• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli Review Thread

Super fun game. I've been waiting for a great portable skating game and this is it!

Got 180,000 in the practice run, then on the real one fell down the stairs at the start and scored 0. There should be a trophy for that!

Only thing I'd like is different characters, especially a female option, perhaps with one pro and con each. A bit like how Don't Starve uses them to remix the game.

Elixist

Game looks great, interested in a ps3 version if it ever comes to fruition. And if this game is a success i'd love to see a top down isometric skate game like the GBA Tony Hawks those games are still fuckin awesome.

I'd like some soul sacrifice style updates for the live area. like letting everyone know when I hit huge milestones for perfect landings, farthest distance traveled on a face plant :p, or when I've one upped my own scores in a level. these things, or anything like them, should have toggles in the options for which ones you'd like on/off.

br3wnor

Played for about an hour. A lot of fun, would rather be playing w/ full size DS3 but whatever. Has the same addictiveness of Hotline Miami and a nice atmosphere as well. Definitely worth the $11

This game is awesome I just wish it had:

1. Leaderboards
2. Button controls for the menus (hitting x to restart would be so much easier)

Agent X

Just did the Daily Grind. Placed #54 with 374,537, which I was pretty pleased with until I saw #1's score.

What a coincidence. I just placed #54 a few minutes ago, with a score of 397,214. :)

By the way, for all of the trophy hunters out there, today's Daily Grind is an excellent opportunity to get the Combododragon trophy. As I write this, you have just a little over an hour remaining to go for it.

Edgeward

#3 in the world right now! That wont stay there long but dont ruin my parade! Doing tricks off grinds still is tricky for me, pun not intended,.

namedUser

Neo Member
Loving spots mode. I'm in the top 10 for most stages but geeeeez that Killroy dude is the top spot for almost all of em. Dude is untouchable right now

Skyzard

Banned
Laden or Lädt :p
No typos when you trying to help them.

While we are at it, button navigateable menus are also a must an maybe a face or dpad button for fast level restart instead of the touch screen.
The UI highlighting which tab is activated (e.g. career or spots) could use some work. I actually always think it is the other way around.
Also please show all challenges after a level is finished so players can see right away which they have already completed or not. At a start of a level the challenges also need a better description of what they entail so players don't need to look it up first.

And maybe an option to show one move of the tricktionary on screen which can be switched per backtouch or dpad so it is easier to learn all moves :)
Would be awesome for the trick challenges of each level and would also work great with a training ground level.

While I am very nitpicky about the UI, I like the actual gameplay even though I suck. Can't get my head around using the controls properly as they re different from what I used to but I guess it will come with time.

Great suggestions here. I can see why the spots and career thing is confusing (using grey to be the highlighted one, have to look at which button has an arrow):

pUiqbyE.jpg

Anyway, the game is great fun and very addictive but fair play, it is hard and you will need to get used to it. Feels Hotline Miami tense at times getting all the inputs down in time at first, but it gets easier and you get more in the zone.

Friend scores shown logically really ought to be added though. I would like to choose levels using buttons as well, don't mind so much after that, it seems implemented smartly. But when in menus and stuff, seems kinda iOS-ish to not have controls.

Nampad's suggestion about an optional text display describing a move and showing input - that you can flip between to help learn the moves would be killer too.

Otherwise I'm loving the gameplay itself, money well spent and can see why skating fans are really enjoying it - the planning for the moves and the manual inputs required for landing precisely - you have to be attentive and alert, helps that the animations look cool too. I'm not much of a skater at all but you don't really need to be to have fun with it. This is a nice challenging game with good mechanics. And I'm liking the soundtrack myself :)

I appreciate Tom from Roll7 coming in to post here though I do hope the game does get the continued support it deserves.

Patches would be much appreciated I'm sure - it's rare they get talked about more than the game so much unless it's really stuff that ought to be there these days tbh. Would make it a lot easier to recommend the game in the future too.

The leaderboards don't have to be Motorstorm RC good if you are that tight for time, that game implemented it brilliantly but just the basics would satisfy so many I think - it adds so much as the top score is just unreachable for most, and people like convenience - like triangle to restart :p. It would make it a lot easier to recommend the game without the reservations.

Looking forward to your next projects as well of course and thanks for bringing us OlliOlli!

- Perhaps pressing circle could exit a grind (without doing a jump or trick) ? Would help avoid some messy situations after slowing down.

ThisOne

The game took a little while to click with me. The controls felt very unnatural at first, but now that I'm used to it, I'm having a lot of fun. Some of the challenges are so annoying, though. In particular, those damn spray cans.

The game took a little while to click with me. The controls felt very unnatural at first, but now that I'm used to it, I'm having a lot of fun. Some of the challenges are so annoying, though. In particular, those damn spray cans.
I'm still trying to decide whether or not I dislike the spray cans. while they may seem annoying I like that they make you approach the level in a different way. in some cases I've had to straight up fight instinct and I kinda like that.

I just realized I don't have to hold down to jump, it's any direction? Why didn't I notice this before? THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER.

Game rocks socks, man. Loving it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Starts up Superman by Goldfinger in Music Unlimited.
Starts up OlliOlli.
Holy shit the smile on my face. So good.

MrCow

Laden or Lädt :p
No typos when you trying to help them.

Ooops :( sorry it was late already ...

I already love the game and i will bring my vita to work today so i can play it on lunch break hehehe

i guess i don't really mind that you can only use touch to navigate in this game, the touch operation is just perfect, just lift your left thumb a little to the right and you have such a quick and responsive way to restart - feels great!

Skyzard

Banned
But you could restart so much easier with triangle :p Even less effort to move your right thumb up a tiny bit - and you don't have to worry about missing it and waiting for it to get bigger at the end. Seems easy...

Playing in bed now :)

So good.

It's pretty chill just going slow and trying out tricks too. Might be pretty neat to be able to zoom in with the touch screen...but nvm :p

need to stop playing and sleep! practice for daily grind soon, seems kind of tough

Number45

Someone should make an OlliOlli OT.
Agreed. I want the game to have an OT, even though I'm still not sure I'm going to pick it up (which is why it doesn't make much sense for me to do it).

I feel like the biggest barrier to the game having any kind of longevity though will definitely be the leaderboards.

Diebuster

This thread sold me on the game and I'm glad it did. Having a lot of fun with it even though I'm complete ass at pulling off tricks.

Spent hours on this last night. Managed to almost burn out a full battery charge!

"One more go...

one more go...

one more go..."

*HOURS LATER*

"One more go..."

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Man I am bad at this game. So so bad at it..... I can't even fathom how people manage to add in spins, I still constantly mix up DOWN and X depending on what I need to land on.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm sure if you asked the devs they'd love to lend you official resources for the banner and such. If that's how that works. I can't do it. The only GAF capable device I have is my phone.

Just some quick things.
You can use the D-Pad for tricks. I bet you can't land a grind from a staircase. There are no tricks that start with the up direction. Landing a grind by pressing up or jumping by pressing up essentially gives you a dead move unless you modify it with the L/R buttons. Basically, don't jump off the ground or a rail with up. Especially don't try to do quarter circle turns out of an up jump, there are no moves. Check the move list.

Jindrael

Banned
Fantastic Game and I'm really starting to get good at it :D

Only 4 Pro Challenges left and then it's time for the RAD Mode!

Ellite25

Are some of the trophies broken? There one for unlocking all the amateur stages, which I did, but didn't get a trophy.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice the OT post above!

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
man this game is so addictive.
oh my god..
my thumbs hurt like crazy, but I cannot stop playing this game!
man!

Skyzard

Banned
^This game did some temporary (hopefully) damage to my left hand, so glad I found my grip accessory.

Two more neon pro stages to clear. Finding that pro challenge with the 50 spins is pretty tough too.

=-==--

btw it just crashed right now while I was attempting the helicoptering challenge - loaded it up in airplane mode and clicked go offline in-game. :S

Steiner84

ok.. What am I doing wrong at Base 1 Amateur?
Im trying to laserflip out of a five-o. And did it several times, but it doesnt unlock?!
Is this glitched?

edit..
fuck it lol.
I swaer, I did it several times with no unlock. Literaly RIGHT AFTER my post I did it again and it unlocked first try..
lol

Number45

ok.. What am I doing wrong at Base 1 Amateur?
Im trying to laserflip out of a five-o. And did it several times, but it doesnt unlock?!
Is this glitched?

edit..
fuck it lol.
I swaer, I did it several times with no unlock. Literaly RIGHT AFTER my post I did it again and it unlocked first try..
lol
I noticed that you have to actually land the combo for the tricks to register in some cases. So if you do the flip to another grind it won't pop until you successfully land the combo.

Also, OT.

EDIT: I never thought a sentence like that would ever come out of my mouth/fingers. First ever skateboard game to really capture me.

Steiner84

I noticed that you have to actually land the combo for the tricks to register in some cases. So if you do the flip to another grind it won't pop until you successfully land the combo.

yes, yes. i allready figured that out.
With pulling off I meant also landing it, which I did several times..
Im not sure what I did differently at the time it worked, so I think it is a bit twitchy and/or glitchy..

this game is sooo good!
DLC please!

Top Bottom