• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old gamers, have you ever lost a CD or cartridge ?

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Tell us your dramatic experience 😘 (did a friend forget to give you back your Streets of Rage ? Did someone stole your Game Boy in your bag at school? Did you mom crushed your CDs by entering your room ?)

I never lost a game.
As a kid, each time i bought a game i removed the plastic bag (from the video game store) and put the game in an ugly one (lame super market), i tried to look relaxed and kept 2 meters security distance from anyone, especially groups of teenagers. (some friends with their shiny plastic bag from famous VG stores were bullied and stolen in the subway).

As a teenager, i asked comics fans or otakus friends to come with me when buying games. We were in Fist of the north star mode. 

EDIT: There a lot of victims in this thread. But what about bad boys gamers... 😁
Who ever stole or ever "forget" to give back games...

Here's your second chance ! Tell us what you did really dirty in your life and maybe the gods of gaming will forgive you 😆

Last month, i insulted an old lady who almost hit my motorcycle with her big ugly Toyota. I don't know if that count though 😜 (unfortunately i didn't screw anyone with video games ☝🏼)

Edit 2: Oh i remember. I never stole stuff but i did dirty on a scam video game shop:

PS2 debuts in Japan, i received for free a PS2 dvd rom educative crap.
Back in europe (ps2 wasn't released in europe yet, jp ps2 games were extremely expensive, ps2 was the future "77 millions polygons blabla" but the shop didn't know what was my CD, they thought it was a real game. They proposed me 50 bucks for that crap. I pretended to be disapointed, accepted the offer. They were about to test the fake game on the ps2, i was already outside with my money. I had my revenge on them 😎

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Don't remember losing any. I did have however many Disks suffering from reading issues, despite the fact i always properly kept them in their cases.

Remember playing through Megaman X-4 (don't remember if it was 4 exactly) and the game just up and freezing after defeating a specific boss. I got pissed because the Saturn i had had some battery issues (seems this was common for the console) and couldn't save games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I lost quite a bit of them
I had a sonic Generations DVD on xbox 360 that got scratched up, which sucked for a while but eventually I got the game digitally on Xbox and Steam. I also had a couple of Wii U discs I've lost, and I lost a few 3ds cartridges along the way. I've lost a LOT of physical games

Kupfer

My only dramatic experience was snapping the Blu-ray disc of Killzone 3 in half because the multiplayer got on my tits one session.
Wow, so you had to stand up, go to the console, press the eject button, wait for the disc to come out, take it and then, even after like 5 - 10 seconds, you still decided to snap it? Must have been a hell of a match.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

ShadowNate

I once had a CD drive that spit a disc out in pieces, but I don't remember the game. It was probably a game from a magazine cover CD, because I don't recall crying much over it.

T-Cake

Wow, so you had to stand up, go to the console, press the eject button, wait for the disc to come out, take it and then, even after like 5 - 10 seconds, you still decided to snap it? Must have been a hell of a match.

Hmm, multiplayer drove me absolutely mad in those days.

I still then went and bought a second copy. Which survived until the PS4 came along and it got sold along with the rest of the PS3 stuff.

Mr Hyde

No, never. I'm very careful with my games. And if someone loans one of my games and don't return it, they will be in a world of pain.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Hmm, multiplayer drove me absolutely mad in those days.
I know, I was there, too... Took the whole thing too serious to a point gaming was no fun no more. I mean we were a good team in CS:GO, but when it became more of a duty than a fun match, I had to stop playing.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Left my white PSP in a taxi with several umds.
A "friend" ruined my Sparkster box on the Snes.
Vowed never to lend games out to anyone ever again.
Ended up with two copies of Gunstar heroes on the Gba. Absolutely no recollection of how it happened. I definitely only bought one.

begotten

I remember renting Batman Beyond from Blockbuster when it came out. Somehow misplaced the cartridge and had to pay a fee. Had a friend confess about 6 months later that he had returned it to the store after he "borrowed it" from me without asking.

Orta

Banned
In my 35 or so years of gaming I've never lost a game, box or manual. It's not that hard ffs.

I have always been quite careful with the original cartridges and cds. Not the same with the controllers though

Ps5 Pad GIF by tvgry

Fat Frog

Don't remember losing any. I did have however many Disks suffering from reading issues, despite the fact i always properly kept them in their cases.

Remember playing through Megaman X-4 (don't remember if it was 4 exactly) and the game just up and freezing after defeating a specific boss. I got pissed because the Saturn i had had some battery issues (seems this was common for the console) and couldn't save games.
I bought a second hand Street Fighter zero 3 for the dreamcast in the early 2000's because the Saturn version was too expensive.
Perfect condition, not a scratch.
Back in europe, it didn't work and the artbox was fugly 🤡
Sad day 😅

Is there a port of the PSP Max version ? It sounds awesome with Eagle, Jun, Feilong and many more...

Fat Frog

Left my white PSP in a taxi with several umds.
A "friend" ruined my Sparkster box on the Snes.
Vowed never to lend games out to anyone ever again.
Ended up with two copies of Gunstar heroes on the Gba. Absolutely no recollection of how it happened. I definitely only bought one.
Never lend Snes games with their original box, mad man... 😆

Krathoon

I think I put my copy of Drill Dozer in storage. Not certain why I did that. It is expensive as hell.

Still, you can emulate the vibrate now. So, not a real loss. Just can't play it on the pocket.

Someone stole my copy of Ghouls n Ghosts SNES , teacher confiscated it when I took it out of my bag to lend it to a fellow classmate, she put it in the draw in her desk. When she went to give it back at the end of the lesson it was gone and she couldn’t of been less bothered about it.

I never did find out who it was, the teachers simply said I shouldn’t of brought it into school in the first place. Nothing was ever done about it.

It was difficult to pin point who the thief was as about 80% of the classes turned on me thanks to lie a fellow family member in my grade did. I was basically on my own or it felt like it for a couple of years till I left for college. The years setting you up for adulthood I was thinking of ending it all.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, my Pokemon Blue, Silver and Pinball cartridges all were lost/stolen. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Fat Frog

Someone stole my copy of Ghouls n Ghosts SNES , teacher confiscated it when I took it out of my bag to lend it to a fellow classmate, she put it in the draw in her desk. When she went to give it back at the end of the lesson it was gone and she couldn’t of been less bothered about it.

I never did find out who it was, the teachers simply said I shouldn’t of brought it into school in the first place. Nothing was ever done about it.

It was difficult to pin point who the thief was as about 80% of the classes turned on me thanks to lie a fellow family member in my grade did. I was basically on my own or it felt like it for a couple of years till I left for college. The years setting you up for adulthood I was thinking of ending it all.
Dat son of a bitch. 🤣On top of that, Snes games were crazy expensive... 🙃

Pallas

I’m certain I lost a very valuable game as a kid. I used to own Suikoden 2, actually got it at a pawnshop for $15 back in the 90’s. I have no idea what happened to it, pretty sure it was lost or got destroyed somehow.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I lost my copy of Zelda Twilight Princess a couple days after getting it. No idea to this day where it went and I've never played more than the beginning to this day. Same thing for Tales of Legendia except that one I never even put in the system.

I also lost my Yakuza 2 for like 4 years but eventually found it.

Had some games stolen in burglaries as well but I don't know if that counts.

AJUMP23

I can't find some of my NES games, like Mike Tysons Punch Out and a few others that I think I loaned out and never got back.

Vandole

I had nearly my entire collection of Wii games destroyed by my son when he was a toddler. He learned that if you stand on the discs you can slide around on carpeting with them.

Yeah, that was a bad day....

Oh yeah, and as a kid my copy of Rollerblades on the NES was borrowed by a friend and then never returned. He claimed he returned it, but he didn't. Really I should be a lot more bitter about that than I am. In fact I think I'm going to start being more bitter right now. Grudges should last more than 30 years.

Krathoon

I always put my loose Switch, 3DS, and DS games in these mini cases so I don't lose them.
I will use a zip lock bag for loose carts too.

I am the most paranoid about losing those.

It's been 20 years and i still don't forgive my "friend" for not returning my copy of GTA III and Metal Gear Solid 2. Not so much MGS2 but GTAIII hurt.

My PS1 copy of Digimon World was also "borrowed" and never returned.

Most traumatic experience by far was my Pokemon games being stolen:

Red - English
Red - Japanese
Blue - English
Blue - Japanese
Green - Japanese
Yellow - English
Yellow - Japanese
Gold - English
Gold - Japanese
Silver - English
Silver - Japanese
Crystal - English

I have a good idea of who stole then but I couldn't prove it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I have some DVDs where only disc 1 is missing, which is the worst.

No, never. I'm very careful with my games. And if someone loans one of my games and don't return it, they will be in a world of pain.

Mr Hyde after he loaned a game to Larry and never got it back:

begotten

Love this story - reminds me of something similar that happened. 90s, Australian primary school. Classes used the same room all year and you would have the same desk and tray that you sat at. The row I sat in, all 4 boys had Gameboys' in their trays that we would actually keep at school. Eventually our little school gaming ring got discovered, everything confiscated and unable to be collected until the end of the year by each of our parents.

DaGwaphics

Never scratched a disk, but my original copy of SF2 on Genesis did quit working. Was never sure exactly what happened to it, may have just needed the contacts cleaned. LOL

begotten

The opposite of this thread - my old man used to work at a hotel chain in the 90s / early 2000s. Lost and found boxes were dated and if things weren't collected within 7 days they would just throw it out (except for things that were actually identifiable like ID, wallets, personal cards, keys etc). I used to inherit a lot of "free" games and gaming related shit this way. Lots of loose Nintendo cartridges, particularly handheld. I remember buying Pokemon Gold from Kmart on release, then getting another copy of it like 2 weeks later.

jigglet

Banned
The TooT bonus disc I got with WW. I was high at the time and suspect I accidentally mailed it to someone when I sold a different game.

begotten

This thread reminds me of the good old days of console / game swapping with my friends & neighbors. Everyone used to love & have the patience for everything - it was such an embedded thing in gaming back then that we'd even be the ones deciding what games the other person should get for the system we don't own. Now everyone (who mostly didn't live during these times) are autistic online console warring drones.

Sleepwalker

At 8 years old I left my brand new gameboy color with pokemon silver in the porch and went inside to grab some water, ofc it was gone in a second. Still think about it from time to time lmao

At that same house couple years later burglars broke in while we were on vacation and took my N64 with all my games.

I lent a few gamecube games to some kids that outright never returned them. I also recently found my gamecube fire emblem case, full with manual and all but its got a Sonic racing disc instead of FE, scratching my head about that.

Oh and a cousin took my 360 as a loan then killed it. My mom gave away my old systems as well lol

flying_sq

For sure, when I'm swapping games and putting them in different cases. I've also snapped a cd in rage at game back in the day.

Top Bottom