• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"One flew over the cuckoo's nest" has to be one of the best movies ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7581168_orig.jpg

1975....young Jack Nicholson.....

- Great performances from every actor
- The soundtrack is amazing
- Jack Nicholson, Danny deVito, Louie Fletcher, Christopher Lloyd...holy shit ..so funny and sad at the same time. Tragic comedy at it's best
- The ending is fantastic
- Milos Forman's best film
- cinematography, screenplay and atmosphere is incredible

Thoughts?

I love the movie but I remember I felt like suicide when I watched for the first time. I felt so, so depressed.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss." :D

Definitely one of my favorites, and Nicholson's best performance imo. Saw this at the right time as I was just getting into watching older, acclaimed movies. Amazing film, has really stayed with me over the years. I hear the book is oodles better though, and I believe the author had the notorious quote (paraphrasing) in response to a question if he'd see the film, "Would you want to see your child being raped?" A little dramatic but hey, guy was passionate about his work.

Flynn

This is the first movie I saw in the theater. My aunt and grandmother took me when I was a baby.

It was the '70s.

I respect the movie and the performances are great but I've always not liked this movie.

Its whole tone and vibe are very off-putting and creepy to me. Its a very uncomfortable watch, not in the normal way of violence or awkwardness but it just creeps me out overall.

Also doesn't this film have a horrible portrayal of Electroshock therapy and made people think its some barbaric practice or something even though its quite safe and effective?

RangerX

Banned
Can't say I disagree, its a masterpiece. Brilliant portrayal of what happens when there is mindless adherence to meaningless rules. As a sociology major its an utterly fascinating film.

The ending... I mean, there's some sense of hope throughout the movie that it's going to be nice and happy, and then... Ouch. I genuinely never saw it coming.

I respect the movie and the performances are great but I've always not liked this movie.

Its whole tone and vibe are very off-putting and creepy to me. Its a very uncomfortable watch, not in the normal way of violence or awkwardness but it just creeps me out overall.

Also doesn't this film have a horrible portrayal of Electroshock therapy and made people think its some barbaric practice or something even though its quite safe and effective?

safe and effective?

Futureman

I'll get around to it. Wanna read the book first.

Some day.

why don't you PUT YOUR DUFF DOWN and get on it?

jk.

I've seen the movie a few times and read the book. I own like 3 movies and it's one of them... def one of my favs but haven't seen it in so long.

The Always Sunny parody is great.

Can't say I disagree, its a masterpiece. Brilliant portrayal of what happens when there is mindless adherence to meaningless rules. As a sociology major its an utterly fascinating film.

The whole thing is fascinating, including the book, which was inspired by LSD.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I guess reading the book 1st was a mistake because I was disappointed when I saw this movie years ago. I'll watch it again tho.

jblank83

Nicholson's work during that period is fantastic. We all know Chinatown and The Shining.

Five Easy Pieces and The Last Detail are great, lesser known Nicholson movies as well.

slider

I remember the book feeling/being quite different to the film. The details escape me right now unfortunately. Loved both though.

Leynos

Fantastic film. I read the book, but remember little of it.

And can't speak of this film without mentioning one of the most hated villains out there: Nurse Ratched.
MV5BMjE4MTQ3ODc4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYzNTIwNA@@._V1__SX934_SY375_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom