• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bombshell would be Shanks showing up or having a major flashback involving a character like Roger, Kaidou or Whitebeard. Not sure what sort of event it would be if Luffy defeats Big Mom or the other way around. It would be like the story going off the rails when Oda just worked so hard starting the engines again after Dressrosa.

smurfx

get some go again
luffy might be able to take down big mom depending on the kind of people that show up to the wedding. if what pekoms said is true then many that show up to her parties only go because they are afraid of angering her if they don't show up. that means that many might betray her if they could become allied with somebody with the strength to take her down. on the other hand luffy might be able to ally himself with a ton of powerful pirates at the wedding and bring them back with him if he goes against kaido. the wedding arc might be a second power up arc for his alliance.

luffy might be able to take down big mom depending on the kind of people that show up to the wedding. if what pekoms said is true then many that show up to her parties only go because they are afraid of angering her if they don't show up. that means that many might betray her if they could become allied with somebody with the strength to take her down. on the other hand luffy might be able to ally himself with a ton of powerful pirates at the wedding and bring them back with him if he goes against kaido. the wedding arc might be a second power up arc for his alliance.
Or, the main baddies will be the Vinsmokes.
Big Mom herself might become an ally with Luffy which wouldn't surprise me and would hype the shit outta the Wano confrontation.
I can see them trading blows but I don't think we're getting a traditional style arc where Big Mom is this major antagonist like Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, CP9, Moria, Hody, Caesar, or Doflamingo.
All those guys wanted to destroy countries and kill innocents which fits more for Kaido right now from what's been shown.

100 chapters for Doffy so about 200 for this vs Yonko major war arc? I can't handle it.
Agreed, but to be fair most of the arc was setting up the alliance and also giving Rebecca and one-leg sama enough panel-time.
I don't think Luffy and Big Mom are going to have a serious battle after Luffy randomly exclaimed he wasn't going to fight her.

I wonder what that was all about.

Firestorm

Big Mom kills your loved ones if you refuse her summons and delivers their head to you in a box. No sure where this idea she isn't that murderous or evil comes from. She seems by far like the one Luffy can't deal with without finishing her off or making an ally. Otherwise he has a lot of people who could be targeted.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Big Mom kills your loved ones if you refuse her summons and delivers their head to you in a box. No sure where this idea she isn't that murderous or evil comes from. She seems by far like the one Luffy can't deal with without finishing her off or making an ally. Otherwise he has a lot of people who could be targeted.

The contrast I see people talking about is Pekoms. With how "likeable" he's been and how he's aiding in this adventure makes it seem as if she won't be as evil as first thought.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Big Mom is the most blatantly evil character in the series so far, besides maybe Blackbeard. The difference between her and Blackbeard is that Blackbeard has some endearing traits - determination, charisma, etc. - whereas Big Mom is a childish, ruthless mob boss that not only has no redeeming qualities but is monstrous in both behavior and appearance.

Oxn

Big Mom is the most blatantly evil character in the series so far, besides maybe Blackbeard. The difference between her and Blackbeard is that Blackbeard has some endearing traits - determination, charisma, etc. - whereas Big Mom is a childish, ruthless mob boss that not only has no redeeming qualities but is monstrous in both behavior and appearance.

Huh? I dont get that at all.

Edit: i shall redact this statement

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Blackbeard isn't very vindictive so far. He's goal orientated and isn't afraid of murder. Big Mom though, that's some cold shit.

smurfx

get some go again
I cant see an alliance with Big Mom at all, she is too villainous. I think the Vinsmokes are more likely to be allies.
the vinsmokes are probably even more evil than pirates. if they ally with luffy then expect them to betray him at the request of the world government or something. luffy has a chance to pick up a bunch of pirate crews at the wedding but they wont be the same kinda allies as his main alliance. they will all be in it to gain power but that isn't a bad thing either as luffy will need all the power he can get. at the end luffy will tame them all and take over all of kaido's territory.

Not that she isn't murderous, just that she won't fight Luffy in a big one on one as the main antagonist of the arc.
I cant see an alliance with Big Mom at all, she is too villainous. I think the Vinsmokes are more likely to be allies.
The Vinsmokes have a relation to the WG so I doubt it.

the vinsmokes are probably even more evil than pirates. if they ally with luffy then expect them to betray him at the request of the world government or something. luffy has a chance to pick up a bunch of pirate crews at the wedding but they wont be the same kinda allies as his main alliance. they will all be in it to gain power but that isn't a bad thing either as luffy will need all the power he can get. at the end luffy will tame them all and take over all of kaido's territory.
Yes, they are probably evil but since they already have an alliance with Big Mom, I wouldn't be surprised if they betray her first and join Luffy. Like, For example: "I can give you my stupid son back but first we take down Big Mom and all the spoils are mine." Something like that could happen, I believe. But I'm just saying that because I don't know anything about them. lol

The Vinsmokes have a relation to the WG so I doubt it.

Isn't that mostly speculation based on that guy in the elder stars having blond hair?

But the Germa 66 are known as a legendary evil army of assassins. They easily have a worse reputation than Big Mom for being evil. The fishmen were even fairly happy with being protected by Big Mom if you compare them to Dressrosa.

RomanceDawn

I didn't think so at first but I can see Big Mom's role going either way right now. Knowing what she does to countries who can't keep up with the candy shipments is pretty villainous. Knowing what she does to people who are connect with folks who don't attend her Tea Parties is just as bad.

Then we have only half the crew going to see her directly, an all out war leading to the total defeat of the Big Mom Pirates is not happening without the rest of them. If you want to use Doflamingo as a counter argument, keep in mind that Doffy was the 8th War Lord the crew had to deal with after confronting every single one up to that point and defeating 2 out right in the process.

Luffy full on threatens her on Fishman Island but then one of her seemingly more important subordinates feels completely indebted to the Straw Hats. And way before that another of her potential crew mates/daughter is also completely indebted to the Straw Hats. The timing of Lola actually making it to the next Tea Party is actually perfect because 2 weeks ago story time, her and her crew were in all likelihood on their way back to the New World and their next destination was Saboady.

I could see Sanji's cooking and Jinbe's crew complicating the situation even more.

I don't think she'll ever be a Shanks but I wonder if she'll ever get outright defeated by the Straw Hats. I want to say yes absolutely, only not in the coming arc. I could see her being more of a frienemy at least for a while.

Metal B

Who actually believes, that Luffy's sneaking mission doesn't end in a big fight?
The last time he tried that, he created the biggest prison riot in the history of the most secure prison in the world. Especially with his new "No running away" philosophy.

Then we have only half the crew going to see her directly, an all out war leading to the total defeat of the Big Mom Pirates is not happening without the rest of them. If you want to use Doflamingo as a counter argument, keep in mind that Doffy was the 8th War Lord the crew had to deal with after confronting every single one up to that point and defeating 2 out right in the process.
There is the possibility, that Luffy defeats her indirectly. You don't need to physical defeat her, but weaken her enough, so she losses her title has a Yanko.
One hint in this direction could be the political weeding. I could see, Big Mom actually needing the support of the Vinsmokes to stay in power. So just by getting Sanji back, Luffy could ruin her without actually fighting her directly. Capone Bege might be counting on it. It would be strange, if not all of the Worst Generation would try to defeat a Yanko in some way.

The only way the Strawhats can defeat Big Mom now is if there are allies going to the Tea Party as well. For example, Jinbei or Hancock is there so it would be Luffy + one shichibukai level vs. Big Mom.

Isn't that mostly speculation based on that guy in the elder stars having blond hair?

But the Germa 66 are known as a legendary evil army of assassins. They easily have a worse reputation than Big Mom for being evil. The fishmen were even fairly happy with being protected by Big Mom if you compare them to Dressrosa.
Just on the wanted poster stuff. Whoever Sanji's father is, Elder Star or not, he has some connections to the WG to get that poster out.

Sanji says that "the man" who arranged the wedding and made the wanted poster say only alive are the same person so this rules out the WG just being proactive in recognizing Sanji's importance on their own.
Who actually believes, that Luffy's sneaking mission doesn't end in a big fight?
The last time he tried that, he created the biggest prison riot in the history of the most secure prison in the world. Especially with his new "No running away" philosophy.

There is the possibility, that Luffy defeats her indirectly. You don't need to physical defeat her, but weaken her enough, so she losses her title has a Yanko.
One hint in this direction could be the political weeding. I could see, Big Mom actually needing the support of the Vinsmokes to stay in power. So just by getting Sanji back, Luffy could ruin her without actually fighting her directly. Capone Bege might be counting on it. It would be strange, if not all of the Worst Generation would try to defeat a Yanko in some way.
Oh there will definitely be some action, no way it'll end without a hitch. I can see them exchanging blows so we get to see what a Yonko fights like.

smurfx

get some go again
i just thought of how the strawhats get involved in the reverie and that is sanji's family. with sanji getting involved with them again he can end up uncovering plans for a political assassination they have been hired for. perhaps it's king neptune they want to take out and he tells luffy about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i just thought of how the strawhats get involved in the reverie and that is sanji's family. with sanji getting involved with them again he can end up uncovering plans for a political assassination they have been hired for. perhaps it's king neptune they want to take out and he tells luffy about it.

If that's how it's going, my money would be on Vivi.

smurfx

get some go again
If that's how it's going, my money would be on Vivi.
if it does go down i see sanji going by himself or maybe with his new bride and they handle it. i don't see luffy getting directly involved as he has his own stuff to worry about. in different news this gear 4 figurine looks really good.

GENoZvV.jpg

TheShah

I got a feeling that there is going to be another Saboady type arc where Luffy learns the gap in power between him and Yonko. Still feels way too early for Yonko to start falling. Also Luffy becoming pirate king at 20 years old just doesn't sit right with me. I'm hoping for another time skip but have no idea where I would place it.

Taborcarn

Theory: Big Mom is Luffy's mom. Sanji becomes Luffy's brother in law. Big Mom allows Sanji to continue with Luffy because he's family.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Luffy's mom is going to end up being Portgas D. Rouge's sister or something

Kain

I actually think BM is not inherently bad. She seems to me like your typical tropey extremely powerful person with a childish attitude that other people close to her use to their advantage. Some character similar to Trebol could be using her and her fame for his own interests.

Then along comes Luffy, and because he is not afraid of her (mainly because he is an idiot) she sees the truth yadayada.

Luffy needs more allies to fight Kaido AND Blackbeard, and Shanks the walking corpse alone doesn't cut it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I actually think BM is not inherently bad. She seems to me like your typical tropey extremely powerful person with a childish attitude that other people close to her use to their advantage. Some character similar to Trebol could be using her and her fame for his own interests.

Then along comes Luffy, and because he is not afraid of her (mainly because he is an idiot) she sees the truth yadayada.

Luffy needs more allies to fight Kaido AND Blackbeard, and Shanks the walking corpse alone doesn't cut it.

Erm, if you don't attend one of her parties, she sends the head of one of your acquaintances (family, friend, coworker, someone) to you in a box. And she seems to keep tabs on EVERYONE in the pirate world. Knew about Sanji's connections at Baratie. (Perhaps the 3 eyed girl has some kind of clairvoyance fruit, like a more powerful version of Violet's fruit). Was ready to destory fishman island because of a 2 week delay in getting her candy (even though she could buy a ton more candy with all the treasure offered).

She seems to be a complete monster that is also unrelateable to everyone else because of her candy obsession.

Red Fire

Really curious to see big mom's power.

And the thing i want mostly from this arc is FREAKING JIMBEI TO JOIN THE MAIN CREW

Erm, if you don't attend one of her parties, she sends the head of one of your acquaintances (family, friend, coworker, someone) to you in a box. And she seems to keep tabs on EVERYONE in the pirate world. Knew about Sanji's connections at Baratie. (Perhaps the 3 eyed girl has some kind of clairvoyance fruit, like a more powerful version of Violet's fruit). Was ready to destory fishman island because of a 2 week delay in getting her candy (even though she could buy a ton more candy with all the treasure offered).

She seems to be a complete monster that is also unrelateable to everyone else because of her candy obsession.
And she eats people.

Red Fire

Wow I just read about the pirate La Buse and his treasure and his last words which might possibly be the inspiration for Roger and his last words. Very interesting stuff.

Basically he stole an enormous treasure of a vice king and hid it somewhere. Like a reeeaaally really gigantic treasure. When they captured him he threw a sheet of paper with a cryptic message to the crowd and said something like 'my treasure to whoever solves this puzzle'. When they gave him a last chance to tell em where the treasure is so he might get spared, he said 'You want my treasure? You can have it. Seek it out! I left everything in my life at a certain place!'

Many people began to search for it and until today it has not been found.

Don't know if that's something that is known but it was new to me and i wanted to share it.

I wonder how the bomb from Fishman Island is going to factor into this arc. It's most likely going to go off, but who'll be on the receiving end?

RomanceDawn

Wow I just read about the pirate La Buse and his treasure and his last words which might possibly be the inspiration for Roger and his last words. Very interesting stuff.

Basically he stole an enormous treasure of a vice king and hid it somewhere. Like a reeeaaally really gigantic treasure. When they captured him he threw a sheet of paper with a cryptic message to the crowd and said something like 'my treasure to whoever solves this puzzle'. When they gave him a last chance to tell em where the treasure is so he might get spared, he said 'You want my treasure? You can have it. Seek it out! I left everything in my life at a certain place!'

Don't know if that's something that is known but it was new to me and i wanted to share it.

I don't remember names or anything but I believe I heard this story as well a long time ago. I remember someone brought it up and everyone was freaking out. Seems like it was exactly the inspiration for the set up of One Piece.

SolVanderlyn

There was a huge theory about this that also tied into the poneglyphs and the Rio Poneglyph on Arlong Park forums a while back.

I heard about this! It's pretty cool.
The cryptogram he left behind is similar to the writings on the Poneglyphs.

SolVanderlyn

Sol, you're avatar had me thinking Blackleg was unbanned for a second >.>
I've been using Sanji avatars since before he was even a user here

Damn you Blackleg, stealing my identity... EVEN WHEN YOU'RE BANNED

A lot of the myths about pirates go back to a book called, "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most notorious Pyrates." It influenced the very popular novel Treasure Island with it's stories about buried treasure and famous pirates.

The main influence on Roger is so out in the open and obvious it shouldn't need to be explained. His image of his grinning head with the two blades underneath it is the classic Jolly Roger of pirates like Blackbeard. His name as well is pretty much, Old Roger, another name used for the black flag, and an old term for the devil.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think it could go this way:

Luffy deals with the marriage thingy somehow, no idea how yet.
They got a call on the denden mushi, it is Law or Zoro, panel shows them standing above the defeated Shogun "Kaidou is not here, he is going after Shiraoshi, he knows about her power, she is at the reverie"

Boom.

Majukun

I think it could go this way:

Luffy deals with the marriage thingy somehow, no idea how yet.
They got a call on the denden mushi, it is Law or Zoro, panel shows them standing above the defeated Shogun "Kaidou is not here, he is going after Shiraoshi, he knows about her power, she is at the reverie"

Boom.

while the whole kaiodu goesa to the reverie thing has been a theory of mine since,well since x-drake captured him,oda doesn't seem like the guy to skip potential arcs toriko-style
Theory: Big Mom is Luffy's mom. Sanji becomes Luffy's brother in law. Big Mom allows Sanji to continue with Luffy because he's family.

all the reaction big mom had to the family name "monkey d." was to connect him to garp..so it's not possible that she is his mom..it's not a case like with ace that had his mother's family name and so we didn't know who his father was and him being roger was a surprise

i don't think so...defeating a tonkou has been presented as a big deal,really big,so no way luffy it's gonna dispose of one with a team of 6 and a couple of other characters that might be added later while an entire army has to be created and a plan with steps has to be performed to get rid of kaidou...don't forget that yonkou are suposed to be kind of at the same power level,since the first definition we had of them was "the pirates that could be considered on par with whitebeard"

also,we are going into the lion's den at this point...weddings are supposed to be this big thing with tons of guests..so not only all of big mom's crew will be there (it's their base anyway),but also probably all the allied pirates,the high ranked goons,plus all the vinsmoke family ,with god knows how many competent fighters

while i'm sure that some fights will happen in the next arc,luffy it's not gonna burst from the front door and fight everyone,it's suicide

anyway,i'm really pumped uup for this whole cake arc..the setup is good and there are many possibilities..just hope oda is gonna live up to that,since lately he has been godly in the build up,but the resolution has not always been on par to that

GhostBed

Yeah the wedding guests angle is gonna be interesting. Wonder who will show up?

Hoping for a Crocodile appearance :D

Ooooh, that's definitely possible. I mainly want to see Bonney, but I don't think she'll show up again until Wano.

Lola is absolutely gonna be there, and perhaps Moriah and Absalom. Weevil has a good chance of crashing the party which would give Big Mom someone to fight other than Luffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom