• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli Review Thread

datamage

The big reason why people keep playing Resogun and so many other games of this ilk is because of friend based leaderboards. Without them, there's no point in me recommending this to my friends. I like your game and I gave you $10+ for it, but if you want me to recommend it to my friends, you need to do more than tell me "we ran out of money!" followed by "we have started our next project."

I agree with this sentiment. The inability to compare my scores to friends is a major bummer. Had I known about this beforehand (shame on me), I would have skipped on the purchase. Fun game, but it needs better leaderboards.

Looking at screens and hearing about the touch UI made me think this looked and sounded like complete ass, but after watching the youtube video mentioned about how to play, I think it looks great in motion, looks like it plays quite well, and I really like the idea of the controls. Probably gonna give it a shot.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
OK, you guys are pretty persuasive! I'm going to talk to the team and see what we can do :)

Awesome, we know its not a promise but its great to know it is being put as one of the things to immediately look into. :) Hoping for the best here.

As others said, it might look like a small thing, but its a feature that carries recommendations and word of mouth for these type of games.

If the game sells decently, it would probably worth examining as the friends leaderboards were a huge part of me continuing to play MotorStorm RC (That game is a VERY good inspirational source for leaderboard integration) and recommending it to others.

Yep, this is why I kept playing MotorStorm as long as I did too. It's nice having that sense that I'm competing against other players.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying the game. :)

jlevel13

The inability to compare my scores to friends is a major bummer. Had I known about this beforehand (shame on me), I would have skipped on the purchase. Fun game, but it needs better leaderboards.

I don't disagree with this sentiment (nobody would argue that nice leaderboards are a great feature), but feel like it's a bit of an overreaction at the same time. Maybe you can't easily compare friend scores, but it's not impossible - give them a call or send an email... make it a little more personal....

OK, this game's pretty freaking addictive - it took some time to get used to the controls and I'm still having difficulty pulling off the more complicated tricks, but when it all comes together it's a real blast. The mechanic of getting a speed boost when hitting a rail or landing perfectly is a big part of this - knowing you can greatly improve your score just by slightly perfecting your timing is a great incentive to keep replaying until you've got it right, plus, I like the satisfying sound when you get a 'perfect', heh. The level goals are pretty good as well and seem well thought out, ranging from the expected high score and combo challenges, to more inventive ones like not using grinds for the first 300 metres, landing big gaps or grinding specific objects in the levels. The graphics seem pretty sparse at first, but become more adventurous as you progress through the stages, plus, you start to notice the level of detail that's gone into the trick animation, shown off nicely in the trick book. Also, the soundtrack's pretty great (pleasantly surprised to hear a Long Arm song on here), but could do with a few more tracks. The lack of leaderboards at present is a shame, as undoubtedly high score competing between friends is where much of the longevity of games like this lie, but for the time being I can easily see myself spending hours playing this game, just to better my own scores and complete those pesky pro level challenges! Definitely worth the asking price, in my estimation. Recommended.

lowfatevan

Neo Member
its pretty much an essential feature in a score/time attack game and a very odd omission in this case.

you should try to hard convince them.

My sentiments exactly. When I bought the game I just assumed this feature would be part of a package like this, feels like an omission when comparing friends on leaderboards has been the norm for years now. The game has a great feel, and I'll be playing it regardless, but whether i recommend it to friends will lean pretty heavily on whether or not this makes it in the game.

gunstarhero

UG! I crushed the daily run score today -- only to find out I was still in Practice Run mode.

I don't pay attention AT ALL.

nampad

The EU price is good, thanks for not doing a 1:1 exchange rate like some other indies.
That alone makes my purchase more viable :)

VanWinkle

Okay, so I'm getting frustrated. I'm having trouble doing tricks after grinds (and between two grinds). I am just not getting it! Only about 15% of the time am I actually doing tricks after them.

Help me.

nampad

Loading doesn't translate to 'Verlandung' in German. How did that get through QA? Considering how much horror stories we hear about the platform holders QA process that's quite funny.

Doombear

man... this is a nice game and I'm enjoying it, but it makes me really want even more now Skate. to be on the system. I know it's doable, but most likely it wont be done :(

I KNOW! I find myself sighing a little bit every now and then as I play this wonderful game that there is no Skate out there on Vita. I pity my poor analog sticks if it ever becomes a reality.

OlliOlli continues to really fascinate me. It is my go to to/from work game. Last night I missed my stop by 6 blocks. Good job OlliOlli!

Anyway, zero freezes so far (wifi at home but none on my ride home FYI), and at this point I have cleared the first area entirely (not spots) and the regular set in the second area. Best part...? I AM STUCK! Yay! Ok well not stuck, but I have hit my first OMG I HAVE TO PULL THIS OFF BEFORE I LET MYSELF ADVANCE! section. No Kickflips, and 10 Spins and Finish challenges are killing me on the first Pro set in the second area.

Love it. Love it. You have made a great game here, congratulations to Tom and the Roll7 team!

This one completely flew below my radar... and I follow Shahid on Twitter. I ought to be ashamed. But not to worry, I will be buying the game. Looks like we got another winner. Now who said the Vita doesn't have games?

Ryu

I don't disagree with this sentiment (nobody would argue that nice leaderboards are a great feature), but feel like it's a bit of an overreaction at the same time. Maybe you can't easily compare friend scores, but it's not impossible - give them a call or send an email... make it a little more personal....

And if you're comparing with 10 friends? Should I call each of them or email each of them to see who is on top at that moment? What about 25 or 50? If you listen to podcasts and listen to people talking about certain games, you will find that many of them talk about specific games far longer than others and it's typically because of leaderboards. Geometry Wars and plenty of others stuck around and were talked about because of them. It's a small feature, but it pays dividends if it's something that keeps people talking about it - something that's far too important for a fresh new developer to pass up.

Bought it and I really like it. Unfortunately the touch only UI is really taking the speed out of the game for me. I instinctively mash the x button in these games when I crash face down into the floor (and I tend do that a lot).
The game crashed a few times during the tutorial, nothing since the regular levels though.

Dachande

OK, you guys are pretty persuasive! I'm going to talk to the team and see what we can do :)

Awesome, I really hope you guys can work this in. Motorstorm RC had me playing multiple times as long as I would've because of its stunning leaderboard system, and your game is such a natural fit for them. It's very cool as-is, but friend leaderboards would tie everything together so well.

I did have a couple of crashes in the tutorial just now, unfortunately, and I'm only about 6 feet away from my router, but so far so good afterwards. I'm not sure it's related to popups though, unless I'm getting friends coming online and the crash is preventing the popup from displaying when the application errors out...

Any chance you could make the menus navigable via buttons, too? I'm not so aghast at the touch-only interface as a lot of others seem to be, but I can't deny that it does slow down getting to gameplay by quite a bit.

Been playing this the past 2 hours, and it's so addictive. Once I got the swing of things I began to rack up some primo scores. Would love to see leaderboards to compare with people. Currently 10th on the Urban Pro 2 level with 150,000. It's awesome figuring out how many tricks/spins can be squeezed into each jump to build up the multiplier

Roll7tom

Neo Member
Hey, been trying to log in to neogaf for about half an hour?!

Anyways thanks again for all the comments and feedback, really do appreciate your honesty the good and the bad :) Wish I could reply to all individually but between here, twitter, Sony Blogs and my email I'm struggling to keep up, its been a crazy two days.

Some updates for you:

Crash bug, think we've isolated it and are testing currently. I'm not sure how long the Sony patch process is but if we have it fixed then it will go in end of this week.

Some people have told us that if you turn wifi off then it's completely stable, might be worth checking if you are getting it?

Leaderboards - couple of options we're looking into, once we get the patch in we'll let you know the plan!

Cheers

Tom

MrCow

Anyways thanks again for all the comments and feedback, really do appreciate your honesty the good and the bad :) Wish I could reply to all individually but between here, twitter, Sony Blogs and my email I'm struggling to keep up, its been a crazy two days.

Some updates for you:

Crash bug, think we've isolated it and are testing currently. I'm not sure how long the Sony patch process is but if we have it fixed then it will go in end of this week.

Some people have told us that if you turn wifi off then it's completely stable, might be worth checking if you are getting it?

Leaderboards - couple of options we're looking into, once we get the patch in we'll let you know the plan!

Cheers

Tom

don't forget to change the german translation of loading - verlanden is just plain wrong: laden oder läd would be correct

chogidogs

Some updates for you:

Cheers

Tom

Good job with the game!

nampad

don't forget to change the german translation of loading - verlanden is just plain wrong: laden oder läd would be correct

Laden or Lädt :p
No typos when you trying to help them.

While we are at it, button navigateable menus are also a must an maybe a face or dpad button for fast level restart instead of the touch screen.
The UI highlighting which tab is activated (e.g. career or spots) could use some work. I actually always think it is the other way around.
Also please show all challenges after a level is finished so players can see right away which they have already completed or not. At a start of a level the challenges also need a better description of what they entail so players don't need to look it up first.

And maybe an option to show one move of the tricktionary on screen which can be switched per backtouch or dpad so it is easier to learn all moves :)
Would be awesome for the trick challenges of each level and would also work great with a training ground level.

While I am very nitpicky about the UI, I like the actual gameplay even though I suck. Can't get my head around using the controls properly as they re different from what I used to but I guess it will come with time.

Knuf

Good little game, I've just started playing it and it's really fun and addictive.
My only two complaints so far:
1) give us leaderboards NOW! :)
2) had to switch language to English, because translation is a fucking mess: I really hope Roll7 didn't pay anyone to do the job, Google Translate would have it done so much better. How this went through Sony's QA is beyond me.

I know the game doesn't have friend leaderboards, but how are the leaderboards for the daily challenges?

I really like the way Rayman Legends does it, where it shows you the whole distribution of players and your place in it and how far you are to that damn diamond cup.

It really makes you try harder and substantially increased the length of the game for me.

Though apparently you only get 1 shot here. I don't like that system as much though. It's much more fun to keep practicing and improving on the leaderboards (or falling back!). I've spent entire days on a challenge on Rayman Legends trying to get the diamond cup (which I managed to do yesterday!). Something like that really adds to the replay value and since the game is $10 already I feel it's a good idea to have.

Amir0x

Banned
Can friends leaderboards not be updated into the game? Seems like it'd be a fairly simple thing to do, and it's one of the sole universal complaints.

This game is fucking amazing, so far my GOTY 2014 ;)

Chopper

Can friends leaderboards not be updated into the game? Seems like it'd be a fairly simple thing to do, and it's one of the sole universal complaints.

This game is fucking amazing, so far my GOTY 2014 ;)
I dunno about GOTY (that's gotta be Tearaway for me) , but it is fucking fantastic.

I do find myself flicking the stick randomly, only referring to the Tricktionary if a challenge requires it, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm still getting to grips with how combos work. I've found that holding R whilst grinding tends to yield better results though.

b33r

This looks like a retro-inspired 2D THPS. Is that anywhere close to being true?

It's a bit different, but it scratches the same itch. Honestly at first THPS muscle memory was hindering me, but it only took a couple hours to adjust. Game is great and loads of fun.

Amir0x

Banned
I dunno about GOTY (that's gotta be Tearaway for me) , but it is fucking fantastic.

I do find myself flicking the stick randomly, only referring to the Tricktionary if a challenge requires it, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm still getting to grips with how combos work. I've found that holding R whilst grinding tends to yield better results though.

It's 2014, Tearaway came out last year. My comment was joking about how we have only had 3 weeks of the new year so far, so saying something is GOTY is no big accomplishment right now. Although this game is legit amazing, and will definitely be remembered as I compare great games this year.

wouwie

Played the game for a while and i'm impressed. The developers really nailed the feeling of pulling off tricks and getting into the flow. At first i was complete crap at it but i'm getting better and better and it is a satisfying feeling. The gameplay is spot on and pure fun. The music is nice too.

I just achieved all the targets in the very first level. At first you think you'll never pull it off but with each try, you're doing better. Currently playing the second level but i can see this becoming crazy hard later on. It certainly has that "one more time" feeling going on and i can't wait to continue.

A job well done, Roll7!

Chopper

It's 2014, Tearaway came out last year. My comment was joking about how we have only had 3 weeks of the new year so far, so saying something is GOTY is no big accomplishment right now. Although this game is legit amazing, and will definitely be remembered as I compare great games this year.
I didn't play Tearaway til 2014. It's my GOTY. But yeah, I get your point. It's a pretty good benchmark!

Meader

Game is great but, man, the crashes. Must have played about half an hour now and it's crashed out 4 times on me.

Dachande

Oh man, just did the Daily Grind and placed #91 - not the run I wanted to finish with, but at least I landed it. Really feeling the sting of not being able to see a leaderboard there though, I want to see what everyone around me got!

Chopper

Someone should make an OlliOlli OT.
I agree.

Just did the Daily Grind. Placed #54 with 374,537, which I was pretty pleased with until I saw #1's score. How the FUCK did they get over a million?!

Also, I've found the first challenge I'm really having trouble with. The Parasol Bounce (gap the restaurant tables) in Port 1 is a bitch.

Edit: Got it. Eventually.

Nymphae

Banned
I've only played about an hour of this so far, but holy shit it's awesome, best game to come out of nowhere for me in a long time (maybe I'm just out of the loop, I had never heard of this thing until release day).

Only thing I am kind of bummed about is that there doesn't appear to be any way to do manuals? Either way, loving the hell out of this game.

Top Bottom