• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 - Welcome To Olliwood!

Anybody have some questions for Roll7? I'll be doing an interview.

The press release doesn't mention a PC release so it might be a timed-exclusive again.
Can you customize your skater? Like changing colors and stuff like that.

impact

Banned
Original was cool, but they never patched it while I was still playing so no chance I'm buying this. It will be free on PS+ eventually.

DirtyLarry

Even though I eventually hit a point I just did not have the patience to get past a certain point, I loved the first game. Absolutely loved it.

Certinty

Loved the first game and will get this when it's released providing it doesn't have as many issues as the first did/does. I lost count the amount of times the first game crashed or went unresponsive.

FloatOn

That reminds me, I need to buy the first on steam.

Hopefully this one comes to steam as well. I love that it has 4 player split screen.

18-Volt

Amazing! This is what I'm waiting for.

I really hope Roll7 take on isometric style too. GBA Tony Hawk games were like that and super fun.

ThisOne

I tired out of the first one pretty quickly, but it is a fun little diversion. Hopefully they flesh this one out a little bit more.

hurzelein

Well, it is for some people. Every TV has an inherent amount of lag to it, and that can become apparent through the music and sound effects, the graphics on-screen, or what have you while playing a game. OlliOlli requires very precise inputs from the player, yet it doesn't have any possible setting to account for lag, so if one person's TV has a bigger delay than another, the game is fundamentally broken.

Have you ever played a rhythm game on a TV and felt that the music was out of sync with the buttons? With OlliOlli, it's a similar feeling. On the Vita, I know exactly when to hit the cross button or slam the stick down or whatever; on the PS4, my TV's lag stops me from playing it properly because I have to hit those inputs at different times than Vita. It's unplayable.

I'm glad it is for you! Both TVs I've tried it on have yielded varying results, but nothing I'd call "fine" compared to the Vita version. Having to re-learn when to input the game's commands shouldn't happen when there could just be a setting for lag in the menu.

I'm not sure that is a problem Roll 7 can do anything against. If you have a tv with inout lag it would be the same for Supermeatboy etc. wouldn't it? I have never seen a game that has settings for lag etc? Could be that the Vita focus didn't let them consider the lag on console and it would have more forgiving on console alone. Still hope they will stick to the vita standarts again in the second game. That's why I inform myself before I buy a tv, right now for example I'm planning on buying a bigger tv and am looking at a new Sony because they have very low input lag.

Will buy Day1. Hope they have a Plus/First week discount, I always love that.

I tired out of the first one pretty quickly, but it is a fun little diversion. Hopefully they flesh this one out a little bit more.

It's more than just a diversion, there's surprising depth to it, and practice makes perfect. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Well, it is for some people. Every TV has an inherent amount of lag to it, and that can become apparent through the music and sound effects, the graphics on-screen, or what have you while playing a game. OlliOlli requires very precise inputs from the player, yet it doesn't have any possible setting to account for lag, so if one person's TV has a bigger delay than another, the game is fundamentally broken.

Have you ever played a rhythm game on a TV and felt that the music was out of sync with the buttons? With OlliOlli, it's a similar feeling. On the Vita, I know exactly when to hit the cross button or slam the stick down or whatever; on the PS4, my TV's lag stops me from playing it properly because I have to hit those inputs at different times than Vita. It's unplayable.

I'm glad it is for you! Both TVs I've tried it on have yielded varying results, but nothing I'd call "fine" compared to the Vita version. Having to re-learn when to input the game's commands shouldn't happen when there could just be a setting for lag in the menu.

Do other games do anything about it?

ascii42

I'm not sure that is a problem Roll 7 can do anything against. If you have a tv with inout lag it would be the same for Supermeatboy etc. wouldn't it? I have never seen a game that has settings for lag etc? Could be that the Vita focus didn't let them consider the lag on console and it would have more forgiving on console alone. Still hope they will stick to the vita standarts again in the second game. That's why I inform myself before I buy a tv, right now for example I'm planning on buying a bigger tv and am looking at a new Sony because they have very low input lag.

Will buy Day1. Hope they have a Plus/First week discount, I always love that.

Lag calibration is common in rhythm games. The various Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have them

soultron

Banned
Loved the first one, really excited for this. Soundtrack already sounds good, if the trailer music is anything to go from.

wouwie

The first game was awesome in many ways (especially soundtrack and controls). However, i felt that the gameplay was too much focused on reaching scores (thus doing combos all of the time) instead of doing particular challenges. I really enjoyed the challenges where you had to collect certain items or finish a level doing something specific. So i definately hope there will be more of that. The score based challenges grew old and i gave up on the game in the end. Different obstacles should also help to make the game more varied.

Contra11

Banned
I didnt like olliolli 1 gameplay mechanics and controlling scheme .. its too complicated and frustrating more then being fun

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Friend leaderboards?

Shizuka

Not that excited with an OlliOlli sequel, I feel it'll be more of the same. Maybe the other indie game they're working on will make be more excited.

Roll7tom

Neo Member
Hey there all!

Tom from Roll7 here...

Just a quick note on the lag issue, this is only with TVs that have a slow refresh rate, this tends to be older TVs - and can be fixed by putting the TV in Game mode (if it has one).

OlliOlli2 Development is firing on all cylinders - here is a little mock up idea from our designer for Olliwood - its been given a retro filter and some other sass - what do people think?

Thanks for all the NeoGAF support, SO much of what you guys have said has been fed into OlliOlli2, we hope you are going to love it!

Tom

Hey there all!

Tom from Roll7 here...

Just a quick note on the lag issue, this is only with TVs that have a slow refresh rate, this tends to be older TVs - and can be fixed by putting the TV in Game mode (if it has one).

OlliOlli2 Development is firing on all cylinders - here is a little mock up idea from our designer for Olliwood - its been given a retro filter and some other sass - what do people think?

Thanks for all the NeoGAF support, SO much of what you guys have said has been fed into OlliOlli2, we hope you are going to love it!

Tom

The mock up idea looks fantastic!

Heh I went to Roll7 HQ a few months ago to do QA on OlliOlli for PS4, I remember seeing an icon for OlliOlli2 on the PS4 as well, when I asked the guy about it he said it was just a test thing. To think I was so close to seeing the sequel so early.

Cardon

Love the look of that mock up image. Really excited for OlliOlli 2 since I play the first game nearly everyday on my PS4 & Vita.

Top Bottom