• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED v Mini-LED

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I’m planning to buy a new TV during the summer, should I get an OLED one or a Mini LED one? It will be used mostly for movie and tv watching.

I’m thinking of getting the new Bravia 8.

clarky

Gold Member
OLED and burn-in are real. I've seen it on TVs and smart phones for years.

Get Mini LED.

I have not witnessed it once, and we have at present in the house 2 oled laptops, 3 oled tvs and a mini led laptop.

Oled wins for me. Mini led is good, but not as good imo.

In their current incarnations, OLED is superior to Mini LED in the majority of ways.

With that said, Sony's upcoming Bravia 9 Mini LED line looks very promising and may very well prove to be superior to OLED. Time will tell!

Bojji

I have not witnessed it once, and we have at present in the house 2 oled laptops, 3 oled tvs and a mini led laptop.

I have seen burn-ins on smartphones. But I think modern OLED tvs (at least from LG) are really, really hard to fuck up unless you are watching CNN 24/7 or play only one game (HUD).

My Xperia XZ3 (bought used for cheap) have burn in, it was otherwise in mint condition but my guess is that it was turn on with the same start up screen (when you set up the phone) for a very long time in pawn shop. I bought it knowing this but sometimes it's annoying.

Smartphones have much less protection against burn-in compared to tvs.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I have seen burn-ins on smartphones. But I think modern OLED tvs (at least from LG) are really, really hard to fuck up unless you are watching CNN 24/7 or play only one game (HUD).

My Xperia XZ3 (bought used for cheap) have burn in, it was otherwise in mint condition but my guess is that it was turn on with the same start up screen (when you set up the phone) for a very long time in pawn shop. I bought it knowing this but sometimes it's annoying.

Smartphones have much less protection against burn-in compared to tvs.
Yeah pretty much my experience. My Laptops have had no issues either.

Diddy X

Burn in is a pretty much fixed issue in latest lg tv models and it's improving further in the next years with them using better materials.

wvnative

Mine didn't show signs of burn in for about 4 years, then it quickly started burning in.

It is real. Mine was older, some people say newer models are much better, but there is seemingly debate about it.

I decided to go with just a regular LED, x95j, and yeah, it doesn't have the contrast OLED had and i miss it, but it still looks pretty damn great, and the glowing effect only distracts in rare super dark segments in games, and i don't gotta worry about it.

hoping my current tv lasts until either micro-LED or QDEL are accessible..

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Mine didn't show signs of burn in for about 4 years, then it quickly started burning in.

It is real. Mine was older, some people say newer models are much better, but there is seemingly debate about it.

I decided to go with just a regular LED, x95j, and yeah, it doesn't have the contrast OLED had and i miss it, but it still looks pretty damn great, and the glowing effect only distracts in rare super dark segments in games, and i don't gotta worry about it.

hoping my current tv lasts until either micro-LED or QDEL are accessible..
Here is a long term test of various OLED Tvs (still on going).

Personal conclusion, if your not using the TV as an exclusive CNN broadcast station you'll be fine.

My TV (in their test) after 14 months of CNN abuse has the CNN banner burned in, rest of the picture is absolutely fine, but this is just not how I use my TV - regardless of display tech.
I watch movies, play games and never have a banner displayed 100% of the time.

Top Bottom