• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma governor calls for "oilfield prayer day"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torokil

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hristians-should-observe-oilfield-prayer-day/

Last month, Fallin (R) dubbed Oct. 13 Oilfield Prayer Day. In a one-page proclamation, she called on all Christians to thank God for the blessings created by the oil and natural gas industry and to seek His wisdom and ask for protection.

Oklahoma is blessed with an abundance of oil and natural gas, allowing the state to be a prosperous producer of these valuable resources, the proclamation states. Oklahoma recognizes the incredible economic, community and faith-based impacts demonstrated across the state by oil and natural gas companies.

Republican party has gone full Mad Max

studyguy

WITNESS ME OILFIELD JESUS!
4622803491-bp-crude-oil-spill-oiled-bird-costume.jpg

And yet our economy is fucked, we're cutting budgets across the board , and we're now the earthquake capital of the world. Thanks oil and natural gas!

Don't mind all those earthquakes. It's totally fine. It's not like we have the most earthquakes out of any of states per year now. Just keeping digging deeper guys. Also, let's pray about it because it's just the best.

Oklahoma earthquakes per year:
2013: 106
2014: 585
2015: 857

We're settin' records over here! Hurray oil!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Daniel Plainview would be winning right now if he was running for the Republicans.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Isn't OK's oil industry cratering?

Yes. OPEC's aggressive pricing is wrecking our local oil and gas industry. But it is the bedrock of our economy. It's pulling the whole state down with it.

Also, Fallin is a terrible, terrible governor.

Piecake

And yet our economy is fucked, we're cutting budgets across the board , and we're now the earthquake capital of the world. Thanks oil and natural gas!

Praise be! Praise be!

As the oil and gas industry has foundered, the state legislature has cut funding from schools, forcing some to reduce school-weeks to four days, as Reuters reported earlier this year. At the same time, Reuters reported, lawmakers preserved a crucial tax break for oil and gas production, worth about $470 million in 2015.

SeanC

It was, but starting to recover because barrel prices are hovering around the area where they can make a profit.

Damage is already done, though. The state significantly cut education to make up for loss of revenue because they backed oil and, apparently, only oil. It now ranks as one of the worst educational systems in the country (though, to be fair, I don't think it fell off that much in the first place...but hey...if it's already shit, can't get any worse by cutting more funding amirite?)

But hey. Prayers, right? That'll fix it. Fallin is horrible.

Gragen

I spent the first 21 years of my damn life in that miserable state and back then I probably had the same views as Fallen. Then I moved to California and 16 years later I can barely stomach the thought that I'm an Okie from Muskogee.

I spent the first 21 years of my damn life in that miserable state and back then I probably had the same views as Fallen. Then I moved to California and 16 years later I can barely stomach the thought that I'm an Okie from Muskogee.

Lived in Texas most of my life, passed through OK for a few years as I entered adulthood, also ended up in California.

I can confirm that no one in viciously conservative areas has any idea how stuck up their own asses they are until they leave.

SeanC

Same.

Only 10 years.

And not from Muskogee.

Haven't been back since. I know I should see family and whatnot but man...it's Oklahoma...

The second commandment is pretty clear....

This is like something out of a parody movie about Americans. They are literally worshiping the oil industry. I need off this ride now please.

pr0cs

Silly really, we don't need the jobs and social programs that oil provides, we can just buy it from the middle east since it's so convenient.
Should take no time whatsoever to backfill the hole left by the dirty oil industry!

SeanC

I'm still living in Oklahoma.

My wife just got a job offer to move us to Cincinnati.

Should we take it?

If you plan to have kids or have kids, I'd get out. Unless you can afford a private school in Oklahoma, I wouldn't trust the public system.

Plus depends where and how much of an entrenched, conservative leadership you're willing to put up with. Remember, this is a state that greeted the current POTUS with a parade of confederate flags (note: Oklahoma was not in the confederacy).

Wait, it's okay for a governor to officially recognize a specific religion and cite that religion as part of the "success" of the state?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or cynical here. I'm kinda blown away that this is apparently fine.

PKrockin

How about a prayer for the safety of all my fellow workers in the oilfield, who work long, dangerous hours so huge multinational companies can enjoy massive profits and the state can enjoy massive tax revenue? No? Just giving thanks for being fortunate enough to have liquid cash under your feet? Ok

Really, we should have a trucker appreciation day because I feel that job is totally thankless, terrible, and dangerous, yet it forms the backbone of our economy. People seem to love mocking truckers but I feel bad for them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, it's okay for a governor to officially recognize a specific religion and cite that religion as part of the "success" of the state?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or cynical here. I'm kinda blown away that this is apparently fine.

No, it's not okay and I guarantee someone will try and sue.

As long as it's not some icky religion like satanism or voodoo or some other nonsense, It's fine!

People actually think like this. Fundamentalism is....something else.

Oklahoma is so fucked. My girlfriend graduated from OU last year in the fall a double business major and working for Ryder at Devon. When gas prices fell practically everyone suffered and she has been looking for somewhere else in state but the job market is so trash there's hardly anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom