• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On This Day In Gaming History

Nightrunner

November 30, 1994
Snatcher is released for the Sega CD Sega CD in North America

0eVsHOm.png

December 9, 1994
25 years ago, Namco releases Tekken for the arcade in Japan!

Tekken was not originally conceived as a fighting game. The project began as an internal Namco test case for animating 3D character models, and eventually incorporated texture mapping similar to that found in Namco's 1993 racing game Ridge Racer. In 1994, Namco acquired developers from longtime competitor Sega, which had recently created the first 3D fighting game with 1993's Virtua Fighter. The game was originally going to be titled Rave War, but in its final stages of development it was changed to Tekken.

Directed by Virtua Fighter designer Seiichi Ishii, Tekken was intended to be a fundamentally similar title, with the addition of detailed textures and twice the frame rate. Tekken was further distinguished by its intuitive control scheme and memorable characters. Because it was developed for Namco's System 11 arcade board, which was based on raw PlayStation hardware, Tekken was easily ported to the latter. It was the first arcade game to use this board. Tekken was marketed to small arcades as a cheaper alternative to Sega's Virtua Fighter 2, which was released for the more expensive Model 2 arcade board.

latest

Last edited:
December 20, 2011
Star Wars: The Old Republic
releases for the PC PC in North America. It is the second MMORPG based in the Star Wars universe, following Star Wars Galaxies whose servers shut down just five days prior to the release of The Old Republic.

packaging-001.jpg

The game that got me into RPGs.

Fredrik

Don’t know the exact day but Commodore 64 came in August 1982, 39 years ago, went on to become the best selling computer of all time. ❤️

Still lives on through the retro market, emulators and TheC64

JB91qdy.jpg

Umbasaborne

Banned
On this day in gaming in 2006, Saints Row was released on the Xbox 360. And 15 years later, the series is still causing controversy.

I remember grabbing this game used during the summer of 07. I had the lowest of expectations and ended up having a blast. I liked it more than san andreas. Pimp can shotgun ftw

On this day in the year 2000, Red Storm Entertainment, most well known for their work on Tom Clancy games (including Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) as well as later Far Cry games, was acquired by Ubisoft.

Top Bottom