quickly they're not your type and then move on; this seems to streamline that process. On the other hand, I fear only weird/creepy people online date so I'm hesitant to actually take this beyond lighthearted fun. I dunno we'll see lol

It's much easier for a woman to be picky on dating sites. Men it's very hard if you are a bodybuilding doctor then i am sure you can get messages left right and centre. For the rest of us...I scrolled down for a good minute before i found a man who replied anything less than often. A whole minute!

I kinda wonder if men did not message women for a week, as in they only replied to messages would women be more empathetic to how shitty dating sites are for men. I don't think so cos any remotely attractive girl that messages a guy is likely to get a response.

Futureman

I answered 50 questions and I don't think I'll answer anymore. Do you start seeing more people if you answer more? When I met the 50 question threshold, I didn't notice any new faces on my "matches."

my GF broke up with me about a month ago. I made a profile about a week later. I've had maybe three girls message me, actually didn't respond to any of those.

I've messaged 5 girls. 2 have responded (though one I just messages yesterday so maybe I'll hit that 60% success rate!).

One of the responders I've been going back and forth with. We seem like a great fit. She seemed excited to meet me. I chickened out a little because she's 21 and I'm 27, plus I don't think I'm over my ex-GF yet. So I sent a message saying give me a few weeks to sort my head and I told her to just ignore me if that was annoying. Maybe a bad idea because she didn't respond.

then last night... I was drunk and looked at her profile. She had a last.fm link... and her top listened to band I actually have a tattoo of. Pretty crazy. Sent her a message about that. I think I'll set up a meet if she ever responds again.

Bleepey

I answered 50 questions and I don't think I'll answer anymore. Do you start seeing more people if you answer more? When I met the 50 question threshold, I didn't notice any new faces on my "matches."

my GF broke up with me about a month ago. I made a profile about a week later. I've had maybe three girls message me, actually didn't respond to any of those.

I've messaged 5 girls. 2 have responded (though one I just messages yesterday so maybe I'll hit that 60% success rate!).

One of the responders I've been going back and forth with. We seem like a great fit. She seemed excited to meet me. I chickened out a little because she's 21 and I'm 27, plus I don't think I'm over my ex-GF yet. So I sent a message saying give me a few weeks to sort my head and I told her to just ignore me if that was annoying. Maybe a bad idea because she didn't respond.

then last night... I was drunk and looked at her profile. She had a last.fm link... and her top listened to band I actually have a tattoo of. Pretty crazy. Sent her a message about that. I think I'll set up a meet if she ever responds again.

3 girls message you. Wow.

Darklord

Banned
I came across one profile before in my quiver match thing. She's super cute, very smart, likes similar things that I do and has done part time modeling. High match rating too. I sent her a message, I hope I get a reply but honestly, she's probably out of my league. Sadly, it seems the most compatible never reply back. A few were beautiful and had TONS in common, not even a single message. It seems the lesser in common, the higher chance they reply. Why?

Other than that though, I got a reply from one girl saying she'd like to chat so hey, that's something!

Edit: Oh yeah, what's the consensus on funny, silly or dumb pictures? Like there's one someone told me I should use(not as the primary picture), it's basically me after a huge party and people wrapped me up like a mummy. Not past out or anything, I'm standing up in the picture but is that a wise thing to put up or bad idea?

ianp622

I came across one profile before in my quiver match thing. She's super cute, very smart, likes similar things that I do and has done part time modeling. High match rating too. I sent her a message, I hope I get a reply but honestly, she's probably out of my league. Sadly, it seems the most compatible never reply back. A few were beautiful and had TONS in common, not even a single message. It seems the lesser in common, the higher chance they reply. Why?

Other than that though, I got a reply from one girl saying she'd like to chat so hey, that's something!

Edit: Oh yeah, what's the consensus on funny, silly or dumb pictures? Like there's one someone told me I should use(not as the primary picture), it's basically me after a huge party and people wrapped me up like a mummy. Not past out or anything, I'm standing up in the picture but is that a wise thing to put up or bad idea?

Don't think in terms of "leagues". Girls will surprise you with what they find attractive, and it's not always looks.

If you're not sure about a profile pic, just use this:
http://www.okcupid.com/mybestface

Darklord

Banned
Don't think in terms of "leagues". Girls will surprise you with what they find attractive, and it's not always looks.

If you're not sure about a profile pic, just use this:
http://www.okcupid.com/mybestface

Oh, I don't. I'll message them if they are super models, I always give it a shot. Though I'm more realistic. I don't expect a reply but if I get one, awesome.

I tried that link. It asked me who I'd date. It was between a woman in her 50's and an obese woman's arse. hahaha!

Sounds like he's probably just frustrated. Not saying you shouldn't feel riled up, but I can't imagine getting a date while having a kid is an easy thing. If he's being a dick, he's being a dick.

He's probably been rejected quite a few times because he has children, I would imagine that to be the source of the frustration. Still, you don't have a go at someone over that sort of stuff, that's just not cool :/. It's a totally valid objection for someone. I wouldn't be interested in a mother tbh.

I can understand the frustration but one of the few questions I've marked as important is the other person not having kids. I don't have many deal breakers but that is definitely one of them. He told me if it was so important it should be on my profile! Ah well. I wouldn't have been interested even if he didn't have kids but that's not the point.

Darklord

Banned
I can understand the frustration but one of the few questions I've marked as important is the other person not having kids. I don't have many deal breakers but that is definitely one of them. He told me if it was so important it should be on my profile! Ah well. I wouldn't have been interested even if he didn't have kids but that's not the point.

Some people are just dicks.

I've had some luck using okcupid. My profile is pretty bare bones. I probably have less than 30 words written out on it. I figure if someone wants to get to know me they can ask questions.

My messages are fine.
That's what they all say.
I dont send "weird" messages but you never now what a girl will find weird so the thought that she would be so willing to post that with his face in the forefront doesn't sit well with me.
Except that the dude's message was blatantly weird(even if I thought it was awesome), so if you really don't send weird/bad messages, then your paranoia is completely unfounded.
And why would I be fortunate of something like that? A criticism would be her responding explaining why he shouldn't be sending messages like that.
I already said why you'd be fortunate, and just because you don't like the criticism doesn't invalidate it.
This was just her being a bitch and making fun of the dude for sending what he thought was a genuinely decent message.
Yeah, she's a bitch for making fun of an absurd message and most likely unintentionally leaving his name/pic in. Wait, shit, no she isn't.

Between the paranoia and the "bitch" remark, you come off as pretty insecure. Ease up, broletariat. It's pointless to fret over inconsequential things like this.

It seems the lesser in common, the higher chance they reply. Why?
Opposites attract? I dunno.

.GqueB.

Banned
That's what they all say. Except that the dude's message was blatantly weird(even if I thought it was awesome), so if you really don't send weird/bad messages, then your paranoia is completely unfounded.I already said why you'd be fortunate, and just because you don't like the criticism doesn't invalidate it.Yeah, she's a bitch for making fun of an absurd message and most likely unintentionally leaving his name/pic in. Wait, shit, no she isn't.

Between the paranoia and the "bitch" remark, you come off as pretty insecure. Ease up, broletariat. It's pointless to fret over inconsequential things like this.

Opposites attract? I dunno.

Yea you're probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom