• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S6 |OT| Magic Carpet Hyde

zeemumu

Once-e1447743525798.jpg

Season 6 premiers September 25th at 8/7c

Seasons 1-4 are currently available on Netflix and season 5 will arrive on August 26th

Brief Overview:
Two Fairy Tale Characters, in love.

And then a curse hit

And they had a baby as fast as they could

To save them from an evil queen

And then a giant purple cloud came

And that's when things got knocked into 12th gear...

Main Characters

Emma Swan-Jennifer Morrison
Child of Snow White and Prince Charming, savior(formerly), and Dark One(formerly). Emma is a no-nonsense character who's gotta be getting tired of magic by now. She also happens to be dating Hook.

Regina Mills/The Evil Queen-Lana Parilla
Former main antagonist and love interest of Robin Hood. Regina recently split herself into a good and evil persona because she was unable to come to terms with the mass murder and various other evil deeds during her reign as queen. She now serves as both a protagonist and antagonist of this season

Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold-Robert Carlyle
Shady mastermind and Big Bad of the show. He is married to Belle and is expecting a child. Rumple has been torn between being good for Belle and wanting to be evil to acquire power. He seems to have given up and gone full evil.

Belle-Emilie de Ravin
Caretaker of the library and Rumple's wife. She's been attempting to fix Rumple throughout the entire series, and has by this point realized that he's probably not going to change anytime soon. She is currently in a coma because she's tired of his crap.

Prince Charming and Snow White-Ginnifer Goodwin/Josh Dallas-Prince
Parents of Emma Swan and sheriff and mayor of Storybrooke, respectively. They struggle with being good parents to Emma after feeling guilty for orphaning her for over 20 years. They do their best to serve as a moral compass but eventually accepted that Emma had grown up without them and decided to have another kid.

Zelena/Wicked Witch of the West-Rebecca Mader
Magic prodigy and sister of Regina. Zelena was jealous of Regina's life and the fact that Cora chose to keep Regina but not Zelena, completely ignoring the fact that Cora was a monster. She goes to such great lengths to upset Regina that she kills Robin Hood's ex wife and disguises herself as her just to force Robin to go back to his wife and get her pregnant. She and Regina have since forgiven each other after realizing that they used to be best friends before having their memories wiped and murdering Zelena's ex boyfriend Hades.

Hook-Colin O'Donoghue
Legendary pirate and Emma's boyfriend. He has a hatred of Rumplestiltskin for killing his girlfriend and cutting off his hand, and has spent a considerable amount of time in the underworld being tortured by Hades after being turned into the Dark One. He has since been resurrected.

Henry-Jared Gilmore
Biological son of Emma Swan and adopted son of Regina. Henry has had a difficult time accepting magic lately, but eventually came to accept that magic is pretty unavoidable in his current life. He also has the power to make anything happen using a magic pen but doesn't use it because Spider-Man responsibility quote.

Newcomers

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde-Hank Harris/Sam Witwer

Dr. Jekyll is the timid groundsman of a large facility within the Land of Untold Stories run by his alter ego, Mr. Hyde. Jekyll has since created a potion to separate himself from his evil half and managed to escape to Storybrooke, followed by Hyde who is being assisted by Rumple.

Aladdin-Deniz Akdeniz

The apparent former savior of some other land. Aladdin has since retired and become a recluse, but appears to have been called back into action with the arrival of Jafar.

Jafar-Oded Fehr

Antagonist and arch-enemy of Aladdin (and Alice from Alice in Wonderland, but that's a story for a different time).

Jasmine-Emmanuelle Chriqui

Love interest to Aladdin and daughter of the sultan.

Story So Far....

Once Upon a Time...

Season 1-Emma came to Storybrooke and broke the curse, restoring everyone's memories. Magic is brought to the real world by Mr. Gold.

Season 2-Cora and Hook come to Storybrooke. Hook turns good and Cora is killed by Snow White. Regina also turns good to earn the respect of Henry, who is kidnapped by an anti-magic cult and taken to Neverland. Mr. Gold finds his long lost son, who is also Henry's father.

Season 3-The main characters go to Neverland to save Henry and defeat Peter Pan, who is also Mr. Gold/Rumple's dad. Rumple sacrifices himself to kill Pan. Another curse transports everyone but Emma and Henry back to the enchanted forest, and then another curse sends them back to Storybrooke after they encounter the Wicked Witch of the West/Zelena, who is Regina's sister and plans to use time travel to destroy her happiness. She also ends up causing Rumple's son to die in order to resurrect Rumple. Emma and Henry are brought back to Storybrooke by Hook and Regina defeats Zelena, who is "killed" by Rumple which triggers a time portal that sucks Hook and Emma through. They find a way back (bringing back Robin Hood's wife with them, while Robin Hood is currently dating Regina) and accidentally release Elsa from a Magic urn that was also brought back with them.

Season 4-Elsa's aunt plans to cause all of Storybrooke to kill each other so that she, Emma, and Elsa can be BFF's forever. This doesn't work out. Elsa (and Anna and Christoph because they were there too) return to their world. Robin's wife is revealed to be Zelena and she is also pregnant, and is placed in an insane asylum by Regina. Mr. Gold is revealed to have helped her in her plans and has also been absorbing wizards with a magic hat and is forced out of Storybrooke by Belle, and returns with Cruella and Ursula with plans to find a man known as the author to get him to write them new happy endings. He does just that and reverses the roles of the heroes and villains, but is stopped by Henry, who becomes the new author and turns everything back to normal. Rumple starts getting consumed by the darkness in his heart, and the darkness is removed from him completely to save his life, but as a result, it becomes uncontrollable and Emma binds herself to it to save everyone else.

Season 5- The gang travels to Camelot to find a way to cure Emma of the darkness, shenanigans ensue, Arthur turns out to be evil and wants the dagger to complete Excalibur, and Hook is turned into a dark one by Emma to save his life. Emma resolves to wipe everyone's memory (yes, again) and channel ALL the darkness into Zelena and then kill her, but the plan goes south and Hook ends up sacrificing himself to cure them both of the darkness, which actually got funneled into Rumple as part of his many Batman gambits. Everyone goes to the Underworld to save Hook and help several dead minor characters get written out of the show cross over. Hades has a thing for Zelena and teleports her and her kid to the underworld to form a relationship so he can break out. They fail to save Hook and go back to the real world to stop Hades from assassinating Zeus, and Robin is wiped from existence in the process. Zeus ends up resurrecting Hook for doing such a good job, and then everyone gets sucked into Steampunk Realm The Land of Untold Stories, where they meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, who are now split into two different people. Regina uses the same method to split herself into a good and evil half, and destroys the evil half, who immediately reforms elsewhere and kills The Dragon (don't worry about who he is, it's not important). Hyde brings the entire population of the Land of Untold Stories to Storybrooke and now he's gonna do some stuff.

Relationship Chart

This section has become too complex to effectively keep track of. Here's a GIF to sum it up.

awkward-moment-1.gif

OT 5

Never really realized how the relationships were so fucked up until I saw that gif.

Anyway, I hope Hyde Queen fucks shit up. Avenge your lover!

ascii42

At this point we're probably lucky The Land of Untold Stories doesn't look like a slightly different Storybrooke.
Never really realized how the relationships were so fucked up until I saw that gif.
At some point I realized Hook had chased after both Henry's paternal grandmother and mother.

Took a second to try to write these relationships. It got complicated so quick.

We have Regina step-mother to Snow, who has Swan, who then has Henry. Regina is his step-mother and also great grandmother. We have the Rumple having Baefire with Killian's future girlfriend/wife (?). Rumple also had relations with Cora. Killian was also Baefire's kinda sorta father replacement.

My head is already hurting.

DedValve

Banned

We have Regina step-mother to Snow, who has Swan, who then has Henry. Regina is his step-mother and also great grandmother. We have the Rumple having Baefire with Killian's future girlfriend/wife (?). Rumple also had relations with Cora. Killian was also Baefire's kinda sorta father replacement.

Whats this about Regina being snows step mother?

Man when are we getting a kingdom hearts story? We are already there lmao.

zeemumu

Whats this about Regina being snows step mother?

Man when are we getting a kingdom hearts story? We are already there lmao.

Regina ended up marrying Snow's father after Cora killed her boyfriend, making her Snow's stepmother.

So Regina is Snow's stepmother but she's also Henry's adopted mother making Henry and Snow non-related siblings but they're also related because Snow is Henry's grandmother.

And Hook has dated both Henry's mother and grandmother.

Gets even weirder when you realize that Zelena is technically his aunt so her and Robin's baby is his cousin and Hades was almost his uncle.

Is that Jafar a different Jafar from the Wonderland show?

Actor-wise? Yeah. I don't know about the plot. Based on that trailer he still has the carpet.

Hook may have taken being a father figure too far by dating Baelfire's mother, then took it in a weird direction by dating Baelfire's ex girlfriend and becoming a sort of father figure to Baelfire's son.

ascii42

Regina ended up marrying Snow's father after Cora killed her boyfriend, making her Snow's stepmother.

So Regina is Snow's stepmother but she's also Henry's adopted mother making Henry and Snow non-related siblings but they're also related because Snow is Henry's grandmother.

And Hook has dated both Henry's mother and grandmother.

Gets even weirder when you realize that Zelena is technically his aunt so her and Robin's baby is his cousin and Hades was almost his uncle.

Actor-wise? Yeah. I don't know about the plot. Based on that trailer he still has the carpet.

Hook may have taken being a father figure too far by dating Baelfire's mother, then took it in a weird direction by dating Baelfire's ex girlfriend and becoming a sort of father figure to Baelfire's son.
Also I guess Belle is Henry's step-Grandmother and Peter Pan is Henry's great grandfather. And he has an uncle that's like 15 years younger than he is. And Ingrid tried to make Emma her sister, which would have added Anna and Elsa to Henry's extended family.

Sober

Jafar is probably just a recast cause Naveen Andrews couldn't do this and film Sense8.

Although if you want to be obtuse as fuck you could make "Jafar" a dumb title thing that weird viziers or wizards take on and they always happen to be corrupt power hungry mofos.

I bailed like halfway through last season... is it even worth catching up for s6?

It's still the CaptainSwan show... *Gags* Like okay, this show's target audience makes catering to ships understandable but oh my god...

I wonder what kind of bad kind of cheesy things they'll have Henry doing this season.

It's still the CaptainSwan show... *Gags* Like okay, this show's target audience makes catering to ships understandable but oh my god...

I wonder what kind of bad kind of cheesy things they'll have Henry doing this season.

I never really understood that pairing. Like in the context of the show, it's weird at best and disturbing/creepy at worst.

Season starts in under an hour.

Edit: Damn it seems like way more commercials than normal. Wasn't even like 5 minutes between them.
Twist was kinda good.

zeemumu

I'm calling bullshit on
Morpheus baby.

How the hell does that baby know things that he wasn't there for?

I think it's just a guy working for Hyde to screw over Rumple on their deal.

It's a trick I tell ya

sparkzero

I'm calling bullshit on
Morpheus baby.

How the hell does that baby know things that he wasn't there for?

I think it's just a guy working for Hyde to screw over Rumple on their deal.

It's a trick I tell ya

I think it's legit. How else could he wake her up then?

But I suspect the
oracle girl is Jafar in disguise. I mean she has a staff with red glowing eyes and a red parrot!

Stopped watching at some point during Season 3. I felt the series was kinda loosing quality and the story should be wrapped up more tightly.

Is it worth going back?

zeemumu

I think it's legit. How else could he wake her up then?

But I suspect the
oracle girl is Jafar in disguise. I mean she has a staff with red glowing eyes and a red parrot!

Some other loophole using science. Science > magic in some regards.

She's either that or Archmage Khadgar

Stopped watching at some point during Season 3. I felt the series was kinda loosing quality and the story should be wrapped up more tightly.

Is it worth going back?

Its hasn't gotten near as awful as I thought S2 was. But like most it has its ups and downs.
Frozen stuff in S4 was great,
1st half of 5 was decent 2nd half wasn't that great.

I guess they recast Aladdin too huh?

When was Aladdin in?

I'm sick of the never ending cycle of drama between certain characters but didn't look bad, hopes slightly raised for this season, new, I'm assuming younger but older looking Jaffar is going to take some getting use to. Too bad they couldn't get Oded Fehr in the first place.

Evil Regina is best Regina if only for her style.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wow this thread is dead.

I'm excited Once is back and hyped for another new ep tonight. Not sure how new villain Jafar and Aladdin are supposed to fit into anything yet, then we have Hyde and Evil Queen as villains plus whatever Rumple's plotting next. It feels a bit bloated but now that I heard they are sticking to one arc over the course of the season, hopefully it's not too many villains for them to juggle.

Really hope Wicked Witch doesn't go evil again though, I was so happy her and Regina were finally at peace, especially after managing to save both their parents in the Underworld last year.

zeemumu

What do you mean you never faced the Evil Queen by running away. Snow you were running away all the time.

Never actually read
The Count of Monte Cristo
so I had to fill in the blanks with what I know from V for Vendetta.

Decent episode but I'm worried that Zelena's failure to properly empathize with Regina might lead to her turning again. I mean she can sympathize with her, but as far as empathy goes, she doesn't seem to understand why losing Hades probably doesn't compare to losing Robin, or that, her fault or not, Regina needs time to stop blaming Zelena for Robin.

First couple episodes have been decent aside from another show doing the "mystery death/killer" gimmick, I had enough of that with Arrow and AoS last season, actually last two seasons of Arrow used it.

Oh man, that scene with Regina and the Evil Queen in the woods looked rough.

Sober

First couple episodes have been decent aside from another show doing the "mystery death/killer" gimmick, I had enough of that with Arrow and AoS last season, actually last two seasons of Arrow used it.

Oh man, that scene with Regina and the Evil Queen in the woods looked rough.
It was everytime they cut to a wide shot with both of them in it. Luckily I love Lana Parilla's acting enough to ignore it.

Really cool to see Craig Horner back on TV even for an episode. Wonder if he's gotten much to do US-wise since Legend of the Seeker. Ah, I miss that show.

zeemumu

Damn, this Lady Tremaine is a monster. I actually don't mind it when this show goes all in with pure douchebag characters like her and Cruella and Peter Pan. Most villains have some kind of sad backstory so you can sympathize with them so the straight up crazy villains stick out more because you know they won't hold back for anything that isn't a straight up selfish reason.

Sober

Damn, this Lady Tremaine is a monster. I actually don't mind it when this show goes all in with pure douchebag characters like her and Cruella and Peter Pan. Most villains have some kind of sad backstory so you can sympathize with them so the straight up crazy villains stick out more because you know they won't hold back for anything that isn't a straight up selfish reason.
Lady just straight up stabbed Ella like it was nothing, damn that's cold.

zeemumu

I'm starting to wonder if Regina's my favorite character because she's one of the only character to undergo any form of permanent character development. I went back and watched a few scenes from the previous seasons and it's immediately obvious how much Regina has changed over the years. Her vendetta against Snow is gone, she's able to use light magic now, she's been working to regain the trust of Henry and everyone else in the town even though she doesn't think she deserves it, and she's given villains every opportunity to reform in the hopes that they'll come around like she did.

But when I look at everyone else, they still remain somewhat the same.

Emma's still shutting people out every time something happens to her even though the story told us that she's supposed to be over that by now

Snow and Charming haven't really had any arcs to develop in a while but most of their previous ones clear up by the end of half a season

Zelena is still acting like a child and demanding sympathy and attention that she has yet to actually earn

Rumple is still scheming for power and boomerangs back and forth between that and being a decent person every season

Henry's....Henry.

The only other two main characters that I can think of who have changed are Belle and Hook with Hook deciding to become more decent and Belle finally wising up to Rumple's bullshit.

This show died for me midway through season 5. Did it ever improve during the second half? I think I got as far as them trying to use a fucking oak tree to get back to OG Storybrook. Henry was still debating what he should do as the author or some shit.

I don't know, the show went off the rails by S3 and I just hung on because I had loved the show for so long. Is S6 any better?

Season 3 is around the time I stopped watching, and reading that summary in the OP is probably why. Killing off Neal and then having Emma and Hook together, nah son. I did catch some of the Frozen stuff from season 4. Didn't know they did Sword in the Stone in season 5.

zeemumu

I didn't actually think about it until Regina mentioned it, but yeah. Belle's been hopping between prisons and curses throughout most of the series.

Chronologically she was Rumple's maid-slave, then got out, then was Regina's prisoner, then Regina's prisoner again, then amnesia cursed, then became Lacey, then got better and dumped Rumple, then became his wife in the Heroes and Villains world, then got sucked into the underworld, then sleeping cursed, and
now she's stuck on a boat.

And I'm both upset and okay with them getting rid of
Hyde so early. On one hand, Hyde was a really good villain and all of his scenes were awesome, but on the other hand the "villain of the mid-season" thing was getting old. I was expecting this "Hyde has the dagger" thing to carry for several more episodes. I'm indifferent to Jekyll being gone, though. He didn't have a lot to do.

Regina didn't hesitate to tell Emma that she'll probably have to die to stop her Evil Queen and Emma's still holding onto that probably Jafar-induced prophecy and hiding it from pretty much everyone but Archie since the start of the season despite that being her major character flaw that she was supposed to have gotten over last season.
At least Belle adopted a "I'm tired of your bullshit, Rumple" stance that doesn't seem likely to change soon, or at least until the twist that the Morpheus guy wasn't her magic future baby happens. I still don't buy that. It's far too deus ex machina and raises too many questions.

marathoned through this season with the wife, she loved all the princess stuff but goddamn is every woman now in OUAT world a princess now?

The Jasmine reveal was lol, like "hey! Its a new character who is not white! I wonder who it could be!!" I hope they bring in Genie, Iago, and the monkey. Its the princess from Galvant, right?

I'd like the show to end with this season, go on a 2-3 year hiatus, and reboot again but this time with a clearer storyline in mind and a 5-6 season arc sketched out. Its just too silly with all the sudden plot shifts and coincidences, like how Snow, Rumple, and Regina are somehow involved with every single persons life from like 400 different universes.

The Peter Pan season was probably the top as far as a structured story went, after that its just been fairy tale Mad Libs. Still fun to watch I guess from a "hey, cool! I remember Cinderella!" but the writing itself is really bad now.

marathoned through this season with the wife, she loved all the princess stuff but goddamn is every woman now in OUAT world a princess now?

The Jasmine reveal was lol, like "hey! Its a new character who is not white! I wonder who it could be!!" I hope they bring in Genie, Iago, and the monkey. Its the princess from Galvant, right?

I'd like the show to end with this season, go on a 2-3 year hiatus, and reboot again but this time with a clearer storyline in mind and a 5-6 season arc sketched out. Its just too silly with all the sudden plot shifts and coincidences, like how Snow, Rumple, and Regina are somehow involved with every single persons life from like 400 different universes.

The Peter Pan season was probably the top as far as a structured story went, after that its just been fairy tale Mad Libs. Still fun to watch I guess from a "hey, cool! I remember Cinderella!" but the writing itself is really bad now.

Honestly for me this show is still sailing on the love I had for Season 1.
Despised Season 2 but everything else has been fine to decent.

Top Bottom