• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the fence about buying a PS Vita? Just get a PSP.

dock

I wasn't happy about the Vita when it was announced, which prompted me to buy a used white PSP-Go and apply custom firmware. I love this little handheld.

The Vita seems to be slowly coming into its own, however, and I could see myself buying one in 2014 or 2015.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Terrible Move, besides Kingdom Hearts and Crisis Core (that's operated by the way) you can get most game digitally on Vita. Not only do PSP games look way better on the OLED screen, you have access to Vita games and full remote play if you get a PS4. If you also plant to get PSN+ you are also missing out on free Vita games. You can get a Vita really cheap used.

PSP games are dirt cheap physically and some (for instance me) hate digital distribution and only want their games physically. I don't agree this is a bad decision.

BigDug13

PSP games are dirt cheap physically and some (for instance me) hate digital distribution and only want their games physically. I don't agree this is a bad decision.

Normally I'm in the "give me the physical game" camp when it comes to consoles, but I'll be damned if it isn't infinitely more convenient on a portable to simply have it all preloaded. But if you're truly budgeting it up and can live with the ghosting screen and lack of indie and Vita titles, it's a fine console, good even.

So I'm actually really considering getting a PS Vita after the price drop. Which version do you guys suggest. Keep in mind I have never owned a handheld...ever.

Yoshi

Normally I'm in the "give me the physical game" camp when it comes to consoles, but I'll be damned if it isn't infinitely more convenient on a portable to simply have it all preloaded. But if you're truly budgeting it up and can live with the ghosting screen and lack of indie and Vita titles, it's a fine console, good even.
If you're fine with the tech the PSP offers and want a good amount of PSP games, you will probably end up at a better overall price if you buy PSP and the games you want for it now, as well as a Vita later on when you're done with your PSP games.

I don't really agree.

Unless you have a boner for old SE games (Star Oceans, KH, Crisis Core) nearly everything else worth playing is working on Vita from PSP library and you get whole Vita library.

Yoshi

So I'm actually really considering getting a PS Vita after the price drop. Which version do you guys suggest. Keep in mind I have never owned a handheld...ever.

The cheapest you can get. 3G is not an advantage in games. It's not important if you've ever owned a handheld.

BigDug13

If you're fine with the tech the PSP offers and want a good amount of PSP games, you will probably end up at a better overall price if you buy PSP and the games you want for it now, as well as a Vita later on when you're done with your PSP games.

That's what I just said. Maybe my pronoun usage threw you off? I'm saying if you're wanting portable gaming on the cheap, the PSP will serve you great since the used UMD's are at rock bottom pricing.

I say go with a Vita for most digital PSP/PSX games, and have a PSP3K for UMD, EU/JP PSN accounts and emulator stuff.

The Vita is better for most games, but I find some 2D games play better on the PSP3K. If the game is very D-Pad intensive, it is usually better on the Vita. If it requires a higher level of play on the face buttons, the PSP gets the edge.

Just get both.

Duxxy3

iU7hnnFhcyIoT.gif

Yoshi

That's what I just said. Maybe my pronoun usage threw you off? I'm saying if you're wanting portable gaming on the cheap, the PSP will serve you great since the used UMD's are at rock bottom pricing.

I just wanted to make explicit that playing on PSP isn't only cheap in itself, but that itis actually cheaper to get both one after another than just buying a Vita and buying all PSP games on PSN for it :). It wasn't so clear to me (and then, maybe also not clear to other readers), that PSP is not only a cheap gaming option, but it can still be a cheaper option if you plan on buying a Vita some time down the road anyway.

on the fence? Here's what i have on my Vita right now:

Final Fantasy, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (X soon) and Tactics
Gravity Rush
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Stranger's Wrath HD
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (Launch game that still blows me away)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon's Crown
Muramasa Rebirth
NFS: Most Wanted
Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time
Retro City Rampage
Sound Shapes
Sine Mora
Guacamelee
Machinarium
Limbo