• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma governor calls for "oilfield prayer day"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohwiseone

holy shit, how do yall in OK put up with that shit?

Lots of alcohol.

And an inevitable amount of hope that eventually the crazy people who vote one party will either die off, so we can stop electing people like our Governor.

Whoever is elected after her is going to have a complete shitshow to clean up.

Not including the absolutely inane bills the state houses passes, that always inevitably marked with "unconstitutional" (Like our awesome abortion bill, that essentially had doctors lose their medical license and make it a felony if they preformed one)

Garlador

Lots of alcohol.

And an inevitable amount of hope that eventually the crazy people who vote one party will either die off, so we can stop electing people like our Governor.

Whoever is elected after her is going to have a complete shitshow to clean up.

Not including the absolutely inane bills the state houses passes, that always inevitably marked with "unconstitutional" (Like our awesome abortion bill, that essentially had doctors lose their medical license and make it a felony if they preformed one)

Don't forget this gem.
Oklahoma Court says it's not rape if victim is unconscious.
In a unanimous decision, the court said, "Forcible sodomy cannot occur where a victim is so intoxicated as to be completely unconscious at the time of the sexual act of oral copulation." The court said its ruling is based on current state law which is silent on the issue of incapacitation due to alcohol intoxication.

I just... ugh...

You know, I briefly entertained the idea of moving to OK, but between the tornadoes, the political leanings, and this thread...I think it's safe to cross it off the list.

Man, I lived in Oklahoma for almost 25 years or maybe longer. I just recently left like two weeks ago and came to stay with my friend in Colorado. This place is like heaven honestly, especially compared to Oklahoma/Texas. Places were as hot as hell I think; I could be exaggerating a bit, but my point stands!

Ohwiseone

If I could afford it, I would most definitely move out of the state.

I mean, we had a massive budget shortfall, instead of working together to try to find different sources of revenue... they just started cutting shit, including education.

Like, why is that even an option, why is education something that can just be cut?

"Yeah, Education, lets cut that"
"But what about the Taxes of Oil"
"No, we need those business, we can do anything with those"

its maddening.

I honestly think that Kansas is ran better than Oklahoma.

SeanC

I'm told at least they have an IKEA.

Seriously, Oklahoma... it's weird. Businesses are drying up so fast. We're getting more and more hotels while local businesses are just evaporating left and right.

That I dont' get. My mom is always updating on my hometown happenings and they're building a ton of new hotels and I'm like...why? What the hell is there? There's nothing to do yet three new hotels in a town of maybe 50k and no attractions (unless a dead shopping mall is your thing) have been built in the past couple of years.

Damage is already done, though. The state significantly cut education to make up for loss of revenue because they backed oil and, apparently, only oil. It now ranks as one of the worst educational systems in the country (though, to be fair, I don't think it fell off that much in the first place...but hey...if it's already shit, can't get any worse by cutting more funding amirite?)

But hey. Prayers, right? That'll fix it. Fallin is horrible.

It's just the same dynamic that's always existed here. When oil booms, the state does really well, but the legislature never plans ahead for the inevitable bust. Then the bust happens and everyone seems shocked. Education and infrastructure get gutted to try and make up the difference and we repeat the cycle.

The education issue has become so bad in the state that teachers are starting to run for seats in the state house. I hope some of them are able to get in.

I honestly think that Kansas is ran better than Oklahoma.

Having lived and worked in both states recently, I can assure you it is not. Brownback makes Fallin look like Mary Poppins.

Garlador

That I dont' get. My mom is always updating on my hometown happenings and they're building a ton of new hotels and I'm like...why? What the hell is there? There's nothing to do yet three new hotels in a town of maybe 50k and no attractions (unless a dead shopping mall is your thing) have been built in the past couple of years.

You don't live in Enid, per chance?

... Stupid dead shopping mall...

All the hotels, I'm told, are for the truckers that drive through down and stop for the night and then move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom