• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma cop shoots & kills an unarmed man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Video here. **Warning - Graphic** Another day, another murder.

Link.

Body-worn camera footage shows that a man who was killed last month by a Wagoner police officer after a high-speed pursuit was unarmed.

The Tulsa World reports officer Robert Reynolds fatally shot 25-year-old Andrew Henson on June 7 after Henson rammed the officer's car several times during the chase.

Video recorded by two officer-worn body cameras shows Henson turn toward the officer with both arms extended after getting out of his car.

Officers say Henson pointed his hand in the shape of a gun, saying, "You're going to have to kill me," according to CBS affiliate KOTV. They say officer Robert Reynolds thought it was a real gun when he fired, killing Henson.

Volimar

Well, because they can easily claim this was suicide by cop.

Also there are loads of cases where the body cam doesn't "fall off". I mean, it's bullshit when it happens, but there's no reason to exaggerate to fit the narrative when there's plenty of actual fuckery going on.

Their vehicle was "hit" by the suspect's vehicle

The dude clearly had his hands out and pointed at the cop

I could see nothing in the guys hand from the posted video

The cop puts one or two into the guys chest

Tells other cop he may have had a gun

Close up of the guy laying there dead

Cops needs to be retrained nation wide to use none lethal force

Yes everything prolly happened too fast for that cop to process but come on. I've been out the military for 5 years and could easily see he didn't have a weapon from that video.

Also there are loads of cases where the body cam doesn't "fall off". I mean, it's bullshit when it happens, but there's no reason to exaggerate to fit the narrative when there's plenty of actual fuckery going on.

If I eat certain cats, do I get the power to mind read? Get your ass to Florida..I want da POWAHHHHH!

Why the fuck doesn't he help the guy after shooting him? Try to stop the bleeding? Does he not DESERVE to live or something? Wtf.

I see this kind of shit in all these videos when the victim is not dead and the cops just stand around not giving a shit.

Also fuck people who feel the need to empty whole rounds into people. I'm pretty sure after the first shot or two you could safely apprehend the person. Or you know, actually use a non-lethal means of capture. What's the point of carrying all these apprehension gadgets (pepper spray, tasers, etc) if your not going to use them.

Why the fuck doesn't he help the guy after shooting him? Try to stop the bleeding? Does he not DESERVE to live or something? Wtf.

I see this kind of shit in all these videos when the victim is not dead and the cops just stand around not giving a shit.

I was thinking the same thing watching this, as well as the suffocation deaths when the one apprehended pleads for air but goes ignores and pinned down.

Terrible. Looked like the guy was running, then turned around to put his hands up when he realized there was a second cop.

Before the guy was even half way up with his hands the cop shot him twice yelling show me your hands.

Volimar

After a policeman shot my sister three times in the chest, they cuffed her as she was struggling to breathe. The EMTs had to get him to take them off her so they could work on her. It's disgusting. Probably what they're trained to do.

Also fuck people who feel the need to empty whole rounds into people. I'm pretty sure after the first shot or two you could safely apprehend the person. Or you know, actually use a non-lethal means of capture. What's the point of carrying all these apprehension gadgets (pepper spray, tasers, etc) if your not going to use them.

They are probably trained not to do so because it might leave them exposed, even though it shouldn't really with a proper backup.

A lot of training seems to consist of drilling worst case scenario into the officers' heads, just like that video of the guy shooting the cop after saying that he is reaching for the licence that is supposedly played during training, over and over again..

They probably have the video of some guy attacking a cop after he tried to administer aid to him that gets played over and over again.

Shredderi

After a policeman shot my sister three times in the chest, they cuffed her as she was struggling to breathe. The EMTs had to get him to take them off her so they could work on her. It's disgusting. Probably what they're trained to do.

What the fuck?

kirblar

They are probably trained not to do so because it might leave them exposed, even though it shouldn't really with a proper backup.

A lot of training seems to consist of drilling worst case scenario into the officers' heads, just like that video of the guy shooting the cop after saying that he is reaching for the licence that is supposedly played during training, over and over again..

They probably have the video of some guy attacking a cop after he tried to administer aid to him that gets played over and over again.
This is it. They're doing what they're told to do.

Kibbles

Jeez the shots after he pauses and the guy clearly uses both hands with no weapon to pull himself up yet the cop keeps going.

taoofjord

Officers say Henson pointed his hand in the shape of a gun, saying, "You're going to have to kill me," according to CBS affiliate KOTV. They say officer Robert Reynolds thought it was a real gun when he fired, killing Henson.

I don't watch graphic videos so someone will have to let me know how this actually came across but why would anyone provoke or pretend to shoot a cop? He obviously didn't deserve to be shot for doing something stupid, but you can't necessarily blame the cop either who could have thought he was legitimately acting in self defense (again, depending on how it came across).

That's so messed up. I'm sorry.

Volimar

I don't watch graphic videos so someone will have to let me know how this actually came across but why would anyone provoke or pretend to shoot a cop? He obviously didn't deserve to be shot for doing something stupid, but you can't necessarily blame the cop either (again, depending on how it came across).

It looked like his arms were out in front of him but honestly the cop starts shooting so fast it's hard to tell.

So, what I heard him say was "You're going to have to kill me, nigger!" Did anyone hear anything different?

Yeah. And the cop is white, so I dunno.

That's their training too. They don't shoot to wound, they shoot to end the threat. Even if it's all in their head, apparently.

I guess i shouldnt be surprised.

Watching that video you can only come to two conclusions.

1.The police are extremely poorly trained and simply arent capable of handling a situation without shooting

or

2.He likes shooting people.

antonz

I don't watch graphic videos so someone will have to let me know how this actually came across but why would anyone provoke or pretend to shoot a cop? He obviously didn't deserve to be shot for doing something stupid, but you can't necessarily blame the cop either (again, depending on how it came across).

He yells you are going to have to kill me N***** before swinging around with his hands clearly not in a surrendering position.

The unarmed aspect of this all is Monday morning quarterbacking.

ColdPizza

Banned
WTF why would they shoot him? Looks completely unjustified to me

Freeze frame shows the guy positioning his hands on a handgun and pointing it at police. It's dark out, adrenaline is pumping. If you put yourself in this cop's shoes would you take the extra few seconds to make sure at the risk of getting shot or would you trust your first instinct?

Duxxy3

I guess i shouldnt be surprised.

Watching that video you can only come to two conclusions.

1.The police are extremely poorly trained and simply arent capable of handling a situation without shooting

or

2.He likes shooting people.

It's number 1.

A lot of police departments tell officers to empty the clip. The military definitely does a better job of training their people how to handle these situations.

This is just fucking disgusting. How the fuck do assholes like that guy sleep at night!? He should be fucking ashamed of himself! Straight and utter scum, he is.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Freeze frame shows the guy positioning his hands on a handgun and pointing it at police. It's dark out, adrenaline is pumping. If you put yourself in this cop's shoes would you take the extra few seconds to make sure at the risk of getting shot or would you trust your first instinct?

And when the guy is on his knees, hands on the floor and the cop lets off one more shot? Where does that fall under?

Okay, right before the cop shoots, the guy swings his arm down toward his waist. It's hard to tell from the video, so I don't think anyone can say here either way. After he's shot the initial time, though, I don't think there's any reason to keep firing.

ColdPizza

Banned
And when the guy is on his knees, hands on the floor and the cop lets off one more shot? Where does that fall under?

Maybe poor training on that one, not being able to assess quickly enough that the guy was no longer a threat. I don't see any malice there though.

Okay, right before the cop shoots, the guy swings his arm down toward his waist. It's hard to tell from the video, so I don't think anyone can say here either way. After he's shot the initial time, though, I don't think there's any reason to keep firing.

That's my main take away from this. But apparently the police are trained to do that. Really shows you how bad things are here in America.

noquarter

I was looking for one of the videos they showed, can't remember the officers name. It shows the officer putting five shots in the suspect and then calling for help and the suspect shooting the officer a few seconds later. The one shot killed the officer and the suspect survived. So pretty much what you described.

Really need to see training get better. If the suspect is out of the vehicle and doesn't have a weapon you should be able to use at most the baton to bring him down. The reliance on deadly force is really crazy and needs to change.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Terrible. Looked like the guy was running, then turned around to put his hands up when he realized there was a second cop.

Before the guy was even half way up with his hands the cop shot him twice yelling show me your hands.

What video did you watch?

He had just rammed the cop, then shouted "you're going to have to kill me nigger" at the cop with his hands sticking out.

I'm going suicide by cop at that point, he didn't want to get taken in.

He also kept his gun pointed at him because he was clearly in shock about what just happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom